• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canadiens acquire Joel Armia and Steve Mason

For $1.3m in cap space that we're not going to use anyway... we added a couple picks and a serviceable 3rd liner that we can possibly showcase in a bigger role. Then either flip him for a pick or keep him if he flourishes enough in that role.

I don't think this is anything to get overly excited about, but it's free assets. It only costs Geoff some real life dollars and I don't care about that.

The more 4th and 7th round picks you have, the better chance you have to get lucky and one hits.

You know, you can disagree with something without getting “excited”.

Then why make a trade ? Why take 1.3M extra on the cap for a 4th round pick ? Keep the 1.3M and try to take on a bigger contract but get a 1st or 2nd rounder

I guess they see Armia as part of a team for a while. With the possibility that he thrives like Wiese did here and they can maybe even flip him down the road for a 2/3 rounder.

It’s not moaning, it’s trying to understand. If you’re going to take on salary then make it worthwhile. I’m sure other teams were looking to unload salary too. I’m just finding this move underwhelming and really just a move for the sake of making one.

I look at it like this. If another team with cap space like Arizona or the Leafs made this trade I'd have wondered why the Habs weren't making deals for free assets.

The reason the return is underwhelming is that it's only $1.3m that it costs for 2 seasons. If it were a $3-4m hit... I think the return would have been a lot sexier.

I guess they see Armia as part of a team for a while. With the possibility that he thrives like Wiese did here and they can maybe even flip him down the road for a 2/3 rounder.

Yeah, in a limited role on a team where he was forced down the depth chart he scored 12g and 29p.... with an increased role he could be a 15-20g 35-40p guy.

People are missing the big picture here.

Stastny is going to resign in Winnipeg, not signing in montreal.

No tavares.

No stastny.

:joy

I look at it like this. If another team with cap space like Arizona or the Leafs made this trade I'd have wondered why the Habs weren't making deals for free assets.

The reason the return is underwhelming is that it's only $1.3m that it costs for 2 seasons. If it were a $3-4m hit... I think the return would have been a lot sexier.

Exactly. That cap hit is insignificant. It’s not like we took Lucio who has a lot of money and years left. For a simple 1.3M$ cap hit for 2 years, we got a young nhl forward and 2 picks which is basically for free. There isn’t much to complain about this move.

No tavares.

No stastny.

Oh we get that. Stastny is irrelevant for us if we are rebuilding. Would on,y have made sense on a short therm and we know this is not happening. ROR has 4 years left and would be a better plan for us since he would still be good when this team gets competitive again in 2 years.

You know, you can disagree with something without getting “excited”.

You know when I said "it's nothing to get overly excited about" I meant that it's not a trade to "love" aka "get overly excited about." I wasn't saying that people were getting "overly angry" about.

I’m just gonna look at it like Armia costs $1.3m more than he really will for 2 years.

You know when I said "it's nothing to get overly excited about" I meant that it's not a trade to "love" aka "get overly excited about." I wasn't saying that people were getting "overly angry" about.

Ya you were. You’re confused.

No tavares.

No stastny.

Yeah I didn’t want anything to do with Stastny on a 5 year deal. And I believe that’s probably what he is looking for.

Exactly. That cap hit is insignificant. It’s not like we took Lucio who has a lot of money and years left. For a simple 1.3M$ cap hit for 2 years, we got a young nhl forward and 2 picks which is basically for free. There isn’t much to complain about this move.

Yeah, if you take on Lucic... you need a 1st round pick and probably a decent prospect/young player too.

Like I'd take Lucic for the Oilers (unprotected) 2019 1st and Jesse Puljujarvi (yes I know he may be a bust... but the potential is there.)

Oh we get that. Stastny is irrelevant for us if we are rebuilding. Would on,y have made sense on a short therm and we know this is not happening. ROR has 4 years left and would be a better plan for us since he would still be good when this team gets competitive again in 2 years.

Yes, the rebuild is on, at least in some respect.

This is great news.

Back