• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Tank Nation Thread

The fans will show up winning or losing to see Hughes and JK develop over watching this shit show .
Maybe if they draft Lafreniere in a couple of years, they can sell the local flavor for a season, otherwise not a chance, just like no one showed up for WJC, no one cares, ones that do, either don’t live in the vicinity or can’t afford the big boy seats.

Mtl is not and will never be a sports town. They’ll pack the bandwagon, when the going gets good, but that’s it:

Last edited:
Keep in mind not one local person stepped up to buy the team in 2000...not one. I’m going to pull out the popcorn and wait for the consortium infighting to begin. Jr has ****ed it up.

That consortium has some serious coin in BCE, Woodbridge , Andlauer , etc...

But we would take that now, wouldn’t we? With another GM? This team has been brutally mismanaged by a cabal of incompetent morons.

It's been brutally mismanaged since 1995 (I give 2-Cups-Serge a pass).

How we managed to piss away a draft like 2007 is just incredible.

I think his original plan was to slowly develop based on drafted but it all went sideways with the quick success the team has achieved, 2 division titles and a conference finals appearance in the first 3 years didn't help the development of the team as it incurred bad draft positions and loss of picks in attempt to bolster the team for the playoffs, and it falsely gave the impressions that we were one or two pieces away, while at the same time our assets were depreciating.

Bergevin got fooled into believing his team was better than it was and then reality kicked in.

Exactly. If you remember, the lockout helped Chuckie make the team. Him and Gallagher (who also benefitted from more seasoning) provided an instant jolt that separated us from the league's cellar dwellers.

As for being one or two pieces away, while true, those pieces were franchise center and impact power forward, not shot blocking d-man and defensive centre.

You would take Geeman's eye test over what scouts have said/wrote?

never seen him play , just reading and some youtube

All I am saying is , no one had him as an elite talent .

Solid 200 foot player with 2C upside is what is the consensus is

In a C starved league if he had elite skills with his 6`2 , 200 pound frame he doesnt go 25 in any draft

In a C starved league if he had elite skills with his 6`2 , 200 pound frame he doesnt go 25 in any draft

I agree with you. I am saying we can learn a lot from hearing professionals opinions on players. They are obviously not always right (especially when projecting into the future) but I trust them more than some random fan watching the odd game a player plays.

As for draft position....sometimes that happens.

Per “expert opinions”....

Bobby Mac said draft night on NBC after the Kotaniemi pick, scouts he surveyed said “guaranteed 2C” (vs 2C upside) with upwards of Barkov/Kopitar type 1C.

Should note no one classified at 2005 draft Kopitar was an elite talent, just sayin...

Last edited:
Maybe if they draft Lafreniere in a couple of years, they can sell the local flavor for a season, otherwise not a chance, just like no one showed up for WJC, no one cares, ones that do, either don’t live in the vicinity or can’t afford the big boy seats.

Mtl is not and will never be a sports town. They’ll pack the bandwagon, when the going gets good, but that’s it:

I disagree.

Fans in Montreal might vanish while the current roster plays shit hockey, but they will come back (if they even leave) once RP, JK and next years high draft pick are on the team. At that point you can also look at signing free agents again as well.

Last edited:

Dude, he was under aged and playing a team he should not have been. That is the only reason we got him that low.

Back