PDA

View Full Version : Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

PQ
08-14-2008, 03:20 PM
lol and Slovakia actually scored first

hockeylover
08-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Ivan Hlinka Scoring Leaders

1. Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi SWE 3 6 - 9
2. Anton Lander SWE 3 3 - 6
3. Kirill Kabanov(92) RUS 3 3 - 6
4. Zach Budish USA 3 3 - 6
5. Mikael Granlund(92) FIN 3 3 - 6
6. Brayden Schenn CAN 2 4 - 6
7. Taylor Hall CAN 2 4 - 6
8. William Wallin SWE 4 1 - 5
9. Jacob Josefson SWE 3 2 - 5
10. Louis Leblanc CAN 3 2 - 5
11. Vladimir Tarasenko RUS 3 2 - 5
12. Casey Cizikas CAN 2 3 - 5
13. Ryan O'Reilly CAN 2 3 - 5
14. Patrik Cehlin SWE 2 3 - 5
15. Erik Haula FIN 2 3 - 5

hockeylover
08-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Leafs' Rookie Tournament Schedule

Saturday September 13 2:00pm Ottawa VS Florida
Saturday September 13 6:00pm Toronto VS Pittsburgh
Sunday September 14 2:00pm Florida VS Pittsburgh
Sunday September 14 6:00pm Toronto VS Ottawa
Monday September 15 2:00pm Ottawa VS Pittsburgh
Monday September 15 7:00pm Toronto VS Florida

Ticket Prices
Reserved Gold Adults $20.00 Senior/Student/Child $10.00
Reserved Red Adults $15.00 Senior/Student/Child $10.00

At the Aud in Kitchener...

http://www.kitchener.ca/aud/calendarEventAudDetailFull.aspx?tid=14316&caldate=Sat%20Sep%2013,%202008

hockeylover
08-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Ended up having dinner tonight with Matt Duchene and his parents tonight. This kid will absolutely ace every interview at the draft combine. It only took me about a minute to figure out why he ended up with the "C" at Ivan Hlinkas.

JaysCyYoung
08-24-2008, 11:29 PM
He hit on you didn't he, HL? ;)

hockeylover
08-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Well... not til his mom left. ;) Just kidding, he's about 4-5 years younger.

He's probably one of the most intelligent, well-spoken guys I've ever met. I was going to say one of the most intelligent, well-spoken hockey players I've ever met, but I thought that was selling him short because based on some of the hockey players I know, that's a bit like being the tallest guy at a Little People of America convention. You can tell he lives and breathes hockey from the second you meet him. Good parents too. Scouts are gonna love him. He has all the right answers - but it's not a show, it's not rehearsed, and he's not just spewing cliches.

PlayerToBeNamedLater
08-25-2008, 12:55 PM
you cougar

hockeylover
08-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Actually, my conversation with him cemented the idea for me that I want us to find a way to pick Brayden Schenn.

hairnova
08-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Why's that?

hockeylover
08-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Duchene's a really smart kid and it seemed like he really enjoyed talking about hockey so I felt comfortable asking him about certain players. It was pretty fascinating to listen to his thoughts on all of them and I noticed that when he spoke about each player he did so very objectively. A few times he'd say something great about a kid and then someone else would pipe in, "but you don't really like that guy, do you?" and he'd admit he didn't like him as a person. When Schenn came up, he talked about the skill and then he said pretty emphatically, "I really, really like him. He's a great guy." Maybe it sounds silly, but for some reason it really stood out to me. I dunno, it's character. You hear those things about Duchene and Schenn but you do not hear those things around the OHL about Tavares. You don't.

hairnova
08-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Awesome, thanks for sharing.

hockeylover
08-25-2008, 11:53 PM
The Habs should draft him. Duchene. Trade up.

Did I mention he speaks French? They roomed him with a defenseman from the Q at the Ivan Hlinka tourney so he could help him with language difficulties.

**Oops. I'm only half serious about the Habs trading up for him btw. Forgot a smiley or something. I'm sure that's his dream scenario though.

hockeylover
08-26-2008, 08:15 AM
And your latest prospect update from everyone's favourite, Howard Berger:

Among the rarest and most sought-after commodities in the current-day NHL is a bruising, stay-at-home defenseman of all-star caliber. In a best-case scenario, the Leafs have found such a player in Schenn.

Now, he needs someone with whom to ride shotgun.

Leaf followers are hoping that Russian forward Nikolai Kulemin will be that player, but Kulemin has never competed in North America and may fall into the all-encompassing category of Toronto prospects that have been vastly over-hyped through the years. If he is akin to 95% of Leaf hopefuls since the mid-‘70s, Kulemin will fall short of expectation. Forward Jiri Tlusty showed flashes of good form in his rookie campaign, but still finished with a mediocre 16 points in 58 games. His limited capacity without the puck precluded ex-coach Paul Maurice from utilizing him on a regular basis, and the Leafs are trusting that a year of experience will be beneficial.

But, Tlusty isn’t likely to mature into anything beyond a reliable second or third-line skater. And, there isn’t another prospect in the Leaf organization even remotely expected to reap a premium

What a little ray of sunshine!

ForeverTML
08-26-2008, 10:35 AM
I dont really put any importance on the "leaf-hating" comments by these shock jocks like Berger/McCown/Cox/Simmons etc. They do it on the sole purpose to get people's attention and for publicity.

The only guy I listen to is Bob Mac.

JaysCyYoung
08-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Agreed. Bob McKenzie has no discernable bias and actually has a reputation as a respected hockey evaluator to maintain.

Factinista
08-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Yeah he's got some knowledge in that giant head of his.

JaysCyYoung
08-26-2008, 12:12 PM
It's the hedgehog look.

MindzEye
08-26-2008, 12:46 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:fAkoj2xAARQ40M:http://www.bloodhoundrealty.com/BloodhoundBlog/MrMackey.gif

Reporting for TSN, I'm Bob Mackenzie

Factinista
08-26-2008, 12:51 PM
ahaha Bob Mackie.

W0LF
08-27-2008, 04:35 PM
It seems like Berger ignores any talent the Leafs might have but when any other team has talent then he's all over it with optimisim and possible potenital for that player. I don't even know why he writes about the Leafs.

MindzEye
08-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Negativity sells in Toronto. Any time you try to point out a positive concerning the Leafs in any way, the Leaf "fans" in our media just plug their ears and scream '1967!!!!!' is if past failure dooms us to future failure.

zeke
08-27-2008, 07:27 PM
please, don't post Berger "articles".

The guy is the bitch the Fan sends to leaf practices, and who fills in during the dregs of the summer when nobody else wants to work. He isn't employed as a writer or opinion guy by any credible source, for good reason.

We internet boards are the only reason he has any reputation of any kind....and hell, we all know he reads most of these boards, so if he wants to post, let him post himself - don't do it for him.

And hell, he admitted on radio today (why I was listening I don't know), that in his opinion, the only thing a sportswriter cares about is if people react to what he writes....and nothing other than that.

I love how apparently Kulemin is now super-overrated......but of course, if you ask the average leaf fan, they have no idea who the hell he even is.

As for Tlusty being nothing more than a 2nd liner, right now he's one of the top-10 players from his draft at the NHL level right now, and is the top 1 or 2 in the AHL so far as well. Must be some kind of crappy draft class.

MindzEye
08-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Any time a sports journalist writes a piece about a prospect, but inside the piece admits to never have seen the player in question actually play, you automatically have to question that writers integrity, professionalism, and love of the sport he's writing about. Nobody who takes their work seriously in any field would release a piece publicly in which they're forced to admit their ignorance towards the subject.

Artnes
08-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Berger comes here, see's what some of us think Kulemin and Tlusty can do and all of a sudden he assumes we think they will do it and labels them nothing more then 3rd lines.

**** you and your daigo moustache Berger. Put that in your next hockeybuzz article

leafman101
08-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Kulemin will bust, because in the past Leaf prospects have busted....as long as your clear on your reasoning i guess...

hockeylover
08-28-2008, 11:31 AM
There was quite a few rumours floating around before that Paul Maurice was going to end up as the coach of the Oshawa Generals, but they looks like they took the interim tag off of Chris DiPiero instead and made him coach and GM.

hockeylover
08-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Came across this fantastic blog back around draft time written by Michael Remmerde. He is a scout and contributing editor for Red Line Report. He focuses on the WHL.

This was his take on Luke Schenn:

Luke Schenn / Kelowna Rockets WHL
D-R / 6-2.25, 216 / 02-Nov-1989

Skating: 60 / Skill: 65 / Sense: 70 / Compete: 70 / Tough: 65 (*His ratings are out of 80, not 100)

Strengths: Thinks the game very well. Has underrated puck skill. Very advanced and won't need much development time.

Weaknesses: Not many. Somewhat limited overall upside, but who cares when he's already this good.

Does not get enough credit for his offensive ability. Should be at least a 2nd PP unit guy in the NHL. Has a very good shot. Rarely rushes the puck because he's so good at making the first pass. Decision making is outstanding. Plays a ton of minutes. Physical game and toughness is slightly overrated - not the angry head-basher many armchair scouts think he is. Best word for his phyiscal game is "effective" rather than "punishing".

Summary: About as safe a pick as they come.

Target/Want: If the big 3 Ontario d-men are gone (Bogosian, Doughty, Pietrangelo) then this is the one to get. Only forwards I'd take ahead of him are Stamkos and Boedker. Pound your fist on the table for this guy if you're drafting about 6th overall.

http://nhldraftnotes.blogspot.com/2008/05/schenn-luke-d-kelowna.html

johnunit
08-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Interesting that he downplays Schenn's physicality. I wonder if he's 100% sincere, or just trying to be more memorable by bucking the trend?

I've never seen a single complete game from him, or most of our other top prospects. I can't wait till camp when we get to see some of these guys up close and not on youtube.

Artnes
08-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Is there an odd chance that Schenn can crack the roster this year?

mbow30
08-28-2008, 01:34 PM
fletcher said he'll be given a chance to earn a spot but i just don't see any room for him.

hockeylover
08-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Interesting that he downplays Schenn's physicality. I wonder if he's 100% sincere, or just trying to be more memorable by bucking the trend?

I've only seen him at the World Juniors - it's not as if we get any Kelowna Rockets games out here. But I'd bet that you see a different side of Luke Schenn in a short, intense tournament than you would over the course of a whole WHL season. At the WJCs, the Canadians always place a huge emphasis on those big, punishing hits because in the past that's usually worked wonders in getting some of the star players on the European teams off of their game. And at the WJCs, there is a whole lot of pressure guys like Schenn to play safe, mistake-free hockey. This is the second or third person who watched him play in Kelowna all last year and has said they believe he has way more offense in him than everyone seems to think.

So it doesn't really surprise me that he says people slightly overrate the physical aspect of his game but it really doesn't sound like he's knocking him whatsoever.

Artnes
08-28-2008, 01:43 PM
If he impresses enough to make it do you make room?

I am not one for rushing him in to quick, but if he is able to take a spot from someone and log enough minutes that won't hinder his development, then I am all for it.

He is prob best served in the Marlies for a year just to get his feet wet and give him a call up when someone goes down, but it would be nice to see him be able to jump right in and not miss a beat

mbow30
08-28-2008, 01:46 PM
i'm not sure what the leafs can do to make room, though.

kaberle and kubina are locked in. it looks like they'll be adding van ryn, they just signed finger. stralman simply has to be given a shot, and unless you're willing to give colaiacovo away for free (which just isn't worth it), you have to give him a spot amongst your seven. count white, who is still on the roster, and we're already at seven. and that isn't counting kronwall, who could realistically challenge for the 7th spot, and frogren who might or might not be at camp.

hockeylover
08-28-2008, 02:00 PM
He is prob best served in the Marlies for a year just to get his feet wet and give him a call up when someone goes down, but it would be nice to see him be able to jump right in and not miss a beat

He cannot play for the Marlies.

hockeylover
08-28-2008, 02:02 PM
i'm not sure what the leafs can do to make room, though.

kaberle and kubina are locked in. it looks like they'll be adding van ryn, they just signed finger. stralman simply has to be given a shot, and unless you're willing to give colaiacovo away for free (which just isn't worth it), you have to give him a spot amongst your seven. count white, who is still on the roster, and we're already at seven. and that isn't counting kronwall, who could realistically challenge for the 7th spot, and frogren who might or might not be at camp.

I agree, there's really no room for him. I suppose if he blows your socks off you make a trade, but I don't really see it happening. I think he's best served in Kelowna anyway.

ForeverTML
08-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Just heard Fletch on the fan a couple hours ago say that Frogren in fact WILL be on the leafs roster come September 9th - the situation is to be resolved by the NHL and the NHLPA.

Factinista
08-28-2008, 02:12 PM
What the balls, we have like 10 defencemen.

johnunit
08-28-2008, 02:15 PM
so, assuming a McCabe-vanryn trade, which I'm skeptical about:

Kaberle
Kubina
Van Ryn
Finger
Colaiacavo
Stralman
White
Frogren
Kronwall
Schenn

If nothing else, it's one hell of a top 6. One hell of a log jam though. Personally, I'd trade White and Kubina if possible. That leave you with 7 players not including Schenn, with Kronwall tradeable or Marlies fodder if Schenn makes a strong enough case for himself in camp.

Artnes
08-28-2008, 02:23 PM
The Van Ryn trade is making less and less sense every day. Unless Fletcher is planning on playing a 1-4 system. Line up 4 defencemen and one forward.

There has to be a forward and or prospects coming back in that trade if it goes down at all

hockeylover
08-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Just heard Fletch on the fan a couple hours ago say that Frogren in fact WILL be on the leafs roster come September 9th - the situation is to be resolved by the NHL and the NHLPA.

That's not really NEW news. The PA filed the grievance right after it was rejected and anytime the PA files a grievance it goes to System Arbitrator. Since this takes a while they let the player continue to play under the disputed terms. I mentioned this like a month ago in the Frogren thread.

hockeylover
08-28-2008, 02:35 PM
so, assuming a McCabe-vanryn trade, which I'm skeptical about:

Kaberle
Kubina
Van Ryn
Finger
Colaiacavo
Stralman
White
Frogren
Kronwall
Schenn

If nothing else, it's one hell of a top 6. One hell of a log jam though. Personally, I'd trade White and Kubina if possible. That leave you with 7 players not including Schenn, with Kronwall tradeable or Marlies fodder if Schenn makes a strong enough case for himself in camp.

Kaberle Kubina
Finger Colaiacovo
Van Ryn Stralman
Frogren

Trade White. And Colaiacovo will be injured like ASAP anyway.

hairnova
08-28-2008, 02:35 PM
This is the second or third person who watched him play in Kelowna all last year and has said they believe he has way more offense in him than everyone seems to think.

Did you see the goal he scored at the Prospects Game? It was a beauty.

Artnes
08-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Anyone know what number Kulemin will be wearing this year?

I've decided that I am getting his put on in place of Welly's

W0LF
08-28-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't beileve that Van Ryn is coming back, I really don't, it just doesn't make sense. But with a log-jam at D like this all that Wilson can do is bring the best 6-7 defenceman out of training camp, regardless of contract's, then hopefully we will still have depth in the Marlies.

Anyone know what number Kulemin will be wearing this year?

I've decided that I am getting his put on in place of Welly's

I think he'll be wearing #98 but if your going to do that you should wait till training camp to make sure the number he's wearing.

hockeylover
08-28-2008, 03:22 PM
I think he'll be wearing #98 but if your going to do that you should wait till training camp to make sure the number he's wearing.

Mmm. I'm pretty sure he's taking #41 and Tlusty is taking #11.

hockeylover
08-28-2008, 03:40 PM
LEAFS PROSPECTS

Forwards

Joel Champagne, C – Chicoutimi Sagueneens, QMJHL
Chris DiDomenico, C – Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL
John Mitchell, C – Toronto Marlies, AHL
Jiri Tlusty, C – Toronto Maple Leafs, NHL
Chad Rau, C – Colorado College Tigers, NCAA
Mikhail Stefanovich, C – Quebec Remparts, QMJHL

Robbie Earl, LW – Toronto Marlies, AHL
Jerome Flaake, LW – Cologne Sharks, DEL
Alex Foster, LW – Toronto Marlies, AHL
Mikhail Grabovski, LW/C – Toronto Maple Leafs, NHL
Nikolai Kulemin, LW – Toronto Maple Leafs, NHL
Viktor Stahlberg, LW – University of Vermont, NCAA
Ben Winnett, LW – University of Michigan Wolverines, NCAA

Matt Frattin, RW – University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, NCAA
Jimmy Hayes, RW – Boston College Eagles, NCAA
Dale Mitchell, RW – Windsor Spitfires, OHL
Tyler Ruegsegger, RW – University of Denver Pioneers, NCAA

Defensemen

Carl Gunnarson – Linkoping, SEL
Andrew MacWilliam – University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, NCAA
Juraj Mikus – Trencin Slovakia
Phil Oreskovich – Toronto Marlies, AHL
Luke Schenn – Kelowna Rockets, WHL
Anton Stralman - Toronto Maple Leafs, NHL
Dmitri Vorobiev – HC Lada Togliatti, KHL

Goaltenders

Justin Pogge – Toronto Marlies, AHL
James Reimer – Toronto Marlies, AHL
Grant Rollheiser – Boston University Terriers, NCAA

JaysCyYoung
08-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Mikus has the potential to be a gem based on everything I've read. He was pretty good at the WJ's for Slovakia as I recall as well.

hockeylover
08-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey guys. I'm going to try and make this year's draft preview a bit more interesting/creative. We end up seeing some of the same old stuff in all of the draft previews and I thought if I did some of the leg work that you guys might be able to suggest stuff I can be digging into during the season. Any ideas?

I'm going to try and get out to quite a few Brampton and Oshawa games this year and hopefully I can work it out that I get to see draft eligibles on a fair number of the visiting teams. Maybe I can make a few notes on how I thought they performed, who they were playing with, how they were used, etc. Granted I'm no scout, just a draft junkie but nevertheless... :D If you have anything else you'd like to see just lemme know! Within reason of course. I'm gonna jot down some stuff that Matt said about some of the U18 guys he played with too, could end up being helpful to hear semi-OTR what he thought of some of the guys.

Thanks in advance.

johnunit
08-30-2008, 04:42 PM
I don't know how much equipment or help you'd be able to get, but any unique/original game footage would be great.

Also, where is the CHL prospect game taking place this year? That would be a must-cover.

hockeylover
09-01-2008, 10:55 PM
No idea where the Top Prospects game will be. I'll keep an eye out for news on that though.

Was at Brampton vs Kitchener pre-season game today in Brampton. Cody Hodgson and Matt Duchene were scratched because they had played yesterday's game in Kitchener. Brampton won yesterday 5-2 with Duchene scoring twice. Today Brampton won 6-2. Thomas Stajan had a goal and an assist.

EJ McGuire, Director of Central Scouting, was sitting right near me.

Volcanologist
09-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Did he hit on you?

hockeylover
09-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Nah, he was far more interested in his big bag of arena popcorn.

worm
09-01-2008, 11:09 PM
cleavage helps :p

hockeylover
09-01-2008, 11:14 PM
http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/NHL+Top+Prospects+Media+Luncheon+Z8OXYovypHJl.jpg

This is EJ McGuire. :lol Come on guys.

worm
09-01-2008, 11:16 PM
you dont see enough stache these days

Volcanologist
09-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Nah, he was far more interested in his big bag of arena popcorn.

Well then next time, arrive at the arena coated head to toe in butter and salt.

PQ
09-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Pittsburgh forward Evgeni Malkin told Sport-Express that Nikolai Kulemin has all the tools to crack Toronto's lineup in the upcoming season.

"Before leaving, Nikolai asked me a lot of questions about the NHL and Toronto and I did my best to help him" - tells Malkin. - "Based on my two years in the NHL, I think he can make the team in Toronto. He won't have any problem with the game, conditioning and strength. The main thing is to learn English. I'm sure that Kulemin is ready 100%."

LeafsFanInOttawa
09-04-2008, 02:17 PM
That's great to hear, coming from Malkin. If only he didn't sign that extension in Pitts, maybe Kulemin could have enticed him to come over to TO.

Battaglia4Hart
09-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Anyone heading to the prospect tourney in Kitchener this weekend? Ill be at the game on saturday. Pitt vs Toronto.

legoalie
09-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Had a nice chat with Pogge this summer and I can tell you that he is disappointed in the way he was treated during the playoffs and he wonders where his future is with the Leafs.... but being Justin, and having such a great attitude, the kid is working harder and wants to kick ass this year.. good luck Justin!

ps- he still can't golf :lol

Corky27
09-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Had a nice chat with Pogge this summer and I can tell you that he is disappointed in the way he was treated during the playoffs and he wonders where his future is with the Leafs.... but being Justin, and having such a great attitude, the kid is working harder and wants to kick ass this year.. good luck Justin!

ps- he still can't golf :lol

Justin spends his days drinking with my dead beat cousin. I have less and less confidence in him with each passing weekend seeing his latest photos on facebook.

MindzEye
09-08-2008, 01:16 AM
If he spends his weeks training, I'd excuse a few photos of him all smashed. Shit, we've seen pictures of Sundin drunk on these forums and not once do I remember it effecting his game

johnunit
09-08-2008, 01:22 AM
Also, your perspective is gonna be a bit skewed by your cousin wanting to be that cool guy who drinks it up with future Leafs. I know if I was regularly partying it up with a star like Pogge, I'd be pretty tempted to play it up as much as I could get away with. You're probably not gonna hear about that "deep conversation on buddhism" he had with Pogge either.

Artnes
09-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Lemieux smoked a pack a day and could still skate circles around half of the NHL

PQ
09-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Lemieux smoked a pack a day and could still skate circles around half of the NHL

Well when Pogge can skate circles around half of the NHL, then he can allow himself to drink too..

JaysCyYoung
09-08-2008, 09:03 AM
The NHL has a major substance abuse problem that starts in junior hockey. I don't think this is anything new but people rarely discuss it. See Fogarty: Bryan for instance.

Artnes
09-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Not the point PQ

Just because you are a professional athlete doesn't mean you have to put your life on hold and stop enjoying things.

Just because he has a few drunk pics out there doesn't mean he's a raging alcoholic and is flushing his career down the toilet

PQ
09-08-2008, 09:13 AM
I thought that's what separates the professional athletes from the amateurs. The pros make sacrifices..

That said, I have no idea how serious this drinking thing really is, lol

leafman101
09-08-2008, 09:40 AM
I can say with certainty that professional athletes drink and party like every one else.

W0LF
09-08-2008, 10:16 AM
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/10523/maple_leafs_top20_prospects_fall2008/

It has been a long time since the Toronto Maple Leaf organization boasted as many legitimate prospects as they do right now. While they still aren't a talent-producing haven with multiple blue chippers, the Leafs are beginning the transition back to player development.

The Toronto war room has done a decent job over the past five years, culling the late rounds and finding legitimate NHL talent. Combine that with earlier picks thanks to finishing low in the standings, and the formula for building from within is there.

This top 20 list is composed of five picks from the 2008 draft, four from 2007, five from the impressive 2006 stable, two choices from the 2005 draft, and three choices from 2004. Mikhail Grabovski was acquired from the Montreal Canadiens this summer and slides in behind the undisputed top six players after being ranked No. 8 on the Canadiens list.

It is rare that the organization will declare a full rebuild. But that is exactly what they have done in the past eight months. There are no veteran stopgaps. No dreams of fighting and clawing for the division title. This is the time for the youth to step up in hockey-mad Hog Town. While many of the Top 20 prospects will take to the ice this fall with higher than usual expectations, how will they leave this list?

Barring injury, Jiri Tlusty, Nik Kulemin, Anton Stralman, Grabovski and possibly Robbie Earl will all graduate from this list in spring 2009, but only time will tell if they will do so on their way to NHL stardom.

Top 20 at a glance

1. (NR) Luke Schenn, D, 18
2. (2) Nikolai Kulemin, RW, 22
3. (3) Jiri Tlusty, LW, 20
4. (1) Justin Pogge, G, 22
5. (4) Anton Stralman, D, 22
6. (5) Dmitri Vorobiev, D, 22
7. (NR) Mikhail Grabovski, C, 24
8. (NR) Mikhail Stefanovich, C, 18
9. (NR) Jimmy Hayes, RW, 18
10. (6) Robbie Earl, LW, 23
11. (7) Tyler Ruegsegger, C, 20
12. (11) Chris Didomenico, C, 19
13. (13) Chad Rau, C, 21
14. (8) Dale Mitchell, RW, 19
15. (9) James Reimer, G, 20
16. (12) Ben Winnett, LW, 19
17. (10) Matt Frattin, LW, 20
18. (NR) Joel Champagne, C, 18
19. (19) Viktor Stalberg, LW, 22
20. (NR) Jerome Flaake LW, 18

Artnes
09-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Just a thought and I know it prob won't happen, but technically Kulemin can challenge for the Calder.

I think the rule is under 26 as of Sept 15th of their rookie year.

zeke
09-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Williams should be on that list.

LeafsFanInOttawa
09-08-2008, 11:11 AM
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/10523/maple_leafs_top20_prospects_fall2008/

Why is it that in the report, it says that Schenn, Tlusty, and Kulemin all have 8B, but in the team report, they all have 8C?

I'm also happy about Mikhail Stefanovich's 7C, especially since we drafted him at the #98 spot.

JaysCyYoung
09-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Stefanovich was, like Hayes, at one time considered a projected first rounder. With that in mind it's not really that surprising to see him garner a seventh grade.

mbow30
09-08-2008, 02:52 PM

well he would be, if he didn't suck so much.

zeke
09-08-2008, 03:01 PM
yep, he sucks as bad as Grabovski.

mbow30
09-08-2008, 03:02 PM
well, it's close.

hockeylover
09-08-2008, 06:57 PM

Hockey's Future is a website dedicated to prospects. To establish uniformity among all the team pages and to increase the credibility of all the articles, all players listed on HF will follow the "Prospect Rules" to help editors and writers in determining who is and isn't considered a prospect anymore. Players who no longer qualify as prospects will be removed from team lists and rankings.

A player will be considered a prospect until he meets the following criteria:

If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.

Williams is 24. Grabovski SHOULDN'T be on the list, at least according to HFs prospect criteria.

ForeverTML
09-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Just released: TSN's poll of 10 NHL scouts to obtain TSN's Pre-Season Top 10 for the 2009 NHL Entry Draft

1. Victor Hedman, Defence (96 votes)
2. John Tavares, Forward (93 votes)
3. Jared Cowen, Defence (73 votes)
4. Matt Duchene, Forward (68 votes)
5. Brayden Schenn, Forward (60 votes)
6. Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi, Forward (57 votes)
7. Nazem Kadri, Forward (30 votes)
8. Jordan Schroeder, Forward (22 votes)
9. Evander Kane, Forward (14 votes)
10. Louis Leblanc, Forward (10 votes)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=249081&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

Pretty darn close race for the top two, obviously. It'll be exciting to see most or all of these guys in the junior tourneys.

zeke
09-10-2008, 07:20 PM
based on the vote totals, looks like at this point there's a clear top-6 at the top.

JaysCyYoung
09-10-2008, 07:47 PM
I would be surprised if Kadri went in the top ten and there's a distinct lack of Ryan Ellis who should definitely go top ten. He's the best pure offensive blueliner to come out of the OHL in years. Better than Doughty. Better than Pietrangelo.

hockeylover
09-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks for posting this!

The top 6 are just awesome, awesome prospects. I even think you could see number 6 on that list, Paajarvi, challenge for the top if things go right for him. Actually, sort of surprised Paajarvi didn't get more votes because he tore up the Ivan Hlinka tourney (Tournament leader with 9 points in four games IIRC).

hockeylover
09-10-2008, 07:56 PM
I would be surprised if Kadri went in the top ten and there's a distinct lack of Ryan Ellis who should definitely go top ten. He's the best pure offensive blueliner to come out of the OHL in years. Better than Doughty. Better than Pietrangelo.

Perhaps Kadri's value is inflated a bit right now because he was invited to the WJC Summer Camp since he was ineligible for the Ivan Hlinka tourney (he's a late '90, you had to be a '91) and reportedly had a great camp.

LeafsFanInOttawa
09-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Yup, really surprised that Svensson-Paajarvi is that low on that list.

I'm hoping (as of right now) that the Leafs draft one of: Tavares, Hedman, Schenn, or Svensson-Paajarvi (in no particular order).

hockeylover
09-10-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm expecting a much better year stastically from Duchene - IMO, his stats from this season don't reflect the talent level. His linemates seemed to have hands of stone from what I saw last season and he's playing in a pretty defensive-minded system under Stan Butler. He did score 184 points in 64 games in Midget AAA playing for Central Ontario as a 15 year old so he's got that dynamic offensive potential and tremendous speed.

hockeylover
09-10-2008, 09:53 PM
I just heard that Cherepanov suffered a groin injury in his game the other night with Omsk, and has now been sent down to their farm club.

PQ
09-10-2008, 10:00 PM
that report is a few days old. he played in today's Avangard - Metallurg match

hockeylover
09-10-2008, 10:16 PM
oh ok, thanks PQ!

LeafsFanInOttawa
09-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Just a heads up, the Leafs rookie tournament starts today in Kitchener.

The first game is today against Pitts, Sunday vs. Ott, and Monday vs. Fla

LeafGm
09-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi
Heh, it'll be interesting seeing that name get fit onto the back of an NHL jersey.

JaysCyYoung
09-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Just choose one of your parent's last names and go with it.

LeafGm
09-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Just choose one of your parent's last names and go with it.
I never really understand parents that choose to go the hyphen route when naming their kids. It's not really forward-thinking. I mean, if it's kept up for 3 or 4 generations, eventually you're going to end up with poor saps that have sixteen hyphens in their last name. Either pick one of the two names and stick with it, or go with something more creative, like the daughters get the mom's name and the sons get the dad's name, or vice-versa.

runninglow
09-13-2008, 03:12 PM
I never really understand parents that choose to go the hyphen route when naming their kids. It's not really forward-thinking. I mean, if it's kept up for 3 or 4 generations, eventually you're going to end up with poor saps that have sixteen hyphens in their last name. Either pick one of the two names and stick with it, or go with something more creative, like the daughters get the mom's name and the sons get the dad's name, or vice-versa.

Gotta agree. What my wife and I did was give our little guy 2 middle names, the second being her last name. His last name is mine (mostly, since I'm the one getting snipped ultimately), but having her last name in there helps with little things, like if she takes him out of the country and someone questions why her children have a different last name, etc, etc.

hockeylover
09-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Maybe he continues to go by both because IIRC, Paajarvi is a Finnish name and he represents Sweden internationally.

Battaglia4Hart
09-14-2008, 12:51 PM
I was at the Pittsburgh - Toronto prospect game last night and I thought id give my two cents.

Schenn = Schitt - He didnt really do anything at all to impress. He disappointed me. He seemed to run around the defensive zone, and he got beat bad once and was forced to take a bad hooking penalty. His skating isnt the best, and he doesnt seem to have the greatest hands. His first pass out of the zone is quite good tho, he seems to always find his target.

The biggest stand outs to me were Dale Mitchell and Chris Didomenico. They were all over the ice. They were creating chances, and their line seemed like the only line that could get anything going in the offensive zone. Both of them play with an edge. They show a physical game, but they can both skate and create plays. My buddies and I started really paying attention to that line in the third period, and Mitchell started to remind us of Avery. He was all over the ice hitting people and generally just causing shit. These two guys may end up being pretty good picks considering where they were picked.

Wellwoods brother can flat out fly. Hes got some nice wheels on him. Hes small tho and got knocked off the puck quite easily, but he scored a nice goal and showed some speed to breakaway from the chasing defender and walk in alone.

As a side note, they only had one box in the entire place open, and it happend to be the one two rows behind us. (The boxes at the aud are literally right behind the last row of seating). That box belonged to the whole Leaf brass. Basically all of the Leafs management was there and the entire Leafs coaching staff. They didnt exactly seem impressed after the game

zeke
09-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Toronto

D.Rudisuela: 25
M.Taylor: 24
D.Boyce: 24
K.Rogers: 23
J.Cooper: 23
S.Langdon: 23
J.Uotila: 23
M.Ouzas; 23
J.Beljo: 21
P.Oreskovic: 21
S.Gilati: 20
J.Reimer: 20
G.Scott: 20
J.Day; 20
K.Holzer: 20
T.Stajan; 19
C.Didomenico: 19
D.Mitchell: 19
J.Mikus: 19
L.Schenn: 18
M.Stefanovich: 18
J.Champagne: 18
E.Wellwood: 18

Ottawa

J.Waugh: 25
M.Lawrence: 25
J.WInchester: 24
M.O'Keefe: 24
M.Ganzak: 24
B.Elliot: 23
D.Smith: 23
M.Karlsson: 23
B.Roach: 23
A.Nikulin: 23
A.Miller: 23
P.Regin; 22
S.Weller: 22
B.Doucet: 22
P.L.Faubert: 22
K.desfosses: 21
T.Kudelka: 21
I.Zubov: 21
B.Morrison: 21
B.Wright: 20
Z.Smith; 20
K.Daugavins: 20
J.O'Brien: 19

Just like I thought - the Leafs' roster has 13 players 20 or younger (i.e. have never played above junior hockey, and never played in a professional league), while the Sens' roster has only 4.

Not sure what the other rosters look like, but they're probably more similar to Ottawa's roster.

The Leafs' amateur-laden team is much younger than the usual team sent out there.

Artnes
09-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Looks like the Leafs invited former Hawks goalie Adam Munro to camp this year.

13-9-1 .913% in 25 games last year with Syracuse

Probably brought in case Remier is sent back

MindzEye
09-17-2008, 02:19 PM
CHL teams very rarely use one of their over age spots on a goalie, if Reimer doesn't make the Marlies out of camp, he'll start the year in the ECHL.

PQ
09-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Vorobiev says the Leafs called him this summer and invited him to come play for the Marlies for a year, but he wasn't interested. He says he's also heard rumours of his rights being dealt to another team.

His contract ran out this summer and he signed a 2 year extension with his team. So far this season he has 1 goal in 9 games.

Cheech
09-29-2008, 10:49 AM
I was at the Pittsburgh - Toronto prospect game last night and I thought id give my two cents.

Schenn = Schitt - He didnt really do anything at all to impress. He disappointed me. He seemed to run around the defensive zone, and he got beat bad once and was forced to take a bad hooking penalty. His skating isnt the best, and he doesnt seem to have the greatest hands. His first pass out of the zone is quite good tho, he seems to always find his target.

The biggest stand outs to me were Dale Mitchell and Chris Didomenico. They were all over the ice. They were creating chances, and their line seemed like the only line that could get anything going in the offensive zone. Both of them play with an edge. They show a physical game, but they can both skate and create plays. My buddies and I started really paying attention to that line in the third period, and Mitchell started to remind us of Avery. He was all over the ice hitting people and generally just causing shit. These two guys may end up being pretty good picks considering where they were picked.

Wellwoods brother can flat out fly. Hes got some nice wheels on him. Hes small tho and got knocked off the puck quite easily, but he scored a nice goal and showed some speed to breakaway from the chasing defender and walk in alone.

As a side note, they only had one box in the entire place open, and it happend to be the one two rows behind us. (The boxes at the aud are literally right behind the last row of seating). That box belonged to the whole Leaf brass. Basically all of the Leafs management was there and the entire Leafs coaching staff. They didnt exactly seem impressed after the game

Wow! You must have been looking at the wrong person :out: Luke Schenn, is the best rookie at your training camp. I agree his skating is his field of improvement, while his defensive ability is very strong. He is a physical presence on the ice, but doesnt take the hit if it means going out of position. He has very good passing ability, and sees the ice well. He is probably one of the most mature and skillful 18 year old defenceman that the NHL has seen in a long time. I hope he comes back to kelowna so we can win a memorial cup again, but with him impressing the toronto coaching staff, that will probably be not the case. Oh and by the way, he is wearing #2 and scored a goal, if you have trouble finding him.
Thank you and bye

Battaglia4Hart
09-29-2008, 10:30 PM
You must have been looking at the wrong person

After that game, the media and the coaching staff both said exactly what I just said. He was clearly nervous and he shook the rust off. But I was not the only one to say that after his first game at the prospect camp.

zeke
09-30-2008, 02:32 PM
There's no doubt that Schenn looks a helluva lot better in the real camp than he did in the rookie camp.

Which is pretty impressive itself.

hockeylover
10-02-2008, 11:51 PM
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/18281-Mark-Seidels-Blog-Top-30-prospects-for-the-2009-draft.html

#1 – John Tavares – 6-feet, 183 pounds – Oshawa Generals
Selecting Tavares at No. 1 was our first controversial decision of the year. As we spent the summer and early fall checking back on our reports and watching Tavares early this season, we came to the conclusion that we, like so many others, had grown overexposed to him. As a result, we stopped appreciating the immense ability this kid has. Now, we truly believe he will be a special offensive player at the NHL level, as early as next year. Though we still don’t love his skating, the fact remains his vision, scoring sense and ability to distribute the puck are unparalleled in this draft class and that dominance will carry over into the NHL. He still has work to do, but expect a monster year out of him in Oshawa (and potentially London). Fans should make a point of seeing him play this year because after June, you will have to pay NHL prices to marvel at his skills.

#2 – Victor Hedman – 6-foot-7, 220 pounds – Modo (SWE)
Our philosophy at NACS has always been that a stud defender is much more valuable than a stud forward. That thinking left us with Hedman in the No. 1 spot last spring and although that defense-first philosophy continues, we think Hedman is the second-best prospect in the 2009 draft class. He certainly has all the tools you love in a defender - good feet, size, reach, great passing and poise - but one factor that has crept into his game is a lack of nastiness he possessed as a teenager. He has become a little too passive, but we expect his physical play to re-emerge. However, it is a red flag that has been raised by a couple of our European guys and it will have to be corrected.

#3 – Jared Cowen – 6-foot-5, 220 pounds – Spokane Chiefs
The best of the rest begins with an exceptional defender from Spokane who has a chance to be a franchise defenseman. Cowen is just a notch below Hedman in almost every category, but that still gives him an unbelievable future. It will be interesting to watch his season with the Chiefs to see if he continues to progress and if that development results in a spot on the World Junior team at Christmas. It will also be intriguing to compare him and Hedman in the same event against the same opponents and to judge if Cowen can close the gap. He won’t catch Hedman, but Cowen is ahead of every other defenseman in the draft by a good margin.

#4 –Brayden Schenn – 6-foot-1, 197 pounds – Brandon Wheat Kings
The younger brother of Toronto’s first pick in 2008, Luke Schenn, Brayden was the Western League’s leading scorer among rookies last season and his performance at the World Under-17s was exceptional. Furthermore, he looks even stronger and more composed, as evidenced by his play at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament in August. There are so many things about his game to love that we have him ranked as the second-best forward available.

#5 – Matt Duchene – 6-feet, 190 pounds – Brampton Battalion
Another player who was outstanding at the Ivan Hlinka tournament was Matt Duchene. We have always gone by the philosophy that if you can get a kid who does something better than anyone else in his class, it’s a huge positive. In Duchene’s case, he leads the pack in skating and in the new NHL, that skill cannot be overestimated. He creates offensive opportunities using speed and vision and at the NHL level his burst will allow him to draw penalties at an alarming rate. Much like Alex Ovechkin and Ilya Kovalchuk, Duchene can change gears so quickly defensemen have trouble adapting and end up hauling him down. Along with his speed, Duchene has a pro shot and vision that is advanced for his age. Lastly, he is being coached by Stan Butler in Brampton, where you know he will be continually pushed to be the best he can be.

#6 – Jordan Schroeder – 5-foot-10, 170 pounds – University of Minnesota
Although Schroeder lacks size, he has a high hockey IQ, much like Patrick Kane or Sam Gagner. Schroeder has the ability to get into scoring areas and create offense despite his size. It will be interesting to watch him play this season in the highly competitive Western Collegiate Hockey Association for the hockey factory that is the Minnesota Golden Gophers. Schroeder will be expected to hold his own against 22- and 23-year-old men and how he fares in those battles will establish where he fits into this year’s rankings.

#7 – Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi – 6-foot-1, 195 pounds – Timra (SWE)
Like Tavares, another kid who has been talked about for years is Svensson-Paajarvi. He holds the Swedish record for being the youngest competitor at the world juniors and when you factor in players such as Peter Forsberg, Mats Sundin and Nicklas Lidstrom didn’t play in the event at that age, it says a lot about Paajarvi’s skill level. Most impressive was that he was a solid contributor on that silver medal team. His skill level is high and, quite frankly, if there is one guy we think will move up as the season progresses, it is him. The more viewings our guys get of him, the more they like. I expect him to be in the top five by the time June rolls around.

#8 – Nazem Kadri – 6-feet, 182 pounds – London Knights
If you were to draw up a game plan for a young prospect to ensure he would maximize his talent, what Kadri and his agent have done would be the example to follow. Firstly, they had him drafted by and playing for the Kitchener Rangers under Peter DeBoer in his first year. He topped his time off in Kitchener by playing in the Memorial Cup and when DeBoer left, Kadri moved to his hometown of London to play under another great coach, Dale Hunter. Kadri was an important factor in Kitchener last year and expect him to be one of the centerpieces in London too, as Mark and Dale Hunter look to take a run at the Memorial Cup this year. Although he has the usual prerequisite of skill and smarts, it is Kadri’s competitiveness we love most. He can be nasty to play against and isn’t afraid of the physical side of the game.

The following list outlines the rest of our Top 30. Check in regularly as we will be updating profiles, as well as finishing the rest of the potential first-rounders.

9 Jeremy Morin 6-foot-1 173 RC US Under 18's Apr-91
10 Tommi Kivisto 6-foot-2 194 LD Red Deer Jun-91
11 Evander Kane 5-foot-11 168 LC Vancouver Giants Feb-91
12 Zac Kassian 6-foot-3 211 RW Peterborough Petes Jan-91
13 Ryan Ellis 5-foot-10 180 RD Windsor Spitfires Jan-91
14 David Runblad 6-foot-3 190 LD Skelleftea Oct-90
15 Jacob Josefson 6-feet 175 LC Djurgarden Mar-91
16 Casey Cizikas 5-foot-10 188 LC Mississauga Majors Feb-91
17 Ryan O'Reilly 6-foot-1 191 LC Erie Otters Feb-91
18 Louis Leblanc 6-foot-1 176 RW Omaha Landers Jan-91
19 Kyle Palmieri 5-foot-11 185 RC US Under 18's Feb-91
20 Alex Hutchings 5-foot-10 170 LC Barrie Colts Nov-90
21 Richard Panik 6-foot-3 194 LC Trinec Feb-91
22 Tomas Vincour 6-foot-3 210 LW Edmonton OilKings Nov-90
23 Taylor Doherty 6-foot-5 210 RD Kingston Frontenacs Mar-91
24 Jimmy Bubnick 6-foot-3 195 RC Kamloops Blazers Jan-91
25 Toni Rajala 5-foot-10 172 LW Ilves Mar-91
26 Stefan Elliot 6-foot-2 190 RD Saskatoon Jan-91
27 Landon Ferraro 6-feet 182 LW Red Deer Rebels Aug-91
28 Anton Burdasov 6-foot-3 195 RW Chelyabinsk May-91
29 Ethan Werek 6-foot-3 195 LW Kingston Frontenacs Jun-91
30 Drew Shore 6-foot-3 194 RW US Under 18's Mar-91

WellPlayed
10-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Would be nice and pretty cool to build our team around the Schenn brothers...

Cheech
10-03-2008, 10:44 AM
His brother Braeden, is a very good hockey player as well. I really liked him whenever kelowna played Brandon, I think it would be a good duo, the Schenn brothers!

LeafsFanInOttawa
10-03-2008, 12:07 PM
So if you guys had the first, second or third overall pick, would you trade down to get Schenn?

I'd be very happy with Tavares or Hedman or even Paajarvi (which I'm surprised that he dropped on that list).

Artnes
10-03-2008, 12:09 PM
As much as I like Schenn, I think if we have the chance to get Tavares or Hedman you go for it.

ForeverTML
10-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Well, seeing how we're ranked 30th in the SI pre-regular season Power Rankings, we're pretty much a lock to get Tavares or Hedman.

All kidding aside, I think we finish in the bottom 6 this year and get a pretty darn good forward.

HolyPuck
10-03-2008, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't mind a speed devil like Duchene.

Volcanologist
10-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Looks like we'll get a good player as long as we finish in the bottom 5 or 6, which we are virtually assured to do.

hockeylover
10-03-2008, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't mind a speed devil like Duchene.

Went down to see him tonight and he was exceptional - 'course, I'm biased. That's two wins for the Battalion so far this season and he was the first star in both of them. Scored a beauty goal walking out from behind the net and putting it top shelf and added a helper with one of the more spectacular assists I've seen. They beat Owen Sound 3-2. I know he was excited that Gratchev has been sent back by the Rangers and that he's now able to have the big Russian on his line.

zeke
10-12-2008, 01:02 AM
Goalies

J.Pogge (22, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 3gms, 1-1-1, 1.95gaa, 0so, .935sv%

J.Reimer (20, ECHL): (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=89975) 1gms, 1-0-0, 2.00gaa, 0so, .926sv%

Defensemen

L.Schenn (19, NHL): (http://www.nhl.com/ice/app) 5gms, 0gls, 0pts, -2

A.Stralman (22, NHL): (http://www.nhl.com/ice/app) 3gms, 0gls, 0pts, +2

S.Kronwall (25, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 3gms, 1gls, 2pts, +3

P.Oreskovic (21, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 2gms, 0gls, 0pts, +1

D.Vorobiev (23, KHL): (http://www.hclada.ru/db/?player=309) 16gms, 2gls, 8pts, +9

Forwards

J.Tlusty (20, NHL): (http://www.nhl.com/ice/app) 5gms, 0gls, 0pts, -2

N.Kulemin (22, NHL): (http://www.nhl.com/ice/app) 5gms, 2gs, 2pts, -1

M.Grabovski (24, NHL): (http://www.nhl.com/ice/app) 5gms, 0gls, 0pts, -1

J.Mitchell (23, NHL): (http://www.nhl.com/ice/app) 5gms, 0gls, 1pts, -2

K.Newbury (26, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 3gms, 2gls, 3pts, +2

J.Williams (24, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 3gms, 0gls, 1pts, +1

R.Earl (23, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 3gms, 0gls, 1pts, -1

C.Rau (21, NCAA): (http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.php/colorado-college-tigers/mens-college-hockey/team,24/season,20082009/gender,m/sort,PTS.html) 4gms, 3gls, 8pts

T.Ruegsegger (20, NCAA): (http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.php/denver-pioneers/mens-college-hockey/team,32/season,20082009/gender,m/sort,PTS.html) 3gms, 2gls, 5pts

J.Hayes (19, NCAA): (http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.php/boston-college-eagles/mens-college-hockey/season,20082009/team,bc/gender,m.html) 2gms, 0gls, 1pts

C.Didomenico (19, QMJHL): (http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_fr/index.php?page=11194745&typ=reg&an=0809&v=v2&report=PlayersRecordsPerTeam&filter_id=SNB&subfilter_id=) 9gms, 4gls, 14pts, +7

D.Mitchell (19, OHL): (http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/player.php?id=4306) 10gms, 7gls, 14pts, +10

M.Stefanovich (19, QMJHL): (http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_fr/index.php?page=11194745&typ=reg&an=0809&v=v2&report=PlayersRecordsPerTeam&filter_id=Que&subfilter_id=) 8gms, 3gls, 8pts, +1

J.Champagne (18, QMJHL): (http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_fr/index.php?page=11194745&typ=reg&an=0809&v=v2&report=PlayersRecordsPerTeam&filter_id=Chi&subfilter_id=) 8gms, 3gls, 5pts, -3

J.Flaake (18, DEL): (http://www.haie.de/index.php?playerId=340&type=player) 14gms, 0gls, 1pts, +1

WellPlayed
10-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Tavares with 18 points in 10 games so far...11 of them goals.

hockeylover
10-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Someone took a photo of this jersey waiting to be picked up at Centre Sports yesterday...

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp52/JasonTFC/Picture222.jpg

Now that is one dedicated member of Tank Nation. :lol More money than brains.

hockeylover
10-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Latest ISS Rankings!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh119/lovetheleafs/ISS.jpg

MindzEye
10-15-2008, 11:06 PM
C'mon 30th overall and friendly lottery balls.....

hockeylover
10-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Evander Kane - Vancouver, WHL
10GP 9G 11A 20PTS

John Tavares - Oshawa, OHL
11GP 12G 7A 19PTS

Ryan Ellis - Windsor, OHL (He's a defenseman!)
10GP 5G 11A 16PTS

Taylor Hall - Windsor, OHL (Eligible 2010)
10GP 5G 10A 15 PTS

Nazem Kadri - London, OHL
10GP 5G 7A 12 PTS

Jimmy Bubnick - Kamloops, WHL
11GP 9G 3A 12PTS

Landon Ferraro - Red Deer, WHL (Ray Ferraro's son)
11GP 6G 5A 11PTS

Matt Duchene - Brampton, OHL
9GP 5G 4A 9PTS

Tomas Vincour - Edmonton, WHL
12GP 3G 6A 9PTS

Brayden Schenn - Brandon, WHL
10GP 4G 4A 9PTS

MindzEye
10-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Evander Kane could be the greatest name in hockey history.

hockeylover
10-16-2008, 12:30 AM
http://cluster.leaguestat.com/download.php?client_code=whl&file_path=img/players/24816.jpg

MindzEye
10-16-2008, 12:42 AM
1st overall 2010 I'm guessing?

hockeylover
10-16-2008, 12:48 AM
No, Kane's eligible this year if I'm not mistaken.

Taylor Hall is probably pegged for first in 2010 at this point anyway.

mbow30
10-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Evander "The Real Deal" Kane > John "JT" Tavares

MindzEye
10-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Kane is scoring 2 PPG in the W, and isn't listed top 15 by the ISS?

After looking at his hockeydb profile, he had a decent rookie year, but nothing incredible...so I guess he's kind of coming out of nowhere here.

Small as well. 160 pounds?

hockeylover
10-16-2008, 01:05 AM

It's still pretty early.

mbow30
10-16-2008, 01:19 AM
ISS has a well known racial bias.

johnunit
10-16-2008, 07:28 AM

After looking at his hockeydb profile, he had a decent rookie year, but nothing incredible...so I guess he's kind of coming out of nowhere here.

Small as well. 160 pounds?

he's grown since then. More like 6'1 180ish.

Montana
10-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Latest ISS Rankings!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh119/lovetheleafs/ISS.jpg

hockeylover, as of right now, at what number do you see a drop off in "elite" talent?

I assume if we get any of those top 5, we'd have to be happy, anyone else worth keeping an eye on, who could be a significant franchise type player we could build around going forward?

hockeylover
10-16-2008, 10:11 AM
hockeylover, as of right now, at what number do you see a drop off in "elite" talent?

I assume if we get any of those top 5, we'd have to be happy, anyone else worth keeping an eye on, who could be a significant franchise type player we could build around going forward?

Most of the rankings released so far have had more or less the same Top 6.

Bobby Mac (TSN) - Hedman, Tavares, Cowen, Duchene, Schenn, MSP, Kadri, Schroeder, Kane, Leblanc
Mark Seidel (CSS) - Tavares, Hedman, Cowen, Schenn, Duchene, Schroeder, Paajarvi, Kadri, Morin, Kivisto (Kane 11th)
ISS - Tavares, Hedman, Paajarvi, Duchene, Schenn, Cowen, Schroeder, Panik, Kadri, Rajala

I haven't seen Red Line Report's or McKeen's rankings yet.

This was the voting when Bobby Mac did his NHL scouts poll:

1. Victor Hedman, Defence (96 points)
2. John Tavares, Forward (93 points)
3. Jared Cowen, Defence (73 points)
4. Matt Duchene, Forward (68 points)
5. Brayden Schenn, Forward (60 points)
6. Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi, Forward (57 points)
7. Nazem Kadri, Forward (30 points)
8. Jordan Schroeder, Forward (22 points)
9. Evander Kane, Forward (14 points)
10. Louis Leblanc, Forward (10 points)

I'd say there's a clear Top 6 at this point.

Montana
10-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Most of the rankings released so far have had more or less the same Top 6.

Bobby Mac (TSN) - Hedman, Tavares, Cowen, Duchene, Schenn, MSP, Kadri, Schroeder, Kane, Leblanc
Mark Seidel (CSS) - Tavares, Hedman, Cowen, Schenn, Duchene, Schroeder, Paajarvi, Kadri, Morin, Kivisto (Kane 11th)
ISS - Tavares, Hedman, Paajarvi, Duchene, Schenn, Cowen, Schroeder, Panik, Kadri, Rajala

I haven't seen Red Line Report's or McKeen's rankings yet.

This was the voting when Bobby Mac did his NHL scouts poll:

1. Victor Hedman, Defence (96 points)
2. John Tavares, Forward (93 points)
3. Jared Cowen, Defence (73 points)
4. Matt Duchene, Forward (68 points)
5. Brayden Schenn, Forward (60 points)
6. Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi, Forward (57 points)
7. Nazem Kadri, Forward (30 points)
8. Jordan Schroeder, Forward (22 points)
9. Evander Kane, Forward (14 points)
10. Louis Leblanc, Forward (10 points)

I'd say there's a clear Top 6 at this point.

If we were picking today........say 3rd overall, and Hedman and Tavares are gone, do any of the remaining guys intrigue you as potential franchise players?........moreso than say a Filatov, from this past draft?

hockeylover
10-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I guess if you want a forward, I'd have a difficult time trying to decide between Duchene, Schenn, and Paajarvi.

MSP is apparently ripping up the SEL as a 17 year old. He has 8 points in 11 games. The most points in a season a 17 year old has ever scored in the SEL is 21.

I'm biased about Duchene though. He'll impress at the combine. If I'm a scout and I'm talking to him, I see future captain material.

mbow30
10-16-2008, 10:59 AM
We have to get either Brayden Schenn or Evander Kane. I have 0 interest in any other prospect. It we do not get one of those two, the 2008-09 season and 2009 draft will be a waste.

zeke
10-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Stefanovich with another goal, assist.....plus a sweet deke for the game-winning shootout goal.

I still don't understand how a kid with this much talent (and with a solid rookie performance last year) dropped this far down the draft.

What a great pick.

zeke
10-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Oh, and we're not finishing in the bottom-6 this year.

hockeylover
10-16-2008, 11:39 AM
We have to get either Brayden Schenn or Evander Kane. I have 0 interest in any other prospect. It we do not get one of those two, the 2008-09 season and 2009 draft will be a waste.

B. Schenn is the guy I want, but mind expanding on this? Why no interest in ANY of the other prospects?

ForeverTML
10-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Teams that have the potential to be worse than the leafs:

1) Isles
2) Columbus
3) Los Angeles
4) Tampa
5) Florida
6) Atlanta

But you can presumably switch any of the above teams with the leafs. Its not really easy to argue that the leafs will be better than any of the aforementioned teams that are pretty much "rebuilding" as well.

leafman101
10-16-2008, 12:20 PM
**** a top 10 pick. Make the playoffs and take Evander "Real Deal" Kane. How anyone could want another prospect is beyond me. Eat your heart out Pelle Eklund.

ForeverTML
10-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Ive read Evander Kane being compared to a younger Iginla. (No, not because they are both black but by their playing styles: tenacious and hardworking).

I really believe this kid is going to skyrocket in the rankings after scouts have seen him play.

mbow30
10-16-2008, 12:37 PM
B. Schenn is the guy I want, but mind expanding on this? Why no interest in ANY of the other prospects?

Because it means that the Leafs are either led by the Brothers Schenn, or THE REAL DEAL.

Either is good for me. But screw the rest.

Factinista
10-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Well I'd forget about Schenn and hope that Evander is available in the bottom 16 picks, CAUSE THAT'S WHERE WE'RE DRAFTING BABY.

PlayerToBeNamedLater
10-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Based on what I've seen for far, I'd rate the Leafs top 5 prospects like this:

1. Schenn
2. Tlusty
3. Kulemin
4. Pogge
5. Stralman

MindzEye
10-16-2008, 03:19 PM
We finish last and draft hometown boy JT...He wins the Calder next year with a 100 point season.....

mbow30
10-16-2008, 03:22 PM
We finish last and draft hometown boy JT...He wins the Calder next year with a 100 point season.....

That would possibly be the worst outcome of all because then we would lose out on having the real deal.

MindzEye
10-16-2008, 03:26 PM
That would possibly be the worst outcome of all because then we would lose out on having the real deal.

Stop being a moron, moron. "Too Cold" John Tavares >>> "Real Deal" Evander Kane

we need to find a way to get both though, Evander Kane is such an awesome name that I would skip the traditional practice of just getting a player's last name on a jersey, and go for the full "Evander Kane".

PlayerToBeNamedLater
10-16-2008, 03:32 PM
'Evander' should on the back of his jersey -- like Yao.

mbow30
10-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Stop putting your selfish desires over the needs of this hockey team.

The Leafs don't need John Tavares, the Leafs need Evander Kane.

mbow30
10-16-2008, 03:34 PM
'Evander' should on the back of his jersey -- like Yao.

No.
Real Deal should be on the back of her jersey, like He Hate Me.

PlayerToBeNamedLater
10-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Evander 'the Real Deal, 'Pimp Daddy' Kane

It will be shaped like an upsidedown U on his jersey like Houshmandzadeh.

Artnes
10-16-2008, 03:46 PM
I only want him if we can have Michael Buffer as our announcer

MindzEye
10-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Stop putting your selfish desires over the needs of this hockey team.

The Leafs don't need John Tavares, the Leafs need Evander Kane.

Too Cold >>> Real Deal

Nuff Said.

MindzEye
10-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Evander 'the Real Deal, 'Pimp Daddy' Kane

It will be shaped like an upsidedown U on his jersey like Houshmandzadeh.

May I be able to humbly suggest Evander "Big Daddy" Kane as a reasonable alternative?

PlayerToBeNamedLater
10-16-2008, 03:55 PM
May I be able to humbly suggest Evander "Big Daddy" Kane as a reasonable alternative?

Evander 'Real Daddy' Kane.

I think that's a good compromise.

MindzEye
10-16-2008, 03:58 PM
There's only one way to settle this

http://www.lataco.com/taco/wp-content/uploads/big-daddy-kane.jpg

Vs

http://images.truelifewellness.com/local/5002/Evander_Holyfield.jpg

In a badass off

PlayerToBeNamedLater
10-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Don King >

MindzEye
10-16-2008, 04:12 PM
It's Evander Kane though, not Evander King...that would be awesome all by itself.

Montana
10-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Evander Holyfield Vs Dwight Muhammad Qawi = Epic.

mbow30
10-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Too Cold >>> Real Deal

Nuff Said.

that's preposterous

MindzEye
10-16-2008, 04:33 PM
That's fine, I'll wait for the truth to settle in. You can apologize for your foolishness by PM or publicly, whichever you prefer.

mbow30
10-16-2008, 04:34 PM
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/9416/00001aw6.jpg

MindzEye
10-16-2008, 04:35 PM
That's right.....apologize

mbow30
10-16-2008, 04:36 PM
The Real Deal don't apologize.

MindzEye
10-16-2008, 04:39 PM
If he ever even dreams that he's better than Too Cold, he should.

axlsalinger
10-16-2008, 07:48 PM
There's only one way to settle this

http://www.lataco.com/taco/wp-content/uploads/big-daddy-kane.jpg

Vs

http://images.truelifewellness.com/local/5002/Evander_Holyfield.jpg

In a badass offhttp://img235.imageshack.us/img235/7692/zoolanderfacecp7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Derek Zoolander: What say we settle this on the runway...

hockeylover
10-17-2008, 10:49 PM
DiDomenico (Saint John, QMJHL): 8gp 4g 8a 12pts +6
Mitchell (Windsor, OHL): 8 gp 6g 5a 11pts
Stefanovich (Quebec, QMJHL): 8gp 3g 5a 8pts +1

MindzEye
10-17-2008, 10:54 PM
A strong start by all 3, very encouraging.

ForeverTML
10-17-2008, 10:57 PM
I want for the leafs to get MSP. This kid sounds awesome from what Iv heard around the net. Going to be interesting though to watch him in this years WJC.

hockeylover
10-17-2008, 11:04 PM
What MSP is doing in the SEL is pretty damn impressive. And he had a sensational Ivan Hlinka tourney. His stock should rise accordingly.

hockeylover
10-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Schenn had 1 goal, 2 assists for Brandon tonight, wearing the A for Brandon this year. Wheat Kings win 5-1.

Kadri with 2 goals in a 6-5 win over Owen Sound tonight. Also wearing an A for the Knights.

Ryan Ellis and Dale Mitchell each had 1 goal and 1 assist for the Spitfires as they defeat the 67s 5-3. Ryan Ellis, a defenseman, has 5 goals, 11 assists for 16 points in 10 games, good for 2nd in the OHL in scoring behind John Tavares (12g, 7a, 19 pts in 11gp).

Tavares had a goal and an assist as the Gens fall 8-6 to the Sarnia Sting.

zeke
10-19-2008, 11:24 AM
as best I can tell, the Marlies lines at the moment are:

Bell - Stapleton - Williams
Earl - Boyce - Ondrus
Aubin - Newbury - Rogers
Deveaux - Foster - Devereaux

hockeylover
10-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Sunday, October 19th

Matt Duchene - 1 goal, 2 assists vs Mississauga
Nazem Kadri - 1 goal, 2 assists vs Kitchener
Taylor Hall (2010) - 2 goals vs Kingston
Ryan Ellis - 1 goal, 2 assists vs Kingston

John Tavares C - Oshawa, OHL
13GP 14G 9A 23 PTS

Ryan Ellis D - Windsor, OHL
13GP 8G 14A 22 PTS

Taylor Hall, F - Windsor, OHL
13GP 7G 12A 19PTS

Nazem Kadri - London, OHL
12GP 8G 9A 17PTS

Matt Duchene - Brampton, OHL
12GP 7G 6A 13PTS

hockeylover
10-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Dale Mitchell - Windsor Spitfires, OHL
11GP 7G 8A 15 PTS
Chad Rau - Colorado College
4 GP 3G 4A 7PTS
Tyler Ruegsegger - Denver
3 GP 2G 3A 5 PTS

zeke
10-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Goalies

J.Pogge (22, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 9gms, 3-4-2, 2.76gaa, 0so, .897sv%

J.Reimer (20, ECHL): (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=89975) 2gms, 1-1-0, 4.20gaa, 0so, .837sv%

Defensemen

S.Kronwall (25, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 5gms, 1gls, 3pts, +1

P.Oreskovic (21, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 9gms, 0gls, 1pts, -1

D.Vorobiev (23, KHL): (http://www.hclada.ru/db/?player=309) 22gms, 3gls, 12pts, +7

Forwards

J.Tlusty (20, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 5gms, 0gls, 2pts, +0

K.Newbury (26, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 10gms, 3gls, 11pts, +1

J.Williams (24, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 10gms, 4gls, 5pts, -4

R.Earl (23, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 5gms, 0gls, 2pts, -2

C.Rau (21, NCAA): (http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.php/colorado-college-tigers/mens-college-hockey/team,24/season,20082009/gender,m/sort,PTS.html) 8gms, 5gls, 11pts

T.Ruegsegger (20, NCAA): (http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.php/denver-pioneers/mens-college-hockey/team,32/season,20082009/gender,m/sort,PTS.html) 7gms, 3gls, 5pts

J.Hayes (19, NCAA): (http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.php/boston-college-eagles/mens-college-hockey/season,20082009/team,bc/gender,m.html) 5gms, 2gls, 3pts

C.Didomenico (19, QMJHL): (http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_fr/index.php?page=11194745&typ=reg&an=0809&v=v2&report=PlayersRecordsPerTeam&filter_id=SNB&subfilter_id=) 15gms, 7gls, 21pts, +9

D.Mitchell (19, OHL): (http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/player.php?id=4306) 16gms, 9gls, 19pts, +10

M.Stefanovich (19, QMJHL): (http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_fr/index.php?page=11194745&typ=reg&an=0809&v=v2&report=PlayersRecordsPerTeam&filter_id=Que&subfilter_id=) 13gms, 6gls, 16pts, +0

J.Champagne (18, QMJHL): (http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_fr/index.php?page=11194745&typ=reg&an=0809&v=v2&report=PlayersRecordsPerTeam&filter_id=Chi&subfilter_id=) 14gms, 7gls, 11pts, -1

zeke
10-20-2008, 12:06 PM
AHL:

- Strong starts from Pogge, Newbury, Kronwall
- weak starts from Williams and Earl

ECHL:

- Strong start from Reimer

NCAA:

- FANTASTIC start from Rau
- Solid starts from Ruegsegger and Hayes

Junior:

- FANTASTIC starts from Didomonico and Mitchell
- Strong starts from Stefanovich and Champagne

Europe:

- Strong start from Vorobiev
- Weak start from Flaake - looks like he's on his way to wasting a year of development thanks to his german team not letting him go

Feyd
10-20-2008, 12:35 PM
What are the chances of Voboriev ever suiting up in a Leaf jersey?

PQ
10-20-2008, 01:19 PM
1/million

PlayerToBeNamedLater
10-20-2008, 01:34 PM
1/million

In the words of the wise Lloyd Christmas, you're saying there's a chance?

hockeylover
10-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Canada Russia Challenge QMJHL Team Announced

Here's the roster for Team QMJHL:

Goaltenders:

Jake Allen, Montreal (STL '08)
Maxime Clermont, Gatineau ('10 draft)
Olivier Roy, Cape Breton ('09 draft)

Défenseurs

Mathieu Brodeur, Cape Breton (PHO '08)
Marc-André Bourdon, Rouyn-Noranda (PHI '08)
Simon Després, St John ('09 draft)
Brandon Gormley, Moncton ('10 draft)
Alex Grant, St John (PIT '07)
Hubert Labrie, Gatineau ('09 draft)
Kevin Marshall, Quebec (PHI '07)
Charles-Olivier Roussel, Shawinigan ('09 draft)
Marco Scandella, Val D'Or (MIN '08)
Yann Sauvé, St John (VAN '08)

Attaquants

Luke Adam, Montreal (BUF '08)
Paul Byron, Gatineau (BUF '07)
Jordan Caron, Rimouski ('09 draft)
Patrice Cormier, Rimouski (NJ '08)
Philippe Cornet, Rimouski (EDM '08)
Nicolas Deschamps, Chicoutimi (ANA '08)
Christopher DiDomenico, St John (TOR '07)
Angelo Esposito, Montreal (PIT '07 / ATL)
Olivier Fortier, Rimouski (MTL '07)
Dave Labrecque, Shawinigan (Undrafted in '08, '09 draft)
Logan MacMillan, Halifax (ANA '07)
Maxime Sauvé, Val D'Or (BOS '08)
Kelsey Tessier, Quebec (COL '08)

MindzEye
10-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Do they perhaps play a different game in the Q? That's a lot of defenders.

hairnova
10-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Some of the guys only play in one of the games.

MindzEye
10-22-2008, 05:59 PM
And that explains it.

Thanks

hockeylover
10-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Taylor Hall has 2 goals and 3 assists tonight in a 5-3 win over PTBO to take the OHL scoring lead from JT.

Hall 14GP 24 PTS
Tavares 13GP 23 PTS
Ellis 14GP 23 PTS
DiBenedetto 8GP 22PTS
Hishon 11GP 18PTS

ForeverTML
10-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Dont know if this has been posted yet:

ISS top 30 (Updated 15 Oct 08)

Rank Player's Name DOB Team League Pos S/C Ht. Wt.
1 Hedman, Victor Dec 18/90 Modo SweJE LD L 6.06 220
2 Tavares, John Sep 20/90 Oshawa OHL C L 6.00 198
3 Cowen, Jared Jan 25/91 Spokane WHL LD L 6.05 218
4 Duchene, Matt Jan 16/91 Brampton OHL C L 5.11 198
5 Svensson-Paajarvi, Magnus Apr 12/91 Timra SweJE LW L 6.01.5 200
6 Schenn, Brayden Aug 22/91 Brandon WHL C L 6.00 196
7 Schroeder, Jordan Sep 29/90 Uof MN WCHA RW R 5.08 165
8 Kadri, Nazem Oct 06/90 London OHL C L 6.01 177
9 Panik, Richard Feb 07/91 Trin CzeJr C R 6.02 185
10 Morin, Jeremy Apr 16/91 USA18 NTDP C R 5.10 160
11 Bubnick, Jimmy Jan 19/91 Kamloops WHL RW R 6.02 189
12 Shore, Drew Jan 29/91 USA18 NTDP C R 6.02 198
13 Kane, Evander Aug 01/91 Vancouver WHL C L 5.11 160
14 Lander, Anton Apr 24/91 Timra SweJE LW L 6.00 187
15 Rajala, Toni Mar 29/91 Ilves FinJrA LW L 5.09 161
16 Elliott, Stefan Jan 30/91 Saskatoon WHL LD R 6.01 184
17 Kassian, Zack Jan 24/91 Peterborough OHL RW R 6.03 205
18 Josefson, Jacob Mar 02/91 Djurg SweJE C L 6.00 187
19 Gilbert, David Feb 09/91 Quebec QMJHL C L 6.01 184
20 Doherty, Taylor Mar 02/91 Kingston OHL RD R 6.08 218
21 Ellis, Ryan Jan 03/91 Windsor OHL RD R 5.10 173
22 Ferraro, Landon Aug 08/91 Red Deer WHL RW R 6.00 170
23 Kivisto, Tommi Jun 07/91 Red Deer WHL RD L 6.01.5 192
24 Budish, Zach May 09/91 Edina MN-HS C R 6.02.5 229
25 Helgeson, Seth Oct 08/90 Sioux City USHL LD L 6.03 220
26 Holland, Peter Jan 14/91 Guelph OHL C L 6.02 190
27 Leblanc, Louis Jan 26/91 Omaha USHL C R 5.11 170
28 Caron, Jordan Nov 02/90 Rimouski QMJHL C L 6.02 201
29 Olsen, Dylan Jan 03/91 Camrose AJHL LD L 6.02 195
30 Klingberg, Carl Jan 28/91 Fro SweJE LW R 6.03 205

RISING

Evander Kane - Vancouver (WHL)
Position: C Height: 6.00 Weight: 165
Kane is a sniper. He consistently scores goals and sees the ice well. He is very dangerous from the blueline in. He is smart around the net, finds the open ice and can score several ways. Good hands. Gives and receives passes well. Kane's fearlessness and competitive fire are part of what makes him so enticing to NHL clubs, along, of course, with his burgeoning skill set.

Magnus Svensson - Paajarvi Timra IK Jr.
Position: LW Height: 6.01.5 Weight: 200
After his outstanding performance at the 2008 U18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial, Paajarvi has emerged as a bona fide top five pick for the upcoming 2009 NHL draft. He loves to dangle and is arguably one of the most skilled players available in the draft. Has the peed/quickness to gain separation and back defenders off. He has excellent scoring instincts and tremendous puckhandling skills. Has soft, quick hands and is very dangerous around the net. Feet will be an asset. Potential star. This is a player to watch.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/10622/iss_top302009_prospects_october

zeke
10-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Marlies Scoring:

K.Newbury (26): 7gms, 2gls, 7pts, +2 (82gms, 23gls, 82pts, +23)
A.Deveaux (24): 7gms, 5gls, 6pts, +1 (82gms, 59gls, 70pts, +12
M.Bell (28): 7gms, 1gls, 5pts, -2 (82gms, 12gls, 59pts, +12)

T.Stapleton (25): 7gms, 1gls, 5pts, -1 (82gms, 12gls, 59pts, -12
B.Aubin (22): 6gms, 2gls, 4pts, +0 (82gms, 27gls, 55pts)
S.Giliati (21): 3gms, 0gls, 2pts, +1 (82gms, 0gls, 55pts, +27)

D.Boyce (24): 7gms, 2gls, 4pts, -1 (82gms, 23gls, 47pts, -12)
J.Tlusty (20): 2gms, 0gls, 1pts, +1 (82gms, 0gls, 41pts, +41)
A.Foster (24): 7gms, 0gs, 3pts, -1 (82gms, 0gls, 35pts, -12)

R.Earl (23): 5gms, 0gls, 2pts, -2 (82gms, 0gls, 33pts, -33)
J.Williams (24): 7gms, 2gls, 2pts, -2 (82gms, 23gls, 23pts, -23)
B.Ondrus (26): 7gms, 1gls, 1pts, -2 (82gms, 12gls, 12pts, -23)

B.Devereaux (30): 7gms, 1gls, 1pts, -3 (82gms, 12gls, 12pts, -35)
B.Battaglia (33): 1gms, 1gls, 1pts, +1 (82gms, 82gls, 82pts, +82)

J.Sifers (25): 6gms, 1gls, 4pts, +2 (82gms, 14gls, 55pts, +27)
S.Kronwall (25): 5gms, 1gls, 3pts, +1 (82gms, 16gls, 49pts, +16)

R.Petiot (26): 7gms, 1gls, 3pts, -3 (82gms, 12gls, 35pts, -35)
J.Uotila (23): 6gms, 0gls, 2pts, -5 (82gms, 0gls, 27pts, -68)

P.Oreskovic (21): 6gms, 0gls, 1pts, +0 (82gms, 0gls, 14pts, +0)
P.Boumedienne (30): 1gms, 0gls, 0pts, -1 (82gms, 0gls, 0pts, -82)

T.Perry (22): 5gms, 0gls, 0pts, +0 (82gms, 0gls, 0pts, +0)
A.Schneider (27): 6gms, 0gls, 0pts, +0 (82gms, 0gls, 0pts, +0)

J.Pogge (22): 3-3-0, 3.01gaa, .892sv%, 0so
A.Munro (26): 0-0-0, 6.14gaa, .842sv%, 0so

johnunit
10-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Every game I've watched, I've been impressed with Andre Deveaux. If Mayers goes down, or even Hollweg, I'd seriously consider trying Deveaux out in a pure enforcer roll. Tough as hell and can actually play the game too, which I was not expecting. I believe he's from Toronto too, which is always a plus.

zeke
10-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I've been shocked with him - he has 5 goals in 7 games and deserves it. I thought he was just a goon, but he's got real hands and puck skills.

Nice hattrick for him today.

ForeverTML
10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Chad Rau is absolutely ripping it up in the NCAA this year:

Chad Rau:
6 GP 5 G 5 A 10 PTS

To compare:
James Van Riemsdyk:
5 GP 3 G 2 A 5 PTS

Colin Wilson:
5 GP 1 G 5 A 6 PTS

But to put it in perspective, Rau is in his last year at college. His stats actually look eerily similar to Paul Stastny's from the USHL days onwards (Stastny did leave a bit earlier). :smilewinkgrin:

hockeylover
11-01-2008, 11:54 AM
OHL SCORING
1. Ryan Ellis, D, Windsor
17GP 9G 22A 31PTS

2. Taylor Hall, F, Windsor *2010 eligible
17GP 11G 19A 30PTS

3. John Tavares, F, Oshawa
15GP 14G 12A 26PTS

4. Justin DiBenedetto, F, Sarnia
10GP 11G 13A 24PTS

5. Nazem Kadri, F, London
16GP 11G 13A 24PTS

Other 2009 Draft Elig.

Evander Kane, F, Vancouver (WHL)
14GP 10G 16A 26PTS

Matt Duchene, C, Brampton (OHL)
14GP 8G 9A 17PTS

Tyson Barrie, Kelowna (WHL)
17GP 5G 15A 20PTS *What do you think the chances are that the Lightning and father Len Barrie pick him in the draft?

Brayden Schenn, Brandon (WHL)
16GP 8G 8A 16PTS

Jimmy Bubnick, Kamloops (WHL)
18GP 11G 6A 17PTS

Landon Ferraro, Red Deer (WHL)
19GP 9G 7A 16PTS

johnunit
11-01-2008, 12:09 PM
That's pretty remarkable that the top 3 leading scorers are undrafted.

JaysCyYoung
11-01-2008, 01:17 PM
What's even more remarkable is that Ellis, a defenceman, is leading the O in scoring. He was projected as a mid-first rounder before the season began but I think he's more talented than Doughty quite frankly, and Drew went second overall this year. 2009 is a much deeper draft overall though.

zeke
11-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Newbury should be in the NHL.

hockeylover
11-02-2008, 03:13 PM
So I'm watching Windsor vs Oshawa.

Oshawa was up 2-0 and now Windsor's up 3-2 on goals by Taylor Hall, Ryan Ellis (beauty shot!) and Andrew Yogan (fantastic effort by our own Dale Mitchell and Yogan put in the rebound).

Good game.

hockeylover
11-02-2008, 10:19 PM
OHL SCORING

1. Taylor Hall
13 goals, 20 assists for 33 points in 18 games played

2. Ryan Ellis
10 goals, 23 points for 33 points in 18 games played

3. John Tavares
14 goals, 13 assists for 27 points in 17 games played

Evander Kane is 3rd in WHL scoring and has 11 goals, 17 assists for 28 points in 15 games played.

zeke
11-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Goalies

J.Pogge (22, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 10gms, 3-5-2, 2.99gaa, 0so, .889sv%

J.Reimer (20, ECHL): (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=89975) 4gms, 2-1-0, 3.24gaa, 0so, .882sv%

Defensemen

S.Kronwall (25, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 5gms, 1gls, 3pts, +1

P.Oreskovic (21, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 10gms, 0gls, 1pts, -2

D.Vorobiev (23, KHL): (http://www.hclada.ru/db/?player=309) 22gms, 3gls, 13pts, +7

Forwards

J.Tlusty (20, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 5gms, 0gls, 2pts, +0

K.Newbury (26, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 11gms, 4gls, 12pts, +1

J.Williams (24, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 10gms, 4gls, 5pts, -4

R.Earl (23, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 5gms, 0gls, 2pts, -2

C.Rau (21, NCAA): (http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.php/colorado-college-tigers/mens-college-hockey/team,24/season,20082009/gender,m/sort,PTS.html) 10gms, 5gls, 13pts

T.Ruegsegger (20, NCAA): (http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.php/denver-pioneers/mens-college-hockey/team,32/season,20082009/gender,m/sort,PTS.html) 9gms, 4gls, 6pts

J.Hayes (19, NCAA): (http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.php/boston-college-eagles/mens-college-hockey/season,20082009/team,bc/gender,m.html) 7gms, 2gls, 3pts

C.Didomenico (19, QMJHL): (http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_fr/index.php?page=11194745&typ=reg&an=0809&v=v2&report=PlayersRecordsPerTeam&filter_id=SNB&subfilter_id=) 18gms, 7gls, 25pts, +7

D.Mitchell (19, OHL): (http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/player.php?id=4306) 19gms, 10gls, 21pts, +8

M.Stefanovich (19, QMJHL): (http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_fr/index.php?page=11194745&typ=reg&an=0809&v=v2&report=PlayersRecordsPerTeam&filter_id=Que&subfilter_id=) 16gms, 6gls, 18pts, -1

J.Champagne (18, QMJHL): (http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_fr/index.php?page=11194745&typ=reg&an=0809&v=v2&report=PlayersRecordsPerTeam&filter_id=Chi&subfilter_id=) 17gms, 7gls, 12pts, -3

Artnes
11-03-2008, 01:47 PM
What's up with Pogge?

I haven't been keeping track of the Marlies, but how does the team look compared to last years?

zeke
11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Pogge started slow, but seems to be picking it up. He was great yesterday.

The Marlies have been up and down, which I guess isn't surprising given all the turnover on the roster. Personally, I think they compare pretty well to last year's squad, but some disagree.

hockeylover
11-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Red Line Report

1. Victor Hedman
2. John Tavares
3. Jared Cowen
4. Brayden Schenn
5. Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi
6. Matt Duchene
7. Nazem Kadri
8. Evander Kane
9. Tommi Kivist
10. Dmitri Kulikov

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2008-10-23-red-line_N.htm

hockeylover
11-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Cody Hodgson scored 4 goals as the Brampton Battalion defeated the Plymouth Whalers 8-4. Matt Duchene had 2 goals and 2 assists.

Peterborough defeated Oshawa 10-2 tonight. John Tavares had 1 goal in the loss.

Taylor Hall had 2 goals and Ryan Ellis had 2 assists in Windsor's 5-4 victory over the 67s. Hall now has 15 goals, 20 assists for 35 points in 19 games - Ellis has 10 goals 25 assists for 35 points as well.

MindzEye
11-09-2008, 04:18 AM
An article on German prospect Jerome Flaake

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/10673/flaake_tasting_canada_at2008_wjac/

"I want to come to Canada and play but I have a contract in Cologne. After my contract I will come here to play in Canada," he confirmed. "After this season I have one season more but I might have a chance to get out of the contract."

If he can negotiate his release, Flaake would like to transfer to Canada to play major junior and his rights have already been picked up in last year's CHL Import Draft.

"I was drafted by Prince George in the Western Hockey League so if I can go to the junior leagues I will go there," he smiled. "I hope [to be there next year], that would be great."

He's struggled in the German Elite League this season, so Cologne letting him out of his contract is a real possibility.

And an update on some of our lesser known prospects

Chad Rau - NCAA 9GP 5G 6A 11PTS 2PIM

Dido - QMJHL 16GP 7G 16A 23PTS 22PIM

Holzer - DEL 8GP 1G 1G 2PTS 22PIM

Champagne - QMJHL 16GP 7G 4A 11PTS 22PIM

JaysCyYoung
11-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Champagne's also apparently been a monster in the face-off circle winning well over 60% of his draws. He always reminded me of a smaller, less offensively gifted of the Kings' Brian Boyle. A physical beast with some decent hands and the ability to create some offence. He's looking like a solid selection thus far. Stefanovich is also having a nice season in the Q.

zeke
11-09-2008, 02:19 PM
I liked what I saw of Champagne in rookie camp. Big strong kid with soft hands and good hockey sense.

zeke
11-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Goalies

J.Pogge (22, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 13gms, 5-6-2, 2.84gaa, 0so, .898sv%

J.Reimer (20, ECHL): (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=89975) 4gms, 2-1-0, 3.24gaa, 0so, .882sv%

Defensemen

S.Kronwall (25, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 10gms, 2gls, 7pts, +1

P.Oreskovic (21, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 15gms, 0gls, 1pts, -1

D.Vorobiev (23, KHL): (http://www.hclada.ru/db/?player=309) 25gms, 3gls, 13pts, +5

Forwards

J.Tlusty (20, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 9gms, 1gls, 4pts, +1

K.Newbury (26, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 16gms, 5gls, 17pts, +3

J.Williams (24, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 13gms, 8gls, 10pts, -3

R.Earl (23, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 10gms, 0gls, 2pts, -4

C.Rau (21, NCAA): (http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.php/colorado-college-tigers/mens-college-hockey/team,24/season,20082009/gender,m/sort,PTS.html) 14gms, 9gls, 20pts

T.Ruegsegger (20, NCAA): (http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.php/denver-pioneers/mens-college-hockey/team,32/season,20082009/gender,m/sort,PTS.html) 13gms, 4gls, 7pts

J.Hayes (19, NCAA): (http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.php/boston-college-eagles/mens-college-hockey/season,20082009/team,bc/gender,m.html) 11gms, 6gls, 8pts

C.Didomenico (19, QMJHL): (http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_fr/index.php?page=11194745&typ=reg&an=0809&v=v2&report=PlayersRecordsPerTeam&filter_id=SNB&subfilter_id=) 20gms, 8gls, 26pts, +6

D.Mitchell (19, OHL): (http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/player.php?id=4306) 22gms, 10gls, 25pts, +11

M.Stefanovich (19, QMJHL): (http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_fr/index.php?page=11194745&typ=reg&an=0809&v=v2&report=PlayersRecordsPerTeam&filter_id=Que&subfilter_id=) 21gms, 8gls, 21pts, +1

J.Champagne (18, QMJHL): (http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_fr/index.php?page=11194745&typ=reg&an=0809&v=v2&report=PlayersRecordsPerTeam&filter_id=Chi&subfilter_id=) 21gms, 9gls, 15pts, -3

ForeverTML
11-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Good stats on Vorobiev. But... from what Ive read and heard, he shouldnt really be considered a leaf prospect anymore. He seems content on staying in Russia unless the leafs guarantee him a spot on the d corps on the big clup, which by the looks of it is going to be overflowing unless a big trade is made.

I think we officially lose our rights to him by the end of this NHL season, and he is free to sign with another team IIRC. Correct me if Im wrong though.

johnunit
11-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Good stats on Vorobiev. But... from what Ive read and heard, he shouldnt really be considered a leaf prospect anymore. He seems content on staying in Russia unless the leafs guarantee him a spot on the d corps on the big clup, which by the looks of it is going to be overflowing unless a big trade is made.

I think we officially lose our rights to him by the end of this NHL season, and he is free to sign with another team IIRC. Correct me if Im wrong though.
first paragraph is spot on, but we don't lose his rights at all as long as the transfer agreement with Russia is messed up.

MindzEye
11-12-2008, 04:52 PM
I was under the impression that we kept his NHL rights more or less forever under the terms of the old CBA.

Would be nice if we could find a way to get him over here, he's quickly gaining "best defender not in the NHL" status.

ForeverTML
11-12-2008, 05:42 PM
I thought teams had a set time limit on signing drafted players from around the world?

Because it would be kind of unfair to the player to not give him a chance at your club and yet not allowing other teams that are possibly willing to give him a chance to sign him.

But those stats though, again, for a defender in the KHL is nothing less than excellent.

*edit you are both right:

The issue at hand concerns the status of drafted European players who do not sign before June 2 of the second calendar year following their selections. Article 8.6 of the CBA states that clubs lose their rights to such players if they are not signed on or by that date.

[...]

The NHL, however, is claiming that the absence of transfer agreements with European hockey federations renders that portion of the CBA obsolete. It is the league's position that those unsigned players revert to what was known as "defected status" under the CBA that expired on Sept. 15, 2004, and thus remain the property of their drafting clubs forever.

MindzEye
11-12-2008, 05:51 PM
If possible, I'd like to see a few moves made to get Vorobiev over next year. NHL teams are going to have some difficult decisions to make from here on in with good money available in the KHL. If they want to give some of their better young euro's a look, they're going to have to start guaranteeing roster spots. These kids would be insane to pass up on hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in guaranteed contracts to potentially ride the bus in the AHL for 80 grand.

PQ
11-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Vorobiev was left out of team Russia's squad at the Eurotour tournament that was held this past weekend. Not really a "best defender outside the NHL" type of player.

zeke
11-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Vorobiev > PQ

PQ
11-12-2008, 10:52 PM
in terms of playing for the Leafs or team Russia, PQ = Vorobiev

hockeylover
11-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Jimmy Hayes had a great night last night for Boston College.

Hatty, 1 assist, 6 shots.

LeafsFanInOttawa
11-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Jimmy Hayes had a great night last night for Boston College.

Hatty, 1 assist, 6 shots.

Any possibility that he represents Team USA in the World Juniors this year?

hockeylover
11-16-2008, 03:33 PM
He was invited to the Summer Evaluation Camp and is having a pretty good season so far so sure there is a chance.

JaysCyYoung
11-16-2008, 03:36 PM
The Americans would be nuts to leave off a 6'5 behemoth with soft hands. I believe he played for their U-18 team as well so Hayes has a history with the program.

hockeylover
11-16-2008, 04:38 PM
DiDo has been taken off the roster for the QMJHL Canada Russia Challenge. He has an injury. Too bad.

2008 ADT Canada Russia Challenge - Schedule of Games:
Game 1 – Monday, November 17 in Sydney, NS
Game 2 – Wednesday, November 19 in Saint John, NB
Game 3 – Thursday, November 20 in Guelph, ON
Game 4 – Monday, November 24 in St. Catharines, ON
Game 5 – Wednesday, November 26 in Swift Current, SK
Game 6 – Thursday, November 27 in Prince Albert, SK

Watch for the following 2009 draft eligibles and Leaf pick Dale Mitchell from the OHL games: Matt Duchene, Casey Cizakas, Ryan O'Reilly, Nazem Kadri, Taylor Hall, Ryan Ellis, John Tavares

And QMJHL: Simon Despres and Oliver Roy

And from WHL: Evander Kane, Brayden Schenn, Jared Cowen

Tavares was named Captain for the OHL team. I hope Hodgson gets the C for Canada at the WJC.

Hodgson was sent back to the Battalion on October 6th. The Battalion haven't lost since October 11th - 13 straight wins. He has 12 goals, 23 points in his last 10 games.

*EDIT* The Rangers' Evgeni Gratchev scored all four goals in this afternoon's 4-2 win over the Ottawa 67s. Duchene assisted on all four goals. Wow. 14 straight! "Respect the Streak!" is their motto.

JaysCyYoung
11-16-2008, 05:07 PM
True story: I pretended to be Evgeny Grachev on Saturday night while my red-haired buddy (who is a dead-ringer for Brampton goalie Brandon Foote) played the latter. I would occasionally speak in broken English while looking confused most of the time when people asked questions or replied. We were in suits from a charity event so it made it all the more convincing that we were junior players out for the evening after a game, lol.

I'm amazed people could be so gullible. But that's just an aside. Back to your regularly schedule HL prospect updates. ;)

hockeylover
11-16-2008, 05:16 PM
True story: I pretended to be Evgeny Grachev on Saturday night while my red-haired buddy (who is a dead-ringer for Brampton goalie Brandon Foote) played the latter. I would occasionally speak in broken English while looking confused most of the time when people asked questions or replied. We were in suits from a charity event so it made it all the more convincing that we were junior players out for the evening after a game, lol.

I'm amazed people could be so gullible. But that's just an aside. Back to your regularly schedule HL prospect updates. ;)

bahaha.

That's hilarious. I really like Brandon Foote by the way. 9-1 this year with 2 shutouts as a rookie. He's from Whitby, I'm still not sure if there's any relation to Adam Foote but it seems likely.

Pleased to see Duchene rocketing up the OHL scoring chart - 5th now, 31 points in 22 games. 3 back of Tavares and if I know him, that's who he's after.

Wayward DP
11-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Do you know him? Cause that would be pretty cool

hockeylover
11-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Yeah, great kid. Hope he goes to a team I can stand. It'd kill me to see him go to Ottawa or something. :puke:

Pwner
11-16-2008, 06:02 PM
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS: 2008-2009 TOP 12 PROSPECTS

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=256170&lid=sublink03&lpos=headlines_main

trujaysfan
11-16-2008, 08:25 PM
ya i read that story on the TSN, don;t see how Stefonovic(sp) wasn't on the list

hockeylover
11-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Or Ruegsegger.

hockeylover
11-18-2008, 12:08 AM
New rankings!!

ISS TOP 30 as of Nov 17th

1. Hedman
2. Tavares
2. Cowen
3. Duchene
4. Paajarvi
6. Shroeder
7. Kadri
8. Kane
9. Panik
10. Schenn
11. Morin
12. Bubnick
13. Shore
14. Elliott
15. Kassian
16. Ellis
17. Josefson
18. Ferraro
19. Kiviso
20. Leblanc
21. Moore
22. Despres
23. Kulikov
24. Holland
25. Klingberg
26. Doherty
27. Nattinen
28. Lander
29. Haula
30. Rundblad

johnunit
11-18-2008, 12:16 AM
wow. Schenn drops like a rock.

Has Kane cooled down? I thought he was tearing it up.

hairnova
11-18-2008, 12:16 AM
I was kinda surprised to see Schenn at 10 as well.

hockeylover
11-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Has Kane cooled down? I thought he was tearing it up.

Not much that I can tell. 37 points in 21 games. 1.76 ppg.

Taylor Hall has 40 points in 23 games. 1.73 ppg.
Ryan Ellis, 38 in 23.
John Tavares, 36 in 23.
Matt Duchene, 31 in 22.

Schenn had a slow start offensively. You'd expect more from him being last year's WHL rookie of the year and it seems like progression is a big thing with scouts. We'll see though, it's only November. He's at 21 points in 22 games now.

hockeylover
11-18-2008, 12:40 AM
I added some notes.

1. Hedman - out for 3 weeks with a separated shoulder
2. Tavares
2. Cowen
3. Duchene - team is on a 14 game winning streak, 4 points last game
4. Paajarvi
6. Shroeder leads all freshmen in scoring
7. Kadri
8. Kane
9. Panik
10. Schenn
11. Morin
12. Bubnick
13. Shore
14. Elliott
15. Kassian
16. Ellis 2nd in OHL scoring as a defenseman
17. Josefson
18. Ferraro Ray Ferraro's son
19. Kiviso
20. Leblanc Passed on QMJHL for USHL/Harvard
21. Moore
22. Despres
23. Kulikov
24. Holland
25. Klingberg
26. Doherty 6'8" defenseman:eek(16):
27. Nattinen
28. Lander
29. Haula Finnish player for Shattuck St Marys
30. Rundblad

MindzEye
11-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Wow, it would be nice to be able to trade down and still get Brayden Schenn.

Factinista
11-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Still hanging on to the top 5 dreams, eh? Don't stop believin', hold on to that feelin'.

trujaysfan
11-18-2008, 10:21 AM
mabey schenn is trying to fall a little bit so that he will be able to join his brother in Toronto next season?:couch

but i sinceraly doubt thats happening

MindzEye
11-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Still hanging on to the top 5 dreams, eh? Don't stop believin', hold on to that feelin'.

Why wouldn't I ? They've done more to reinforce my assertion since I made that call than anything else.

For those who say we would be 11-4-4 if it wasn't for shitty goaltending, I say that there's very little chance that our offence keeps up this pace over 82, and that it will come to earth at some point in the next month or so. If our offence comes to earth before Toskala shakes out of this slump (assuming he does), this team is in a lot of trouble.

Factinista
11-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Streetlights, people ohh oh ohhhhh!!!

But seriously though, if we can get anything other than the AWFUL goaltending we've had so far we'll be allowing so few goals that we will be able to survive our offense cooling off just a tad. Keep in mind that we were something like 11th in goals-for last year with Mo-Mo coaching, and no matter how much we cool off I don't see us falling behind that with Flip Wilson at the helm.

With how few shots we allow, if we can get even a .900 team save percentage from here on out we'll be laughing.

The only way we finish bottom 5 is if this atrotious goaltending keeps up (which it can't) coupled with our offense cooling off. If we finish bottom 5 it'll be a miracle and the conditions present to make it possible (some record-breaking suckage in net) would be something that nobody could have predicted.

LeafGm
11-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Isn't it funny that prior to the season, most brilliant media pundits in Toronto were claiming that the only thing that would keep the Leafs from finishing in the bottom-5 would be the top-5, star-quality goaltending of Vesa Toskala?

ForeverTML
11-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah, well I remember after end end of last season, Fletcher mentioned how only Toskala and Antropov were the "untradable" ones from the roster.

Im sure he's changed that tune. No one expected Toskala to be like Luongo, thats delusional. But no one expected him to be LITERALLY the worst in the league in some of the categories either.

hockeylover
11-18-2008, 02:25 PM
The only way we finish bottom 5 is if this atrotious goaltending keeps up (which it can't) coupled with our offense cooling off. If we finish bottom 5 it'll be a miracle and the conditions present to make it possible (some record-breaking suckage in net) would be something that nobody could have predicted.

Haven't really been effected by injuries yet either. Though I always thought a Top 10 pick was easily within reach and would do good things for our club with the strength of this draft.

hockeylover
11-18-2008, 02:40 PM
CSS Rankings Released.

OHL Skaters
1. John Tavares, Oshawa
2. Matt Duchene, Brampton
3. Nazem Kadri, London
4. Peter Holland, Guelph
5. Calvin De Haan, Oshawa
6. Zack Kassian, Peterborough
7. Ryan Ellis, Windsor
8. Ryan O'Reilly, Erie
9. Taylor Beck, Guelph
10. Michael Fine, Sault St Marie

Top 5 OHL Goalies
1. Edward Pasquale, Saginaw
2. Scott Stajcer, Owen Sound
3. Chris Perugini, Ottawa
4. Alain Valiquette, Sudbury
5. Peter Di Salvo, Barrie

QMJHL Skaters
1. Simon Despres, Saint John
2. Dmitry Kulikov, Drummondville
3. Gabriel Lemieux, Shawinigan
4. Charles Olivier Roussel, Shawinigan
5. Jordan Caron, Rimouski

QMJHL Goalies
1. Olivier Roy, Cape Breton
2. Jean-Sebastien Boucher, Val d'Or
3. Karel St Laurent, Saint John

WHL Skaters
1. Jared Cowen, Spokane
2. Evander Kane, Vancouver
3. Brayden Schenn, Brandon
4. Scott Glennie, Brandon
5. Stefan Elliott, Saskatoon
6. Carter Ashton, Lethbridge
7. Tommi Kivisto, Red Deer
8. Tyson Barrie, Kelowna
9. Landon Ferraro, Red Deer
10. Ryan Button, Prince Albert

WHL Goalies
1. Nathan Lieuwen, Kootenay
2. Jon Groenheyde, Kamloops
3. Damien Ketlo, Regina
4. Darcy Kuemper, Red Deer
5. Jamie Tucker, Vancouver

ForeverTML
11-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Evander Kane has a 21 game point streak going for him.

The WHL record is apparently a 56 game point streak by Jeff Nelson for the Prince Albert Raiders in 1990-91.

Factinista
11-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Haven't really been effected by injuries yet either. Though I always thought a Top 10 pick was easily within reach and would do good things for our club with the strength of this draft.

True, but we're a young team so chances are we are going to be less injured than most. We also have some nice depth at both forward and D so we are better equipped to handle injuries should they come up.

My preference is to make the playoffs, but failing that I would obviously really like a top 5 pick... I just don't see it happening.

HolyPuck
11-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Are there any star potential Goalies in this years draft?

worm
11-18-2008, 05:02 PM
HL should know.

hairnova
11-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Olivier Roy is going to be really good, but I dunno if he'll be a star or not.

hockeylover
11-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Yeah, Roy's probably the best one. He should go 1st round.

After that... maybe a guy like Mike Lee. He's playing for a USHL expansion team in the Fargo Force. He just led the US to the Gold Medal at the World Junior A Challenge. He only allowed 2 goals total in the semi-finals and final game and was named to the All-Tourney team.

He's 3-5 with a 2.85 GAA and .908 SV%.

hairnova
11-19-2008, 07:17 PM
According to TSN, Oshawa is probably going to trade Tavares this season.

Wonder where he'll go.

hockeylover
11-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Someone was asking about Azevedo the other day...

He made his AHL debut and had 3 assists after returning from his broken wrist.

johnunit
11-19-2008, 10:40 PM
wasn't he someone we were eying signing as an FA? or did he get drafted?

PQ
11-19-2008, 10:59 PM
he was drafted by LA in the 6th round I think

hockeylover
11-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Leafs' prospect Dale Mitchell just scored for the OHL at the ADT Canada Russia Challenge game.

hockeylover
11-20-2008, 09:38 PM
I hope Cody Hodgson is the captain of the WJC team. I love the way this guy carries himself on and off the ice. Pat Quinn seems to love the kid based on the way he used him at the U18s so we'll see.

PP goal, SH goal, the hat trick, and an assist tonight.

zeke
11-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Goalies

J.Pogge (22, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 13gms, 5-6-2, 2.84gaa, 0so, .898sv%

Defensemen

S.Kronwall (25, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 10gms, 2gls, 7pts, +1

P.Oreskovic (21, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 15gms, 0gls, 1pts, -1

D.Vorobiev (23, KHL): (http://www.hclada.ru/db/?player=309) 25gms, 3gls, 13pts, +5

Forwards

J.Tlusty (20, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 9gms, 1gls, 4pts, +1

K.Newbury (26, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 16gms, 5gls, 17pts, +3

J.Williams (24, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 13gms, 8gls, 10pts, -3

R.Earl (23, AHL): (http://www.torontomarlies.com/team/IndividualStatistics.asp) 10gms, 0gls, 2pts, -4

C.Rau (21, NCAA): (http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.php/colorado-college-tigers/mens-college-hockey/team,24/season,20082009/gender,m/sort,PTS.html) 14gms, 9gls, 20pts

T.Ruegsegger (20, NCAA): (http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.php/denver-pioneers/mens-college-hockey/team,32/season,20082009/gender,m/sort,PTS.html) 13gms, 4gls, 7pts

J.Hayes (19, NCAA): (http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.php/boston-college-eagles/mens-college-hockey/season,20082009/team,bc/gender,m.html) 11gms, 6gls, 8pts

C.Didomenico (19, QMJHL): (http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_fr/index.php?page=11194745&typ=reg&an=0809&v=v2&report=PlayersRecordsPerTeam&filter_id=SNB&subfilter_id=) 20gms, 8gls, 26pts, +6

D.Mitchell (19, OHL): (http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/player.php?id=4306) 22gms, 10gls, 25pts, +11

M.Stefanovich (19, QMJHL): (http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_fr/index.php?page=11194745&typ=reg&an=0809&v=v2&report=PlayersRecordsPerTeam&filter_id=Que&subfilter_id=) 21gms, 8gls, 21pts, +1

J.Champagne (18, QMJHL): (http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_fr/index.php?page=11194745&typ=reg&an=0809&v=v2&report=PlayersRecordsPerTeam&filter_id=Chi&subfilter_id=) 21gms, 9gls, 15pts, -3

WellPlayed
11-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Tlustly needs to step it up.

JaysCyYoung
11-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Tlusty keeps logging onto Facebook at absurd times like 3 am so I'm sure that's not helping matters either... yes, I added Jiri as a friend to Facebook.

MindzEye
11-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Want to be first in line for any new pictures eh?