• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Team Canada/2018 World Juniors

I don't watch these insignificant tournaments but judging from the comments made by jingoistic Canadians every time 20 guys wearing a red maple leaf take to the ice we should be able to roll any and all opponents like winos in the gutter. So when we barely squeak out a one goal win it's a pathetic failure. Ducharme may one day coach the Habs since he seems to like playing for low-scoring, one goal games. That and being French are the only two prerequisites needed to coach our team.

Proving once again that you know nothing.

Nah, Ducharme was all up tempo here(Halifax). Of course he had Drouin,Mackinnon,Frk,Weegar etc on that championship team...then came Ehlers,Meier and more that developed their offense under Ducharme.

I really couldn't care less anymore if Canada wins this tournament, though I found myself routing for them in the final game, and rout for them against the Americans. The Toronto-based rah rah stuff of recent years had soured me, and I often lean to the underdog Czechs and Finns. But when the games were close, I enjoyed watching the tournament more this year than the NHL-up tempo,good pace,quick games.

Last edited:
Nah, Ducharme was all up tempo here. Of course he had Drouin,Mackinnon,Frk,Weegar....

I really couldn't care less anymore if Canada wins this tournament, though I found myself routing for them in the final game, and rout for them against the Americans. The Toronto-based rah rah stuff of recent years had soured me, and I often lean to the underdog Czechs and Finns. But when the games were close, I enjoyed watching the tournament more this year than the NHL-up tempo,good pace,quick games.

Hockey, when not overcoached, is usually up tempo and fun to watch

I like the Swedish kid who threw his medal on the stands. Silver is a depreciating asset. Need to reward these kids with cryptos.

Looks like Altair has got a few of you on the aptitude meter :)

Was pretty obvious I meant the junior guys being smaller on an NHL size drink means the pros need to play on slightly larger surface.

Boy oh boy. Remind me not to post in a rush....

Non starter sadly. Money.

Agree but the league is growing on account of TV revenue not seat sales. This is the time to scrap a row or two of seats, not to make the nets bigger or goal posts thinner. Those are illusions that don’t improve the quality of play.

Looks like Altair has got a few of you on the aptitude meter :)

Was pretty obvious I meant the junior guys being smaller on an NHL size drink means the pros need to play on slightly larger surface.

Boy oh boy. Remind me not to post in a rush....
:cheers2:

Don't worry, I got you.

Agree but the league is growing on account of TV revenue not seat sales. This is the time to scrap a row or two of seats, not to make the nets bigger or goal posts thinner. Those are illusions that don’t improve the quality of play.

It would be interesting to see but I don't doubt coaches would find some way to shut down any extra offense.

They added no go zones for goalies to play the puck, they introduced the two line pass, the extra penalty for shooting the puck out of the zone, and after a brief adjustment period, league scoring went down again.

You trying to take over the dick handle from BKerr?

Chill out.

Oh come on.

He didn't watch the game.

He didn't know that Sweden had the better record coming into this game.

He didn't know about the firepower and skill the swedes had compared to Canada.

He pretty much came here to shit all over the tournament and a bunch of kids playing for their country in the thread dedicated to a bunch of kids playing for their country.

Who is the dick here?

Oh come on.

He pretty much came here to shit all over the tournament and a bunch of kids playing for their country in the thread dedicated to a bunch of kids playing for their country.

Who is the dick here?

I'm with you on that one

Oh come on.

Who is the dick here?

If Sweden had a better record coming into the final game then it's just another pathetic failure on Canada's part to go along with the failure to steamroll all of their opponents.

Look, this is why I don't give a damn about these tournaments. Canada is SUPPOSED to win and win handily. When they do, the only appropriate reaction should be "well of course they won. It's Team Canada. That's what's expected of them. Thanks for doing your job." If they don't win, it's a pathetic failure. When one nation is so much better at something than everyone else there's nothing for them to gain. All they can do is meet expectations (which elicits a shrug and a yawn) or they can fail to meet those expectations by either not winning convincingly or losing somehow. When that happens it's a catastrophe and a national disgrace. There's nothing to win and everything to lose.

Canada winning a hockey tournament isn't news. And if the tournament finals were a best of (3, 5, or 7) rather than a single elimination game Canada would never ever lose. If they want to make things interesting they should have a tournament in which all the other countries fight it out among themselves and Canada can just play the winner.

If Sweden had a better record coming into the final game then it's just another pathetic failure on Canada's part to go along with the failure to steamroll all of their opponents.

Look, this is why I don't give a damn about these tournaments. Canada is SUPPOSED to win and win handily. When they do, the only appropriate reaction should be "well of course they won. It's Team Canada. That's what's expected of them. Thanks for doing your job." If they don't win, it's a pathetic failure. When one nation is so much better at something than everyone else there's nothing for them to gain. All they can do is meet expectations (which elicits a shrug and a yawn) or they can fail to meet those expectations by either not winning convincingly or losing somehow. When that happens it's a catastrophe and a national disgrace. There's nothing to win and everything to lose.

Canada winning a hockey tournament isn't news. And if the tournament finals were a best of (3, 5, or 7) rather than a single elimination game Canada would never ever lose. If they want to make things interesting they should have a tournament in which all the other countries fight it out among themselves and Canada can just play the winner.
Yes, Canada was supposed to jump over and play the swedes in their group to beat them just to make sure that they had the better record going into the gold medal game.

Also, never mind that there is far more parity at the World Junior level and that Canada has only won twice since 2010. The only person who expect Canada to win every game is you.

And really, I don't care that you don't care. I don't care that you'er totally ignorant of the world juniors. What I do care about is you coming in here, where you haven't watching a single minute, and come here and try to shit on everything that people who are posting here actually give a **** about. I don't give a **** about the NFL, you don't see me posting bullshit in that thread like you do in here. If you have constructive criticism, have at it, post all you want. If you want to shit all over the tournament, do it elsewhere. You should respect those of us who don't want to read that in here.

Back