• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Plekanec traded to Maple Leafs

Some memories:

With_Pleks.gif

Bobby Macs take:

Bob McKenzie

Quick take on MTL-TOR trade: Nice return for MTL on a rental depth C and good pick up by TOR because Plekanec is more than a fourth-line centre who can do many things that might please the head coach. Plekanec can PK, play up and down the lineup.

The second-round pick is a solid rental return but the key piece may be 22-year-old Rinat Valiev, who is knocking on the door to be an NHL regular on defence. A likely third-pairing, reliable two-way defenceman, Valiev was jammed up in TOR with Dermott, Carrick, Borgman, Polak...

It remains to be seen if Kerby Rychel, now 23 and on his third NHL organization, can break through to be an NHL regular but he can play a gritty, energy fourth-line game and at worst is a bubble guy/call-up option. Had no real future in TOR

Now you're just being mean.

And this is from a fan that doesn't mind Plekanec.

You realize, Pleks had no formal say in the trade.... Bergevin could have told him he was going to Winnipeg 5 mins before he made it public. Maybe Bergevin was nice for a self serving reason, maybe not.

Bobby Macs take:

Thats the thing, the Leafs had no problem finding other players who could pass Valiev on the depth chart. Valiev could possibly help the Habs for a year or two, but the prospects should replace him after that.

You realize, Pleks had no formal say in the trade.... Bergevin could have told him he was going to Winnipeg 5 mins before he made it public. Maybe Bergevin was nice for a self serving reason, maybe not.

I realize yes. I'd have taken the first. This does appear to be a favor to plekanec and one that might expect reciprocation in the summer. Terrible.

How bad is Winnipeg that you don't want it to be your home base for a couple of months? You're travelling for a big chunk of that time.

Engels said the Winnipeg offer was similar, hopefully that's the case. I would like to believe if the Winnipeg offer was obviously superior , MB would have said too bad to Pleks. It's only ~3 months to suck it up in the Peg? Come on...ridiculous.

They better not offer him more than a couple of million if that is the plan.

On another note, how many natural centers of worth do the Habs have now? Danault?

Back