• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs sign John Tavares to 7 year/ $77m deal

Tough to say. On one hand as Zeke pointed out recently, Lilly's 18 yr old rookie season in the AHL was about as good as Dermott's 19 yr old rookie season (not relatively, but in absolute terms). On the other hand, he's 19 for the entire duration of next season, so he's ridiculously young. I don't think many people expected Dermott to break out quite like he did this season, and I don't think we should expect it from Lilly next season. The year after though? Strong training camp, not a lot of right handed options standing in his way? I think that's pretty reasonable. He may or may not be ready, but I expect him to get a legit shot at making the team in 19/20

dermott's 20yr old season.

giphy.gif

OK, so the great hope with Tavares at $11m is that he's not just as good as he has been, but that he could see a significant boost in production rates with the leafs than he did with the Isles.

So please, everyone, make your best case that he will do just that.

OK, so the great hope with Tavares at $11m is that he's not just as good as he has been, but that he could see a significant boost in production rates with the leafs than he did with the Isles.

So please, everyone, make your best case that he will do just that.

He has never played with a winger as skilled as Mitch Marner.

He is no longer going to get the opposing team's best checkers/defenders on a minute-by-minute basis.

He is back home.

[case closed]

I don’t think we’ll see a spike in points but if he clicks with Marner he’ll hit 35-40 goals.

To Tavares he’s also a guy who pretty clearly elevates the play of those around him. Bailey has 56 and 71 points on his wing wit a previous career high of undrr 40, and Anders Lee has 74 goals over the past two years.

Jt will see a bit less pp time but his es time should be steady and his pp time with a better unit (I’m guessing he slots in to jvrs spot)

I’m excited to see what he can do with Marner because for the first time in his career - and really since that year in jr when he scored 70 - he can play off the puck like the natural scorer that he is.

He really changed his style of play to become more of a distributor - ie a more traditional centre game. But with Marner that isn’t necessary.

Just think about how kadri went off after Marner joined his line.

I disagree with the premise. Besides, in general people expecting UFA players level of play to improve because of a contract are always disappointed. We will be perfectly fine with Tavares being what he has always been. The great hope was simply adding him.

As an aside, an interested look at how comparing raw scoring rates can be misleading (warning heavy on the math): https://hockey-graphs.com/2018/06/21/comparing-scoring-talent-with-empirical-bayes/

Last edited:
Back