• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Tank Nation Redux 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tank Nation 2014

You're assuming that we'd only have to tank for one season. A proper rebuild requires tanking for 3 or 4 years at minimum.

U could avoid all the tanking, if u just choose the proper 1st rounder at a rate of say once in 2-drafts & proper asset mgmt. Since 2001, only Higgins, Price, McD, MaxPac are NHL regulars out of the Habs 1st rounders - add in Giroux + one of a plethora in 2003, and this team looks very different. That's really the difference, between this team being solid vs what they are presently IMO - 2 players.

You don't have to convince me of that although you are forgetting the Belarussian who we took instead of Carter in 2003. He was a regular but left for the cozy confines of the homeland. For all the lauding that Trevor the Great receives, he doesn't have much to show for it in terms of top end players.

Last edited:

far more failures with tanking than successes

if we are going to miss the playoffs....lets be 15th
but as teh oilers, islanders, panthers, jackets, etc can show... it doesnt work

the pens got two generational talents (plus staal and fluery) ... i would not count on that
the hawks had two top 5 picks ...which we already have

Don't shoot the messenger. If the team had done what I was advocating I wouldn't have to repeat myself every damn year. I suspect that management knows what needs to be done but they just can't bring themselves to do it. They don't have the guts to give up on 8th place on purpose (and for more than just one year) in order to properly rebuild. Muddling along in mediocrity is the path of least resistance.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you mate it's just...

:beatdeadhorse5:

Tanking is not required to win. Of the current top 10 teams in the league, only half of them have tanked for multiple years.

Reservedly, there is 3 teams in the bottom 5 in the league that have already tanked for multiple seasons (over 7 seasons) with no success.

Tanking is not required to win. Of the current top 10 teams in the league, only half of them have tanked for multiple years.

Reservedly, there is 3 teams in the bottom 5 in the league that have already tanked for multiple seasons (over 7 seasons) with no success.

If the Habs had 27 and Sean Monoghan as their top two centers moving forward, or even 27 with Nikushin up front, we'd all be feeling a lot better. Just saying.

Drafting Giroux-type talent so late in the first round is mostly a function of luck.

You definitely have more chance to grab top talent the higher you draft but it's not a guarantee either. I'm all for having high picks but we have too many good players on the roster to tank. We'd need a truly inept coach to achieve that. Even MT is not inept enough.

"Proper rebuild" of three or four years?

Wasted - ages 24-27 of PK Subban
Wasted - ages 27-30 of Carey Price
Wasted - ages 26-29 of Max Pacioretty
Wasted - Galchenyuk and Gallagher on ELC deals next year and 3 years of their RFA deals

That's ****ing insanity. Pure insanity.

You have two top 5 picks there and a 23 year old Norris winner. Why the hell would you waste that trying to get a pick that might turn out as good Galchenyuk or Subban?

"Proper rebuild" of three or four years?

Wasted - ages 24-27 of PK Subban
Wasted - ages 27-30 of Carey Price
Wasted - ages 26-29 of Max Pacioretty
Wasted - Galchenyuk and Gallagher on ELC deals next year and 3 years of their RFA deals

That's ****ing insanity. Pure insanity.

You have two top 5 picks there and a 23 year old Norris winner. Why the hell would you waste that trying to get a pick that might turn out as good Galchenyuk or Subban?

The more of them , the merrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back