• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Bettman screws the fans for unprincipled reason

Americans don't care unless USA is playing and even then they still don't really care. Only hockey fans truly care and they still prefer to watch their own team instead. They made a poll and 73% of Americans were against taking the 2 weeks break for the Olympics.

They've done it, they've studied it, they don't feel it really benefit the league, the impact is negligible at best and negative at worst. I don't think they got many new hockey fans just because they watched one or two games in 4 years and then decided to start following hockey.

Where's this poll from? Definitely surprised by those results. The reaction from fans seems pretty negative.

Americans don't care unless USA is playing and even then they still don't really care. Only hockey fans truly care and they still prefer to watch their own team instead. They made a poll and 73% of Americans were against taking the 2 weeks break for the Olympics.

They've done it, they've studied it, they don't feel it really benefit the league, the impact is negligible at best and negative at worst. I don't think they got many new hockey fans just because they watched one or two games in 4 years and then decided to start following hockey.

that may be true but once you give the fans something, when you take it away, you look like an douche

Bettman is being his duplicitous rat self again. How can anyone say one Olympics in Asia is not good for the NHL due to scheduling, travel, time of games etc from one side of his mouth, then from the other say, ah but Beijing in 2022 is great for the NHL.

Where's this poll from? Definitely surprised by those results. The reaction from fans seems pretty negative.

He polled one county in a state without a team ;)

all kidding aside, of course Americans don't care, they haven't one Gold since the pros took over and if anything, they have been a major disappointment. Anyone who knew hockey knew that would happen, the Americans have only ever won once when the best on best played each other, 1996 in Montreal and needed two Canadian transplants to do so.

The NHL could have used this as a showcase event for Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews, Jack Eichel, Patrik Laine, and others who have never played in the Olympics yet. Exposing them to a ton of casual fans. Instead it can't see the forrest for the trees.

And the ratings for Olympic Hockey are on a magnitude of 4-5x higher than any game (exception winter classic) that the NHL puts out there, including playoff games. I know which number I would care about.

And the ratings for Olympic Hockey are on a magnitude of 4-5x higher than any game (exception winter classic) that the NHL puts out there, including playoff games. I know which number I would care about.

Exactly , like people would rather watch game 986 between the Coyotes and the Stars in Buttman's watered down NHL?

Exactly , like people would rather watch game 986 between the Coyotes and the Stars in Buttman's watered down NHL?
Yup and the owners miss the fact that that game will also still happen. The nhl runs 82 games. Olympics or not.

They are business men, if it was good business to go, they would go. The owners have nothing to gain with it.

People want to see them go...I don't know too many fans that are happy with this

And as for NHLers..I have heard some really upset players make comments including the players association.

At times good business is appeasing your fans and your players.

Its pure selfishness by owners and the NHL

They are business men, if it was good business to go, they would go. The owners have nothing to gain with it.

What exactly are the owners losing?

This isn't happening beause they aren't gaining anything fine but they aren't losing anything either

What exactly are the owners losing?

This isn't happening beause they aren't gaining anything fine but they aren't losing anything either

Risk of injuries is one thing, which can leads to less playoff revenues.

The 3 weeks break can be disruptive to the normal flow of operation, which is some extra logistics to work around, potentially some extra cost as well.

But mostly is that there is very little incentives for them. I also understand them to not be fond of the timing, which is right between the end of the football season and the beginning of the baseball season.

The NHL wants to control best on best tournament, like FIFA. So be it.

But they have to cut out this team NA and team rest of Europe crap. If a country is crap, then they're crap. Let the try to improve.

The NHL wants to go to Beijing, don't kid yourself. They want to be in China. Massive market.

The IOC should say, **** you... you don't go to Korea, we don't need you in China either.

The NHL wants to go to Beijing, don't kid yourself. They want to be in China. Massive market.

The IOC should say, **** you... you don't go to Korea, we don't need you in China either.

yep , that was my argument. Anyway, I'm hearing this isnt over yet, there could be some last minute concessions by the IOC and they will end up going to Korea.

yep , that was my argument. Anyway, I'm hearing this isnt over yet, there could be some last minute concessions by the IOC and they will end up going to Korea.

Nah, this has been over ever since the world cup of hockey wasn't a complete flop.

Bettman and the owners can make money fleecing the Toronto market with this world cup of stupid instead of making nothing for going to the olympics.

The only thing left to find out is how many players give Bettman the finger and go anyways.

Risk of injuries is one thing, which can leads to less playoff revenues.

The 3 weeks break can be disruptive to the normal flow of operation, which is some extra logistics to work around, potentially some extra cost as well.

But mostly is that there is very little incentives for them. I also understand them to not be fond of the timing, which is right between the end of the football season and the beginning of the baseball season.

There's a much higher risk of injury at the World Cup due to the fact players are not even close to mid season form and wasn't there several player that hit a wall in December from some fatigue.

Also the schedule becomes just as bad for the NHL following the World Cup.

So these petty excuses are BS because they all apply to the World Cup which is Bettmans baby

I'm actually looking forward to seeing a collection of not quite ready for prime time CDN players compete for Olympic Gold.

they did say that

There's a much higher risk of injury at the World Cup due to the fact players are not even close to mid season form and wasn't there several player that hit a wall in December from some fatigue.

Also the schedule becomes just as bad for the NHL following the World Cup.

So these petty excuses are BS because they all apply to the World Cup which is Bettmans baby
There is a big difference between having a tournament during training camp and having one in the middle of February, especially for the impact of an injury. Most of the serious injuries in February are pretty much season.ending.

Anyway my point is more against the accusations that they're shortsighted and can't see the value in this great opportunity. I think they are fully aware by now of the pros and cons.

You can't have NHL players in games that will take place in the middle of the night like in South Korea, but they're fine with games in the middle of the night in China. A grand total of one hour difference.

Back