• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Strange Pop-Up Related to Site?

LeafOfFaith

Hey All,

So I'm occasionally getting this weird pop-up (I think purportedly from Microsoft) that takes over the Explorer windows and starts talking about loud that I need to do so and so in order to prevent all my files from being damaged. I just got a new computer from Microsoft recently, so when it first happened it jarred me a bit and made me actually question its legitimacy. Obviously it's bullshit though.

But it just popped up again after my last post in the other thread, and I can't help but wonder if it's somehow related to this site.

It basically stops you from doing anything, semi-freezes the computer, unless you close the window as soon as it starts, or go into task manager and close the internet windows.

Is this happening to anyone else? Habsy, any other reports like this?

Yeah, no issues on my end, either at work or phone.

So, based on that and your description of the problem, you've your computer has likely picked up something.

I literally go to a handful of sites - LinkedIn, YouTube, Email, and so on. Like nothing that would even remotely seem to be risky. The only thing that comes close is this site, which is why I asked. It's weird to me that the computer picked up anything in like 3 weeks of use, after they set it up with the latest and greatest, and did all the scans. Very odd thing. My old computer never picked up anything in around 6 years of use.

My Bitdefender anti-virus still flags forumice.com as a problem. Doesn't mind if I enter a subforum directly.

Three things:

1. **** Microbloat, install linux Mint

2. Firefox

3. Noscript add on

Will pretty much eliminate problems with risky websites. All open source with no gouge from the NSA, err, Bill Gates.

I literally go to a handful of sites - LinkedIn, YouTube, Email, and so on. Like nothing that would even remotely seem to be risky. The only thing that comes close is this site, which is why I asked. It's weird to me that the computer picked up anything in like 3 weeks of use, after they set it up with the latest and greatest, and did all the scans. Very odd thing. My old computer never picked up anything in around 6 years of use.

Site's clean.

My virus scanner (AVG) flags something on some thread pages I visit here, but not many... something about bestsmileys.com and URL:Mal or something or other. Get it couple times a week maybe.

Back