• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

... Darling looks like a giant anchor sitting on the deck of a sinking sink...

Darling looks like a giant anchor that fell from outer space, crashing through all the decks and the hull of a very slow moving ship, and going straight to the bottom, with the vessel to follow shortly.

Canes draft picks and prospect stats through 4/8/2018

All non-college player stats are playoff stats

Martin Necas (Czech Brno) 9 Games 3 Goals 4 Assists *** Brno won their semi-final series over Plzen in 5 games. They will face Trinec in the finals starting April 14th.

Luke Martin (Big-10 Michigan So.): 40 Games 1 Goal 7 Assists +16 *** Michigan was eliminated by Notre Dame in the Frozen Four (Minny Duluth won the Championship). Martin's season is over. The kid hopefully will stay at least one more season at Michigan but that is just my opinion.

Morgan Geekie (WHL Tri-City): 6 Games 11 Goals 6 Assists *** Tri-City is up 2-0 in their conference semi-final series vs. Victoria.

Stelio Mattheos (WHL Brandon): 8 Games 4 Goals 2 Assists *** Brandon is down 0-2 in their conference semi-final series vs. Lethbridge

Brendan De Jong (WHL Portland): 9 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists **** Portland eliminated Spokane in 7 games in the quarter-finals. They are tied 1-1 with Everett in the conference semi-finals.

Jake Bean (WHL Tri-City): 6 Games 1 Goals 5 Assists *** Tri-City is up 2-0 in their conference semi-final series vs. Victoria.

Hudson Elynuik (WHL Spokane): 7 Games 3 Goals 4 Assists **** Spokane was eliminated by Portland in 7 games in the conference quarter finals. Elynuik's season is over and his Junior career should be over (he was overage this past season). Canes will need to decide if they want to offer him an entry level contract or not. I don't see why they wouldn't, but who knows at this point what the plan is and who is making that decision. He would join a very crowded group of youngsters in either Charlotte or Florida next season assuming the Canes sign him to an entry level deal. Considering Zykov and Wallmark will not be waiver exempt next season and Tolchinsky would be gone, there should be some spot for Elynuik next season in the AHL.

Noah Carroll (OHL Sault Ste. Marie): 6 Games 0 Goals 1 Assist *** Sault Ste. Marie semi final series against Owen Sound is tied up 1-1 (which might be the shock of the CHL playoffs so far)

Jack Lafontaine (Big-10 Michigan So.): 4-4-0 3.51 GAA .889 Sv% *** Michigan lost to Notre Dame in the Frozen Four semis. No idea if Lafontaine is going to play next season or not, he has played very little in his first 2 seasons at Michigan and not played well when he has played.

Jeremy Helvig (OHL Kingston): 5-2 3.04 GAA .909 Sv% *** Kingston is down 1-2 in their conference semi-final series vs. Barrie.

********** PLAYERS WHOSE SEASON HAS ENDED PRIOR TO LAST WEEK ***********

Max Zimmer (Big 10 Wisconsin So.)
Luke Stevens (ECAC Yale So.)
Ville Rasanen ( Jr. A SM-Liiga Jukurit U20/Mestis Roki/Liiga Jukurit (Major league)):
David Cotton (Hockey East Boston College So.)
Matt Filipe (Hockey East Northeastern So.)
Eetu Luostarinen (Liiga KalPa)

Eetu Makiniemi (Jr. A SM-Liiga Jokerit U20)

I think if LaFontaine wants to stick it out in college hockey, he's probably going to have to transfer somewhere where he can play. Luke Martin doesn't look anything like a pro player to me ... just my opinion based on the 2-3 times I saw him this year.

At least through camp this fall, the Canes were very high on Elynuik. He's got a game that reminds me of Rask at the same stage of development, although his build is more like that of Nik Roy. He's a rangy two-way center with pretty good offensive instincts. He's looked good in the early stages of Canes camp for two years running. I like his chances to get a contract and start his pro career next fall. IMO, it would be dumb to do anything else. The kid has potential if he can add some strength.

I think if LaFontaine wants to stick it out in college hockey, he's probably going to have to transfer somewhere where he can play. Luke Martin doesn't look anything like a pro player to me ... just my opinion based on the 2-3 times I saw him this year.

At least through camp this fall, the Canes were very high on Elynuik. He's got a game that reminds me of Rask at the same stage of development, although his build is more like that of Nik Roy. He's a rangy two-way center with pretty good offensive instincts. He's looked good in the early stages of Canes camp for two years running. I like his chances to get a contract and start his pro career next fall. IMO, it would be dumb to do anything else. The kid has potential if he can add some strength.

I can't see why they wouldn't sign him either. Elynuik has 60 goals, 99 assists over the last 2 seasons. And 6'5" centers don't grow on trees. I have to believe that Zykov and Wallmark will (probably) be with the Canes next year, Tolchinsky is gone, Brown is a UFA and there are no other forward prospects who need to be signed.

FWIW, apparently Elliotte Friedman has reported that Elyniuk is not a lock to be signed this summer, as we’ve been anticipating. No word if the team is doing the balking, or the kid. If unsigned he would return to the draft pool. And based on this year’s crop of centers he’d be pretty highly rated.

FWIW, apparently Elliotte Friedman has reported that Elyniuk is not a lock to be signed this summer, as we’ve been anticipating. No word if the team is doing the balking, or the kid. If unsigned he would return to the draft pool. And based on this year’s crop of centers he’d be pretty highly rated.

What's the difference in pay between a 1st and 3rd round pick? Or could he be taking a look at the depth chart and seeing Staal, Lindholm, Rask, Aho, Necas, Wallmark and Roy (theoretically) ahead of him at center and assuming that he's unlikely to be an NHL regular before his ELC is up?

What's the difference in pay between a 1st and 3rd round pick?

None really. Aho as a 2nd round pick got the max base salary and 1st round pick like bonuses. That said, Elynuik isn't a borderline superstar in waiting. He shouldn't be paid all that much more than Nicholas Roy got ($720k AAV and $145k in entry level bonus potential). The money shouldn't be the issue here, what is there to really haggle over? $12k a season in signing bonus money? $200k a year in in NHL salary? Elynuik is unlikely to be in the NHL much for his first 3 years as a pro. I suspect that the bigger issue is that he doesn't want to sign here, and it could be because he would be immediately buried on the depth chart behind Aho, Lindholm, Rask (maybe), Staal, Wallmark, Saarela, Roy, Necas, heck even Clark Bishop maybe and Greg Mckegg if we resign him.

I think you have it right andyt. If there really is some sort of hangup with Elynuik signing here, its possibly because we've created such a huge logjam of young 'talent' in our system that Elynuik could very well end up either having to play wing or maybe even starting his career in the ECHL. It definitely wouldn't or shouldn't be the money, there isn't much to haggle about there when talking about entry level deals.

Hopefully someone in the organization is on top of all of this. This shouldn't be that hard. If the Canes want to sign Elynuik and he want's to sign, the money part of entry level deals is pretty simple to figure out. If Elynuik DOESN'T want to sign here, then find some team that he is willing to sign with and trade him there for a 3rd round or 4th round pick before he escapes back into the draft.

Last edited:
Yeah ... I suspect the hold up is on the kid's end. Either he sees a log jam of similarly rated prospects and wants a clearer field or he's being told that he might have to start his pro career in the Eastern League. I wouldn't think the Canes are balking, especially given the dirth of proper center prospects aside from Necas ... but that's based on a conventional approach and we're maybe not doing things that way as much now. Dunno.

This is a pretty picture.

WHL's three stars for last night's games were all Canes prospects.

Morgan Geekie with yet another playoff hat trick and an assist. He now has 14 goals in 7 playoff games this post-season and 7 assists to boot.

Teammate Jake Bean with 5 assists in the Tri-Americans 6-5 win.

Stelio Mattheos with a 4-point game (1G, 3A) for 10 points (5G, 5A) in nine playoff games.

Tri-City completed their 2nd consecutive sweep, knocking Victoria out. They advance to the Western Conference finals, waiting for the winner of the Portland/Everett series. Geekie set a WHL record with a goal in 8 straight playoff games; all have also been multi-point games too. Bean has 1 goal, 13 assists in the playoffs, with 8 of the assists in the last 2 games. Tri-City is the first 7 seed to make a WHL conference final since 2007.

I really don't know what Bean's future with this franchise actually might be. Assuming we don't trade him before he even starts playing as a pro, certainly we shouldn't expect him to be NHL ready next year. He will likely need at least one season in Charlotte. But then what? Slavin certainly has one LD spot locked up. Hanifin, if he is still here for the next few years, has another one. Fleury hasn't exactly locked down the #3LD spot but he was just a rookie this past season. Then Carrick, well, apparently we have no expectation for him ever playing in the NHL, at least not here. If at some point in the near future its going to be Slavin, Hanifin, Bean, that leaves Fleury the odd man out. And of course the other question is 'just how good is Jake Bean? The last time this franchise dipped their toe into the 1st round offensive Dman pool, we hooked a total dud in Ryan Murphy. We've heard positive talk from camps that Bean has attended....

Basically at some point here this team really should consider trading some guys for other assets. If Bean proves to be NHL capable, we hardly need Slavin, Hanifin, Fleury and Bean at LD. Just like at some point soon Faulk, Pesce, TVR, McKeown is too much at RD. And Staal, Lindholm, Aho, Rask, Ryan, Kruger, Roy, Wallmark, Saarela, Necas, Poturalski, Bishop, McKegg, Elynuik is too many centers and could be causing Elynuik to evaluate whether he might be better served going back into the draft.

On the Checkers watch...not that I think it matters too much, but the Checkers have a decent chance to pass Providence and finish 3rd in the division. That would, in theory give them an easier first round matchup against Wilkes-Barre instead of Lehigh Valley. The Checkers sit 1 point ahead of Providence right now. Providence has 3 games left, vs. the Checkers Friday, @Springfield Sat, and home vs. Springfield on Sun. The Checker have 2 games...the game @Providence Friday and then @Bridgeport on Sat.

If the Checkers can beat Providence on Friday night in regulation they would sit 3 points ahead of them in the standings, also holding the tiebreaker. Then just one more point against Bridgeport would be enough to secure the 3rd spot for the Checkers regardless of what happens with the other 2 games Providence plays.

Portland and Brandon were eliminated from the WHL playoffs last night. Do the Checkers sign DeJong and Mattheos to an ATO?

I agree with JB, neither one of those kids needs to be in Charlotte at this point for any reason.. They have a full roster already. Bean is the only player I could possibly see in Charlotte at some point...but even that might not happen.

Checkers won again tonight. They finished 3rd in the division, closing out the season on a 10 game point streak 9-0-1.

Back