• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Game #37 | Canadiens vs. Hurricanes | Dec 27, 2017 | 7:00

The main reason (other than his contract) that I don't think it's the right time to be calling for Julien's job is because this season was doomed from the start of it.

I was heavily complaining to mostly deaf ears about just how bad the off-season was for the Habs. The team that MB put on the ice this season is drastically worse than the 2016-2017 product.

The Habs went into the year with nearly 9 million in cap space. Unless you're anchored by a superstar upfront you're not supposed to contend with a payroll like that - regardless of how good the goalie is.

MB has built a shitty team that no coach would have success with. Julien has been disappointing, but the team isn't good.

Only the MB apologists thought we might be OK.

We could of been the same suckage with a junior coach not another chosen retread on a 25 million contract.

Also when you stink you shouldn't be anywhere near the cap unless you have cups like previous teams and you were forced to pay to retain talent , even if they become albatrosses in time .

To this point I've been wrong about Julien. I thought it was a great signing and that he was a really good coach.

That doesn't seem to be case.

To this point I've been wrong about Julien. I thought it was a great signing and that he was a really good coach.

That doesn't seem to be case.

It's only money and not a cap issue but this team was never built to play his system. Also I never thought we were a great coach away from contending for anything .

I guess Nero thought different . It's not football where a Bellishek and a structured multi piece system can be successful

We could of been the same suckage with a junior coach not another chosen retread on a 25 million contract.

Also when you stink you shouldn't be anywhere near the cap unless you have cups like previous teams and you were forced to pay to retain talent , even if they become albatrosses in time .

When you're gifted a one year bonus like the Habs were cap wise they most definitely should have spent it. When you got massive contracts like Weber and Price on your team you don't sit back.

This is all on MB.

Last edited:
When you're gifted a one year bonus like the Habs were cap wise they most definitely should have spend it. When you got massive contracts like Weber and Price on your team you don't sit back.

This is all on MB.

Sure but Sid or CMD weren't available . I don't blame them a bit for not overpaying Radu at 31 or giving Markov a 2 year deal when he is finished come playoff time.

And don't start this Markov stuff , no one made him a decent offer to keep him in the NHL .

There was nothing to pay but overrated trash or get another hot mess Alzner type .

It's all on MB / Molson for the dysfunctional regime and roster and prospect building .

No amount of cap space was going to fix this mess in a summer . You can't have the atrocious record since 2008 and expect to wave a wand in the summer and turn it around , not happening .

The product is so bad that the coach has become almost irrelevant.

Julien had nothing to do with MBs terrible offseason.

Dunno, Alzner sounds like a Julien move. GM and coaches sits down and analyze the roster together. The coach ask for some players but the GM has the final say. My feeling is that Julien didn't care too much about Markov but really wanted a guy like Alzner.

Dunno, Alzner sounds like a Julien move. GM and coaches sits down and analyze the roster together. The coach ask for some players but the GM has the final say. My feeling is that Julien didn't care too much about Markov but really wanted a guy like Alzner.

The fault always lies with the GM...when he interviewed Julien for the job, there should have been red flags regarding his coaching style and the type of players he likes (type of players like Alzner, Ott, King)...

Ya, Julien is shit. The type of players he gravitated to and leans on and want MB to acquire are big, slow and completely out of date with today's NHL.

Forget this season, last playoffs the team was a 100 point club. It had home ice. They had radulov and Markov. Price was on his game. Everyone was healthy.

And the rangers shut everyone but radulov down. They dispatched the habs in 6 games.

That was on Julien. And in truth, it was just foreshadowing this season.

They needed to make the team better....and the actually made it worse while giving up our best prospect.

Ya, Julien is shit. The type of players he gravitated to and leans on and want MB to acquire are big, slow and completely out of date with today's NHL.

Forget this season, last playoffs the team was a 100 point club. It had home ice. They had radulov and Markov. Price was on his game. Everyone was healthy.

And the rangers shut everyone but radulov down. They dispatched the habs in 6 games.

That was on Julien. And in truth, it was just foreshadowing this season.

What I mostly remember is us scoring only 2 goals the whole series when trailing, despite the fact that we trailed about 170 minutes in that series. And that includes Plekanec's goal with 20 secs left in the 2nd game. As soon as they took the lead, it was game over, we had no answers and we made no adjustments the whole series.

The fault always lies with the GM...when he interviewed Julien for the job, there should have been red flags regarding his coaching style and the type of players he likes (type of players like Alzner, Ott, King)...

Of course it's on MB, he's the one who hired the coach. But I don't buy the narrative that the coach has nothing to do with the players he has. Ott, Knight, Martinsen and even Alzner are all players in the mold that he likes.

Of course it's on MB, he's the one who hired the coach. But I don't buy the narrative that the coach has nothing to do with the players he has. Ott, Knight, Martinsen and even Alzner are all players in the mold that he likes.

Still, Bergevin, coming from Hawks organization, shouldn't have doubled-down with Ott-King-Martinsen....he should be smart enough (which is what we expect from a GM) to tell his coach NO, it's never gonna work...

I'm sure this happens around the league every trade deadline, the coaches ask their GMs for this and that player, and the good GMs can filter the good from the bad......every person in the world could have told you King was too slow to fit our style of hockey....yet we got him, and overplayed him, even in final minutes of must-win games......go figure

Still, Bergevin, coming from Hawks organization, shouldn't have doubled-down with Ott-King-Martinsen....he should be smart enough (which is what we expect from a GM) to tell his coach NO, it's never gonna work...

I'm sure this happens around the league every trade deadline, the coaches ask their GMs for this and that player, and the good GMs can filter the good from the bad......every person in the world could have told you King was too slow to fit our style of hockey....yet we got him, and overplayed him, even in final minutes of must-win games......go figure

Oh absolutely, he has the final say, that's all on him. I'm just saying that Julien is not exactly innocent and a poor victim in all this.

Oh absolutely, he has the final say, that's all on him. I'm just saying that Julien is not exactly innocent and a poor victim in all this.

Agreed....which is why i keep calling him Jacques Lemaire....all our coaches are freaking Jacques Lemaire, but less talented versions

Does anyone doubt for a second that a coach like Quennville or Laviolette wouldn’t have tried to make it work with Chuckie at center or convinced ownership to keep Subban (and try to make it work with him even if he wanted to promote his own brand)

Back