• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Vacations

Oh yeah, 1 more thing ... buy JR Rail pass before you go to Japan. It gives you access to all JR trains and subways (but only JR subways) ... once you're in Japan you can't buy it.

Work out the math first. Depending on where you go it may be cheaper buying individual tickets. But if you're going from Kyoto to Tokyo it may very well be worth it.. and if you're making a round trip? It's a downright steal.

I spent three weeks in Japan in 2015. My two cents.

I handled Kyoto/Osaka as one destination. 15 mins commute on their high speed train. Days were spent in Kyoto -- great for nature and temples. Back in Osaka for dinner -- great food, vibrant nightlife and more abundant and cheaper accommodation options.

Kyoto lunch at http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g298564-d1173251-Reviews-Yoshikawa_Inn_Tempura-Kyoto_Kyoto_Prefecture_Kinki.html

Get there early at 11 (no resos at the counter). The guy is a tempura master. Constantly adjusting the oil temp so that the batter is never greasy or heavy. Only the freshest ingredients (seafood, veggies, legumes, nuts) get the treatment. He hands you one finished item at a time. Mind blown.

Tokyo is out of this world. You'll discover your own path, and it'll be amazing. I would avoid getting up at 5am to check out the mega hyped tuna auction at the overcrowded fish market . The sushi is great almost everywhere. if you want the ultra fresh affordable sushi breakfast, the fish market Osaka delivers the same taste (sans lineup)

My fave Tokyo hoods were classic Omotesando/Harujuku and

Shimokitazawa -- think of a rundown East Village from the 90s where every store is a vintage shop or a live music venue. There is a crazy coffee joint (with the only rude store owner in Japan) where you can get patented espresso shots. Check his website for hours when he's serving up his precious
http://www.bear-pond.com/

I would spend whatever time left over from Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka down south. Miyajima is a great scenic spot to just chill and refresh for 24-36 hrs

I really loved Kagoshima. Ate like a king for about half of what it costs me in Toronto. Also enjoyed Fukuoka and Kumamoto. Even the food in Tokyo was affordable. For example, at Bistro Jill, I ordered a duck leg stuffed with some Foie for $18 (tax and tip included). In Toronto, I'm paying at least $35 plus tax and tip.

Final thoughts.

Order a mobile wi-fi thingy.
https://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/index.html
I paid $80 for unlimited data. It was waiting for me at my first hotel (and I gave the delivery envelope to my last hotel) You'll never get lost with google maps and you can use tabelog (Japan's yelp) to point at food shots so your waiter can figure out what you want.

As Hoglund said, travel light. I packed a week's worth of clothes in a weekend bag. Got my laundry done at one hotel, did my own laundry at my Kagoshima hotel. Picked up a few emergency tees at Uniglo.

Look into a 2 week rail pass. Those high speed trains make zipping around the country a pleasure.

Last edited:
I spent three weeks in Japan in 2015. My two cents.

I handled Kyoto/Osaka as one destination. 15 mins commute on their high speed train. Days were spent in Kyoto -- great for nature and temples. Back in Osaka for dinner -- great food, vibrant nightlife and more abundant and cheaper accommodation options.

Kyoto lunch at http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g298564-d1173251-Reviews-Yoshikawa_Inn_Tempura-Kyoto_Kyoto_Prefecture_Kinki.html

Get there early at 11 (no resos at the counter). The guy is a tempura master. Constantly adjusting the oil temp so that the batter is never greasy or heavy. Only the freshest ingredients (seafood, veggies, legumes, nuts) get the treatment. He hands you one finished item at a time. Mind blown.

Tokyo is out of this world. You'll discover your own path, and it'll be amazing. I would avoid getting up at 5am to check out the mega hyped tuna auction at the overcrowded fish market . The sushi is great almost everywhere. if you want the ultra fresh affordable sushi breakfast, the fish market Osaka delivers the same taste (sans lineup)

My fave Tokyo hoods were classic Omotesando/Harujuku and

Shimokitazawa -- think of a rundown East Village from the 90s where every store is a vintage shop or a live music venue. There is a crazy coffee joint (with the only rude store owner in Japan) where you can get patented espresso shots. Check his website for hours when he's serving up his precious
http://www.bear-pond.com/

I would spend whatever time left over from Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka down south. Miyajima is a great scenic spot to just chill and refresh for 24-36 hrs

I really loved Kagoshima. Ate like a king for about half of what it costs me in Toronto. Also enjoyed Fukuoka and Kumamoto. Even the food in Tokyo was affordable. For example, at Bistro Jill, I ordered a duck leg stuffed with some Foie for $18 (tax and tip included). In Toronto, I'm paying at least $35 plus tax and tip.

Final thoughts.

Order a mobile wi-fi thingy.
https://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/index.html
I paid $80 for unlimited data. It was waiting for me at my first hotel (and I gave the delivery envelope to my last hotel) You'll never get lost with google maps and you can use tabelog (Japan's yelp) to point at food shots so your waiter can figure out what you want.

As Hoglund said, travel light. I packed a week's worth of clothes in a weekend bag. Got my laundry done at one hotel, did my own laundry at my Kagoshima hotel. Picked up a few emergency tees at Uniglo.

Look into a 2 week rail pass. Those high speed trains make zipping around the country a pleasure.

Agree the Tina auction can be skipped but I thought the shashimi at the market was second to none. Also, the market just outside of the fish market was worth the stroll (and getting refused service at the food stalls for being white).

Also agreed that you’re fine to stay in Kyoto or Osaka and day trip
To the other. If you’re a night person def stay in Osaka, as Kyoto (with a few exceptions) quiets down late night.

Also, got a good hotel reco for Kyoto if you’re staying there. Great location and good value (paid 120 a night for basically a bachelor condo)

Other pro tip— if you are on bell and using roam better, but don’t want it on all the time, the days are based on eastern time ( so when I used the phone at 11am and 1pm japan time on the same day it counted as two days with the bell pirates).

Other pro tip— if you are on bell and using roam better, but don’t want it on all the time, the days are based on eastern time ( so when I used the phone at 11am and 1pm japan time on the same day it counted as two days with the bell pirates).

I got burned that way once with Telus. I bought a European plan but mistakenly put the wrong day down so when I started to use it at 8:30am in Paris, it was only 11:30pm the day before so I was charged $50.00 for 1/2 an hour. They cut it in half which was cool but you can get burned if you don't think of the time.

Now a days, it’s so cheap to get a local unlimited data plan for 3/7 days or a month - basically shut down my Telus plan while travelling around the world.

Now a days, it’s so cheap to get a local unlimited data plan for 3/7 days or a month - basically shut down my Telus plan while travelling around the world.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. I mean, Rogers will charge you like 10$ a day to "roam like home". Or you can buy a local prepaid sim card for like 15 bucks which gives you 10GB of data.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. I mean, Rogers will charge you like 10$ a day to "roam like home". Or you can buy a local prepaid sim card for like 15 bucks which gives you 10GB of data.

True, but when a vacation costs $20,000+ what is another $100.00 or so?

Ya but if you thought that way you wouldn't have a good setup for posting how impressively expensive your vacations are.

Back