• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Perhaps the Jays aren't making Rogers as much as we assumed. Or at least as much as they wanted to make.
I dunno. I would bet that the Jays do make a pretty healthy profit.

But whatever the Blue Jays make, it's just a drop in the bucket when you stack it up against the revenues, and profits/losses of Rogers Communications as a whole. So, Rogers executives might just figure that the relatively small amount of money the Jays bring in isn't worth the administrative bother of running the team, and the PR hassle of being hated on by baseball fans across the country. Especially if they're confident that they can still secure the Blue Jays as content for their media division without having to own the team.

they're just selling high while they have a full house.

typical rogers - jays doing well only means that its a good time to sell.

It could also mean a Jeter like group that cuts everything.

Rogers is awful because they dont spend to their capacity, but it's entirely possible they sell to someone that does, but spends less than 170 that Rogers does.

Frankly, i'm not sure how much more MLSE would even be willing to go as NHL payrolls and MLB payrolls are 2 different things.

Perhaps the Jays aren't making Rogers as much as we assumed. Or at least as much as they wanted to make.

From Rogers standpoint, they figure that they can have their cake (using the Jays as a marketing vehicle) for 30-40 million more a year than it costs them now while cashing out on about a 6 bagger investment (they bought for 165 million I think...the team is worth close to a billion now).

They're also a huge corporate whore of an organization, so the ability to pad a quarterly report with a 800-900 million dollar gain for the sake of the shareholders is appealing. Using that money to invest in their core business will please their shareholders and likely drive stock price growth.

Be careful what you wish for. As penny pinching as Rogers appears to be there could just as easily be worse owners.

The only owners worse in MLB are the jackasses who own the Mets.

I'm with Zeke, I'll take my chances. There's a good reason that the ownership dynamic in MLB is the opposite of the Jays-Rogers relationship. Teams own their broadcast arm, Rogers is the only broadcaster that owns the team.

As much as I dislike Rogers, it doesn't make sense for them to sell the Jays. Too much money to be made and they literally own everything jays. Stadium, marketing/tv rights etc

It could also mean a Jeter like group that cuts everything.

Rogers is awful because they dont spend to their capacity, but it's entirely possible they sell to someone that does, but spends less than 170 that Rogers does.

Frankly, i'm not sure how much more MLSE would even be willing to go as NHL payrolls and MLB payrolls are 2 different things.

MLSE has figured out that winning >

It took them a while, but they've learned. MLSE would spend to what the team could support. The Jays, with a real TV contract in place, could easily spend to 190 and that's with the lopsided dollar. During periods of relative dollar parity, they could afford to spend like the Yankees.

As much as I dislike Rogers, it doesn't make sense for them to sell the Jays. Too much money to be made and they literally own everything jays. Stadium, marketing/tv rights etc

None of that comes close to the value increase in the franchise. You have to remember, these guys live and die on a quarter to quarter basis. How's the company doing....dunno, check the share price. That's the mentality.

This makes perfect corporate whore sense.

It makes sense.

jays are just another investment to them.

buy low, sell high.

mlb-franchise-value-of-the-toronto-blue-jays-since-2006.jpg

plus Rogers just got a new CEO I believe. who I read somewhere thinks Rogers is wasting its time by not focusing on its core product offerings. and I'm sure wants to make his mark on the company. and a $1 bn black mark looks real good on a balance sheet.

plus Rogers just got a new CEO I believe. who I read somewhere thinks Rogers is wasting its time by not focusing on its core product offerings. and I'm sure wants to make his mark on the company. and a $1 bn black mark looks real good on a balance sheet.

I for one support him in his myopic view.

b86774e3add261f7f99907a14b00d5a662dc981ce0f2199ef42e8abab6aa76b3.jpg

Back