• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT Canes @ Coyotes, 11/2, 10 pm EST

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
So, looks like you guys are getting in the habit of letting me do these game threads. Fine. Just don't expect any mojo out of it or anything.

Carolina gets moving for a fairly long roadie with a loop through Arizona, Nevada, Missouri and Illinois. Sort of a reverse snow bird journey. We start with lovely Phoenix where it's currently 14 degrees cooler than it is in Raleighwood ... for whatever reason ... mostly that NC laughed at that brief little fall and went straight back to hellish muggy humidity once Halloween was over. The Coyotes, while only lightly regarded around the league, have gotten off to a very respectable start at 6-5-0 and are coming off of a 5-1 beatdown of the Senators. Their defense has been stellar, as they lead the league in goals against, but the offense has been fairly blunt. They're 25th in goals scored and just not generating enough offense to make those defensive efforts pay off. Raanta has been terrific in net for the Yotes, validating the big-ish contract they gave him this summer. They're fairly young, mobile across the board, fairly well balanced and they play solid team hockey. Carolina's out-work ya approach isn't likely to yield results in this one so they've need to get their skating boots on.

Somebody can follow up on what they learn about lines and stuff online, but I don't expect a lot of changes from the last game. The lack of scoring pop on the other bench makes this a good opportunity to let Darling take another start in net, so that's what I'd guess will happen. The biggest unknown with the Canes being that guy, I think they want to sort out the general direction of his game sooner rather than later. If they can't find room to operate against the Coyotes, which wouldn't be that unexpected, then this could end up being a bit of a keeper duel. If not, then everything is going off-trend.

Last edited:
REFS: Wes McCauley #4, Graham Skilliter #24
LINES: Travis Gawryletz #67, Shandor Alphonso #52

We are 8-5 last 3 years with McCauley, 3-9 with Skilliter
ARI is 7-4 with McCauley, 5-7 with Skilliter

BestMagnificentBelugawhale-size_restricted.gif

[video=youtube;i2lKo2QojBQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2lKo2QojBQ[/video]

Last edited:
Yotes shorty, their 7th of the season and 4th consecutive game. They lead 1-0. They’re the first team since the 11-12 Devils to score shorties in 4 straight games.

Justin Williams is not a top 6 forward. These lines are stupid bad. Brind'amour will admit to or fix neither.

PP sucks. PK sucks. I get to go to bed.

Same old Canes, what a con job the first few games of the season were. Shit goaltending, shit special teams, shit defense, no offense...you cannot expect to win any games with a start like that in the first period.

Last edited:
I hate that I'm starting to feel like "I told you so" when they announced Rod as coach. But I'm quickly losing my patience with his stubbornness. Did he learn nothing from watching Peters fail miserably by refusing to change? I don't care if they are old buds, he's got to put Williams ass on the bench and leave it there. 3rd line, At Best!

I laughed at all the experts waxing on about how great the Canes defense is...TVR looks like a pylon out there, and has he ever shown an ounce of physical play? Faulk is just a continued train wreck continued from last year. Pesce better be injured because otherwise he has caught the Justin Faulk disease with his suckage. Looked like keystone cops out there in the first.

Dayum. Too much tequila in the desert for the boys. First period was a hot mess. But I'm heading for my second Manhattan so things are looking up. Come on boys!

Line changes spark the comeback and complete domination of 2nd and 3rd periods.

Canes steal a point as a result. Svech was awsome once he no longer was saddled with Martinook and Wallmark

Last edited:
I didn't watch any of this game live due to its 3 am start, but I watched some highlights on youtube when I woke up and from the looks of it they should have scored way more than they did. Good that RBA changed up the lines a bit, Svechnikov with Aho might become our Petterson/Boeser or MacKinnon/Rantanen eventually. Still it is painfully obvious that the offense is lacking and with just an average special teams this game would have been won quite easilly. What I would do is try to trade Pesce for Nylander straigt up. Pesce is on a pretty good contract and is more the kind of player Toronto wants compared to Faulk. There is no doubt in my mind that we need Nylanders offense much more than we are going to miss Bretts defense anyway so that's why I would do something like that.

Aho's streak ends, so the silly Gretzky comparisons can finally be put to rest .

Honestly, the only mentions I saw of Gretzky were those indicating that he had the league record season opening point streak. I mean, that's hardly a comparison ... unless you were hearing from some truly unhinged people that I missed.

All the "elite company" talk about the point streak. It was silly. Sure, a season opening point streak is good, but Aho will never be in the same class as Greyzky based on one stupid meaningless record. I'm glad it's over. I don't think anyone directly compared them, but it's not even worth mentioning.

Back