• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Price is Wrong

It’s gotta be the equipment.
The games become too fast paced, release on shots too quick / velocity too great with the one piece sticks and players too strong.

The era of dominant goaltending is done unless there’s a reversal to slowing down the game which...won’t happen.

As the numbers prove, there’s far too many of the top goalies (with track record) who are all struggling big time...all recent Vezina winners or finalists.

Price is not old for a goalie but . . . he's had a lot of serious injuries the last few years. I think his best days are long gone, never to return.
Then how do you explain Rask, Holtby, Bishop, Bobrovsky etc. also struggling & most of whom also struggled last year...like 31.

I don’t think any of these guys will, unless they’ve got Preds / TBay / SJS D group in front of them to provide shelter.

So yes it’ll be a long 2-more seasons till 31 gets his final large bonus payout in July 2020 and then Seattle trades for him.

I'm not one to usually to usually defend Price of course, but that game reminded me of games in the 1980s, when teams like Edmonton won 6-5 and neither goalie looked too good, (its said that Fuhr would make a timely save though, to preserve the win), or all-star games where a goalie rarely shines. A very difficult game to play goal,last night, and he did make some point blank saves.What bothers me more are the games that are tighter , where he has less to do, and weak goals are scored after good saves. He has always been good in close, not so much from further out (like Roy and Dryden to some degree). That pattern has become even more obvious.

But like I said the other day, my expectations of Price now are average at best.

Last edited:
Carey Price as the potential to be the best in world as shown by his Hart/Vezina/Ted Linsay season.

Regardless of that season or the obscene salary he earns, I don’t think it is realist to expect a similar level of play from him night in night out.

We have seen enough of him to know that this will not be his standard.

With that being said, it is absurd in my opinion to think Carey Price is as bad as his 2017-2018 season.
That was much more of an outlier than the Hart season.

Those statistic re last 100 games don’t hold much weight to me for a couple of reasons.
They are more representative of the team than of Carey Price.

#1 That team in front of Price was garbage since December 2016, the beginning of that sample size.
That’s exactly when this team started it’s downfall.
They peaked October-November.

#2 It could be argued that Carey Price did not have the luxury to play with a real defenseman #1 since December 2016.
PK Subban was traded prior to the 2016-2017 season.
Incomes Shea Weber who started the season on fire making shortsighed people think Montreal may have won the trade. Weber scored half his goals of the season in October/November.
His play dipped in December like the rest of the team.

#3 Those stats are impacted big time by that ugly 2017-2018 season.
That season was pure sabotage by MB, the team had no hope or drive after losing Markov and Radulov for nothing while the competition reloaded.

As for the argument that Niemi, Lindgren or even Montoya are better than Price re their stats during the same sample size, b*tch please.

There is no way that if those backup goaltenders had played the same amount of games that #31 played during that sample size, that they end up with the same GAA or Save%.
Take Lindgren for example.
Came in and was just winning.
Until he wasn’t and came back to earth.
Plus those goalies would have had to face all the elite teams à la Washington/Tampa Bay, rivalry games à la Boston/Toronto...
Yeah, nope.
Stats staying as good, not happening.
Unfortunately, there is no way to prove that unless said games would have been played, thus allowing the delusion of some to think they are really better than Carey Price.
I mean, if someone tells you straight up that Anti Niemi is a better goaltender than Carey Price, it’s a big waste of your energy to answer anything at this point.

With that being said.

Carey Price needs to be better, 10M$ per season or not.
He also needs to have a better attitude.
Yes the whole team gave up last year, but if your goalie gives up, there is no remedy for that.
Plus he painted himself a nice little target on his back with that new contract.
Those derision cheers like last night will happen if he doesn’t play well.
He needs to take it on the chin and come back stronger.

It is extremely rare to see people defending Carey Price’s bad play or make excuses for him on this board.
Posters mostly defend him against unjustified over the top bashing, or against apple and ANANAS comparison re backup goaltender stats during December 2016-present sample size.

Carey has had a good decent team in front of him this year.....Pas d'excuses......

I don’t think any of these guys will, unless they’ve got Preds / TBay / SJS D group in front of them to provide shelter.

So yes it’ll be a long 2-more seasons till 31 gets his final large bonus payout in July 2020 and then Seattle trades for him.

If this is true, being really bad is better than being a murky middle team anyway.

If this is true, being really bad is better than being a murky middle team anyway.

Except we won't be as bad since our forwards seem to be playing a decent system that will allows to stay in most games....

We might....might......challenge for a playoff spot, even with Price being average

Except we won't be as bad since our forwards seem to be playing a decent system that will allows to stay in most games....

We might....might......challenge for a playoff spot, even with Price being average

The Habs are gonna finish around 32-38-12 this season.

I don't know if you've been watching, but the Habs have lost 5 of their last 8 games. Outside of a 3 game stretch the Habs have been one of the worst teams in the NHL.

Here is the schedule with the results. http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/schedule/_/name/mtl

Byron is injured....Weber is injured...Price is injur.......errrr....he sucks...

Get all 3 back, and we won't tank....

They won't "tank" but they will likely lose a lot of games organically. The team isn't very good.

Personally, I am looking forward to another really good draft pick.

They won't "tank" but they will likely lose a lot of games organically. The team isn't very good.

Personally, I am looking forward to another really good draft pick.

I agree that we are not a top 3 team (like our record presently shows)......but we won't all of a sudden lose all the way to a top 10 pick.

Weber will help put everyone in their comfy positions on defense.....Byron will help shoulder the load up front....right now, we are trying to make it through these injuries

The games become too fast paced, release on shots too quick / velocity too great with the one piece sticks and players too strong.

The era of dominant goaltending is done unless there’s a reversal to slowing down the game which...won’t happen.

As the numbers prove, there’s far too many of the top goalies (with track record) who are all struggling big time...all recent Vezina winners or finalists.

None of the rest are getting 84 mil gift contracts like we handed Price at 31 years of age .

We better pray that Seattle will want him at 34-35 and take on that cap hit

I agree that we are not a top 3 team (like our record presently shows)......but we won't all of a sudden lose all the way to a top 10 pick.

Weber will help put everyone in their comfy positions on defense.....Byron will help shoulder the load up front....right now, we are trying to make it through these injuries

You're delusional.

Just announced- Tukka Rask has been granted a leave of absence by Bruins to get his head straightened out

Back