• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

A good job by the senate for once.
Yep, they did the job that, in an ideal world, you'd like to see an independant (but still unelected senate) do.

Reviewed the legislation, gave it some thought, added some recommendations and then bowed to the will of the elected house when not all of their recommendations were adopted.

Yep, they did the job that, in an ideal world, you'd like to see an independant (but still unelected senate) do.

Reviewed the legislation, gave it some thought, added some recommendations and then bowed to the will of the elected house when not all of their recommendations were adopted.

Also, the provinces lobbied the senators hard to get their points across.

The senate isn't perfect, but they get some kudos for the job they have done on this file.

Shame the conservatives will rip up any thought of a independent senate once they get back in power. Would be nice to make the independent panel putting forward people for the senate a permanent thing.

So how do we vote in this new senate?
Like our politicians?
So it becomes another circus?
I understand the reasoning here but in all truthfulness, imho it will just becone another shipwreck, with those who have the money and a voice becoming players for their own special interests and needs and those who legitimately want to change policy and the status quo pushed to the back of the line.
I think that until we are able to eliminate the seating arrangement ( every province should have 5 - north south east west and central) and have an equal representation ( why quebec has that many seats is not right, maybe make it that if you accept equalization payments then you surrender 10 seats) then nothing will change.
I have always thought of maybe having a council made up of each provi ce and territory and one seat for aboriginal representation. And out of these repreaentatives, one is chosen to be the de facto leader.
I know, i am a novice political observer. But i can say 1 thing from experience, after 58 years, this doesnt work.
Just a simple example is why there isnt a line from north bay and up to represent the will and interests of these people. The needs and pronlems in this area differ alot than from toronto and the surrounding townships and communities.
Have it broken up into sectors.
North, is everything from north bay up
East, is from peterborough/ lindsay to ottawa
West is barrie and over to and manitoulin
Central, toronto and it's surrounding townships
South is from whitby down
I know the logistics can be better but just an idea.
Each area gets one vote.
Out of the five, one is voted to lead the province federally.
All seats have equal representation all provinces have equal representation..... the country as a whole has equal representation ( all things being equal)
An the native vote will be done by the native community in their best interests. Under the laws and governances of the canada.
Just a simple thought.
Then change the senate.

So how do we vote in this new senate?
We don't, nor should we ever. Once a senator needs to pander for votes, the senate is just a extension of the Houses Party politics.
Like our politicians?
So it becomes another circus?
Not to mention, any move towards a elected senate requires constitutional reform, which is a sure fire way to tear this country apart.
I understand the reasoning here but in all truthfulness, imho it will just becone another shipwreck, with those who have the money and a voice becoming players for their own special interests and needs and those who legitimately want to change policy and the status quo pushed to the back of the line.
which is why it will never be done in the way you are talking about here.
I think that until we are able to eliminate the seating arrangement ( every province should have 5 - north south east west and central) and have an equal representation ( why quebec has that many seats is not right, maybe make it that if you accept equalization payments then you surrender 10 seats) then nothing will change.
Quebec would leave faster than Taylor Swift leaves a relationship. And, you know, reopening the constitution.
I have always thought of maybe having a council made up of each provi ce and territory and one seat for aboriginal representation. And out of these repreaentatives, one is chosen to be the de facto leader.
Why does the senate need a leader? the house of commons doesn't have a leader.
I know, i am a novice political observer. But i can say 1 thing from experience, after 58 years, this doesnt work.
It's working better these days. With independent senators, and not just party hacks, they aren't just rubber stamping legislation. They are studying legislation, writing amendments, pushing back against the house in some cases, and most importantly, recognizing the supremacy of the elected house, which prevents deadlocks like we see in the US. It works in one of two ways, either a rubber stamp committee or as a actual chamber of second thought.
Just a simple example is why there isnt a line from north bay and up to represent the will and interests of these people. The needs and pronlems in this area differ alot than from toronto and the surrounding townships and communities.
Have it broken up into sectors.
You mean like individual federal ridings?
North, is everything from north bay up
East, is from peterborough/ lindsay to ottawa
West is barrie and over to and manitoulin
Central, toronto and it's surrounding townships
South is from whitby down
What is adding another layer of bureaucracy going to achieve again?
I know the logistics can be better but just an idea.
Each area gets one vote.
Oh, I see. So the regions gang up on Toronto, despite an area like Toronto having more population than all of them combined. I see that ending well
Out of the five, one is voted to lead the province federally.
Replicate this Canada wide, which again, we cannot do without opening up the constitution, would simply lead to petty tribalism on a scale never seen before. A bunch of appointed or elected senators with only the interests of their particular region at heart, instead of the country as a whole.
All seats have equal representation all provinces have equal representation..... the country as a whole has equal representation ( all things being equal)
An the native vote will be done by the native community in their best interests. Under the laws and governances of the canada.
Just a simple thought.
Then change the senate.
No.

Yeah, a big "no thanks" to more contentious constitutional wrangling, or to creating a US-style system of government where we have two elected houses with equal legitimacy that could potentially be grid-locked like they often are in the US.

I mean, from what we've seen of that arrangement to the South, what possible argument is there for that being a better system of government than the one we've currently got in place?

And what argument is there for giving provinces with a fraction of Ontario's population equal representation?

Andrew Scheer is going to be the next Prime Minister.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/and...nada/wcm/13e1ceb5-48d0-4158-9816-211b825d2221

Using energy-consumption data from Statistics Canada, and imputing prices from average household expenditure on transportation fuels and provincial gasoline prices, Winter calculated the impact of the carbon tax on a typical Canadian household across different provinces. Far from being painless as advertised, the costs to households will be significant.

Three provinces — Alberta, Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia — will be hit with more than $1,000 of carbon tax per year to comply with the $50-per-tonne carbon tax Ottawa has mandated for 2022. Nova Scotia ($1,120) and Alberta ($1,111) will have the highest bills, followed by Saskatchewan ($1,032), New Brunswick ($963), Newfoundland ($859) and Prince Edward Island ($788). The average household in Ontario will pay $707 a year to comply with the carbon tax once its fully implemented.

Who gets the lowest bill? British Columbia ($603 per year), Quebec ($662) and Manitoba ($683). Simply put, households in provinces with the lowest bills will pay just a bit more than half compared to households in the hardest-hit provinces.

But it gets worse, since most experts say carbon prices must continue to increase sharply to effectively lower emissions. At $100 a tonne, for example, households in Alberta will pony up $2,223, in Saskatchewan they’ll pay $2,065 and in Nova Scotia, $2,240. In fact, at $100 a tonne, the average price for households in all provinces is well north of $1,000 per year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/police-up-patrols-near-cn-tower-1.4743828

York Regional Police step up security near Canada's Wonderland, advise public to remain vigilant

Toronto police are sending more officers to patrol the CN Tower and surrounding downtown area Thursday after receiving unconfirmed information that there's a "potential risk to public safety."

Acting Supt. Michael Barsky declined to provide any specifics about what police have learned, but told reporters a heightened police presence will allow the busy area, which includes a number of major tourist attractions, to remain open as normal.

"Whenever we report of potential risk, we take it seriously," he said.

Meanwhile, York Regional Police have boosted patrols near Canada's Wonderland north of the city.

Earlier Thursday, Toronto police spokesperson Mark Pugash confirmed officials had received an "unconfirmed, uncorroborated piece of information" so there would be an increased number of police officers throughout the city and specifically in the downtown core.

Barsky said that police presence will continue throughout the day. In addition to the downtown area being a major tourist draw, thousands of people live in highrise condos.

"The police presence in this area is to ensure that the public can enjoy and come down to this area unimpeded and without any worry."

The CN Tower's media team said in a news release that it's "fully co-operating with Toronto police and other agencies to ensure our employees, guests and the tower are all safe."

The Rogers Centre, meanwhile, is set to host a Foo Fighters concert tonight, with doors opening at 5 p.m. ET. Barsky said that show will go ahead as planned.

At Union Station's bus terminal — a short walk from the tower — special constables kept an eye over the platform and parked vehicles near the edges.

York Regional Police announced around 11 a.m. that they are also upping patrols in several locations. The force is urging members of the public to remain vigilant and call 911 if they spot any suspicious activity.

Mayor, premier monitoring situation
Toronto Mayor John Tory was briefed on the situation by the police chief this morning, his office confirms, and will be monitoring the situation.

Meanwhile, Ontario Premier Doug Ford's office tweeted it's aware of a "reported potential threat," and is in touch with security organizations from all three levels of government.

At Queen's Park, there are no plans to cancel the 15-gun salute that will be part of Thursday's throne speech event.

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale's office said the investigation is still being handled by local police at this point and that an alert will be sent out if the RCMP gets involved.

Between this and the gun violence every other day, Toronto is starting to remind me of the gangland days of the hells angels in montreal during the 90.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/police-up-patrols-near-cn-tower-1.4743828

Between this and the gun violence every other day, Toronto is starting to remind me of the gangland days of the hells angels in montreal during the 90.
Sounds like this is something different than the gang violence & gun killings in Toronto as of late.

More like either a terrorist threat was made against tourist attractions/busy public areas in the GTA, or some security apparatus overheard some chatter about it.

Sounds like this is something different than the gang violence & gun killings in Toronto as of late.

More like either a terrorist threat was made against tourist attractions/busy public areas in the GTA, or some security apparatus overheard some chatter about it.

Yes, this sounds like it's something different, but as of late, Toronto has had quite a wave of violence, seeming more like a American city in that respect than a Canadian one.

Jonathan Goldsbie @goldsbie
3m
One of Doug Ford's biggest online boosters, interviewed by @TheAgenda as part of their PC leadership coverage, has lost 95,901 followers since Twitter's latest purge of fake accounts:

approx 75% of its followers.

Yes, this sounds like it's something different, but as of late, Toronto has had quite a wave of violence, seeming more like a American city in that respect than a Canadian one.

Maybe New York, which is an incredibly safe American city. Take away that Minassian attack on Yonge street and the murder rate is more or less identical to 2016. Shootings of all types are also in line with 2016 (which was a bad year, but not crazy).

I'd have to look up the statistics, but I'd bet that the 2018 murder and shooting rates in Toronto are still lower than Edmonton, and Winnipeg....and way lower than the vast majority of major US cities.

3m
One of Doug Ford's biggest online boosters, interviewed by @TheAgenda as part of their PC leadership coverage, has lost 95,901 followers since Twitter's latest purge of fake accounts:

Jonathan Goldsbie
@goldsbie
His bio used to read: "Canada's most followed Social Media Political Activist. Supporter of FORD NATION."

4:19pm · 12 Jul 2018 · Twitter Web Cl

Maybe New York, which is an incredibly safe American city. Take away that Minassian attack on Yonge street and the murder rate is more or less identical to 2016. Shootings of all types are also in line with 2016 (which was a bad year, but not crazy).

I'd have to look up the statistics, but I'd bet that the 2018 murder and shooting rates in Toronto are still lower than Edmonton, and Winnipeg....and way lower than the vast majority of major US cities.

I believe Edmonton was tops last year and I do not see that going away.

Random murder is rarely a thing though. a) dont piss off your spouse, b) dont be involved in gangs

https://www.macleans.ca/canadas-most-dangerous-places/
Going off of firearms offenses, toronto is 18th.

out of 229 canadian cities.
Regina is 9th

Ottawa is 29th

Edmonton is 51

Winnipeg is 59

Montreal is 69

Vancouver is 93

Calgary is 118

Going off of general crime, Toronto fairs much better, but gun related crime, they are among the worst in the country, which is matching up with what we are hearing in the news.

3m

Sounds about right. The number of bots on the twitterverse in the lead-up to the Ontario election was unreal.

One anecdotal example I encountered was a local hockey reporter that I follow that has a pretty modest following. If you go through his tweets, it's pretty rare for him to get more than 10 replies total to most tweets.

The morning of the election, he posted something to the effect of "vote for anybody except one of Ford's candidates", with no hashtag. Literally within 30 seconds to a minute of him posting that, several obvious bot accounts completely spammed the replies to that tweet with a dozen+ pro-Ford memes and comments.

Does Twitter really sway a persons vote? That is one of the last places I would consult when trying to decide who to vote for or against.

https://www.macleans.ca/canadas-most-dangerous-places/
Going off of firearms offenses, toronto is 18th.

out of 229 canadian cities.
Regina is 9th

Ottawa is 29th

Edmonton is 51

Winnipeg is 59

Montreal is 69

Vancouver is 93

Calgary is 118

Going off of general crime, Toronto fairs much better, but gun related crime, they are among the worst in the country, which is matching up with what we are hearing in the news.

Okay, but "firearms offenses" are a pretty broad category that doesn't require a violent crime to have occurred. Possession of an unregistered is a firearms offense. With that aside, you said that Toronto's gun crime rate was more indicative of an American city than a Canadian one and it just isn't true.

Per 100,000:

Toronto - 15.4
Ottawa - 10.89
Surrey - 9.87
Saskatoon - 8.27

So Toronto seems high, absolutely. But if you think that's closer to what the US looks like that what the rest of Canada looks like, you're just wrong. Let's take the safest reasonably populated (who really cares about what's going on in Idaho...) state in the union, Massachussets as our example.

So yeah, Toronto has 15.4 firearms offences per 100,000. Mass has 3.4 firearms deaths per 100,000. They had 89 firearm homicides in 2017 alone. Throw in 28 firearms robberies per 100,000 and 33 firearms assaults per 100,000 and you start to get a good look for what good US gun statistics look like.

Toronto is having a rough year, I wouldn't argue otherwise. But it's having a rough year by Canadian standards, it's nowhere near as bad as even the best state in the union for gun crime.

Back