• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Red Wings 11/10 7:00

Something like 52 shots in regulation play and 0 in OT.

If I recall correctly, I think we only attempted one shot in OT, and that was on the PP with 10 seconds left. Really? One shot attempt in five minutes of 3-on-3 against a team that had won something like 15 of its last 17 shootouts? WTF?

If I recall correctly, I think we only attempted one shot in OT, and that was on the PP with 10 seconds left. Really? One shot attempt in five minutes of 3-on-3 against a team that had won something like 15 of its last 17 shootouts? WTF?

A shot attempt by Teravainen with 3 seconds left. We had more turnovers (1 giveaway by Hamilton, 1 takeaway by Detroit) than shot attempts. But it’s hard to shoot in OT when you don’t possess the puck. That was the worst Canes OT I’ve seen in a while.

Last edited:
Not sure Brindy is putting the right personnel out there to score. Playing to win, or playing to not lose?

Aside from 1 shift with 2 dmen, I don’t think that’s the case. He started with Staal/Foegele/Pesce, then Aho/Teravainen/Slavin. After some shuffling, it was Wallmark/Faulk/Hamilton (Wallmark and Faulk for more than 1 minute), then back to the first group, then Aho’s group which drew the penalty.

Staal’s line and Slavin played more than half of the last 4 minutes of regulation, including the last 1:24 then had the break and started OT. Pesce played the last 1:10 of regulation. Maybe he should have started Aho/Teravainan but those 2 pairs are who should be out there in OT. Wallmark probably would have been changed out sooner, but those guys spent a lot of time chasing without possession and the long change probably prevented it. Wallmark came on on the fly and only came off when Darling made a save and held for a faceoff.

Using Pesce and playing keep away with such caution in OT is a doomed strategy. Get the skill out there and use possession. Then let her rip!

Using Pesce and playing keep away with such caution in OT is a doomed strategy. Get the skill out there and use possession. Then let her rip!

Agreed...I had a much bigger problem with Pesce's performance in OT than the Staal/Foegele combination.

Brief thoughts since I took a day off the internet mostly ...

Darling was Darling, don't know why anybody expects anything different. He battled for a few saves late to keep us in it, but those three goals were all right there for the saving for a decent goalie. He's not a decent goalie, in case anyone was wondering. We've got three backups and the outcome would likely have been the same either way.

That said, don't shut down in front of the guy like the Canes did on the last two goals against. In both cases you could see the D take a beat and relax and then BOOM. Guess what guys? You're not good enough for that BS. Grinders gotta grind ... all the time.

Another that said, you've GOT to score more when you've got your foot on another team's neck and are creating chances for fun. The tide ALWAYS turns in these games and when you have squandered chance after chance after chance in this league, you're basically begging to get beat. This has been a problem for Carolina for three years now, and it's largely personnel driven. Case in point ... Wallmark. That third line did enough good work to be all over the scoresheet against Detroit, but unfortunately a lot of the chances fell to the stick of Wallmark and he's just not good enough to beat a goaltender at this level on a regular basis. Neither are most of our other depth guys, Svechnikov aside. And yeah, it was a backup goaltender, but so what? He's still a pro keeper. Chipping a 35 mph shot at his chest isn't going to cut it unless opponents start suiting up blind guys. We either need guys to get better or we need better guys. Until then, we're stuck with outworking people and you can see the comment above about how that works out when you shut down for even one shift.

I'm not convinced that Staal/ Foegele is the best option in OT.

Me too, why Staal? Is he a speedy skater? Is he a goal scorer? Is he a setup man? No to all this and everyone knows it too.

Staal's assets are faceoffs, defense and using his size for checking and sometimes to screen the goalie. Are these the things we need to compete 3 on 3? No! We need speedy snipers along with speedy setup men and speedy guys that can crank the one timer. Did I mention speed?

Brindy's quotes post game said it all, he hated the third period effort and basically said his team is nowhere good enough to take any shifts off let alone a whole period off based on who they are.

Me too, why Staal? Is he a speedy skater? Is he a goal scorer? Is he a setup man? No to all this and everyone knows it too.

Staal's assets are faceoffs, defense and using his size for checking and sometimes to screen the goalie. Are these the things we need to compete 3 on 3? No! We need speedy snipers along with speedy setup men and speedy guys that can crank the one timer. Did I mention speed?

OT is about possession. Faceoff wins are huge. Who else would you put out besides Staal?

OT is about possession. Faceoff wins are huge. Who else would you put out besides Staal?

Faceoffs are rare in OT. In fact, my guess would be in most OT's there's only one, the first one. Sure, bring Staal out to win that draw and any others that might come about, but after the faceoff, get him off the ice for someone more skilled.

Sure, bring Staal out to win that draw and any others that might come about, but after the faceoff, get him off the ice for someone more skilled.

Other teams do this, in both regulation and OT situations. In OT its very simple to do when you win the face off cleanly, he can skate directly to the bench and change out with anyone after winning the face off. I 100% agree that Staal has no business being out there in OT to do anything but win a face off. Let him do that and get him out of there, not an innovative concept

Last edited:
Skill, speed, combo of both.

Definitely not "neither".

This reminded me of memories of yesteryear with Skinner and Peters...no Skinner in OT from Wild Bill...he is a defensive liability...because we know how much defense is played three on three in overtime.

In OT we just seem to lack a consistent plan. When Aho and Turbo are out, we try to do the circle with the puck thing until we find a crease. That's fine for those guys, but NOBODY else on our team can pull off that crap. And also, it looks really bad when it doesn't work ... like against Detroit when Aho, Turbo and Slavin managed to blow almost a solid minute in the offensive zone without so much as a sniff of an opening ... or a shot. But again, those guys get a pass because that stuff works for them sometimes. Which is better than anybody else on our team, for whom nothing seems to work. Let's face it. If you put Aho and Turbo out there together, that's about 60% of the creativity in the whole roster on the ice at the same time. Sad, but true. Grinders SUCK at 3 on 3. Williams is creative but too slow for 3 on 3 at this level. Hamilton could be effective but the other guys are clearly still getting used to his quirks on the ice. Svechnikov ... who knows? He's too green and too prone to dumb turnovers, so we're not going to see him much in that situation until he settles down a bit. He's like a colt who isn't used to the saddle but loves to be ridden anyway. The want to is there, as well as the can do ... he just needs some sanding off of the rough edges, which is only a matter of time. If we could cobble together two setoff forwards to use in OT, that would get you through 90% of the ice time required. We've got one, and just need to settle on a another one ... with a 3rd for the leftover time.

And in the end, you only see so many OTs over the year, so in terms of situational play, I'd rather we work on getting better on power plays and penalty kills first.

Back