• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2019 Offseason

Re: Habs News & Notes: 2015-16 Season

Well all the Flame fans are not to happy the Habs got this guy.

Go figure. The ones who actually watched him play value him more than the people who have just looked at his vital statistics...

My only issue with getting Byron is that it goes yet again against what Bergevin said the year he got here:

"We need to get bigger and tougher to play against."

So far, this team has gotten bigger by default; it was the smallest team in the league when he got here, he had no other way but up.

Team isn't all that much tougher, but it's a step in the right direction.

A lot of the forwards drafted while Bergevin has been GM have been on the smaller side too.

So, where exactly is this focus on getting bigger? It's either you do or you don't. Look at the LA Kings, they're all big. Just about all of their draft picks are bigger players. Being big is their identity and they go out of their way be big at all levels.

After the 1st round, you draft the best player available. If they don't fit the mold of what you're looking for long-term their value comes as trade bait. Hopefully they get the opportunity first to show something that will enhance their value. Andrighetto, Reway, Audette, Bozon - they could have add value to a package more than bigger players with far less skill. This team isn't only bigger by default - they have acquired players with size and toughness. Weiss, Petry, DSP, Kassian (yeah, I know, but...), Pateryn - they aren't just bigger than the players they've replaced. MB said from the outset that everyone wants to get big and skilled so it's not like walking down a grocery aisle. It was expected to be gradual, but I personally like where they are at size-wise right now. Hopefully the skill will follow.

You can't package crap like Andrighetto or Audette. They have zero value because, in addition to not having NHL caliber skill, they are also handicapped by being small. A big player with dubious talent will always have value simply because he is big. How do you think John Scott has a career? If he didn't have size he'd never be allowed anywhere near an NHL roster. 90% of the players in the AHL have more talent than he does. But he's been in the Show because he's huge.

Byron seems like a gritty/possession player for the 4th line. I don't mind it at all. He maybe better than Flynn.

He doesn't play small at all. I think he will win some people over here.

You can't package crap like Andrighetto or Audette. They have zero value because, in addition to not having NHL caliber skill, they are also handicapped by being small. A big player with dubious talent will always have value simply because he is big. How do you think John Scott has a career? If he didn't have size he'd never be allowed anywhere near an NHL roster. 90% of the players in the AHL have more talent than he does. But he's been in the Show because he's huge.

If John Scott was drafted in the last 2 years, he would never see a day of NHL time. Find a better, more relevant example to make your point. Today, the players I mention have no value, but if they do get the opportunity to show if they can play at an NHL level and take advantage of it, then they will have value and can be flipped. My point is that you draft talent, not size. Talent will always trump, especially in today's NHL where the John Scotts are as passé as Cooperalls.

If John Scott was drafted in the last 2 years, he would never see a day of NHL time. Find a better, more relevant example to make your point. Today, the players I mention have no value, but if they do get the opportunity to show if they can play at an NHL level and take advantage of it, then they will have value and can be flipped. My point is that you draft talent, not size. Talent will always trump, especially in today's NHL where the John Scotts are as passé as Cooperalls.

Also its the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th rounds... most players bust anyway. If you get one gallagher, but four other busts, you have done well.

Mitchell is the 4th line center, not Flynn.

Don't think he said Flynn was a 4th line centre.
It is said that Byron also can play LW & RW and seems they really wanted dela Rose to start in AHL.

Back