• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Not bringing up Vlad is telling of what Shitkins actually thinks of their chances contending this year are.

I get playing those contract games with your average prospects, but if Vlad is as good as it looks like he is you'll have to pay him regardless.

Nobody seems to want to acknowledge Teoscar? He's awesome.

He's not a game changer or big mark on the franchise. That's the debate. What actual mark has the new regime put on this team? They are still living off AA's players and prospects - and they've been here for nearly 4 years.

Last edited:
Not bringing up Vlad is telling of what Shitkins actually thinks of their chances contending this year are.

I get playing those contract games with your average prospects, but if Vlad is as good as it looks like he is you'll have to pay him regardless.

The problem with Shatkins is that they may never really care if they contend. Even if money is available, i'm not convinced that they would ask ownership for it (i.e when Vladdy becomes a FA).

Last edited:

I know eh....

What a shitty situation to be in the for the Jays. A 26 year old free agent (or whatever causes him to get tons of money) that is really really really good. If you want him on this team in his mid to late 20's you'll need to pay him big money anyway.

If the plan is for him to only be a Jay until he's a free agent than none of this really matters anyway -- and it further shows how shitty and annoying Shatkins are.

Last edited:
I would not lose a year of salary control with Vladi . I would do what the Yanks did with Torres or Cubs with Bryant and buy time til its time under the CBA .
Well, to gain a full year of control on him, you have to wait until mid-April next year, and honestly I don't think you can justify waiting that long.

You avoid super-2 with him if you wait until mid-June to call him up. That doesn't get the year of control but saves 15m or so through the arbitration process. It's probably worth waiting that month for him, as much as I would love him up this weekend.

One legitimate question I have heard bandied about is the effect of a call up on Vladdy's development defensively. If we want him to be more than a DH he will need to take regular reps in the field, and if 3B is his position... well there is an all-star blocking his path currently.

Of course, they could trade Donaldson and then bring up Vladdy to be our 3B for the rest of the season. Maybe they do that.

From what I read is that Vladdy doesn't project as a 3B long-term. Also, Donaldson himself has one or two more years as a regular 3B.

There is a world where Donladson and Vladdy can co-exist. Won't happen with the Jays though...

One legitimate question I have heard bandied about is the effect of a call up on Vladdy's development defensively. If we want him to be more than a DH he will need to take regular reps in the field, and if 3B is his position... well there is an all-star blocking his path currently.

Of course, they could trade Donaldson and then bring up Vladdy to be our 3B for the rest of the season. Maybe they do that.

Yeah, that's the main argument against it at the moment. If you want to think long-term he needs consistent reps, and he won't get that on the big team. And he's not really known for his D, so it'd be really tough if you're trying to win to play him in the field and DH Donaldson more than, say, once a week. Of course, there's still a real debate whether he actually will stick at 3B long-term - I know on Fangraphs pre-season top-100 list they had him as a 1B, even if he's never played there, because that's most likely his long-term position.

He's not a game changer or big mark on the franchise. That's the debate. What actual mark has the new regime put on this team? They are still living off AA's players and prospects - and they've been here for nearly 4 years.

to be fair, so far as a jay Teoscar has played at an all-star level.

vladdy can't play an acceptable 3B right now. and with his body type, even if he does learn how to play there it won't be for long.

His 3B reps shouldn't really be an issue, imo.

Donaldson, like Bautista is going to lose tens of millions of dollars, he is finished. His body is shot. Nice to see Encarnacion ripped off Cleveland, same for Price. Shatkins is really smart, I like how they are playing this out.

Vladdy pretty much has to be promoted to AAA at least, and soon.

and probably will be.

Yup. If you're not going to give him time in the show yet, then at least move him up to the next level. It seems like AA is basically batting practice for him right now.

TorontoStar @TorontoStar
7s
#BlueJays pitcher Roberto Osuna must remain 100 metres away from a downtown Toronto building and has been ordered not to communicate with the woman he’s accused of assaulting earlier this month, according to a court document. thestar.com/sports/bluejay…

Back