• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

Re: Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2017-18 Edition

What is Gally going to say ....hey we suck donkey balls but at least we are trying

He is like every other athlete with the same script

He was talking about the team on paper at the first. He is the type that probably would say we sucked donkey balls

yep. in his post trade interview. great young players like Arturri and Hudon

I like our young wingers as well. But i hope they get some help down the middle.

Carey Price alone will normally win us the division. On paper the team did not look like 4th from the NHL bottom. Even BG said the same thing after the season. My main concern was losing Markov. Knew that was gonna hurt.
BG is a idiot then.

It was clear from the off season that the team had that they were in trouble. This team couldn't score in the playoffs and they removed their puck moving defenseman and their bull in a China shop in radulov.

You constantly predict this team is going to do well when all the evidence points to the contrary.

The evidence is more on my side than your's in this area. The last two bad years have seen empty seats, hell this yr we barely sold out the home opener.

Charging people for an NHL product while telling them no playoffs for 3+ yrs is not an easy sell.

Agreed.

On the flip side though, is charging people for a NHL product while telling them they are going to make the playoffs and then fail spectacularly any better?

The fickle Mtl fan will not

Not sure why he cannot understand that simple point. What people do not understand is that while fans want hope, they also want entertainment. There will always be Wehave types who say a season is a failure unless you win a Cup, but those types are few and far between.

I know when I fork out $800+ for a game for three tickets, food, parking etc, I want to be entertained. I want to know my team has a solid shot to win the game I paid to see. It doesn't always turn out the way I want but at least I want a chance to win.

Going the scorched earth policy means I have no legitimate shot to see my team win more than say 25 games in a season. This year was absolutely brutal. I know some here stroked themselves over every loss but it was the worst season in my 50 years as a fan. We had no hope from game 8 of the season. I would prefer not having three seasons with no hope.

Agreed.

On the flip side though, is charging people for a NHL product while telling them they are going to make the playoffs and then fail spectacularly any better?

The fan reaction this year showed how we do not like being lied to, or having a team going into the season knowing it cannot compete. The players knew being 10% under cap was a recipe for disaster. As was mentioned, people did not even show up for training camp as they had in the past. We all knew it was going to be a terrible year. Injuries and others made it a disastrous year.

While Tavares might not get us to the promised land, he would be the best player we have brought into the organization in a very long time. At least there would be hope the team would be better next year than this year. He likely will not sign with us, but we are one of the few teams that can cough up the $$ for him.

Irony is that Bergevin might benefit from his failure of last July.

Not sure why he cannot understand that simple point. What people do not understand is that while fans want hope, they also want entertainment. There will always be Wehave types who say a season is a failure unless you win a Cup, but those types are few and far between.

I know when I fork out $800+ for a game for three tickets, food, parking etc, I want to be entertained. I want to know my team has a solid shot to win the game I paid to see. It doesn't always turn out the way I want but at least I want a chance to win.

Going the scorched earth policy means I have no legitimate shot to see my team win more than say 25 games in a season. This year was absolutely brutal. I know some here stroked themselves over every loss but it was the worst season in my 50 years as a fan. We had no hope from game 8 of the season. I would prefer not having three seasons with no hope.

This was the team trying to win. This wasn't scorched earth, this was the "the defense is better than last year" team.

So what's the difference? If the team is trying win next season and fails again, what is the diffence from a fans viewpoint?

They weren't trying to win this year, after the Radulov and Markov "my dick is bigger than your's" fest, Bergevin was a defeated man. He didn't even try.

His this defence is better was like Pickett's charge on day 3 in Gettysburg, mere bravado after a lost cause. No way he legitimately could have thought the d was better.

No one in his right mind could think that Streit could replace Markov.

We never tried to win this year, that is why the players' attitudes were so bad. They knew they had been left out to dry.

They weren't trying to win this year, after the Radulov and Markov "my dick is bigger than your's" fest, Bergevin was a defeated man. He didn't even try.

His this defence is better was like Pickett's charge on day 3 in Gettysburg, mere bravado after a lost cause. No way he legitimately could have thought the d was better.

We never tried to win this year, that is why the players' attitudes were so bad. They knew they had been left out to dry.

Again, if he is trying again next season like he did this season, what difference is it from scorched earth?

Was there ever an example of a tanking team drawing better crowds than a (relatively) competitive team?

I didn't watch the team this year because they sucked. If they deliberately try to suck next year, I won't watch them either. Unlike some of you, I have a hard time cheering a team to lose.

true

Was there ever an example of a tanking team drawing better crowds than a (relatively) competitive team?

I didn't watch the team this year because they sucked. If they deliberately try to suck next year, I won't watch them either. Unlike some of you, I have a hard time cheering a team to lose.

I would cheer for a young team that is learning. But I like prospects and stuff.

The players were abandoned by the administration and didn't buy into the coach system. It's a bad combo.

Again, if he is trying again next season like he did this season, what difference is it from scorched earth?

Perception becomes reality. If he doesn't even try to get Tavares, people will be pissed. If he goes another year without getting a centre, he will end up like Robespierre.

Perception becomes reality. If he doesn't even try to get Tavares, people will be pissed. If he goes another year without getting a centre, he will end up like Robespierre.

So the answer you're avoiding to answer directly is that there is no difference.

So the answer you're avoiding to answer directly is that there is no difference.

It wasn't a legitimate question, it was rhetorical. Trying and failing is easier to sell than not trying and failing.

Back