• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canadiens announce restructuring of player development personnel

in the new NHL, 4th liners like JDLR are hardly worth developing as many experienced ones are available for around $1M/yr

Exactly, you can get fully developed 4th liners for free or a low draft pick, it's not even worth developing them.

Marty Lapointe was just on TSN690, as he got into talking about this generation of player, u could hear the frustration in his voice regarding how hard he felt it was getting through to them....looks to me like he was gently pushed aside.

It is either bad drafting or bad development. The organization cannot have it both ways and claim it is the players' fault all the time.

I think it's both. Drafting probably more important -- I don't see the likes of Tinordi, Chips, Leblanc killing it elsewhere

I think it's both. Drafting probably more important -- I don't see the likes of Tinordi, Chips, Leblanc killing it elsewhere

I hate this argument though, if you waste prime development years of a player between 19-23, there is very little chance for them to make up for it later in their career when they are no longer favored by any organization. Late bloomers are extremely rare.

Exactly, you can get fully developed 4th liners for free or a low draft pick, it's not even worth developing them.

Then ppl here will get mad that we traded draft Picks for 4th liners or bottom pairing Dman instead of being able to develop them.

I believe that is what Timmins said after the draft, no one we have gotten rid of has done better elsewhere as if somehow that is a good point.

Then ppl here will get mad that we traded draft Picks for 4th liners or bottom pairing Dman instead of being able to develop them.

I don't really care if people get mad or not. I'd rather trade a 6th round pick for an established 4th liner or bottom d-man than using one to draft a player that has a 5% chance of becoming a 4th liner or a bottom d-man.

Also use every single draft picks for players that have top 9/bottom 4 potential.

I believe that is what Timmins said after the draft, no one we have gotten rid of has done better elsewhere as if somehow that is a good point.

That's his development line of defense. When he's questioned about the draft, he'll say he was overruled or the game changed without warning.

I hate this argument though, if you waste prime development years of a player between 19-23, there is very little chance for them to make up for it later in their career when they are no longer favored by any organization. Late bloomers are extremely rare.

I'm not saying a developmentally challenged talent should dominate with proper training later in life...but they should be able to stay in the league,

Truthfully, I never saw anything in the players I mentioned, even early on in the process.

I felt the same way about McCarron when we drafted him. When you draft players to be 3rd liners or bottom pairing D-men, the margin of error is ridiculously small. If you fail to live up to such modest ceilings, you're on your way out of the sport.

I'm not saying a developmentally challenged talent should dominate with proper training later in life...but they should be able to stay in the league,

Truthfully, I never saw anything in the players I mentioned, even early on in the process.

I felt the same way about McCarron when we drafted him. When you draft players to be 3rd liners or bottom pairing D-men, the margin of error is ridiculously small. If you fail to live up to such modest ceilings, you're on your way out of the sport.

I don't know, both Leblanc and Tinordi looked fine during their first stint in the big league, then regressed over the next few years to be completely out of the league. Had they progressed instead of regressing, they probably would still be in the league by now. Same thing with JDLR.

I don't know, both Leblanc and Tinordi looked fine during their first stint in the big league, then regressed over the next few years to be completely out of the league. Had they progressed instead of regressing, they probably would still be in the league by now. Same thing with JDLR.
Both also first came up as the league was transitioning to the present speed based NHL and there were slower players & teams still around - both players glaring weakness was their skating which only got magnified as the league became faster.

Pierre Turgeon added as a coach to the Kings. "Offensive Coordinator". I wonder if they knew Mathieu Darche was available :frown2:

Pierre Turgeon added as a coach to the Kings. "Offensive Coordinator". I wonder if they knew Mathieu Darche was available :frown2:

Comparing this thread's original post about Montreal's restructuring of player development personnel and Luc Robitaille's Open Letter from the LA Kings president is f*cking depressing.

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/f...nt/c-290294444

https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/open-letter-from-the-la-kings-president/c-290358274?tid=277567788

The arrogance in communication from the Canadiens organization is astonishing when compared to many professional sports in the US (I don't have many data points for the other Canadian markets). Organization leaders in many US sports organization actually spend time talking about their vision for the team, explaining decisions and even answering actual fan questions. The Canadiens for many years have acted in an arrogant "I don't need to explain myself to you, you wouln't understand" way. I really can't stand the way this organization treats their fans, some of the most devoted, and arguably some of the most knowledgeable fans on the planet, of the most prestigious team in hockey. They praise themselves as a class organization but that class is limited to within the organization. They look down at the fans like royalty used to look down at peasants. Eat cake is what they mean.

The arrogance in communication from the Canadiens organization is astonishing when compared to many professional sports in the US (I don't have many data points for the other Canadian markets). Organization leaders in many US sports organization actually spend time talking about their vision for the team, explaining decisions and even answering actual fan questions. The Canadiens for many years have acted in an arrogant "I don't need to explain myself to you, you wouln't understand" way. I really can't stand the way this organization treats their fans, some of the most devoted, and arguably some of the most knowledgeable fans on the planet, of the most prestigious team in hockey. They praise themselves as a class organization but that class is limited to within the organization. They look down at the fans like royalty used to look down at peasants. Eat cake is what they mean.

Well said.

When you're royalty, you don't care about getting votes. You don't need to sell your vision.

Back