• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Price is Wrong

I look at the team as overachieving to this point in the season. I don't see Domi, Gallagher Tatar continuing to produce at a pace that keeps us in a playoff spot. We have yet to face any adversity As the season develops and pressure builds, we will get a sense of where we stand against playoff teams.

The lack of expectation has me not sweating the Price situation. I would rather he have a mental issue to work through than bad knees signaling chronic health issues. I wasn't a fan of the signing and feared he would have difficulty on a rebuilding team. Fans and Price himself expect excellence and at times it may not be achievable. I see us as bottom ten team. Bergevin's moves have proven astute or lucky to this point. I suspect in the long run, given his track record, the luck will run out.

I look at the team as overachieving to this point in the season. I don't see Domi, Gallagher Tatar continuing to produce at a pace that keeps us in a playoff spot. We have yet to face any adversity As the season develops and pressure builds, we will get a sense of where we stand against playoff teams.

The lack of expectation has me not sweating the Price situation. I would rather he have a mental issue to work through than bad knees signaling chronic health issues. I wasn't a fan of the signing and feared he would have difficulty on a rebuilding team. Fans and Price himself expect excellence and at times it may not be achievable. I see us as bottom ten team. Bergevin's moves have proven astute or lucky to this point. I suspect in the long run, given his track record, the luck will run out.

There are some players that are producing at a high rate that is obviously not sustainable so the offense will decrease. But there is the Weber factor.

What will his return do to the team, hard to think this team doesn’t get better with his addition so maybe that off sets some of the lowered production to be expected from Domi and Gallagher.

Its hard to forevast at this point....an improved Price since he has nowhere to go but up and the addition of Weber? We most probably stayin the playoff picture battling for a wild card spot

There are some players that are producing at a high rate that is obviously not sustainable so the offense will decrease. But there is the Weber factor.

What will his return do to the team, hard to think this team doesn’t get better with his addition so maybe that off sets some of the lowered production to be expected from Domi and Gallagher.

Its hard to forevast at this point....an improved Price since he has nowhere to go but up and the addition of Weber? We most probably stayin the playoff picture battling for a wild card spot

I am curious to see the Weber effect. I think it will take him a few months to regain his form. I expect him to look bad early, the game is so fast this season. Think he will regain form eventually, but be a non factor for a good portion of the year. Price will have to prove himself to me before I put any faith in him. My trust is shot at this point. Youth is the future, our current veteran core are gate keepers.

Last edited:
One of the marks of a bad leader is a lack of imagination. Bergevin could not imagine the team without Price -- didn't even consider any other options. The contract is a mess.

I'm starting to think some of the rumours involving Price and his off ice issues might not be such of a stretch. He looks messed up. At his best, he plays like a robot with laser sharp AI. We haven't seen that in ages.

One of the marks of a bad leader is a lack of imagination. Bergevin could not imagine the team without Price -- didn't even consider any other options. The contract is a mess.

I'm starting to think some of the rumours involving Price and his off ice issues might not be such of a stretch. He looks messed up. At his best, he plays like a robot with laser sharp AI. We haven't seen that in ages.

I think that signing was marketing realated.....this organziation had a backlash they did not expect from the Subban trade. They traded a very popular player and I don’t think Molson wanted to deal with that again by losing Price.

The organization made a decision to lock this guy up that may have had more to do with image than hockey

I think that signing was marketing realated.....this organziation had a backlash they did not expect from the Subban trade. They traded a very popular player and I don’t think Molson wanted to deal with that again by losing Price.

The organization made a decision to lock this guy up that may have had more to do with image than hockey

Totally agreed but dont go 84 mil . At least PK is still a star and probably til the end of his contract .

31 hasnt been great in 3 years . Who cares about marketing if your star player looks like a back up .

What if PK was the buffer that kept Price balanced and Bergevin screwed that up by trading him for Weber?

So all of you still think i'm crazy for wanting to trade Price 2 years ago ?

I guess that ship has sailed.....

they have faced adversity IMO - goalie sucks and best player is hurt

but you are correct that some like Petry, Domi, Tatar, etc will not continue at this pace

what are these?

quite a few thought that 2 years ago

8 years ago though...that is all you

Was I wrong ? I saw a goalie that couldn't step up in the playoffs....a goalie that was outplayed by Anderson-Lundquist-Biron.

We should have traded him after his Hart/Vezina season....highest value ever

I think most fans were starting to get fed up of Price.....and it would have been a perfect occasion to cut ties (at same time as Max). This is a big fail from both Bergy and Molson.

The thing that pisses me off is that we did not need to overpay for Price. Every superstar in this league takes a hometown discount....every single one from McDavid to Crosby to Tavares...they all took less money when they signed their big contracts. The only exceptions were Toews-Kane (but they had won 3 Cups already).

Why do you even go over 10M for Price.....they went 3M over what the previous biggest goalie contract was.......even for superstar forwards the increase between contracts isn't that steep

I think most fans were starting to get fed up of Price.....and it would have been a perfect occasion to cut ties (at same time as Max). This is a big fail from both Bergy and Molson.

The thing that pisses me off is that we did not need to overpay for Price. Every superstar in this league takes a hometown discount....every single one from McDavid to Crosby to Tavares...they all took less money when they signed their big contracts. The only exceptions were Toews-Kane (but they had won 3 Cups already).

Why do you even go over 10M for Price.....they went 3M over what the previous biggest goalie contract was.......even for superstar forwards the increase between contracts isn't that steep

Bingo Rolex , you nailed it

Lundquist signed for 8.5 , 5 years years ago

Since then no goalie ever came close and that position has now paid 5-7 mil for the most part .

Players have hit the 10+ mil in salaries and all other positions have seen new payroll ceilings being hit .

The other thing is ...he hasnt been elite in 3 years there was no need to pay for what he did

We went nowhere with him and at 31 its not the time to open the vault on this team going nowhere .

Bingo Rolex , you nailed it

Lundquist signed for 8.5 , 5 years years ago

Since then no goalie ever came close and that position has now paid 5-7 mil for the most part .

Players have hit the 10+ mil in salaries and all other positions have seen new payroll ceilings being hit .

The other thing is ...he hasnt been elite in 3 years there was no need to pay for what he did

We went nowhere with him and at 31 its not the time to open the vault on this team going nowhere .

They were afraid of being stuck like Flyers (great forwards, sucky goaltending).

But still, if they gave him 10.5M, it's because Price's agent clearly told them his client was testing the market if he doesn't get 10.5M.....no other way to explain it....there is no way any owner/GM wants to give a player a dollar more than he needs to.

the issue was signing him a year early
a risk that did not pay off

my guess is they wanted to avoid the distraction of him not having a contract but ooooooooooooops

They were afraid of being stuck like Flyers (great forwards, sucky goaltending).

But still, if they gave him 10.5M, it's because Price's agent clearly told them his client was testing the market if he doesn't get 10.5M.....no other way to explain it....there is no way any owner/GM wants to give a player a dollar more than he needs to.

Rolex .... we dont have great forwards and 31 wasnt going to change this teams outcome

If we played his bluff and went to July 1 ......the worst starting goalie in hockey last year wasnt netting 10.5 from anybody .

Back