• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer Thread

23472887_10155506787049821_1040404289849116666_n.png

It was a right call by ref, it wasn't intentional, same as another controversial penalty situation against Swedish in first half, in both cases ref did well, but the fool inside the box in second half was %100 penalty.
If you mean one where Italian took one in his sack, he handballed it first.

for sure. program needs a reboot.

The rot goes deep, so it could take a little while.

Germany went through a massive reboot after the humiliating Euro 2000, but they had a sounder club structure than Italy has today and better infrastructure. That's a big source of the weakness, IMO, the clubs' role and investment in development of home grown talent.

Also they also need to accept that Giovinco could have helped. Maybe the clubs are paranoid they'll leak top players from Serie A if there's no threat of exclusion from the Azzurri (with a obvious mega club exceptions like RM or Barca, of course). Domestic chauvinism is not a luxury they can afford any more.

The biggest surprise in that list is the US.

Pretty much every pundit knew Italy was in for a tough go, and Holland just sux.

Chile is a bit of surprise, but South America is brutal and they are getting a little long in the tooth - like many smallish countries the next generation just isn't up to it.

But the US should have qualified. Flat out.

Please.

It was 2-2 uncalled penalties

There was only one penalty in favor of Italians which wasn't called. I have seen the number of different analysis. They don't call that handball penalty in such a crucial match, some ref may do that, but it could have been the harsh call, same as the other one in favor of Italian in the first half.

The whole federation was to be blamed for this disaster. Not only Ventura. I can't beleive a country which produced lots of great coaches and keep exporting them outside hire a guy which his biggest achievement was promoting clubs from Serie D to C and C to B. I mean, seriously? The guy simply lost the room. They should fire him after the first leg and hire Carlo who was without club.He had no clue about some basic stuffs, Swedish team was a tall opponent, strong on aerial battles, and fast on counter, there was very little ways to score from sides and on corners or long balls, yet he was trying this strategy for the whole 180 minutes. In such a situation you need players who are excellent shooters to take the long rang shots or need to win free-kick outside the box.

Look at when assistant-coach asked De Rossi to warm-up:

Italy, De Rossi hits out at Ventura: ‘Play the strikers not me’

Italy midfield star Daniele De Rossi didn’t start tonight’s game between Italy and Sweden. The Roma star was benched by Giampiero Ventura but when the Italian manager’s assistant told him to warm up, De Rossi shouted at him reportedly telling him: ‘Why should I warm up? What the f*** should I do? Play the strikers!” (watch below) Italy boss Ventura did not talk to Rai after the game and it is unsure whether he will show up for the post match press conference.

http://www.calciomercato.com/en/new...out-at-ventura-play-the-strikers-not-me-67736

The rot goes deep, so it could take a little while.

Germany went through a massive reboot after the humiliating Euro 2000, but they had a sounder club structure than Italy has today and better infrastructure. That's a big source of the weakness, IMO, the clubs' role and investment in development of home grown talent.

Also they also need to accept that Giovinco could have helped. Maybe the clubs are paranoid they'll leak top players from Serie A if there's no threat of exclusion from the Azzurri (with a obvious mega club exceptions like RM or Barca, of course). Domestic chauvinism is not a luxury they can afford any more.

What saved German football beside a very deep analysis of their failure which actually started from 1998 WC was letting the immigrant kids join the NT. They took France success as an example and tried to integrate anyone with German Citizenship, they even used some players like Gerald Asamoah who moved to Germany in early 90s. Italy did the same thing but somehow the effects weren't the same(surprising), as from what i heard the immigrant kids weren't welcomed and didn't feel as part of the team.

Last edited:
I can buy that, but a lot the German kids who don't have an immigrant background are much better too.

The team in the late 90s was crap.

I think Brazil-Germany-France should be he favorites......with Argentina always capable of making a run

There was only one penalty in favor of Italians which wasn't called. I have seen the number of different analysis. They don't call that handball penalty in such a crucial match, some ref may do that, but it could have been the harsh call, same as the other one in favor of Italian in the first half.
There was a trip in 1st half in the box against Sweden, then the two Italian hand balls also in the 1st then in the 2nd half, the Swede kicked the Italian in the balls.

A country with Italy’s history should never have made it to the relegation/playoff rounds to qualify....total failure, but nothing surprising when you witness the downfall of the country’s club game...an afterthought when compared to other leagues (outside of Juventus)

They have not evolved, and are still playing Jacques Lemaire-style soccer just like the Habs

Back