• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

All-Star Game

They can play Tyler Johnson's 3rd goal last night as part of Hanifin's All Star introduction video.

This was all about balancing out the number of Dmen on the Metro team. If you are only leaving room for 6 forwards per division, its hard for even Aho to make the cut. The All Star game is all about goals, and Hanifin has 7 of those, which is pretty good for half a season.

Last edited:
This was all about balancing out the number of Dmen on the Metro team. If you are only leaving room for 6 forwards per division, its hard for even Aho to make the cut. The All Star game is all about goals, and Hanifin has 7 of those, which is pretty good for half a season.

I get all of that, but if they had to take a defenseman from our roster, Slavin and/or Pesce are more deserving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deserve has nothing to do with it. Goals scored has everything to do with it.

What is Pesce going to do 3v3 in the All-Star game? WE know Slavin has some slick skills offensively that he only breaks out once in a great while, but the only thing that matters when selecting D Men for a 3v3 All star tournament is 'how many goals do they have or can generate? Your solid 2 way Dman or defensive stopper need not apply, this is a 3v3 goal scoring show.

This is not the All Star games or old...heck its not even really an All Star game. Its just an offensive and goaltending skills showcase. Noah fits what they are looking for.

Last edited:

What is Pesce going to do 3v3 in the All-Star game? WE know Slavin has some slick skills offensively that he only breaks out once in a great while, but the only thing that matters when selecting D Men for a 3v3 All star tournament is 'how many goals do they have or can generate? Your solid 2 way Dman or defensive stopper need not apply, this is a 3v3 goal scoring show.

Kris Letang and Seth Jones are the other dmen from the metro. Letang has 3-24-27, Jones has 7-21-28, Hanifin has 7-14-21. With only 6 forwards, it's tough to make the team. Aho is tied for 10th in goals in the Metro. Lee, Couturier, Grabner, Kessel and Malkin all have more than him and none made the team.

Remind me why this thing gets played again?

HRR (Hockey Related Revenue). Its all about the money, for the players participating, the NHLPA, the host city, and the NHL.

CBA 50.a.i.C includes the All-Star game and the festivities around it as included in the overall HRR calculations, so long as the All-Star weekend actual comes out in the black. The players who go usually have a blast and the fact that such a game exists increases the revenue pool the NHL and NHLPA shares. As long as there is money to be made for all parties, this game will continue no matter how ridiculous it becomes.

For an allstar game, I kind of like 3 on 3 better anyhow. Why have the D out there to not play D. It's just too bad the excellent defenders in the league don't have an opportunity for the recognition and if there's money for them in it.

Luke DeCock noted that Hanifin has an all-star game bonus as part of his entry level bonus structure. That is going to cost the Canes a cool $212,500 now that he has been named to the team. Welcome to NHL ownership Mr. Dundon!

This is not the All Star games or old...heck its not even really an All Star game. Its just an offensive and goaltending skills showcase. Noah fits what they are looking for.

This is why I no longer give a crap about the NHL All Star game.

And it's worth pointing out here that in addition to just being a better player than Hanifin, Jacob Slavin has also been VASTLY better in OT settings thus far in their careers.

I honestly though that was a joke when I saw the announcement on social media last night.

I was going to ask, how much ice time does Hanifin get in OT vs. Slavin. (Although that his somewhat muted by Peters 2 d-man OT strategy).

The NHL picked Hanifin. And with the Metro filled with a large number of deserving forwards, many who didn't get picked, the Canes were mostly likely going to be tapped for a DMan. From there its just a matter of going down the points list and finding the Canes Dman with the most points.

I don't think anyone here would argue that Hanifin is the best DMan on our team, Slavin clearly is (not really close, at least at this point). But Hanifin does have the most points which is all that matters for the All-Star 'game'.

As for that question about Hanifin vs. Slavin in OT...that would take some figuring out, that is not a readily available stat. But certainly Slavin gets more time out there than Hanifin (and deservedly so). I suspect that Slavin would be every bit at as capable as Hanifin in term of scoring goals and putting up points if he got more PP time (which he might start getting if the Tampa game was any indication, he did get a PP assist) and if Slavin decided to be more reckless out there and not focus so much on D (which obviously he is not going to do and we don't want him to do).

Last edited:
Back