• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

My favorite memory is a playoff game, don't know which one where a player from the other team was going 1-0 against our goalie and Stillman came up behind him, lifted his stick turned and threw a pass to Cole, I think and the canes scored to win.

Kevin Weekes vs. The Devils, 2 on 0 OT 2002. I will never forget that save. Considering the circumstances that was the best save I've ever seen in person.

JB's three are unforgettable, and are definite top 3 for the Canes years.

08-09 was pretty magical, too. FINALLY beating the Bruins in the playoffs... a little payback felt good. "Scott Walker has broken Boston's heart..." Plus Jussi Jokinen.

Kevin Weekes vs. The Devils, 2 on 0 OT 2002. I will never forget that save. Considering the circumstances that was the best save I've ever seen in person.

Every time I hear Forslund call that save, I'm surprised he didn't fall out of the booth.

I was looking for video of Brindy's goal in 2001. I didn't find it but I found this...the top 15 Hurricanes playoff moments.

[video]https://youtu.be/9LTU5cCc-L4[/video]

When I first became a fan, I was so actively engaged in hockey. I knew what sticks the players used and their skate preferences. I also remember how loudly Seidenberg's skates were because he used those German blades that could be replaced. Now, I really don't have that level of involvement. In fact, there was time I could tell who was who based on the skating style and how they carried the puck up the ice. With so many newbies and young players, I find myself really having to look at the numbers and trying to tell the difference from Derek Ryan and McGuinn, Dahlbeck from Tennyson, Stempniak from Stahlberg. There have been so many changes and the guys have such learning curves, the connection has been tough with the current iteration of the team.

I miss the days of Brind'Amour, Francis, O'Neil, Cole and Staal. I could tell Justin Williams from Ray Whitney, Vrbata from Bayda and Vasicek from Adams. Williams was so patient with the puck. Whitney never wanted to really be in heavy traffic, but would if he had to and could get into position to snipe. Sean Hill would be so physical and get himself out of position to make a hit. Wallin was just so steady on the back end. Bret Hedican could skate beautifully-- always wished he had the hands to match. The goaltending experiments of JR were awful-- Jamie Storr, Patrick Desrochers, Trevor Kidd and John Grahame.

Last edited:
When I first became a fan, I was so actively engaged in hockey. I knew what sticks the players used and their skate preferences. I also remember how loudly Seidenberg's skates were because he used those German blades that could be replaced.

I remember when I could do that ... for the '79 Islanders. It would probably come back to me if I watched a couple of tapes. All that knowledge taking up brain space that would really come in handy these days.

The goaltending experiments of JR were awful-- Jamie Storr, Patrick Desrochers, Trevor Kidd and John Grahame.

Trevor Kidd has a 2.17 GAA and .922 Save % in 47 games in his first year with the Canes. We'd kill for those numbers now.

Bob McKenzie was dead on about O'Neill's work ethic sometimes disappearing. That carried onto his pro career.

Bob McKenzie was dead on about O'Neill's work ethic sometimes disappearing. That carried onto his pro career.

The best is just his face while he's getting heaped on. Too bad Jeffy ain't involved with the Canes. But I understand the reasons why etc.. family and where he hails from etc.. and not to knock Raleigh, but for his job - he's better off in TO/TSN

The best is just his face while he's getting heaped on. Too bad Jeffy ain't involved with the Canes. But I understand the reasons why etc.. family and where he hails from etc.. and not to knock Raleigh, but for his job - he's better off in TO/TSN

There was a massive Twitter battle yesterday between the 2 of them.

My first exposure to him as a broadcaster was a radio color commentator for the 2014 Draft. He was very good, well informed and prepared, even for the kids not coming from the OHL, you could tell he had spent a good bit of time on it.

O'Neill's work ethic clearly could have been better, that said he is still one of my all-time favorites as a Hurricane. He had a good sense of humor and some skill when the team lacked overall skill on the roster.

Speaking of O'Neill, I remember when this happened but it is a pretty funny recap from a players perspective. Glad to see he ended up being ok. The Canes overall production value has improved because the early days were scary at times from both a marketing and safety point of view!

Stormy's pre-season debut - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bSpzL9GD-A

I am sure a lot of players were like "what the heck....a pig???"

O'Neill's work ethic clearly could have been better, that said he is still one of my all-time favorites as a Hurricane. He had a good sense of humor and some skill when the team lacked overall skill on the roster.

Speaking of O'Neill, I remember when this happened but it is a pretty funny recap from a players perspective. Glad to see he ended up being ok. The Canes overall production value has improved because the early days were scary at times from both a marketing and safety point of view!

Stormy's pre-season debut - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bSpzL9GD-A

I am sure a lot of players were like "what the heck....a pig???"

LOL

Here's O'Neill and the gang making fun of Lindy Ruffs cough during an interview. Very funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtII_y9Mc9k

Speaking of nostalgia, an account called Hartford Whalers (@whalerwatch) tweeted out earlier today that Rebecca Lobo is playing in Travelers Championship Pro-Am with Ben Bishop and Retief Goosen. She said she'd teach them the Brass Bonanza.

Back