Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

  1. #21
    2nd Liner
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    924
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    Second period we looked better... Course it was just mostly dead instead of all dead.

  2. #22
    Hall of Famer CanadaCanes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    Have the Canes already officially joined the “Lose for Hughes” crowd after this road trip?

  3. #23
    2nd Liner
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    924
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    If they don't stop skating on quicksand.... yes...

    and I place odds that they will not stop skating in quicksand.

  4. #24
    Canes Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
    Please hire Quinneville.
    He’s gonna get the same or more money that the Isles paid Trotz, $4 million per. After reportedly cheating out on GM, do you think Dundon is going to spring for that?

  5. #25
    Hall of Famer TheBigKahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canes Country
    Posts
    4,903
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    If he wants to win.... he would.

  6. #26
    Canes Moderator brassbonanza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    Al Arbour couldn't win with this roster. Glaring needs at the pivot position need to be addressed. We need a center. Heck, we need 2 centers.
    Last edited by brassbonanza; 11-07-2018 at 08:16 AM.

  7. #27
    Legend cmaleski2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wake County v2
    Posts
    6,415
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    It looks to me like its time to seriously diminish the amount of playing time our captain gets. He looks old, slow, and overmatched just about every time he is on the ice. Like the guy, like his leadership, but his game is gone. Really really gone.

    Hopefully Justin and Roddy can see this because Justin's inability to really do much of anything positive out there in key roles is a problem.
    Last edited by cmaleski2; 11-07-2018 at 09:08 AM.

  8. #28
    All-Star
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    The Canes fall to 13th in the East.

  9. #29
    All-Star SlapShots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    I was more intrigued with last night's election results and watched those with a nice bourbon in hand after electioneering at my local precinct. looks like I made the right decision-- many of the races turned out the way I wanted-- a shift in local politics, more women in the US Congress and overall a satisfaction at being involved and engaged.

    Now, regarding the Canes. I want to say Brind'Amour was a bad hire, but I'm not there yet as he was given a starting roster of 4-5 rookies each night; the solution to goaltending was to sign Mrazek because he wanted a chance to prove himself; a needed unloading of Skinner was one thing, but not replacing his goals is another; we lack a true #1 and possibly a#2 center. If Brindy is tryng to roll four lines or even three lines, shouldn't he have the personnel required to do so? On the other hand, isn't juggling lines an option?
    Last edited by SlapShots; 11-07-2018 at 10:21 AM.

  10. #30
    Super-Star ThinIce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    The team looks lost and is playing with no confidence or attitude. The vets need to step up and make an example for the kids. Maybe get out there and start leveling a couple of guys. If I hear about how we're outshooting our opponents again, I'm gonna throw up.

  11. #31
    Super-Star Elsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    3,229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    Began the night with Ryan O’Reilly envy. Even said “empty net hat trick incoming” after his second goal.

    Figured Buffalo wanted to only send him West. But what a difference he would have made in our lineup.
    Here we are now...entertain us.

  12. #32
    1st Liner
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    Quote Originally Posted by SlapShots View Post
    Now, regarding the Canes. I want to say Brind'Amour was a bad hire, but I'm not there yet as he was given a starting roster of 4-5 rookies each night; the solution to goaltending was to sign Mrazek because he wanted a chance to prove himself; a needed unloading of Skinner was one thing, but not replacing his goals is another; we lack a true #1 and possibly a#2 center. If Brindy is tryng to roll four lines or even three lines, shouldn't he have the personnel required to do so? On the other hand, isn't juggling lines an option?
    Juggling lines is only an option if you have some options. The reasons the lines are not working is not because of the combinations, it's because we're missing some components.

    Started out missing a first or second line center - still are short that slot.
    Rask got hurt - so that makes the C hole even deeper.
    Williams seems to maybe have reached the end - so we lose a key veteran on a rookie filled roster - or we play him and have that slot as a weak spot.

    Tried moving TT down and Svetch up - but that made that 3rd/4th line ineffective with TT on it. Not that it was lighting it up with Svetch.

    Our goalie play hasn't been great by any stretch, but we've not been losing games because of poor goalie play.

    Our D has been a problem all season. No idea why that's been so poor when it should be better than last year at the minimum. I think put Pesce and Slavin back together maybe and see if that at least solidifies one pairing.

    Our PK and PP, I put on the coaches - we're good enough talent wise to be able to be at least adequate on those and we are abysmal.

  13. #33
    Hall of Famer CanadaCanes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    Quote Originally Posted by cmon3 View Post
    Juggling lines is only an option if you have some options. The reasons the lines are not working is not because of the combinations, it's because we're missing some components.

    Started out missing a first or second line center - still are short that slot.
    Rask got hurt - so that makes the C hole even deeper.
    Williams seems to maybe have reached the end - so we lose a key veteran on a rookie filled roster - or we play him and have that slot as a weak spot.

    Tried moving TT down and Svetch up - but that made that 3rd/4th line ineffective with TT on it. Not that it was lighting it up with Svetch.

    Our goalie play hasn't been great by any stretch, but we've not been losing games because of poor goalie play.

    Our D has been a problem all season. No idea why that's been so poor when it should be better than last year at the minimum. I think put Pesce and Slavin back together maybe and see if that at least solidifies one pairing.

    Our PK and PP, I put on the coaches - we're good enough talent wise to be able to be at least adequate on those and we are abysmal.
    After the obvious special teams issues, the D problem you mention is perhaps the most frustrating of all.

    Pesce is just a mess out of the gate, a shadow of his former self so far.
    Hamilton is just puzzling to try and figure out...at times asleep in his own zone, at other times he seems to get more than enough chances in the offensive zone but cannot finish most of his chances.
    Faulk has been ok, but compared to his play of last season, anything would seem better.
    Outside of Slavin, I would give the rest of the D a failing grade so far and honestly that was supposed to be their strong suit.

  14. #34
    Legend cmaleski2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wake County v2
    Posts
    6,415
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    Pesce is +7
    Slavin is -6

    As bad a Pesce looks at times when he screws up, he's actually not quite as bad as it might look overall (imperfect as +/- is)….

  15. #35
    1st Liner
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Locked Out
    Posts
    1,416
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    Quote Originally Posted by SlapShots View Post
    I was more intrigued with last night's election results and watched those with a nice bourbon in hand after electioneering at my local precinct. looks like I made the right decision-- many of the races turned out the way I wanted-- a shift in local politics, more women in the US Congress and overall a satisfaction at being involved and engaged.

    Now, regarding the Canes. I want to say Brind'Amour was a bad hire, but I'm not there yet as he was given a starting roster of 4-5 rookies each night; the solution to goaltending was to sign Mrazek because he wanted a chance to prove himself; a needed unloading of Skinner was one thing, but not replacing his goals is another; we lack a true #1 and possibly a#2 center. If Brindy is tryng to roll four lines or even three lines, shouldn't he have the personnel required to do so? On the other hand, isn't juggling lines an option?
    Is it possible to like this post?

  16. #36
    1st Liner
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Locked Out
    Posts
    1,416
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    I don't follow Left and right very well

    Can we do

    Slavin, Pesce
    Hamilton, de Haan
    Faulk, anybody?

  17. #37
    Mod Squad jeffbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    OK ... been busy, finally checking in.

    Look guys, I'm not sure why folks were riding quite so high a couple of weeks ago or why everybody seems ready to throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater now. It's a long old season and this a very young, very flawed team with some very obvious roster issues. They're going to get out of this hole and play better hockey eventually, but there was absolutely no way they were going to maintain that hot start. Not with that goaltending and not with the mix up front. Forget the D ... those guys are having fix-able issues that will largely be resolved with more familiarity among the veteran guys playing different roles with different partners. Almost nobody in this league has three awesome D pairings. Neither does Carolina. But once they get settled, if they don't have two really good pairs on this roster then I'm even more of a doddering old fool than people accuse me of.

    So I guess, excuse me for not being suicidal (or ready to commit new coach-icide) as I watch this team do basically exactly what I've been expecting from them all along.

  18. #38
    Super-Star Elsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    3,229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: GDT: Canes @ Blues 11/6 8:00

    Quote Originally Posted by Boardwork View Post
    I don't follow Left and right very well

    Can we do

    Slavin, Pesce
    Hamilton, de Haan
    Faulk, anybody?
    Yes, that would work, but the "anybody" would currently be left-shot Fleury or right-shot TVR playing his off-side.

    Left-shots:
    - Slavin
    - de Haan
    - Fleury

    Right-shots:
    - Pesce
    - Hamilton
    - Faulk
    - TVR

    So if re-uniting Slavin/Pesce:

    Slavin / Pesce
    de Haan / Hamilton
    Fleury or TVR / Faulk

    However, presumably we are seeing what we're seeing because Faulk needs a defense-first pair mate to cover his offense-first defensive deficiencies...and that's neither Fleury or TVR. So that breaks up Slavin/Pesce by pairing Slavin with Hamilton, de Haan with Faulk, and then comes the rest:

    Slavin / Hamilton
    de Haan / Faulk
    Fleury or TVR / Pesce

    However, without Faulk it could be:

    Slavin / Pesce
    de Haan / Hamilton
    Fleury / TVR
    Here we are now...entertain us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •