• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

So you guys are saying you should lose your jobs, if you give someone the finger on the road and somebody happens to photograph it?

i'm saying that if you know your employer has issues with you making a political statement, you should take that into account before making a political statement.

And lets not make the disingenious comparison that this is the same as giving the finger to any driver out on the street... its not... it was a political statement.

You don't know what wrongful dismisal is if you think that's it. If she didn't have her place of employment on her Facebook, linked in is a click away. You can't hide behind it being your personal Facebook page. It's extremely naive of you to think you can.

As for you not having to do anything with a company that would fire over this well congrats, you just limited your employment to 30% of employers, if you're lucky.
I think a lot more than 30% of employers would be fine with this. If this was me, my boss would probably give me a raise because of it he hates Trump.

But with anything like this, it all comes down to your place in the company. If you're an easily replaceable cog, then this is easily something a company can dump you over. But if you're a vital link, then you can get away with it. Key is you gotta find a place where you're important enough that they wouldn't dream of firing you over something stupid like that.

It’s a completely disrespectful act.

You can’t have a person that flagrantly disrespects the President and pastes it all over the internet, be a representative of your company or brand.

Maybe she can hook up with the Twitter grunt that disabled the Donald’s account for a few minutes and sell t-shirts or something.

Do you honestly believe that this is a fire-able offense? Yes or no.

I can get in shit for what I put on my Facebook, I know soldiers who got in shit shit for posting a photo or meme on their Facebook, a cop got suspended for what he wrote on Facebook, this woman can/should absolutely be fired for what she pits on her social media.

I can get in shit for what I put on my Facebook, I know soldiers who got in shit shit for posting a photo or meme on their Facebook, a cop got suspended for what he wrote on Facebook, this woman can/should absolutely be fired for what she pits on her social media.

That's my point. I'm not saying it should never happen, because there are obviously times when it's appropriate. I just think it's gotten a little out of control. A silly act that was not a big deal and had nothing to do with the company or its social media. It's a slippery slope IMO.

i'm saying that if you know your employer has issues with you making a political statement, you should take that into account before making a political statement.

People make political statements on their own personal time, every day. I don't feel that this is an appropriate response in this case.

Last edited:
Same as when it happened to James Damore. Freedom of speech does not equal a freedom from repercussions for your actions.

I wouldn't fire anyone for something like that. Most likely wouldn't. But they can. They are a conservative federal contractor in Virginia so its not that shocking.

It’s everyone against the United States of America.

When Donald Trump announced that he intends to pull out of the Paris climate agreement, the implication was that the US would join Syria and Nicaragua as the only non-signatories of the accord. The other holdouts had legitimate excuses: Syria was in the middle of a war and Nicaragua thought the agreement wasn’t ambitious enough.

Now, both countries have had a change of heart.

At the climate talks in Bonn, Germany today (Nov. 7), the Syrian government announced that it will sign the Paris climate agreement after all, according to Climate Tracker. Last month, Nicaragua also signed up. That leaves the US as the only country opting not to be part of the global consensus on climate action.

https://qz.com/1122371/cop23-syria-...g-the-us-alone-against-the-rest-of-the-world/

DN9w3diXUAEKyz1.jpg:large

Same as when it happened to James Damore. Freedom of speech does not equal a freedom from repercussions for your actions.

I wouldn't fire anyone for something like that. Most likely wouldn't. But they can. They are a conservative federal contractor in Virginia so its not that shocking.

It’s not like the James Damore case in the slightest.

He (and all employees) were asked for their feedback, and he naively gave them his feedback. It was leaked from an internal bulletin board to the outrage machine by some SJW snowflake. He was fired for promoting gender stereotypes when his essay was science based.

That’s a little different than flipping off the President and then attention whoring all over social media about it.

It’s not like the James Damore case in the slightest.

He (and all employees) were asked for their feedback, and he naively gave them his feedback. It was leaked from an internal bulletin board to the outrage machine by some SJW snowflake. He was fired for promoting gender stereotypes when his essay was science based.

That’s a little different than flipping off the President and then attention whoring all over social media about it.

Still an idiot.

Yeah, what he did was on a whole different level. They're not even comparable, really. And it actually had something to do with the company, since it happened, you know ... at the company.

Back