• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Radulov

You're cherry picking. There have also been exceptions to your rule and Radulov is definitely better than all the ones you've posted.

Okay, name them. More specifically, name recent free agents coming into their late 20s early 30s that have been the exceptions. All of those players I listed were the big name forwards available as free agents last summer.

There aren't a lot of those exceptions and I have no real reason to believe Radulov will be one of them. What, because we have an emotional tie to him right now he's going to buck the trend?

Beleskey was always shit though. One outlier in a contract year does not make him comparable to Radulov in any way.

He had one season with a super high shooting percentage. He wasn't a scorer before that year and isn't a scorer afterwards. Its not a surprise.

Point isn't to compare players, simply to point out (once again) that players often start to regress at around that age. Beleskey went from third liner to borderline AHL caliber in two season.

Okay, name them. More specifically, name recent free agents coming into their late 20s early 30s that have been the exceptions. All of those players I listed were the big name forwards available as free agents last summer.

There aren't a lot of those exceptions and I have no real reason to believe Radulov will be one of them. What, because we have an emotional tie to him right now he's going to buck the trend?
You're only making players that went to UFA, not players resigned by their own clubs.

Cherry picking.

No way we sign Radulov to 6 years like some are suggesting. I'd got 4 years max at 6 million. Would that be enough is the question but it all depends on how Radulov and his family love their life right now in Montreal. Could play in the balance. His family just left Russia and had to go through getting used to a new environment. I'd be surprised if Radulov's wife wants to go through all that again so I'm hoping it plays in the balance and radulov signs a bit cheaper in Montreal.

You're only making players that went to UFA, not players resigned by their own clubs.

Cherry picking.

Maybe because teams aren't re-signing their 30 year old forwards to massive deals? Hardly cherry picking.

So from Jan 1st 2016 to Aug 31st 2016, the following players in their late 20s early 30s were signed by their own teams to big deals: Anze Kopitar, turning 30 & had a career worst year. Matthieu Perreault, good deal so far, just turned 29.

From Jan 1st 2015 to Aug 31st 2015, the following in their late 20s early 30s players were signed by their own teams to big deals: Mats Zuccarello, turning 30 this september, good deal. Artem Anisimov, turning 29, good deal. Ryan Kesler, turning 33, while having a small ressurgeance, has a terrible deal. Brandon Sutter, turned 28, bad deal.

By my count, there are many more crappy deals given out to forwards in that age bracket than good ones.

But Radulov will be different, because...?

It's a risk, but you also can't really be a contender with only players in their 20's with favourable contracts. The cap isn't so low that one or two overpaid $6 million players are going to kill your roster (e.g. Plekanec). Besides it's tougher for this organization to find prime offensive talent than to get rid of these types of contracts. Radulov would definitely be worth the risk assuming he's not too greedy.

No way we sign Radulov to 6 years like some are suggesting. I'd got 4 years max at 6 million. Would that be enough is the question but it all depends on how Radulov and his family love their life right now in Montreal. Could play in the balance. His family just left Russia and had to go through getting used to a new environment. I'd be surprised if Radulov's wife wants to go through all that again so I'm hoping it plays in the balance and radulov signs a bit cheaper in Montreal.

He might want to stay with us, but I'm pretty sure many teams will offer >6. That's basically what he signed for last summer when he was deemed high risk.

The league is starving for offensive talent with size.

I'd rather term be limited to 4 years, but I'm not too stressed about cap hit.

The Habs have little or nothing on the farm. Hudon? Scherbak?

I'd rather term be limited to 4 years, but I'm not too stressed about cap hit.

The Habs have little or nothing on the farm. Hudon? Scherbak?

Therein lies the bigger (and much more worriesome) root of the problem.

If this team had drafted & developped properly like, say, the Anaheim Ducks, we could easily live with a bad contract like the one they gave to Ryan Kesler. They have a bunch of prospects coming up with nice potential.

However, with Galchenyuk getting a raise (all assuming we keep him) this summer, Price getting a raise next summer and MaxPac getting a raise two summers from now, we don't have that luxary.

We have no choice....we have to pay the guy...6 mil is what the market dictates he should get

It's a risk, but you also can't really be a contender with only players in their 20's with favourable contracts. The cap isn't so low that one or two overpaid $6 million players are going to kill your roster (e.g. Plekanec). Besides it's tougher for this organization to find prime offensive talent than to get rid of these types of contracts. Radulov would definitely be worth the risk assuming he's not too greedy.

Sure. You pay for absolute elite talent and make use of players in their prime at great value. You don't give your great young talent bridge deals, you give them long term deals right after their ELCs and you end up with players like Roman Josi, a top-5 d-man in the NHL, making $4M until he turns 31.

We have no choice....we have to pay the guy...6 mil is what the market dictates he should get

The $6M isn't the issue. I don't think anyone here, myself included, think he's worth less than that (if they do, then not by much).

It's the term that I'm opposed to.

5-6 years is ok.....he'll be 36-37....Kovalev was making 5.5 mil at that age....

Radu isn't a fast skater anyways, so age won't change much for that.... it's his hands and IQ that we need.....

Why are we only looking at players signing new contracts.

There are plenty of players in the league who were productive in their early 30s, and who are productive in their early 30s now.

5-6 years is ok.....he'll be 36-37....Kovalev was making 5.5 mil at that age....

Radu isn't a fast skater anyways, so age won't change much for that.... it's his hands and IQ that we need.....

true and we also need to remember he played a number of years in an inferior league where he played fewer games. There are probably fewer miles on his body than most his age.

Therein lies the bigger (and much more worriesome) root of the problem.

If this team had drafted & developped properly like, say, the Anaheim Ducks, we could easily live with a bad contract like the one they gave to Ryan Kesler. They have a bunch of prospects coming up with nice potential.

However, with Galchenyuk getting a raise (all assuming we keep him) this summer, Price getting a raise next summer and MaxPac getting a raise two summers from now, we don't have that luxary.

This is all reasonable. But who is on the Habs' Top 6 next year if Radulov walks?

This is all reasonable. But who is on the Habs' Top 6 next year if Radulov walks?

We must find a way to keep him but if he walks, he money is available to get someone else to take his spot, either via trades or UFA signing. Hockey trade happen more often during the summer anyway. I expect some deal to happen before the Expansion draft this year so it might make it for an entertaining end of june.

But Radulov doesn't cost an asset to keep so the focus is obviously to try to sign him, but if this is not possible, Bergevin will have homework to do to replace him.

Back