• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

cmaleski, why don't you include the checkers stats in your report? Roy, Gauthier, Zykov, etc. I assume its cause they're 'pros', but it would be nice to see their stats too. I go to the chicklits site for that.

Last edited:
Mattheos' production has slowed down, only 1 point last week. Bean left last night's game with a lower body injury, he couldn't put weight on his left leg.

Yeah, what andyt said. Once they hit the AHL you can grab almost all of their stats from Checkers.com Once in a while I will note someone like Callum Booth, who is only in the ECHL because that allows him to play while Neds and Smith work on getting Charlotte to the AHL playoffs.

Since I brought the minor league goalies up:

Checkers:

Neds 6-0-0 2.35 GAA .916 Sv%
Smith 2-3-0 3.40 GAA .897 Sv%

Everblades:

Booth 3-1-0 2.24 GAA .922 Sv%

Martin Ouellette is the other goalie in Florida and is not Canes property. He is 5-0-0 2.01 GAA .924 Sv%

At this point, if the Canes needed to callup a goalie because of injury, Neds seems to have earned that callup. Its good to see him seize the #1 spot for Charlotte. In a week like this week where 3 games are played, Neds should make 2 of those starts.

Booth is doing fine so far. Hopefully this all holds to be form as I'm sure the Canes would love to have Neds be the NHL backup next season as they say farewell to Cam, have Booth starting at least 30 games in Charlotte with some 'AHL vet' as the other Charlotte goalie and Helvig playing as a 1B in Florida next season. The wildcard to all of this is Jack Lafontaine. I expect he will say in Michigan for his Junior year, but after that he might be looking to turn pro, perhaps giving us Booth, Helvig and Lafontaine in Charlotte and Florida for the 19-20 season with Darling/Neds in the NHL. I could envision Neds possibly pressuring Darling's starting job at some point during Darling's contract, Darling sure hasn't 100% seized the job yet.

Gauthier apparently in Uflie's doghouse. Wonder what's going on there. He's been a healthy scratch more than not after dressing the first 3 games.

Only reference to the healthy scratch of Gauthier I could find was this 10/17 article when it first occurred.

Excess of forwards. Win and stay in. 6-2 record since that date.

Doesn't explain it all, but at least some insight.

Yeah sorry for starting a false rumor... I read it up again and it was not at all worded that way. More along the lines like you said and that they also mentioned it happend to Fleury early on in the Checks last seaon. Where I got the work ethic thing, not so sure, particularly peculiar since the kind is like fitter than fit.

Checkers last week:

Wed @Utica W 5-2 Smith with the win. Foegele, Miller, Robertson, Zykov and Wallmark with the goals.

Fri. @Utica W 5-2 Neds with the win. Bishop x2, Roy, Poturalski and Kuokkanen with the goals.

Sat. @Syracuse L 5-3 Smith with the loss. Saarela, Roy, and Poturalski with the goals.

Charlotte currently sits at 10-4-0...good for 2nd in the AHL Atlantic Div. (using the AHLs % of points earned....Lehigh Valley is 9-4-2) The Checkers play 3 road games on Wed, Fri, Sat this week (again).

Canes draft picks and prospect stats through 11/13/2017

=======================================

Martin Necas (Chech Brno): 3 Games 2 Goals 1 Assist -1 *** Brno played a European Champions League game last week and won (they are in the final 8 now) Necas didn't play in that game. The Chech league regular season starts up again this week.

Eetu Luostarinen (Liiga KalPa): 21 Games 1 Goal 3 Assists -4 *** League on hold last week for European Champions League games

Luke Martin (Big-10 Michigan So.): 10 Games 1 Goal 2 Assists +5 ** This kid will not be about offensive numbers, his size and D skills are what will get this kid to the NHL

Morgan Geekie (WHL Tri-City): 19 Games 6 Goals 14 Assists -4

Stelio Mattheos (WHL Brandon): 18 Games 11 Goals 14 Assists +2

Brendan De Jong (WHL Portland): 15 Games 0 Goals 5 Assists -2

Ville Rasanen ( Jr. A SM-Liiga Jukurit U20): 16 Games 0 Goals 2 Assists -5

Jake Bean (WHL Calgary): 15 Games 2 Goals 13 Assists -6

Matt Filipe (Hockey East Northeastern So.): 9 Games 3 Goals 5 Assists +10

Hudson Elynuik (WHL Spokane): 20 Games 11 Goals 16 Assists +10

Max Zimmer (Big 10 Wisconsin So.): 8 Games 1 Goal 0 Assists Even

Noah Carroll (OHL Sault Ste. Marie): 18 Games 0 Goals 9 Assists +8

Luke Stevens (ECAC Yale So.): 6 Games 1 Goal 1 Assist -1

David Cotton (Hockey East Boston College So.): `11 Games 0 Goals 2 Assists -3

Eetu Makiniemi (Jr. A SM-Liiga Jokerit U20) 21 Appearances 3.33 GAA .907 Sv%

Jack Lafontaine (Big-10 Michigan So.): 4-1-0 2.97 GAA .902 Sv%

Jeremy Helvig (OHL Kingston): 9-4-2 2.58 GAA .916 Sv%

On the watch list:

Callum Booth (ECHL Florida) 4-1-1 1.96 GAA .928 Sv%

Nicolas Roy (AHL Charlotte) 13 Games 3 Goals 4 Assists +6 *** Heating up after a slow start

Lucas Wallmark (AHL Charlotte) 12 Games 4 Goals 11 Assists +7 *** Tied for 9th in AHL in points (Andrew Miller has 14 points)

Valentin Zykov (AHL Charlotte) 14 Games 8 Goals 5 Assists -2 **** Tied for 5th in AHL in Goals (Warren Foegele has 7 goals)

Alex Nedeljkovic (AHL Charlotte) 7-0-0 2.30 GAA .917 Sv% *** GAA is 9th in AHL, Sv% is 15th his 7 wins is one off the league lead

Zykov deserves a shot soon...more than enough AHL seasoning under his belt the past couple of years, big body, produces goals and offense. Canes for years have craved some physical wingers that can go to the front of the net and the dirty areas.

I agree with you CanadaCanes. We keep asking for guys willing to go into the dirty areas who can actually score goals from there, yet we let guys like Zykov sit in Charlotte while the NHL team has a hard time scoring goals.

The blocker at the moment for a Zykov opportunity is Brock McGinn, who has stepped up from a 4th line role and showed some of that goal scoring ability he had displayed in the AHL and in the OHL. Its amazing to me that McGinn just barely missed top cornering another backhand shot Monday night after scoring that sick top corner backhand shot the game before. I'm not at all sure I want Lee Stempniak back in the lineup once he is fully healthy. Where would he play? He's not exactly what I would look for as a 4th line winger and I obviously McGinn needs to stay in the top 9 as long as he is playing at the level he currently is.

There really is no NHL wing position for Zykov at the moment. But he should be the first callup if any of Aho, Teravainen, Skinner, Lindholm, Williams or McGinn have to miss time due to injury.

As for Lee Stempniak? I'm not sure when or if he is going to be healthy enough to play, but unless we make some sort of trade that removes one of our current top 6 wingers or someone gets hurt, he's a spare part, healthy scratch, potential waiver wire fodder at this moment when he is ready to go. Not sure the Canes are willing to sit him in the press box as a 13th forward or think he can play a 4th line role for us, but if things keep going as they are going now, that is exactly the position he is going to return to. If things really play out that way, I think the Canes might just waive Stempniak and hope that someone else grabs him up to save the money, especially if we trust our depth in Charlotte.

If you move Lindholm to Center and Rask to the PB, that makes room for Zykov.

If you move Lindholm to Center and Rask to the PB, that makes room for Zykov.

+1

I think with as much as Rask has struggled, it's definitely time for Peters and company to try someone else at center, and the someone else should be moving Lindholm to center and letting Rask watch several games from the press box or maybe even time for Rask to be traded away for another center that needs a change of scenery. The Canes cannot keep over-slotting Derek Ryan as well getting little to no production from Rask.

Once healthy, Stempniak will replace McGinn. This is Bill Peters we're talking about.

100% correct, which is why I’m so disenchanted with this team. I just have no hope of seeing any urgency offensively out of Peters at this point. He (and his staff) think this is good enough or else they’d be making some kind of changes from time to time. Instead we’re just watching the same old same old game in and game out. Every so often a guy like Turbo wakes up in a good mood and we have an offense. Otherwise .... Skinner and pray for rain.

Back