• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer Thread

I think it could happen in the long run, but the money is just not there. To be elite, he needs the top flight support structure and the grind of relentless high level competition that money brings to the table. There’s still a wide chasm right now.

Last edited:
I think it could happen in the long run, but the money is just not there. To be elite, he needs the top flight support structure and the grind of relentless high level competition that money brings to the table. There’s still a wide chasm right now.

There is money in the top clubs and their 3 DP spots per team.

Top teams do play elite central American teams

Yes, but it’s a top heavy salary structure that results in thin rosters. At his age, needs to play in a good league with rosters deep in talent. That’s what I meant by “relentless”. The Bundesliga would be best, for now, and there are some good options in France, Portugal and Holland. If he lives up to the hype, he’ll then get his payday in England.

And those only occasional games against Mexican teams aren’t beneficial. It needs to be day in, day out. Practice, reserve games, cup games, league games. A mid table Bundesliga team would be ideal.

Last edited:
He’s seems to be an exciting prospect, but he needs to move to Europe... in fact but it might be too late. He’s 17, development is almost done. I’m a little sceptical.

He needs to move now for the 2018-19 season.

He is probably waiting to turn 18 to sign a pro contract, you can only sign amateurish contract when you are under, plus, many European clubs don't take that risk for players coming from Canada, Owen case was different, he also had European passport, so he was not taking a none-European spot of clubs.

He is probably waiting to turn 18 to sign a pro contract, you can only sign amateurish contract when you are under, plus, many European clubs don't take that risk for players coming from Canada, Owen case was different, he also had European passport, so he was not taking a none-European spot of clubs.

That’s exactly it. He should have gone to an academy a couple of years ago. Hargreaves was quite young when he went to BM.

He turns 18 in November so he’ll split after that. He’s been linked with a lot of clubs.

That's what I've heard. He's setting up for a move after the MLS season. No rush to do it early, since he can play out the year with Vancouver. It's not like he's going to get better experience in the next 5 months or so than playing the rest of the MLS season now that he's in the regular rotation. The best he's going to get in Europe if he moves before he's 18 is academy work. Live match action in a big boy league trumps that pretty hard. And if he continues to impress then he'll up the ante of interested clubs.

And honestly, there's nothing wrong with MLS as a development league so long as you actually get games. I'm frustrated to see a guy like Andrew Carlton wasting time in Atlanta not playing, but if you're a kid actually getting game exposure then things tend to work out.

We will not go far but we are probably the most handsome team :)

4D0AF77A00000578-5820471-The_Iranian_football_team_from_L_R_Sardar_Azmoun_Morteza_Pourali-a-15_1528450255286.jpg

Damn, I drew my office pool today (I organize one every big tournament) and I drew Egypt and Saudi Arabia, two shit teams in the SAME group, groan

I’ll be watching Poland carefully - they have the potential to go quite far or cause a major upset. It is not a one man team...

I’ll be watching Poland carefully - they have the potential to go quite far or cause a major upset. It is not a one man team...

Sure. Poland are a quality side with a World Class striker. Their Group G matches with Group H in the first knockout round so they could well be matched with Belgium or England should they advance out of the group. Neither of those should be particularly terrifying for Poland should they remain healthy. I don't think they'd be favored in either matchup, but it wouldn't surprise all that many people if they beat either of those two.

So, I finally looked at the grid carefully.

Prediction: Spain to win. They will benefit from other major teams being stunned and sent home earlier than expected.

Da phoque?

lol

There goes my Spain prediction!

Geezus.

Edit: they should parachute Zizou in to manage Spain. He could headbutt Deschamps on the sidelines.

Last edited:
Back