• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Misc 2018 Playoff News Thread

At the end of the day, Vegas had to play 82 regular season games and had to do it with an entirely new roster and new coach. Each team lost one player that team decided to expose. I'm not sure where the whining is coming from or why. I certainly don't think any owner or GM would have taken those odds back in July. Now, if I were a current GM, I'd be grateful I still have a job after what Vegas has accomplished because if my team didn't make the playoffs, especially year after year, I'd be looking over my shoulder.

Now, I do expect a market correction next season.

Yeah ... at least the Canes don't have to deal with that heat, at least not much. We exposed guys who made sense in the grand scheme and Vegas took a nothing player from us in the end. We didn't get burnt too badly by their fire starter summer.

Pretty much the only advantage Carolina had in not being particularly skilled nor deep! The bottom six and 3rd pairing D wasn't attractive.

To begin with it was evident out of the gates that this team had the best "all around" players of any expansion draft in NHL history. I had not thought too hard about this until now so looked it up. The most recent expansion was all in the last 10 years of the twentieth century including adding 9 teams. So this is to say that all of that expansion happened all at one time and the talent pool was deeper then anytime in hockey history.

To be more clear about the point I made about this draft being key to the success of the Golden Knights. I should have added that this would be a one off which then reminds me of our Canes in 2006. A bunch of cast away new age salary cap all around players who came together, and Shazam!

1991 San Jose Sharks
1992 Ottawa Senators / Tampa Bay Lightning
1993 Florida Panthers / Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
1998 Nashville Predators
1999 Atlanta Thrashers
2000 Columbus Blue Jackets / the Minnesota Wild
2017 Vegas Golden Knights

Sensational 60 minute game from the Caps last night, but I don't see them having anything left for Game 7 now.

Sensational 60 minute game from the Caps last night, but I don't see them having anything left for Game 7 now.

There was NO room to move on the ice last night which meant that offensive pressure only showed up in short-is bursts and nothing was sustained. I thought Tampa's passing really let them down in the first two periods. They had several opportunities that were bloobered up by misfired passes. Everybody seems pretty dialed in on D at this point, so Game 7 will either be even more technical or it will be a blowout because one team cracks.

I can't figure out Tampa. They have all the depth and talent in the world but don't seem to show up in the games they lose. Probably not as true for game 6, but very much true for their first two losses in Washington and opening loss against the Bruins. What Tampa team shows up in game 7 determines who wins the series. Will they give a crap?

I really don't think they were lacking in give a crap last night. They just weren't sharp passing the puck and both teams went full bore all night. Not sure what you're expecting out of them. Washington isn't laying down or self destructing like everybody seemed to think they would, and when they bow their backs that's a darned good team.

I thought last night's game six was a doozy! Tightly played, chippy playoff hockey that didn't show any cracks until the TJ Oshie goal. No one plays injured, but they're all playing hurt. I think Cooper is likely the better coach at making in-game changes, but Trotz has the Caps playing mentally and physically tough, which you want in playoff hockey. Tomorrow Tampa is at home and has the last change. I anticipate a balls to the wall game with everything left on the ice.

Well ... home ice advantage hasn't meant a hell of a lot thus far in this series, but I like Tampa at home as well. Amelie will be rockin' and Cooper will get his matchups ... and has better matchup options in the first place. If the goaltending holds, this is a Lightning W, I think.

Caps playing sort of like Game 6 vs the Pens... And have made the most of their chances. Tampa not so much on theirs. (That EN by Gourde.)

Tampa gave up with that 4th goal for Washington. Not that I expected they'd win but I figured the Caps would have to get to 5-0 for them to Quit.

Back