• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

We should be all over Stanton. Elite hitter available. We'd have near 100 million tied into Martin, Tulo, Donaldson and Stanton if it were to happen. Not sure how that'd play out with the rest of the roster unless we bump the payroll closer to 200mil.

Don't look now but the Jays are playing pretty well. Another good start from Rowley. A little fortunate early on but he's been pretty good. Mayza looked good. Loup is a gas can though.

No Osuna today. He's out with fever and upset stomach.

I think the Jays are could find it tough going against the surging Cubs.

Last edited:
I know we're grasping at straws here and the I know the Cubs have been pretty mediocre this season, but the Jays need to avoid getting swept in the series.

The Jays offence is simply crap. It's pretty much all Donaldson along with Smoak.

The Jays essentially have no threats whatsoever 6,7,8,9 - and Morales and Pearce are "maybe threats"

The fact that Shatkins let this team roll pretty much the entire season with Goins and Barney is infuriating.

The Jays offence is simply crap. It's pretty much all Donaldson along with Smoak.

The Jays essentially have no threats whatsoever 6,7,8,9 - and Morales and Pearce are "maybe threats"

The fact that Shatkins let this team roll pretty much the entire season with Goins and Barney is infuriating.

We added Refsnyder. But yeah, it's bad enough to have to run out one of those two, now running both is just ugly. Combined with Pillar forgetting how to hit, and it really is an awful bottom of the lineup.

We added Refsnyder. But yeah, it's bad enough to have to run out one of those two, now running both is just ugly. Combined with Pillar forgetting how to hit, and it really is an awful bottom of the lineup.

I know what the Jays do. You don't need to remind me.

They're still running with Goins and Barney nearly all the time. Goins has the 5th most at bats on this team.

Also, Pillar didn't forget to hit. He's never hit well in the majors. OPS is already an outdated stat, but with that said - he has a career OPS of .689 - that's not good.

Shatkins could have made some sort of move at some point. They're letting the team get worse and have shown no desire to help the current group.

Last edited:
It's not just Shatkins.

The argument could be made for at minimum a Zeke/Pillar platoon, with how well Zeke hits RHP this season, if not stealing the job outright.

Gibbons is very loyal to bad players.

MI needs to be addressed though

Travis can't be counted on to stay healthy at this point and Tulo is in a mad decline AND can't stay healthy.

You can live with one of Goins/Refsnyder/Barney but not 2 and sure as **** not 3.

They need a competent backup 2B/SS that can hit and fill in for our injured guys. Hopefully they have that in house with Lourdes Gurriel who sounds like he can play 2B/SS/LF. I'd hope they call him up in September and see how far away he is. If he's close, like Teoscar Hernandez he can perhaps be counted on in 2018, if not you maybe need to look for a Jed Lowrie sort.

Better to characterize Pillar as just having a hot 5-6 weeks to start the year. But Carrera is not the answer in CF. You don't put a below average corner OF in CF. Sure, you could argue that Pillar doesn't deserve to play every day like he does, and maybe we'd be better served if Carrera had more like 20 games in CF than the 7 or 8 that he has now, but Pillar's usage is not a big deal as long as his D remains top tier.

But the loyalty to Barney/Goins is still just weird. Yeah, Goins has somehow been Mr Clutch this year, but players get a lot more AB without runners on than with men in scoring position, and Goins has a wRC+ of 14 with the bases empty, with his wOBA below the Mendoza line. Barney/Goins have more than 550 PA between them, and have a combined wRC+ of about 50. Blue Jays 2B wOBA this year is 29th/30, SS is 27th. And when you combine that with the fact that the OF as a whole is 25th, and Catching we're 30th, that's way too many dead spots in the lineup on a consistent basis.

MI needs to be addressed though

Travis can't be counted on to stay healthy at this point and Tulo is in a mad decline AND can't stay healthy.

You can live with one of Goins/Refsnyder/Barney but not 2 and sure as **** not 3.

They need a competent backup 2B/SS that can hit and fill in for our injured guys. Hopefully they have that in house with Lourdes Gurriel who sounds like he can play 2B/SS/LF. I'd hope they call him up in September and see how far away he is. If he's close, like Teoscar Hernandez he can perhaps be counted on in 2018, if not you maybe need to look for a Jed Lowrie sort.

Gurriel is running a 76 wRC+ at AA, after running a 33 wRC+ at A+ ball earlier. He's not even close to being MLB-ready yet.

To me, after the season, I really think I go to Miami and try to sell them on doing a Gordon for Travis swap. They get a high-upside guy who's cheaply controlled without a guaranteed contract, and we get the more consistent guy who's not overpaid. To me that's a deal that I can see working for both sides, and both fits into the team's timeline and budgets. If not that, then I think about bringing in a guy like Forsythe and hoping he can bounce back, and potentially either dealing Travis in another deal for pitching or OF help, or you give him reps in LF to see if he might fit there. Maybe even going big and trying to bring in a vet like Kinsler or Dozier. Basically, need anyone there who can hit a little and who we have faith can give us more than 200 PA in the season.

Gurriel is running a 76 wRC+ at AA, after running a 33 wRC+ at A+ ball earlier. He's not even close to being MLB-ready yet.

To me, after the season, I really think I go to Miami and try to sell them on doing a Gordon for Travis swap. They get a high-upside guy who's cheaply controlled without a guaranteed contract, and we get the more consistent guy who's not overpaid. To me that's a deal that I can see working for both sides, and both fits into the team's timeline and budgets. If not that, then I think about bringing in a guy like Forsythe and hoping he can bounce back, and potentially either dealing Travis in another deal for pitching or OF help, or you give him reps in LF to see if he might fit there. Maybe even going big and trying to bring in a vet like Kinsler or Dozier. Basically, need anyone there who can hit a little and who we have faith can give us more than 200 PA in the season.

ew.

I better be getting a helluva lot more than Gordon back ( who arguably isn't good, or worth what he's paid) for Travis.

You should be able to get him for nothing

Better to characterize Pillar as just having a hot 5-6 weeks to start the year. But Carrera is not the answer in CF. You don't put a below average corner OF in CF. Sure, you could argue that Pillar doesn't deserve to play every day like he does, and maybe we'd be better served if Carrera had more like 20 games in CF than the 7 or 8 that he has now, but Pillar's usage is not a big deal as long as his D remains top tier.

But the loyalty to Barney/Goins is still just weird. Yeah, Goins has somehow been Mr Clutch this year, but players get a lot more AB without runners on than with men in scoring position, and Goins has a wRC+ of 14 with the bases empty, with his wOBA below the Mendoza line. Barney/Goins have more than 550 PA between them, and have a combined wRC+ of about 50. Blue Jays 2B wOBA this year is 29th/30, SS is 27th. And when you combine that with the fact that the OF as a whole is 25th, and Catching we're 30th, that's way too many dead spots in the lineup on a consistent basis.

Pillar's stick is bad enough that it should warrant a bit more Carrera this year, and a legit look at Alford next year.

That said, he is only a problem because SS, 2B, LF, RF, and DH are all more of less awful sticks for their position.

Hernandez replaces Jose, in theory in the OF next year, it should'nt be hard to match or even exceed that production for league minimum

In a perfect world, you punt Morales into the sun, use Pearce/Zeke or Pearce/LH as the DH and get a LF that can play.

Morales makes things a mess though if he stays, cause while Pearce is a fine stick he is not an OF, and with Smoak breaking out his spot on the team kinda went away.

SS and 2B are issues, maybe.

40% of the rotation is an isue

Yet, i've heard several people claim backup C should be our priority. Yeesh.

This Cubs team is really good. Yes yes... no shit. Top to bottom though it feels like they have no holes in their lineup. A lot of homegrown talent on the team filled in with smart trades. Heyward was their big FA acquisition recently that looks to be underperforming.

Scary thing is they are loaded with young guys that look to be good for a while. I hope we can get to their level in the next few years.

Back