• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

DEADLINE 2017

Snow had orders he couldn't take salary back. No team wanting Vanek had cap space, MB had maneuvered to make sure he had the advantage of cap space at deadline.

Vanek was a pure rental for any team as the whole league knew he wanted to go to Minny.

Many pundits/analysts were saying that GMs were skeptical of Vanek because he tends to disappear when it maters and boy were they right....MB didn't even try to persuade him to stay after that playoff.

I doubt the interest was that significant which is why he went for a bargain as you pointed out

Except for a few teams, the margin between contenders is razor thin. Postively tweaking the top 6 should be welcome.

It'll be hard for him to add top six talent now...the time to do that is the off season.

I still believe he'll end up getting more depth players.

We gotta hope AG picks up his game big time

Logically analyzing, Plekanec yields negative output for this team, doesn't score, avg face off capability at best & his PK performance is horrendous thus negative goals per game performance. Hanzal for Plekanec swap in the lineup is takes that negative performance to even or positive - a 1-2 goal positive performance per game changes the entire outcome of the last 40-games.
When push comes to shove on March 1st, Hanzal won't cost more that a 1st rounder (in terrible draft cuvée) and perhaps a Collberg type prospect should there be a bidding war.

As I said a month ago, I expect the Habs lead in division will close and perhaps even have someone surpass them in the standings, but post deadline I expect the Habs to run away with the division - as they did post Vanek deal in 2014.

I'm with you. I think above all we need to replace Plekanec with an upgrade. Hanzal would do this at this point, and that might be enough to change the balance of the team. Right now Plekanec is a huge blackhole that sucks any offense from any line he's on.

Vanek was a pure rental for any team as the whole league knew he wanted to go to Minny.

Many pundits/analysts were saying that GMs were skeptical of Vanek because he tends to disappear when it maters and boy were they right....MB didn't even try to persuade him to stay after that playoff.

I doubt the interest was that significant which is why he went for a bargain as you pointed out
If u recall the Isles acquired him the Dec prior to the deadline for Moulson + 1st + 2nd. The Kings, Hawks and Wings were rumored pressing hard but couldn't find a way without Isles taking back $.

I'm with you. I think above all we need to replace Plekanec with an upgrade. Hanzal would do this at this point, and that might be enough to change the balance of the team. Right now Plekanec is a huge blackhole that sucks any offense from any line he's on.

Him along with Mitchell bring nothing to the table.

Mitchel doesn't even kill penalties well or play well defensively and is definitely not hard to play against as he spends quite a bit of time picking himself off the ice.

If u recall the Isles acquired him the Dec prior to the deadline for Moulson + 1st + 2nd. The Kings, Hawks and Wings were rumored pressing hard but couldn't find a way without Isles taking back $.

Ok, I'll go along.

But what are we debating here? Vanek is not a good playoff performer and he played one amazing game vs Boston and than went MIA when we needed him most vs the Rangers.

He was also horrendous for Minny in the playoffs.

Him along with Mitchell bring nothing to the table.

Mitchel doesn't even kill penalties well or play well defensively and is definitely not hard to play against as he spends quite a bit of time picking himself off the ice.

I don't mind Mitchell but he's a 4th liner making 1/4th of what Plekanec is making. Plekanec is a top 9 center who's expected to produce offensively.

Ok, I'll go along.

But what are we debating here? Vanek is not a good playoff performer and he played one amazing game vs Boston and than went MIA when we needed him most vs the Rangers.

Vanek was the best available offense capable forward at 2014 deadline, and he did help the Habs not sure they win over Bruins without Vanek - let lone win division during the final stretch of regular season. Thus MB has been able to get sought after talent at the deadline without sacrificing or mortgaging the future.

Think it'd be wise to wait till 5pm March 1st, see what MBs able to accomplish, before passing judgement.

Thank you for proving my point because the only legit top six talent there is Radulov and Vanek who eventually finished the playoffs on a 3rd/4rth line.

MB has few results when it comes to bringing in legit top six talent.
Ryder scored a bunch of goals and was a legit top 6 during his time here. So was vanek.

Ok, I'll go along.

No one is disputing what happened AFTER Bergevin acquired him but to say that Vanek wasn't all that coveted prior to his acquisition is patently and demonstrably false. Vanek was far and away the most sought-after commodity heading into the trade deadline that year. All the pundits were lauding Bergevin for pulling off the major coup of not just getting the most sought-after deadline day commodity but for getting him so cheaply.

This time around Vanek will be one of the least sought-after deadline day commodities but that's a whole other story.

Vanek was the best available offense capable forward at 2014 deadline, and he did help the Habs not sure they win over Bruins without Vanek - let lone win division during the final stretch of regular season. Thus MB has been able to get sought after talent at the deadline without sacrificing or mortgaging the future.

Think it'd be wise to wait till 5pm March 1st, see what MBs able to accomplish, before passing judgement.

At this point it's best to stand pat or sell off vets. MB needs to put the organization ahead of himself here. This team has has been trending down for 4 months now. But he did well with the Julien hire and that sets us up nicely down the road.

Now is obviously not the time to go all in. I don't care about the Weber/Subban trade. That ship has sailed and sunk. We don't need to continue this fake window anymore. Build for the future.

The Flames have acquired Michael Stone from the Coyotes for a 2017 third-round pick and a 2018 conditional fifth-round pick.

The Coyotes retained 50% of Stone's salary.

The Flames have acquired Michael Stone from the Coyotes for a 2017 third-round pick and a 2018 conditional fifth-round pick.

The Coyotes retained 50% of Stone's salary.
I take it that sets the market for UFA Dman...didn't cost Cgy much - especially with AZ retaining $

Bob McKenzie:
Michael Stone trade call has been completed. Now official. ARI continues to work on other deals, possibly more to come, perhaps today.

Back