• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Free Agent Thread 2017

In the meantime, the number of defensemen drafted by Timmins on our current roster: 0
NHL defensemen drafted by Timmins since 2008: 1

In the meantime, the number of defensemen drafted by Timmins on our current roster: 0

And thats get you a promotion ,nice work Nero

And some are shocked we cant compete for titles , the draft/development blunders killed us.

So exactly how many Dman have the Hawks drafted in the same period? Or how many goalies have the Stars or Blues drafted in the same period?

Cue the he's the best and "drafting is luck" responses
Drafting is not an exact science after the top-5 picks on average....

I've been beating the 40-yr poor drafting track record drum for a while now, but many have lost sight the Habs top-6 is amongst the youngest in the NHL with some pretty solid talent - MBs strategy is obviously trying to get the team younger on the fly & I suspect over the next couple of years the D will start reflecting that youth movement.

Timmins did draft D since 2008 - unfortunately the league changed...TT should've stuck with the prototype D's he was drafting earlier in his tenure (Streit, Weber, McDonagh) instead of shifting to the bruiser/drop u'r glove types (Tinordi, Thrower, Ellis, Beaulieu etc..). Beaulieu was an attempt, but personality wasn't a fit for the marketplace, thus stalling his development.

So... we start in 2008 to conviently avoid adding Ryan McDonagh & Subban to this list?

Beaulieu, and borderline Tinordi.

Juulsen & Sergachev will play in the NHL

2008 0/5 picks used for D
2009 1/8 picks used for D
2010 2/5 picks used for D
2011 5/7 picks used for D
2012 1/7 picks used for D
2013 0/8 picks used for D
2014 2/6 picks used for D
2015 2/5 picks used for D
2016 4/6 picks used for D
2017 4/7 picks used for D

1st round D selections: Tinordi (22) / Beaulieu (17) / Juulsen (26) / Sergachev (9)

This team has had Markov/Subban or Weber and other solid d-men over that time along with Carey Price and limited to no offence for that same stretch. Why would we draft for D when offence was a glaring need? Not that you should draft for need... but there that is.

I'm no Timmins fan. But if I want to tear him a part for his drafting it would be for his inability to find top 6 talent and his US college fetish.

So... we start in 2008 to conviently avoid adding Ryan McDonagh & Subban to this list?

1st round D selections: Tinordi (22) / Beaulieu (17) / Juulsen (26) / Sergachev (9)

This team has had Markov/Subban or Weber and other solid d-men over that time along with Carey Price and limited to no offence for that same stretch. Why would we draft for D when offence was a glaring need? Not that you should draft for need... but there that is.

I'm no Timmins fan. But if I want to tear him a part for his drafting it would be for his inability to find top 6 talent and his US college fetish.

If you start in 2007, you should also add Yannick Weber to the list, making 3 NHLers. I know he's a third pairing guy, but to get two top pair guys and a third pair in one draft....

They also traded for Greg Pateryn like 3 days after the draft, so Timmins was involved in that too, you'd have to think.

Not really sure about the US college fetish but the rest I agree with.

2016: 1
2015: 0
2014: 0
2013: 0
2012: 0
2011: 0
2010: 0
2009: 0
2008: 1

so 2

he does draft quite a few high school US players though

Not really sure about the US college fetish but the rest I agree with.

2016: 1
2015: 0
2014: 0
2013: 0
2012: 0
2011: 0
2010: 0
2009: 0
2008: 1

so 2

he does draft quite a few high school US players though

Sorry. That was what I meant.

but even the high skool / college players he has done less and less

hell maybe he should do it more
the one non top 5 pick that has turned into a top 6 player was a high school player (max pac)

sure there have been some misses in leblanc, mccarron, tinordi, etc - but he has been terrible in the first round the entire time

but even the high skool / college players he has done less and less

hell maybe he should do it more
the one non top 5 pick that has turned into a top 6 player was a high school player (max pac)

sure there have been some misses in leblanc, mccarron, tinordi, etc - but he has been terrible in the first round the entire time
The Habs have been horrible in the 1st round since 1974 (the year they had 5-of them!). 14-of-56 1st round picks from 1974 through present have played 400+ games in the NHL and only 10-of those-14 have played 300+ games in a Habs uni, let alone perform at high end levels as a Hab - Risebrough, Tremblay, Mondou, Svoboda, Corson, Koivu, Komisarek, Higgins, Price, Max.

TT may actually end up outperforming his predecessors...out of his 15 first round picks: Price, McDonagh, Max, potentially Galchenyuk, Juulsen, Sergachev. No 1st round picks during the last 5-years of Pollock's, all of Grundman, Serge & Andre Savard tenures have ever have come close to Price, McDonagh or Max....maybe Koivu.

Last edited:
Back