• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Expansion Draft

If he's on LTIR, wouldn't his salary have zero effect on the cap?

It effects the way rookie bonuses count.. If any of your ELC guys hit bonuses and he is on LTIR, you will be over the cap and get a penalty for the following season.

You don't want to use both in the same year.

I thought you weren't so close to the cap that he'd be on LTIR though, but cap friendly seems to suggest that some LTIR will be needed (if you make any additions).

Pretty sure LV can sign UFA's during this time and that would count towards their player for that team. (at least thats what they said on sportsnet today)

Pretty sure LV can sign UFA's during this time and that would count towards their player for that team. (at least thats what they said on sportsnet today)
Yep. Las Vegas is currently free to negotiate with any team's UFA's between now and the expansion draft.

If they were to sign Boyle, then he would count as their pick off our roster.

I can't see Boyle having any interest in going there though, unless they offer him life-changing money, and it's far and away more than he'll get anywhere else.

Yep, UFA is going to be a tough sell for Vegas, but it could be a great opportunity for players to get ice-time if they are playing toward a big contract.

I don't think it's going to be a tough sell tbh.

They have lots of disposable cap space and can offer a life in Las Vegas. Pretty easy pitch.

There isn't much of a "life" in Vegas, unless you want to hit the clubs and strip joints while playing for a team that will probably lose a lot.

It's not that compelling a pitch just yet for players who are still in it to win it and maybe have families or want to have soon.

Hockey players wanting to hit the clubs and strip joints? Don't think you would see many of them complain. Sure it would probably be more attractive for players who are single/not attached but there are about 20 worse places to live amongst current NHL cities that don't hold a candle to Vegas. And either way they will likely be able to outbid most teams for free agents and may not be as far off of the winning trail as most people think.

yeah, not the best "family environment" even off the strip. Young single UFA's.... sure, but if you have a family, Vegas ain't cool

I'd have to disagree with the assessment of Vegas as not a good family town. I have family living there. When you go outside of the strip life is normal. How often do they visit the strip? Very rarely when you live there.

Vegas is huge, and while the strip is the focus - there are many nice neighbourhoods and gated communities to raise a family. Like most metropolitan downtown areas, you don't really want to step more than a block off the main strip.. but Vegas has a huge sprawl and lots of new developments going up.

I don't think it's going to be a tough sell tbh.

They have lots of disposable cap space and can offer a life in Las Vegas. Pretty easy pitch.
I agree with that, somewhat. I think Vegas is going to go big in free agency this summer, with some measure of success.

For the right player, they offer the opportunity to cash in immediately for probably more than they'd get anywhere else, and they also offer the opportunity for players to get increased opportunities and ice-time that could result in more money down the road.

For older guys that want to win though, like a Boyle, or a Thornton or Marleau---I don't think they'll have much interest in going there.

Yeah, Vegas has everything you would want for a "normal" life that every non major metropolis NHL cities have...and then everything Vegas has for entertainment and lifestyle that almost nowhere else has.

Oh, and it's ~20C most days in January.

Even for a dedicated NHL player with a family who isn't trawling for tail in the clubs and partying, Vegas has 12 month of the year golf, top tier shopping and entertainment and excellent weather during the hockey season (hot as balls in the off season...but it's easy enough to take the family somewhere else for summer vacay)

On another note---we've talked about exposed players like Sami Vatanen, Matt Dumba, Jason Demers & Josh Manson as potential RHD options for the Leafs.

On guy I don't think we've mentioned yet: Jake Dotchin, who's on Tampa Bay's unprotected list. He's a RHD who's 6'3", 212lbs, just turned 23, and he was Victor Hedman's regular defense partner for the final 35 games of Tampa's regular season when they went on their big run. I'm not sure how much the fact that he was paired with Hedman takes away from his performance, but these were his numbers:

mLkDm8x.png

He's also the POS that broke Kapanen's ankle & injured Freddie Gauthier with late hits in the AHL, and who took a run at Matthews' knee in a game late in the season against against the Leafs, so he clearly plays with an edge, to say the least. Any thoughts about the idea of swinging a deal with Vegas to make him our POS?

And any thoughts about the value of the numbers he put up in a limited sample size (35 games) in his first taste of NHL action, while paired with one of the best defensemen in the NHL?

Not sure bringing that POS into the lineup with guys he went out of his way hurt would be a good thing.

Not sure bringing that POS into the lineup with guys he went out of his way hurt would be a good thing.
I dunno. When the Leafs first acquired Darcy Tucker, he had to go around the dressing room and mend fences with the several Leafs he'd taken runs at in the recent past.

It all comes down to whether or not the player is good enough to help you. I just don't really know if this guy is actually a good player.

He's a plug, and a punk.

Guys like that should be out of the league, and considering the direct impact he's had on a few of our players, you can be sure the Leafs are aware of him and likely don't see him as a character guy.

Back