• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New York Yankees (2010-2013)

Re: New York Yankees

Yankees charged $18.9 million luxury tax

The Yankees were charged with an $18.9 million luxury tax for the 2012 season.

The team finished with a $222.5 million payroll for purposes of the tax, according to figures sent to teams.

New York has run up a luxury tax bill of $224.2 million over the past decade, with the fee increasing from $13.9 million last year.

(LINK)

Revised numbers:

The Yankees luxury tax bill was $19.3 million. The change reflected how one player’s salary was accounted for.

New York is the only team to pay the luxury tax this year. The Yankees' final payroll for luxury tax purposes climbed from $222.5 million to $223.4 million.

(LINK)

transactions.jpg

LHP Josh Spence cleared waivers and has been outrighted to Triple-A, the team announced.

thoughts.jpg

It's always good for a few of these waiver-pickups to get back through waivers. Can never have enough pitching depth stored away in the minors.

According to Wallace Matthews, there is "no chance" the Yankees will pursue Michael Bourn. (LINK)

Matthews also reports that Scott Hairston is apparently the Yankees "front-runner" amongst right-handed hitting outfielders, but he'd prefer to return to the Mets.

According to George King III, the Yankees are talking to Raul Ibanez and his agent about a possible reunion. (LINK)

Ibanez would return as strictly a DH; the team is in search of a right-handed hitter to be the fourth outfielder with Scott Hairston's name again being mentioned.

According to Wallace Matthews, Ichiro's deal is "almost there" but there was still "some language being worked out." (LINK)

He likely still has to take his physical as well.

transactions.jpg

The Yankees have officially agreed to terms with OF Ichiro Suzuki on a two-year, $13 million deal.

To make room on the 40-man roster, RHP Jim Miller has been designated for assignment.

thoughts.jpg

We knew it was coming, now Cashman needs to get us a right-handed hitting outfielder to compliment the three lefties we already have.
Hopefully Miller gets through waivers, but I'm going to predict he doesn't.

Apparently Eduardo Nunez is playing third base in the Dominican Winter League tonight.

thoughts.jpg

If the Yankees are going to keep him, that's good to hear. Although not the best defender, he should still get a chance as our utility-man because of what he brings offensively.

Apparently Eduardo Nunez is playing third base in the Dominican Winter League tonight.

thoughts.jpg

If the Yankees are going to keep him, that's good to hear. Although not the best defender, he should still get a chance as our utility-man because of what he brings offensively.

He can play all 3 bases (1st in an emergency) and SS. Definitely a keeper.

Oh, I'd have him as my utility-man for sure but guys with the power seem to be against using him anywhere other than shortstop at this point.

Oh, I'd have him as my utility-man for sure but guys with the power seem to be against using him anywhere other than shortstop at this point.

Hmm. Thanks for the clarification. Might speak well of his long term value as perceived by the team.

Yankee free-agent Casey McGehee has agreed to play for the Rakuten Eagles next season. He'll join Andruw Jones on the Japanese team.

A.J. Pierzynski signed a one-year, $7.5 million deal with the Rangers.

JonHeymanCBS:
  • Yankees did NOT make an offer to A.J. Pierzynski.
  • Girardi loves a defensive catcher. So Yanks current catching mix: Cervelli, Stewart, Romine, Bobby Wilson.

thoughts.jpg

I know Pierzynski is a jerk and he's not likely to duplicate his numbers from next season but I'd have definitely offered him that deal to play ahead of those other four.
I hope Cashman can somehow find an upgrade before the season begins.

transactions.jpg

RHP Jim Miller cleared waivers and has been outrighted to Triple-A, the team announced.

thoughts.jpg

Same thoughts as when Spence got through waiver - can never have enough pitching depth stored away in the minors. Good stuff.

JonHeymanCBS: Yankees looking for right-handed hitters. Among options are Vernon Wells, Scott Hairston and Jeff Baker. Plus others.

Cody Ross has agreed to a three-year deal with the Diamondbacks.

With that, Jason Kubel should become available. He'd be a good fit for the Yankees as a left-handed DH.

Yankee free-agent Raul Ibanez has agreed to a deal with the Mariners.

Our bench is going to look significantly different.

thoughts.jpg

This one doesn't tear me up. He came up with a few big home runs but he didn't have that great of a season and he'll be 41-years-old.
I was worried he'd repeat Andruw Jones' disappointing second season in pinstripes anyway.

Yankee free-agent Nick Swisher has agreed to a deal with the Indians.

thoughts.jpg

I'll miss Swish's personality and the individual traits he brought to the team but I won't miss the postseason disappearance acts.
At least he signed with a team we don't have to worry about contending with.

Our remaining major-league free agents: Pedro Feliciano, Freddy Garcia, Derek Lowe, Darnell McDonald and Rafael Soriano.

thoughts.jpg

I can't imagine any of them will be returning to the Yankees next season and that's fine by me.
Soriano is the only one I'd want back and he'll be too expensive for a set-up man. Get the draft pick.

Free agents who have left:

• Eric Chavez - Arizona Diamondbacks.
  • Raul Ibanez - Seattle Mariners.
  • Ryota Igarashi - SoftBank Hawks.
  • Andruw Jones - Rakuten Eagles.
  • Russell Martin - Pittsburgh Pirates.
  • Casey McGehee - Rakuten Hawks.
  • Nick Swisher - Cleveland Indians.
  • Justin Thomas - Oakland Athletics.

thoughts.jpg

Swish leaving stings but as of today, Martin's departure hurts the most. The others are all meh.

Back