• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Plekanec placed on unconditional waivers

Got him his 1000 games in a Habs jersey. I'm sure that was basically the intent from the get go.

Yep.

I’m ok with this. I wish him well. He was a loyal Hab. He’ll probably go play in the Czech Republic or the KHL.

Actually... he hit 1001 overall.

It seems like a fine gesture to someone who played hard for the team for 15 years. It's not like he was useless in a 3rd/4th line role for a few games.

Loyalty is a 2 way street.

Аrpon Basu:
There was nothing mutual about this decision. Marc Bergevin called it a hockey decision by the Canadiens to let Tomas Plekanec go.

“I always wanted to retire a Montreal Canadien” - Tomas Plekanec, who said Bergevin approached him about a trade.

This was a question of leaving room for the young players, most notably Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

Can they somehow add Alzner's name to the official papers they sent to the league

Odd crowd running this team. Did they really expect more from Plekanec when they resigned him? Did they think he would play a major role if Kotkaniemi wasn't here, and now they don't know what to do with him ? To me, he was doing just fine as a guy to spot in and out of the lineup, and seemed to be doing it probably better than we would have expected.The fact Kotkaniemi is here really doesn't play into it I wouldn't think. We didn't see him as a top 1-2 center in any case, and if Kotkaniemi didn't make it, someone else would have to be slotted in that role, not Plekanec. Peca would be the guy he should be competing with for ice, and he could have been kept around for that. Anyway, no big deal I suppose.

Last edited:
The timing is just so odd. What has this management team learned so far to show they don’t need Pleks?

The team is sloppy, inexperienced and the PK sucks. Not to mention, Byron injured, Armia injured, Sherbak struggling. The forward depth is gone.

I wonder if they approached Pleks and asked if he would be ok playing on the 4th line and he said no. That is the only way this makes sense. Because I play him over Peca all day everyday. No chance I play him in front of Domi/Danault/KK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The timing is just so odd. What has this management team learned so far to show they don’t need Pleks?
Im assuming they’ve come to the conclusion KK can in fact take a regular shift for the full year at the NHL level something they didn’t know when they signed Plekanec in the summer as insurance policy if KK wasn’t ready for prime time

Last edited:
CapFriendly:
Terminating Tomas Plekanec's contract (cap hit: $2.25M) will save the Habs $1.79M in cap space for the remainder of the season.

Im assuming they’ve come to the conclusion KK can in fact take a regular shift for the full year at the NHL level something they didn’t know when they signed Plekanec in the summer as insurance policy if KK wasn’t ready for prime time

I doubt Bergevin can think that far ahead, but you might be right.

Back