• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2019 Offseason

Re: Habs News & Notes: 2017-18 Regular Season

Bergevin's problem is that he seems to put more energy and time in dishing out contracts to bottom player like Alzner-Shaw, rather than his top guys...

He nickel and dimes Subban (before allegedly Molson steps-in), but he throws draft picks and money at Shaw without hesitation? Go figure....

Hey, even Prust got 4 years....4 years for Prust !!!! He was done by year #2....because in the new NHL, these type of players don't last...but we all know Bergy is stuck in the 90's still

I didn't mind Prust, we needed a guy like this and he gave us 2 good years and a decent 3rd one. It's understood that you have to overpay for UFAs, especially if you're Montreal. The problem is not being willing to overpay a bit for talents like Radulov or Markov.

I didn't mind Prust, we needed a guy like this and he gave us 2 good years and a decent 3rd one. It's understood that you have to overpay for UFAs, especially if you're Montreal. The problem is not being willing to overpay a bit for talents like Radulov or Markov.

I think he acknowledged in his presser he ****ed that up.

He said his intention was not to start the season with 8 million in cap space, that money was earmarked for some players that decided to go elsewhere.

That's what I mean when I say a good GM also knows when and how to close a deal and not just try.

He couls say all he wants that Radulov had the same offer but chose to go to Dallas...fact is that he had an advantage to negotiate with him as of the 2nd half of last year but didn't get it done.

Habs News & Notes: 2017-18 Regular Season

Bergevin's problem is that he seems to put more energy and time in dishing out contracts to bottom player like Alzner-Shaw, rather than his top guys...

He nickel and dimes Subban (before allegedly Molson steps-in), but he throws draft picks and money at Shaw without hesitation? Go figure....

Hey, even Prust got 4 years....4 years for Prust !!!! He was done by year #2....because in the new NHL, these type of players don't last...but we all know Bergy is stuck in the 90's still
Let’s be honest except for Subban all other contracts were non issues - including exceptional deals to Max & Price on their 2nd contracts. Who else did MB nickel & dime - why is Subban immune from criticism for that negotiation? Also in no way does Subban get dealt without ownership buy in, no GM holds that much power.

It only seems MB puts more energy on Alzner/Shaw types because they’re the only ones who agree to sign/agree to be trad d to Mtl from outside.

Should ask your friend JB to provide some insight into last summers Habs jumping through hoops to try and lure Jumbo Joe and Bonino - been told its become common knowledge around the league & other NHL orgs are in awe of how the Habs had it all planned...to no avail of course.

And no I’m not trying to make MB look good, amateur drafting & development sucks which is why this team is lackluster & that’s all on MB....

Last edited:

I think he acknowledged in his presser he ****ed that up.

He said his intention was not to start the season with 8 million in cap space, that money was earmarked for some players that decided to go elsewhere.

That's what I mean when I say a good GM also knows when and how to close a deal and not just try.

He couls say all he wants that Radulov had the same offer but chose to go to Dallas...fact is that he had an advantage to negotiate with him as of the 2nd half of last year but didn't get it done.
From Radulov's own account, he didn't want to negotiate during the season. MB did try to start talk as early as possible.

Unfortunately there wasn't an available francophone centre on the market but there was an available francophone winger. In the end, it all comes back to that. If Drouin was a winger named "McDonald" MB probably doesn't bother trading Sergachev for him. But the attraction of a flashy "p'tit gars de chez nous" was too much for MB to resist. A franchise concerned only with winning rather than optics wouldn't have felt such pressure.

And you know that certain factions of the media would have crucified MB had he failed to get Drouin when he became available.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

You are probably right but this team has had records low french players for more than a decade and we have done shit during that time. Logic says we should bring more french player because this franchise was striving when we had more. These french players don't go and hide in another country when the season ends and have to deal with the people's judgement during the off season. They would have the motivation to play better.

It doesn't mean though that Bergevin needs to trade everyone for french player. The habs big mistake is at the draft. Countless time no bodies anglophone were picks and accounting for jack shit while french players were available and turned out to be a lot better. I know it's not an exact science and you can screw up on french players also, but with the proximity, there should not be another team in the NHL that should be able to do a better job than us scounting french players. When I see other teams drafting more french players who end up all being better than the crap we draft for, it makes me mad.

From Radulov's own account, he didn't want to negotiate during the season. MB did try to start talk as early as possible.
Fact that Radulov couldn’t muster more than the identical offer Habs offered to sign with Dallas tells u all u need to know - he was in it strictly for $ which is his god given right in life.

I would never have offered one more year to either Radulov or Markov. The mistake was turning around and knee jerking a signing of Alzner.

Carey Price to all star game. One more time it shows this whole all star game is just a joke. lol

You are probably right but this team has had records low french players for more than a decade and we have done shit during that time. Logic says we should bring more french player because this franchise was striving when we had more. These french players don't go and hide in another country when the season ends and have to deal with the people's judgement during the off season. They would have the motivation to play better.

It doesn't mean though that Bergevin needs to trade everyone for french player. The habs big mistake is at the draft. Countless time no bodies anglophone were picks and accounting for jack shit while french players were available and turned out to be a lot better. I know it's not an exact science and you can screw up on french players also, but with the proximity, there should not be another team in the NHL that should be able to do a better job than us scounting french players. When I see other teams drafting more french players who end up all being better than the crap we draft for, it makes me mad.

Thats true, the Habs should know their backyard better than anyone else, yet they only excel in giving undrafted Quebec players a shot.

Carey Price to all star game. One more time it shows this whole all star game is just a joke. lol

No it means the rest of the team sucks, Even Gallagher is no where near the top of the scoring table.

You are probably right but this team has had records low skill players for more than a decade and we have done shit during that time. Logic says we should bring more skill player because this franchise was striving when we had more. These Dubois players don't go and hide in another country when the season ends and have to deal with the people's judgement during the off season. They would have the motivation to play better.

It doesn't mean though that Bergevin needs to trade everyone for skill player. The habs big mistake is at the draft. Countless time no bodies anglophone were picks and accounting for jack shit while skill players were available and turned out to be a lot better. I know it's not an exact science and you can screw up on skill players also, but with the proximity, there should not be another team in the NHL that should be able to do a better job than us scounting skill players. When I see other teams drafting more skill players who end up all being better than the crap we draft for, it makes me mad.

fixed that for you

the habs were not a dynasty in the 70s because they had french players
they were a dynasty because of skill players

Let’s be honest except for Subban all other contracts were non issues - including exceptional deals to Max & Price on their 2nd contracts. Who else did MB nickel & dime - why is Subban immune from criticism for that negotiation? Also in no way does Subban get dealt without ownership buy in, no GM holds that much power.

It only seems MB puts more energy on Alzner/Shaw types because they’re the only ones who agree to sign/agree to be trad d to Mtl from outside.

Should ask your friend JB to provide some insight into last summers Habs jumping through hoops to try and lure Jumbo Joe and Bonino - been told its become common knowledge around the league & other NHL orgs are in awe of how the Habs had it all planned...to no avail of course.

And no I’m not trying to make MB look good, amateur drafting & development sucks which is why this team is lackluster & that’s all on MB....

Can someone explain to Nero WTF was the point of signing Joe and Nick .Desperate for centers is one thing but a near 40 year old and a near 30 year old Dano type for this team is pointless and dumb.

We need long term young building blocks not these vets on a team going nowhere .

Can someone explain to Nero WTF was the point of signing Joe and Nick .Desperate for centers is one thing but a near 40 year old and a near 30 year old Dano type for this team is pointless and dumb.

We need long term young building blocks not these vets on a team going nowhere .

I wouldn't mind Bonino to replace Plekanec. Even a Danault,Bonino,Plekanec line would be an improvement, allowing us to use Drouin on the wing where he should be. It's not a first line center but it's an improvement.

fixed that for you

the habs were not a dynasty in the 70s because they had french players
they were a dynasty because of skill players

And in the 70's there was no french coach requirement or french GM requirement either. Winning was the only requirement.

If he thinks trades are hard, then why not emphasize on developing properly our youth ? Like why you still have your best friend Sly running the show in AHL ?

Why do you hire old-mentality dinosaur coaches like Therrien and Julien ?

I used to think Gainey had a nice country club set-up here with his friends.....Bergy just re-defined the term country club...

He should have had a better Plan B than Alzner and Hemsky. You think he'd have learned by now not to count on being able to attract top tier free agents. And like you say, if trades are hard then you need to do a better job with drafting and developing AND you can't be looking to trade draft picks and prospects as soon as you get them. But you can't pretend to care about drafting and development if you refuse to fire idiots like Lefebvre and Timmins because they're personal friends of yours.

And if you must hire only francophone coaches then develop some instead of hiring hacks like Therrien.

I wouldn't mind Bonino to replace Plekanec. Even a Danault,Bonino,Plekanec line would be an improvement, allowing us to use Drouin on the wing where he should be. It's not a first line center but it's an improvement.

Bonino and Dano is still a hot mess

No it means the rest of the team sucks, Even Gallagher is no where near the top of the scoring table.

He also sucked like the rest of the team, if it wasn't for this rule of each team will have a representative, he probably wasn't there, no one from Habs wasn't going to be there. I actually believe Gallagher deserved more than him.

Last edited:

I’m sure Bergy tried hard to petition for Alzner to be the Habs representative

He also sucked like the rest of the team, if it wasn't for this rule of each team will have a representative, he probably wasn't there, no one from Habs wasn't going to be there. I actually believe Gallagher deserved more than him.

We would be lucky to have a representative in the AHL all star game this year.

We would be lucky to have a representative in the AHL all star game this year.

na , Terry and Taormina are pretty much dominate in the AHL. But unfortunately they are not NHL prospects anymore.

Back