• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Blackhawks 11/08, 8:30 Eastern

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Carolina looks to snap a five game losing streak and end this dismal road trip on a good note in Chicago tonight. Frankly, you guys can let me know how this one goes because I'm going to the State/Wake Forest game. Chicago is coming off a loss to Calgary and sit one point ahead of the Canes based on having one more OT loss. Woo freaking hoo. They've fired their eventual Hall of Fame coach and have struggled in pretty much every team statistical category. Except for the coach thing, that all sounds really familiar. Of course, they also have three forwards ... Kane, DeBrincat and Toews ... who can make something good happen at pretty much any given time. Carolina has one halfway decent line and they're mired in a slump after cooling down from a hot start. Neither team gets decent goaltending on a regular basis.

Carolina made a couple of roster moves that won't amount to much. Bishop and PDG are back, Roy is heading to Charlotte for their AHL weekend slate. Bottom line ... whatever. I assume Darling will go against his old team tonight and that he'll square off with Cam Ward in the other net ... and that neither of them will be particularly good. Or particularly bad. They'll just be there. So, enjoy this one if you can. I'll probably catch the condensed game on NHL.com tomorrow morning. Maybe.

Well if we do what we normally do, I hope Cam is in net for the Hawks. It would be good to make someone we like look like an otherworldly goalie.

Heard on XM/Sirius NHL Radio that it will be Crawford tonight (which makes sense for the new coach's first game at home) and Ward for Monday's game at PNC Arena.

Heard on XM/Sirius NHL Radio that it will be Crawford tonight (which makes sense for the new coach's first game at home) and Ward for Monday's game at PNC Arena.

Sure ... don't think it matters a ton either way, although Crawford is the only keeper out of the 5 involved in this game that as a save percentage north of .900

As emotional a night as next Monday might be for Cam, there is no way in heck I would start him in Carolina if I was Chicago's coach and had a choice. This isn't a forward or Dman, he is a backup goalie which means that its not necessary for him to play that game. To me it would be nuts to do so.

Timing is everything they say, Canes stroll into Chicago, who just replaced it's coach with the new guy, players want to impress the new coach with a balls to the wall effort, Canes get hit by a tornado tonight and come home licking their wounds.

Big lineup shakeup...on D. I can’t remeber who predicted it but the big change at forward is PDG for Zykov. But Slavin and Pesce have been reunited, with TVR playing with Hamilton.

Foegele-Staal-Williams
Ferland-Aho-Teravainen
Martinook-Wallmark-Svechnikov
McGinn-Bishop-Di Giuseppe

van Riemsdyk-Hamilton
Slavin-Pesce
de Haan-Faulk

Darling in goal.

Referees:
Trevor Hansen #14, Kyle Rehman #10

Linesmen:
Matt MacPherson #83, Tony Sericolo #84

The Canes record with both refs was bad last year, 1-4 with Hansen, 2-5 with Rehman. Both call the majority of their penalties in the 2nd period, 37% and 41% respectively.

Radio guys said former coach would probably have started him even tonight, knowing how players like to play against their former teams.

But, you're right, they don't have a back-to-back scenario before Monday. So why not go with your starter for both games?

An early greasy goal from Svechnikov and a PP goal from Slavin and 2-0 good guys.

Just finished a big kill too. Darling has been outstanding so far.

Fourth line on the board, PDG from McGinn and Faulk. A great forecheck shift hemmed the Hawks in, Bishop is 100% better than his last recall.

Amazing that Jordan had all those short handed goals that year with the pens. If that poor dude had a remotely decent shot he would have a half dozen this year. Painful

Eh, I hear what you're sayin' but I kinda agreed with him... the way they were storming back and we were holding on for dear life, when they got their 3rd I figured for sure at least a 4th was coming for at least OT and maybe even a 5th as well. Credit to the guys for shutting it down eventually, but it was looking like an epic giveback fail for a while there, and it sure woulda been nice to get another one in the middle of their run to stem the tide.

Eh, I kinda agreed with him... the way they were storming back and we were holding on for dear life, when they got their 3rd I figured for sure at least a 4th was coming for at least OT and maybe even a 5th as well

So, you've watch this team play recently?

Brindy also had to juggle the lines in the 3rd because Ferland had some sort of illness and only played 1 shift very early. Aho played nearly 7 minutes in the 3rd, McGinn actually had the most among forwards in the 3rd at 7:28. Bishop played nearly 12 minutes total.

Thought Darlin held his own. Gave up that one short side goal that he'd like to have back but it was a shooting gallery in there of most off the game. Decent performance for him.
TVR and Hamilton were awful.

Back