• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Protected List - Expansion Draft Thread

Re: Protected List

with our drafting/development track record, I prefer young NHL players. I would seriously consider trading our mid round 1st every year. those picks are overvalued IMO

Yep, I would too. We'd lose some and win some but I think that in the end we would be in better shape compared to drafting and developing our own players.

IMO this management team & ownership group is obviously focused on trying to win now. Acquisition of NHL ready talent vs drafting & development in the near term.

Besides u add players like Drouin (22), and potentially Beauvillier (20 on ELC) + Leddy [26 signed for next 4-5 yrs at known price ($5M / $5.5M?)], pretty much adding NHL ready young players....and buying a few years for drat system to catch up. Leddy becomes Markov replacement & buys 2-yr window (min) to acquire/draft the next Dman in the rotation.

BTW - I hear the next 2-drafts (2018 & 2019) are projected to be exceptionally deep.

they can try all they want ....the win now mode isnt happening

At some point it comes back to bite you, but where we are on the curve, we should be pushing in the next couple years. If we can get young guys like Drouin, then at least those are guys who we can build through once this current core is past its prime and we need to rebuild.

Your post resumes perfectly how Bergy should be thinking

Anyone ever tell you that you are a negative person?

Nope just a realistic Habs fan , the cup is the dream . If Nero can pull it off , I will give him credit.

Last years flawed playoff team is the starting point , we aren't even in the same area code to contend.

We were gift wrapped a trip to the semis and shit the bed , and the division is only going to get stronger .

I hate giving up draft picks to get rid of a player, especially if its anything higher than a 4rth rounder

They should just buy him out

For 14? I would add a fruit basket and a gift card to Timmies to the draft pick.

Git 'er dun!

Nope just a realistic Habs fan , the cup is the dream . If Nero can pull it off , I will give him credit.

Last years flawed playoff team is the starting point , we aren't even in the same area code to contend.

We were gift wrapped a trip to the semis and shit the bed , and the division is only going to get stronger .

Largely agree. Even with a good summer, Bergevin won't be out of the woods.

Largely agree. Even with a good summer, Bergevin won't be out of the woods.

I have been waiting for 23 years to even come close to another cup. We have never looked like a serious threat in 2 decades and aren't close to emulating the talent and testosterone needed to win .

The Drouin deal helps add to the skill department but it's clearly one step forward and one back .

He may not solve the C problem and our D is now officially garbage and among the slowest and least skilled in the league.

Moving 27 simply removes another skilled forward for a possible D , it's hardly a win win .

Chevy was a huge piece moving forward , the partner for 6 and would of been our best puck mover .

Protected List

I have been waiting for 23 years to even come close to another cup. We have never looked like a serious threat in 2 decades and aren't close to emulating the talent and testosterone needed to win .
Short memories: Habs never looked like a threat during their last 2-Cups & wouldn't have won either without lightning in a bottle miracles with favorites being knocked out.

Dare I say, Habs haven't looked like a serious threat since 1979...doesn't mean u just waive the white flag every season.

The habs were near the top of the nhl standings in the late 80s and early 90s. Those were contending teams.

The difference was the 70s team was a dominant dynasty team.

The habs were near the top of the nhl standings in the late 80s and early 90s. Those were contending teams.

The difference was the 70s team was a dominant dynasty team.

Last I checked MBs teams have been near top of the standings 4-of-5 seasons......#contendersbyabovelogic

Last I checked MBs teams have been in the top of the standings 4-of-5 seasons......#contendersbyabovelogic
They also went to the cup in 89 and had other cup final appearances in that stretch.

2 cup wins. Three final appearances. 4 final fours in 7 years isnt just catching lightning in a bottle

Short memories: Habs never looked like a threat during their last 2-Cups & wouldn't have won either without lightning in a bottle miracles with favorites being knocked out.

Dare I say, Habs haven't looked like a serious threat since 1979...doesn't mean u just waive the white flag every season.

We were dominant in 1989, arguably our best team since the '70s. Problem is the Flames were just as good if not better. One of the rare instance when the 2 best teams in the league meet in the finals.

The Habs won those last two cups (86 & 93) in part because of the playoff format in existence at the time. A couple of front-runners got upset early on and the way was paved. In 86 the Habs were a pretty mediocre team yet they had home ice advantage in every round except the finals (and Calgary was another Cinderella team that year and only finished with one or two more points than Montreal) Quebec being upset by Hartford, the Islanders being upset by the Rangers and the Flames upsetting the Oilers were as significant in getting the Habs that Cup as anything the Habs themselves did. In 86 it wasn't about the teams the Habs beat; it was about the teams they didn't have to face.

In 93, after the Habs came back to beat Quebec, their path to the finals was easy. Buffalo upset Boston and the Islanders upset the Penguins. Then in the finals they got a clearly inferior Kings team that had barely been able to beat an equally inferior Leafs team in the Conference Finals.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

But the way the playoffs work today there is less chance that you can avoid tough match-up's and parity being what it is even the supposedly "easy" match-up's aren't that easy.

Add the Lightning to the list of teams who reportedly have a deal in place with Vegas.

Chris Johnston:
George McPhee: "We're going to have to move some defencemen because we're going to claim a bunch."

Back