• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes vs Blackhawks 11/12, 7:00 Eastern

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Canes/Hawks part deux. If it seems like we just played these guys, it's because we did. On Thursday.

Carolina gets to try and climb back from the doldrums of blowing a 3-1 lead and losing in a shootout on Saturday while Chicago ... who cares, really? I'm not even checking on what they've done since late last week. The big pre game press focus will be on Cam Ward returning to the PNC and all the emotional toil of probably walking to the wrong locker room and blah, blah, blah ... the usual. The Hawks of course, would be absolute idiots to start him tonight, given the emotions of the day, so that's probably exactly what they'll do. Carolina, of course, will do what they do for every opposing goalie and endeavor to make Cam look as good as humanly possible. This could get real weird, real quick.

Somebody else can chase down lineups and starting goalies and stuff. In Carolina's case it doesn't matter, since they're all awful. In Chicago's case it does, but again I'm thinking they'll go with heart instead of head. Same notes as before ... make their D work and keep Kane even under a little control and you probably win this one. Don't and you won't.

This entire home stand is another one of those we should gobble up the points but we probably will just sputter along and regret the lost opportunity later.

The lineup. McGinn and Foegele trade lines, Pesce is out with a lower body injury, Darling in goal.

McGinn-Staal-Williams
Ferland-Aho-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Wallmark-Martinook
Foegele-Bishop-Di Giuseppe

Slavin-Hamilton
de Haan-Faulk
Fleury-van Riemsdyk

Referees:
Marc Joanette #25, Dean Morton #36

Linesmen:
Steve Barton #59, Mark Shewchyk #92

We had Joanette and Shewchyk on Saturday too. Canes were 3-0 with Morton last year, but he’s terrible. He’s called 763 regular season games and 5 playoff games. His first game was in 2000, his first playoff game was 2014. By comparison, Joanette called his first game in 1999 and worked the playoffs 3 years later. He’s also worked 3 Stanley Cup finals including last year.

Referees:
Marc Joanette #25, Dean Morton #36

Linesmen:
Steve Barton #59, Mark Shewchyk #92

We had Joanette and Shewchyk on Saturday too. Canes were 3-0 with Morton last year, but he’s terrible. He’s called 763 regular season games and 5 playoff games. His first game was in 2000, his first playoff game was 2014. By comparison, Joanette called his first game in 1999 and worked the playoffs 3 years later. He’s also worked 3 Stanley Cup finals including last year.

Speaking of zebras, did anyone catch how brutally bad that no call was on the Red Wing defenseman that caught the pop fly and then managed to throw the puck for a pass on Saturday night without a call??? How can any NHL official miss that when you look at how long the player took to not only close his hand on the puck but how he actually made the catch, brought it down and actually made a throwing pass to boot...

Speaking of zebras, did anyone catch how brutally bad that no call was on the Red Wing defenseman that caught the pop fly and then managed to throw the puck for a pass on Saturday night without a call??? How can any NHL official miss that when you look at how long the player took to not only close his hand on the puck but how he actually made the catch, brought it down and actually made a throwing pass to boot...

I did. He almost managed a spiral on that pass. The ref shook his head, which is code for "I don't give a crap, I'm simply not calling anything until somebody gets hurt"

I think he called a hand pass though because the puck went into the neutral zone.

Still not as bad as that Boston one... Which directly led to a goal..

Maybe not in terms of outcome, but in terms of sheer time the puck was held in a guy's glove before being passed ... it's as bad as I've ever seen without a penalty. Not a hand pass call. A penalty for closing the hand on the puck.

I'm more disturbed at how many tackles go uncalled. The Canes get tackled morw than the Panthers. Carolina Panthers.

That was Mike Green who closed his hand on the puck and tossed it like he was playing fast pitch softball. Couldn’t believe nothing was called. Overall, I was not impressed with the refs. There were times both teams should have gotten calls, but that Mike Green stunt was just bad.

Irbe never played against the Canes after he left town for his last stint, he never made it back to the NHL. I assume Gerber played vs. the Canes when he was in Ottawa or Toronto? I know Burke played vs. the Canes when he was in Phoenix , he was stuck here with the Coyotes in 2000 during the big snow storm.

If Darling loses to Cam tonight, he might as well pack his bags and move. He will be run out of town like Frankenstiens monster. I don't even want to imagine the Monday (Tuesday) morning quarterbacking that will be posted all over social media.

Back