• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see Lou figure out a way to take the Polak option away from Babs. He had him out there in the final minute tonight, ffs.

throwing away youth on rentals doesn't make much sense to me. but i'd be fine giving up major young pieces for a stud with term.

With the emergence of Dermott, Timmay on the way and them potentially signing that other Russian there is loads of options for us. As for Rosen, heard he has struggled with the Marlies

after Stamkos I'm never investing a millisecond of thought in the hometown superstar jumps ship to sign with the Leafs thing ever again. And it took a lot(ie making it to July 1) to ever start thinking he would be a Leaf at all.

after Stamkos I'm never investing a millisecond of thought in the hometown superstar jumps ship to sign with the Leafs thing ever again. And it took a lot(ie making it to July 1) to ever start thinking he would be a Leaf at all.

I’m not expecting anything, but I think it makes a ton of sense.

When Stamkos was up, we’d just finished a terrible season and occupiedthr cellar all year. Nobody knew truly what Matty, Marner, Nylander and the kids would become. I bet that was a large part of Stammer’s decision, to not be the main guy on a team with a still questionable future. And the Leafs, of all teams, where if things went bad, it’d fall largely on his shoulders.

But we’ve got a set successful core. And Tavares would just be another guy, not the guy. I’m sure people are looking at how Marleau just kinda quietly joined and gelled, and saw that he isn’t the focal point. Tavares would obviously draw a lot more fanfare, but still, he’d be behind or beside Matthews in the spotlight. The pressure of failure is significantly mitigated.

So I think the situations are very different. I’m not expecting, but I think there’s good cause for hope.

Tavares is getting at least $10m on a long term deal... as a UFA it could be $12m.

I'm sure if he wanted to play in Toronto, they'd find a way to make it work... but I doubt he takes less money or a short term deal. So it would take some fancy cap work.

Tavares is getting at least $10m on a long term deal... as a UFA it could be $12m.

I'm sure if he wanted to play in Toronto, they'd find a way to make it work... but I doubt he takes less money or a short term deal. So it would take some fancy cap work.

Which is why locking up the big 3 to deals on or before July 1 is a big obstacle. Big difference in them costing 23 mil vs 38 mil long term. (23= 6.5 for both Willy and marner and 10 for Matthews vs 28 being 7.5 marner, 7.5 for Willy and 12 for matthews)

That sounds like a whole lot of hoping.

:)

Tavares going anywhere without a void at number 1 C seems lofty and unrealistic to me.

San Jose, Detroit, Colorado, Vancouver and Montreal seem logical to me beyond the Isles, but i think the favourite at the moment should be the Rangers, they are clearly trying to move out money and rebuild on the fly. Tavares knows New York ( sort of) and the Rangers will have a gaping hole in the 1C slot, with ample money to spend.

Superstars have always and will always like the Big Apple

Why does that seem unrealistic? I would think its more realistic that he signs with a good team than a shitty one. Especially if the cap goes up as expected.

What is the point of going to Montreal or the Rangers? May as well just stay where you are. I don't see him leaving the Islanders for another "building" opportunity.

Colorado would be interesting, but because they do already have a number 1 center. MacKinnon-Tavares would be a great foundation.

Why does that seem unrealistic? I would think its more realistic that he signs with a good team than a shitty one. Especially if the cap goes up as expected.

What is the point of going to Montreal or the Rangers? May as well just stay where you are. I don't see him leaving the Islanders for another "building" opportunity.

Colorado would be interesting, but because they do already have a number 1 center. MacKinnon-Tavares would be a great foundation.

Show me a situation in any cap world where a team has signed a 10-12M FA C when they already have a number 1C

I just don't know if I want us to hitch our wagon to Johnny T. He won't get the same minutes here, and he's only getting slower.

I just don't know if I want us to hitch our wagon to Johnny T. He won't get the same minutes here, and he's only getting slower.

See Toews, Johnathan.

Yes, he never scored as much as Tavares did, but he also was better defensively etc and won 3 cups which got him paid, but like Tavares there were a lot of miles on Toews, and it's led to a decline.

Tavares will decline eventually too, and likely not be worth the contract he's paid 10M+ to centers in their 30's just seems like a bad idea for anyone not named SId or GIno

Lack of speed is the biggest drawback on Tavares. Yep, probably gets worse soon. Jason Allison like, perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back