• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2019 Offseason

Re: Habs News & Notes: 2016-17 Season

Players you built a team around. So for this team, I would have Price, Weber, Markov, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk. Granted, this team doesn't see Galchenyuk as one considering how they've consistently misused him over the years and I think he's all but gone this off season.

PLayers like Petry/Radulov are nice complimentary players, but if they're the ones you build your teams around, you're in deep shit.

I agree Radu and Petry are good support pieces and note core but no way 11 is a core player on a cup team , solid secondary support player, no more .

What is really noticeable again to anyone who has followed this team. Is the then absence of secondary scoring. 65-24-62 would be a great 3rd line. What's the chance MB gets fired this offseason? I say zero no matter what happens

Markov is a core player by necessaity. He's a player we've been looking to replace as the top pairing d-man for 3 years now. In an ideal world, he wouldn't be, but...

I don't consider Petry or Shaw core players, even if their contracts are long & expensive. They're both complimentary players. The same way I wouldn't consider Niklas Hjalmarsson a core player on Chicago.

For me, to be considered a "core" players, you have to be one of the key players on the team. If those players have a bad year or they get injured longterm, the team will be noticeable worst. Imagine this team without one of MaxPac/Price/Weber for a month or two. They're screwed. Heck, lose Galchenyuk/Gallagher/Markov for a while and this team will be noticeable worse. Gallagher & Galchenyuk having bad years due to injuries has hampered the team severely. Petry being injured would hurt this team, but not as much as the other players. As for Shaw, would most people even notice? He's a 30 point player who takes dumb penalties.

I agree with you but my point is that the team have decided to make them core pieces.

And ironically, we were doing fine this year without Gallagher and Galchenyuk, we started to struggle when they came back.

What is really noticeable again to anyone who has followed this team. Is the then absence of secondary scoring. 65-24-62 would be a great 3rd line. What's the chance MB gets fired this offseason? I say zero no matter what happens

Disagree our secondary players have been fine in the playoffs , its the leaders who have let us down big time. Even in the regular season cant complain what the above and Byron have done for us .

That's a lot of nothing in that article. It's basically what any Habs fan with a brain already knew.

It is more of the same from the team.We are diminishing the value of an asset prior to trading them. Galchenyuk is far from perfect. Rather than play him to his strength, we will try and mold him into something he is not. He will move on be a 25 goal guy on another team.

If Bergevin has the balls to move him in a package to take advantage of our closing window I will be fine with it. I dread a trade for another character no hands third liner because we are dealing from a position of weakness once again.

It is more of the same from the team.We are diminishing the value of an asset prior to trading them. Galchenyuk is far from perfect. Rather than play him to his strength, we will try and mold him into something he is not. He will move on be a 25 goal guy on another team.

If Bergevin has the balls to move him in a package to take advantage of our closing window I will be fine with it. I dread a trade for another character no hands third liner because we are dealing from a position of weakness once again.

He is an RFA why would a team give up valuable assets when you can put in a reasonable offer sheet and give up some lower picks if you are a good team . I think his asking price goes down and he settles with us in the 5 mil range .

He is an RFA why would a team give up valuable assets when you can put in a reasonable offer sheet and give up some lower picks if you are a good team . I think his asking price goes down and he settles with us in the 5 mil range .
Offer sheets are used so rarely we need not worry about that happening

A cheap.offer sheet with poor draft pick compensation is also an easy decision to match

A cheap.offer sheet with poor draft pick compensation is also an easy decision to match

But even a sizable offer in the 6-7M range would only net a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, hardly a satisfying return for a guy like Galchenyuk and probably an higher salary than we would like to give him.

But even a sizable offer in the 6-7M range would only net a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, hardly a satisfying return for a guy like Galchenyuk and probably an higher salary than we would like to give him.
You match and keep him a year and then trade him.

thats why I am referring to , a team like St. Louis with a 20th pick wouldnt hurt their depth at all .

thats why I am referring to , a team like St. Louis with a 20th pick wouldnt hurt their depth at all .
Sure but if you arent getting a good return... you match. Which is why teams dont do offer sheets.

Why tie up cap space for 7 days when the other team will match

He's not going to win it, but Price is a finalist for the Vezina.

Bobrovsky and Holtby are the others.

Post-Season Thread

Let the Molson-Bergevin bashing start

Rangers in 6 ;)

Last edited:
Back