• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

Interestly enough. If you continue after that article there's one from Logan Couture called the 5 Toughest Defensemen I've ever faced.You expect him to say Weber but in fact he gives a nod to Subban instead. He lists Josi but prefaces it with saying that he could have used Josi, Doughty, Karlsson or Subban but chose Josi.

Roman Josi
Guys like Josi, Doughty, Karlsson and Subban are difficult to play against because they’re not just one-dimensional. They can beat you in so many ways. I could mention any of those guys here, but I’ll highlight Josi specifically because he’s still a little bit under the radar, and (unfortunately for us) we see a lot of him. Because he’s been paired with Shea Weber the past few years, people don’t realize how good he is himself.

Josi’s biggest strength is his elite skating ability. He’s so smooth that he can skate the puck out of trouble while making it look easy. On the Predators’ breakout, he’s usually leading the rush. He skates the puck up the middle of the ice and keeps driving in the offensive zone, similar to the way Burnzie does it.

Watch what he does here to create time and space for his forwards to make a line change, and then when the fresh troops come on, he opens up the play and drives the puck into the offensive zone.

Weber strikes me as the type of player that would be a pain in the *** for most players, but a small segment of players (perhaps shifty, fast ones like Couture) might handle him with relative ease.

The final tally for the regular season:

http://www.pksubbantracker.com/

Pretty close in terms of points and Subban, had he not been injured, was on a pace to out-score Weber. But Subban didn't have to spend all season carrying a useless Emelin and making him look credible either. In the end, there are 2 stats which stand out. The Habs won more games than the Preds and Weber's +20 is miles better than Subban's -8. This is even more stark when you consider the quality of Weber's defence partner compared to Subban's.

The final tally for the regular season:

http://www.pksubbantracker.com/

Pretty close in terms of points and Subban, had he not been injured, was on a pace to out-score Weber. But Subban didn't have to spend all season carrying a useless Emelin and making him look credible either. In the end, there are 2 stats which stand out. The Habs won more games than the Preds and Weber's +20 is miles better than Subban's -8. This is even more stark when you consider the quality of Weber's defence partner compared to Subban's.

So 2 of the most useless stats for comparing players on different team.

So 2 of the most useless stats for comparing players on different team.

Mmmmmmmmm.... sometimes. But when the difference is that large it's an indicator.

Agree though, not as bad as it looks. Put Price on the Preds... I think that +/- looks a little better.

Mmmmmmmmm.... sometimes. But when the difference is that large it's an indicator.

Agree though, not as bad as it looks. Put Price on the Preds... I think that +/- looks a little better.

Put price on the preds?

Ryan ellis, +17
Matt Irwin, +11
Roman Josi, +7
Mattias Ekholm, +4
Yannick Weber, +1
Pk Subban,-8

Preds top 6 defensemen this year, notice a outlier?

Amazing how the Bergevin ass lickers/Subban haters keep bringing up Subban all the time. #obssessed

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Predators (team) 5v5 SV% with Subban on the ice. .902
Habs (team) 5v5 SV% with Weber on the ice. .949

Plus/minus is MEANINGLESS.

Expected goals for % (takes into account shot quality generated, vs shot quality conceeded).

Subban 55.39%
Weber 53.33%

My brain shuts down when we go into stat overload.

Can we all agree to kill this thread... if not now at the end of this season? Ugh.

Predators (team) 5v5 SV% with Subban on the ice. .902
Habs (team) 5v5 SV% with Weber on the ice. .949

Plus/minus is MEANINGLESS.

Well Weber gets the best sv% on the team, about .010% higher than the second best one.
Subban gets the 20th best sv% on the team.

Maybe there is an explanation.

Well Weber gets the best sv% on the team, about .010% higher than the second best one.
Subban gets the 20th best sv% on the team.

Maybe there is an explanation.

I already accounted for this argument.... Check the expected goals for stat. Subban is actually ahead of weber in this.

When I see two players with almost identical offensive output but a 28 point swing between their plus/minus (+20 vs -8) it tells me that one of those two players is taking care of business in his own end much better than the other. Scoring is good but if you're a defenceman it's also about the goals the other team doesn't score when you're on the ice. Minus 8 isn't getting you into the Norris conversation no matter how much you score at the offensive end.

My brain shuts down when we go into stat overload.

Can we all agree to kill this thread... if not now at the end of this season? Ugh.

Shouldn't we wait until we see how each of them performs in the games that really matter? Let's face it: this deal is about what happens in the playoffs.

When I see two players with almost identical offensive output but a 28 point swing between their plus/minus (+20 vs -8) it tells me that one of those two players is taking care of business in his own end much better than the other. Scoring is good but if you're a defenceman it's also about the goals the other team doesn't score when you're on the ice. Minus 8 isn't getting you into the Norris conversation no matter how much you score at the offensive end.
When I see someone use +/- to compare players... Especially on different teams. It tells me something...

Jared Spurgeon, Ryan Suter, Brooks Orpik and And Orlov are the top Dmen in the league according to WeHave

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Jared Spurgeon, Ryan Suter, Brooks Orpik and And Orlov are the top Dmen in the league according to WeHave

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

in fairness, that is a strawman

I will admit though, not sure why the same cast of characters keep bringing up the trade. I hated it when it was made and still think it was dumb and will be dumber the older Weber gets. However, I spend no time wondering how Subban is doing. He no longer plays for us.

Back