PDA

View Full Version : OT: Movies/TV Shows

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106

Metalleaf
12-14-2015, 09:35 PM
I'm seeing Star Wars twice this weekend. It's my Christmas before Christmas.

JackBurton
12-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Tech company - sending thousands of us. Nice touch if you ask me

In all seriously, that is cool.

JackBurton
12-14-2015, 09:48 PM
BTW I love Bill Murray, but his Netflix Christmas special is horrible.

Metalleaf
12-14-2015, 09:52 PM
It's a Christmas Special...one shouldn't expect much from the beginning.

JackBurton
12-14-2015, 10:04 PM
True. I just thought it was a little too "Traditional" given the talent involved.

Although I would have dirty, dirty sex with Miley Cyrus if given the chance.

Habspatrol
12-14-2015, 10:28 PM
I'm thinking that's the only kind one can have with her.

BKerr
12-14-2015, 10:31 PM
That star trek looks terrible. It's just mindless now.

They've gotten away from what Star Trek was, and now its the same as every other sci-fi action movie with big special effects.

Thats not star trek IMO, Star Trek was about making you think, and some intellectual story telling, while also being set in space....

JackBurton
12-14-2015, 10:34 PM
I'm thinking that's the only kind one can have with her.

She can fart milk in my bowl of Cheerios.

SundinsTooth
12-15-2015, 09:08 AM
So the side stepping of Star Wars spoilers begins.

TimHorton
12-15-2015, 11:27 AM
Howard signs for 5 more years......... good news, and a good Sandler interview today.

MindzEye
12-15-2015, 11:32 AM
Howard signs for 5 more years......... good news, and a good Sandler interview today.

Did Sandler explain why he makes shit now?

TimHorton
12-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Too busy counting his money to care about content

Habspatrol
12-15-2015, 11:36 AM

Great cussing news... Howard's is the best interviewer on the planet and we get at least 5 more years of his brilliance. Mankind with a huge win today.

CH1
12-15-2015, 11:47 AM
Did Sandler explain why he makes shit now?

Sandler is shit but Grown Ups 2 grossed about a quarter billion dollars. Not a bad return for 2 months of goofing off with your buddies in front of a camera

MyNameIsJonas
12-15-2015, 12:21 PM
Every now and then Sandler tries to do a serious project ( Funny People, That 9/11 thing) and it has blown up in his face.

He's going to stick to his niche of making garbage comedies for garbage people and i guess the 12-14 year old range that find shit like the Ridiculous 6 funny.

I guess i'm saying don't blame Sandler as much as the hordes of people that see and encourage his trash.

CH1
12-15-2015, 12:31 PM
Netflix made an exclusive 4 movie deal with Sandler. Not sure how that will turn out for them.

MyNameIsJonas
12-15-2015, 12:43 PM
Netflix made an exclusive 4 movie deal with Sandler. Not sure how that will turn out for them.

poorly.

I'm guessing Sandler's people aren't netflix people.

Aberdeen
12-15-2015, 01:22 PM
Every now and then Sandler tries to do a serious project ( Funny People, That 9/11 thing) and it has blown up in his face.

He's going to stick to his niche of making garbage comedies for garbage people and i guess the 12-14 year old range that find shit like the Ridiculous 6 funny.

I guess i'm saying don't blame Sandler as much as the hordes of people that see and encourage his trash.
Punch drunk love was great.

MindzEye
12-15-2015, 01:24 PM
poorly.

I'm guessing Sandler's people aren't netflix people.

Netflix is so big now, is there such a thing as "netflix people". Surely their reach goes beyond narrow demographics.

MyNameIsJonas
12-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Punch drunk love was great.

It was, but that was sooo long ago now.

MyNameIsJonas
12-15-2015, 01:27 PM
Netflix is so big now, is there such a thing as "netflix people". Surely their reach goes beyond narrow demographics.

I assume his niche are 10-13 year olds who may or may not have access to their parents netflix,

Metalleaf
12-15-2015, 01:34 PM
You're giving American adults far too much credit.

leafman101
12-15-2015, 01:35 PM
I don't know who watches some of these Sandler movies but even Jack and Jill made $75 mill. Sandler consistently kills it at the box office. Whatever his niche is at this point, its lucrative.

Preston_Mizzi
12-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Howard is arguably more pathetic than Sandler these days. PC, celebrity asskissing hypocrital piece of absolute shit. The guy is a ****ing vomit.

He is in a cult type of thing pretty much with some broad that he hired that wrote some book called "Getting Things Done" which has a lot of comparisons to Scientology. This has destroyed the show and destroyed the man that Howard once was. Not to mention his fake celebrity ass kissing and no longer being the voice that speaks for the common man. He is a self absorbed piece of shit that abandons every non A-list celebrity friend he has ever had so he can go on vacations with Jennifer Aniston and Ellen Dewhateverhernameis - all of a sudden he finds them tremendous talents and amazing people after mocking them and speaking for the common man for so many years. Bleh, that is not the Howard I knew. Such a horrific fall from grace.

EDIT: Sorry, she didn't write the book, but she's a devotee to the book. It's a cult type thing and Stern is the first big name to follow it. Some of the best Stern guests of all-time have been banned as a result because they're too politically incorrect.

Habspatrol
12-15-2015, 02:33 PM
Howard is arguably more pathetic than Sandler these days. PC, celebrity asskissing hypocrital piece of absolute shit. The guy is a ****ing vomit.

He is in a cult type of thing pretty much with some broad that he hired that wrote some book called "Getting Things Done" which has a lot of comparisons to Scientology. This has destroyed the show and destroyed the man that Howard once was. Not to mention his fake celebrity ass kissing and no longer being the voice that speaks for the common man. He is a self absorbed piece of shit that abandons every non A-list celebrity friend he has ever had so he can go on vacations with Jennifer Aniston and Ellen Dewhateverhernameis - all of a sudden he finds them tremendous talents and amazing people after mocking them and speaking for the common man for so many years. Bleh, that is not the Howard I knew. Such a horrific fall from grace.

EDIT: Sorry, she didn't write the book, but she's a devotee to the book. It's a cult type thing and Stern is the first big name to follow it. Some of the best Stern guests of all-time have been banned as a result because they're too politically incorrect.

:lol

You, you seem to follow the show pretty closely.

Habspatrol
12-15-2015, 02:38 PM
I get a kick out of people who hate "what Howard has become."

The "old" Howard was far more fake. He was an angry dude, but nobody is as angry as he acted. It was schtick... he had no reason to hate 90% of the celebrities he hated.

Why do you care that he's friends with Jenifer Aniston and Ellen? He's buddies with Jimmy Kimmel who happens to also be friends with these people... so he became friends with them. Hell, that's the way most of us make friends.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
12-15-2015, 02:40 PM
That star trek looks terrible. It's just mindless now.

It is a teaser trailer. At least wait until the full length trailer comes out and we get a better look at what it will be about. Way too early to write it off.

leafman101
12-15-2015, 02:44 PM

The "old" Howard was far more fake. He was an angry dude, but nobody is as angry as he acted. It was schtick... he had no reason to hate 90% of the celebrities he hated.

Why do you care that he's friends with Jenifer Aniston and Ellen? He's buddies with Jimmy Kimmel who happens to also be friends with these people... so he became friends with them. Hell, that's the way most of us make friends.

Yeah, I liked Howard's take on it when Arty criticized him for that. Of course he changed. Why wouldn't he have changed? Thats what people do.

I don't listen as much as I used to, as he's inspired a whole generation of comedians podcasts that are great now (Bill Burr, You Made it Weird, WTF, Nerdist), but how can you tune in expecting him to be the angry kid fighting the establishment at this point? He already won.

Preston_Mizzi
12-15-2015, 02:45 PM
:lol

You, you seem to follow the show pretty closely.

Yup of course. As a life-long Stern fan of course I'm interested in the show. I haven't listened in about a year and a half becasue of tht broad and because it's not worth listening to someone I utterly despise, but I still read articles and listen to the several individuals who have come out lashing out against Howard. I listened a lot longer than I should have considering it was just making me angry for the last year or so but it wasn't easy to let it go - I've been listening to the guy for my whole life for ****s sake. He has become a shell of his former self and has become obsessed with being accepted in hollywood circles. That is a far cry from the old Stern and quite frankly, those who were Stern fans in the 90s and early 2000s simply can't be fans now. He is literally the opposite of what he used to be in every way. He is the guy that he used to mock.. It's astonishing to see what he has become.

I understand he's older and bla bla bla he can do what he wants, and if being the person he used to mock makes him happy, then yes he should very well go for it - But the way he dealt with the Artie situation, and the Howard TV situation, and the Dee Snyder situation, etc, etc. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. He's a terrible human being.

Preston_Mizzi
12-15-2015, 02:47 PM

Nah I don't hate him for that. I understand that people change and evolve. If being fake and pretending to have things in common with Jennifer Aniston just so he can get attention and feel popular for once in his life makes him happy, then good for him. I just don't find his new radio show entertaining. If his show used to be schtick then I prefered his schtick. Like I said, for those that grew up listening to him, there is a 0% chance they'd like his show now. He has become the opposite of what he once was. His show is catered to newer, more PC fans. There's nothing wrong with that - just not my cup of tea.

I hate him for the other stuff I mentioned though.

Habspatrol
12-15-2015, 02:59 PM
Yup of course. As a life-long Stern fan of course I'm interested in the show. I haven't listened in about a year and a half becasue of tht broad and because it's not worth listening to someone I utterly despise, but I still read articles and listen to the several individuals who have come out lashing out against Howard. I listened a lot longer than I should have considering it was just making me angry for the last year or so but it wasn't easy to let it go - I've been listening to the guy for my whole life for ****s sake. He has become a shell of his former self and has become obsessed with being accepted in hollywood circles. That is a far cry from the old Stern and quite frankly, those who were Stern fans in the 90s and early 2000s simply can't be fans now. He is literally the opposite of what he used to be in every way. He is the guy that he used to mock.. It's astonishing to see what he has become.

I understand he's older and bla bla bla he can do what he wants, and if being the person he used to mock makes him happy, then yes he should very well go for it - But the way he dealt with the Artie situation, and the Howard TV situation, and the Dee Snyder situation, etc, etc. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. He's a terrible human being.

Wow.

I don't know a single person who hasn't evolved throughout their life. Most of them have changed for the better, become happier and more well adjusted. I liked the old Howard, it was pretty entertaining... but the show is so much better now it's ridiculous. He still rips on people and even "hates" some people... but now he saves it for people he actually has a beef with, rather than just blindly hating people who he really knows nothing about.

As for the Artie situation, he handled that just fine. He gave Artie like 100 chances and then when Artie tried killing himself Howard decided that he had to stop enabling him.

Montana
12-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I liked Howard's take on it when Arty criticized him for that. Of course he changed. Why wouldn't he have changed? Thats what people do.

I don't listen as much as I used to, as he's inspired a whole generation of comedians podcasts that are great now (Bill Burr, You Made it Weird, WTF, Nerdist), but how can you tune in expecting him to be the angry kid fighting the establishment at this point? He already won.

Yep.

People who don't evolve in any meaningful way....just hate it when people they're friends with (or in the case of Howard, listen to/idolyze) evolve and grow.

Reminds them of how stagnant they are, and it kills them.

Habspatrol
12-15-2015, 03:02 PM
Nah I don't hate him for that. I understand that people change and evolve. If being fake and pretending to have things in common with Jennifer Aniston just so he can get attention and feel popular for once in his life makes him happy, then good for him. I just don't find his new radio show entertaining. If his show used to be schtick then I prefered his schtick. Like I said, for those that grew up listening to him, there is a 0% chance they'd like his show now. He has become the opposite of what he once was. His show is catered to newer, more PC fans. There's nothing wrong with that - just not my cup of tea.

I hate him for the other stuff I mentioned though.

How do you know what he has in common with Aniston? They both have a billion dollars and like to vacation. Plus I'm pretty sure he's more "friendly" with her husband Justin Theroux, who seems like a really cool cat.

Most of my friends are fairly different from me... we have some common ground and we enjoy hanging out together, but it's not like we're kindred souls.

Preston_Mizzi
12-15-2015, 03:12 PM
Wow.

I don't know a single person who hasn't evolved throughout their life. Most of them have changed for the better, become happier and more well adjusted. I liked the old Howard, it was pretty entertaining... but the show is so much better now it's ridiculous. He still rips on people and even "hates" some people... but now he saves it for people he actually has a beef with, rather than just blindly hating people who he really knows nothing about.

As for the Artie situation, he handled that just fine. He gave Artie like 100 chances and then when Artie tried killing himself Howard decided that he had to stop enabling him.
Oh, I'm happy for Howard if he is a happier person. I'm not upset with him that his show sucks now - I get it. He's just hard to relate to at this point. I liked the show before because he spoke for the common person. How could we relate to him now after all of his money and success? I get it, I'd be a much different person too.

As for the Artie situation, there's a lot more to it than the on-air stuff. I don't care about that.

And the Howard TV situation was arguably worse than what he did to Artie..

Those are the things that make me dislike the guy.

Preston_Mizzi
12-15-2015, 03:20 PM
How do you know what he has in common with Aniston? They both have a billion dollars and like to vacation. Plus I'm pretty sure he's more "friendly" with her husband Justin Theroux, who seems like a really cool cat.

Most of my friends are fairly different from me... we have some common ground and we enjoy hanging out together, but it's not like we're kindred souls.
Well let's just say, if he has a lot in common with Aniston then I clearly made the right choice to stop listening. Oofah. The show has become a bit like the View, except with just Howard talking instead of the broads. Is it wrong to enjoy that? Absolutely not, but it's not my cup of tea.

Let's be honest - He likes being the cool, popular guy. Hell, if I was a major celebrity that wasn't really respected or liked by any of my peers for many years, I may be the same way. He has become the popular, well-liked guy as a result in his brand/cult change and if that makes him a happier person, all the power to him. I just don't find his show entertaining to listen to anymore.

I don't like the things he did to some of his former close friends and former employees though. Again, that's what made me lose respect for him. When you abandon your dearest, closest less famous friends for A-list celebrities that you used to attack on your show nearly every day, something is not right. I can understand that he doesn't hate Ellen or Jennifer Aniston anymore, but to constantly lick their *******s while abandoning less famous friends, and banning some of the best Stern guests of all-time without picking up the phone to even talk to them? It's just not right.

Montana
12-15-2015, 03:35 PM
Oh, I'm happy for Howard if he is a happier person. I'm not upset with him

Story checks out, PM couldn't be happier for Howard....also he's not at all upset.

Preston_Mizzi
12-15-2015, 03:40 PM
Story checks out, PM couldn't be happier for Howard....also he's not at all upset.

Yup, I am definitely upset as mentioned. If Howard is happier being a celebrity ass kisser and producing a much worse show, then good for him. I am happy for him.

But the way he has treated certain people in his life has made me upset and as a result I've lost a lot of respect I had for him. That's what makes me upset. I am angry for Howard TV, I am angry for Artie, I am angry for Dee Snyder, and there are several more examples.

Habspatrol
12-15-2015, 03:47 PM
Seriously though... What do you know about Jennifer Aniston? What makes her a bad person?

CH1
12-15-2015, 03:58 PM
Yeah...Why is Jennifer Aniston a bad person compared to Dee Snider -- for all we know, he's a high maintenance, drama queen. Howard saved him from the gutter.

In any case, I think I'd rather hang with Jenn then Dee.

Preston_Mizzi
12-15-2015, 04:40 PM
Seriously though... What do you know about Jennifer Aniston? What makes her a bad person?

She's not a bad person. I just think that people that have things in common with her are those that watch shows like the View. Is there anything wrong with that? Not at all, but it's not for me. It just rubs me the wrong way when the guy was absolutely violently assaulting her just years ago, and now he abandoned his old close friends that have done so much for him, for her. It seems hypocritical, and quite frankly, fake. There's just something about it that upsets me. I don't have to explain myself - I am no longer a Stern fan and I think he is a bad person. It is what it is.

Dang, it appears that Howard and his team removed a classic video of him and Artie bashing Aniston shortly before the suicide attempt. Such a great clip. Oh well.

Preston_Mizzi
12-15-2015, 04:41 PM

btw aren't you a fan of wrestling? Talk about not growing up.. Oof

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
12-15-2015, 04:41 PM
btw aren't you a fan of wrestling? Talk about not growing up.. Oof

Look at your avatar?

Preston_Mizzi
12-15-2015, 04:46 PM
Look at your avatar?

Wrestling is ABSOLUTE MOTHER ****ING GARBAGE AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

IT'S FOR CHILDREN AND REDNECK DUMBPUBLICAN SLOBS!

MindzEye
12-15-2015, 05:08 PM
What I find interesting is that he felt the need to edit that post.

MyNameIsJonas
12-15-2015, 05:23 PM

Have to admit, really curious about the first draft.

Preston_Mizzi
12-15-2015, 05:24 PM
I had to add dumbpublican obviously. Everything else is the same.

MyNameIsJonas
12-15-2015, 05:26 PM

You showed him, i guess.

MindzEye
12-15-2015, 05:26 PM

Here I was, thinking that maybe you didn't like the original spelling of the AHAHAHA bit.

MyNameIsJonas
12-15-2015, 05:27 PM
Here I was, thinking that maybe you didn't like the original spelling of the AHAHAHA bit.

I hope you feel like a muther****ing moron.

Preston_Mizzi
12-15-2015, 05:28 PM
Nah, I got that part right. It was a well executed post that simply needed a minor touch-up.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
12-15-2015, 05:40 PM

+1

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
12-15-2015, 05:40 PM
Nah, I got that part right. It was a well executed post that simply needed a minor touch-up.

Ok Goldust.

JackBurton
12-15-2015, 06:38 PM
You can't blame Stern too much. He's spent decades having people want to puke when they see him. It's a nice change for him. And it has improved the guests. He's never had guests like this in the history of the show.

Habspatrol
12-15-2015, 06:49 PM
And nobody can stay that angry forever. Not without putting a bullet in your head... or someone else's.

Metalleaf
12-15-2015, 09:05 PM
We could be seeing a Hasbro cinematic universe soon. Lots of GI Joe.

BG
12-15-2015, 10:10 PM
We could be seeing a Hasbro cinematic universe soon. Lots of GI Joe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasbro_Studios

Hasbro and Universal Pictures signed an agreement in February 2008 to derive and produce four films from seven Hasbro properties: Battleship, Candy Land, Clue, Magic: The Gathering, Monopoly, Ouija, and Stretch Armstrong. Hasbro was to pay for all development costs for the films and Universal was supposed to pay $5 million per property not made into films.[14] In May, Bennett Schneir was hired to lead its film division[15] while Hasbro also reacquired animated series based on their properties from Sunbow Productions.[3]

By January 2012, all Hasbro properties at Universal — except for Battleship and Ouija — were halted in development. While Hasbro's film division continued to have an office on the Universal lot, Hasbro was able to take the Universal agreement properties to any studio.[14] Universal paid a multimillion-dollar fee instead of the $5 million per property to depart from the agreement.[19]

On 31 January 2011, it was announced that Columbia Pictures, Happy Madison, and Adam Sandler were in final negotiations to develop the Candy Land film.[20] In February, Stretch Armstrong was set up with Relativity Media.[14] In October, Hasbro signed a three picture co-production two-year deal which includes a first look provision with Emmett/Furla for Monopoly, Action Man, and Hungry Hungry Hippos...

JackBurton
12-16-2015, 09:19 AM
Clue from 1985 is one of the great, underrated comedies. Amazing 80's cast. If you have not seen it, check it out.

Aberdeen
12-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Clue from 1985 is one of the great, underrated comedies. Amazing 80's cast. If you have not seen it, check it out.
Love that movie. Holds up well IMO.

MyNameIsJonas
12-16-2015, 10:09 AM

Very True, Tim Curry at his finest.

oscarheyman
12-16-2015, 03:49 PM

Think it's been a long time since I seen that movie....Is that the one (before the DVD age of 'alternate version scenes', etc.,....) where depending on where you saw it, you'd see a different ending (I'm talking movie theatres)?

BG
12-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Think it's been a long time since I seen that movie....Is that the one (before the DVD age of 'alternate version scenes', etc.,....) where depending on where you saw it, you'd see a different ending (I'm talking movie theatres)?

Yep. 3 different endings, individually sent to theatres.

Metalleaf
12-16-2015, 10:05 PM
http://youtu.be/ahawhXzUV8Q

oscarheyman
12-16-2015, 10:22 PM
http://youtu.be/ahawhXzUV8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMLWheIuOOM

Metalleaf
12-16-2015, 10:30 PM
Cinematic masterpieces.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
12-17-2015, 12:18 PM
http://youtu.be/Se44ed4KBMA

www.fu2016.com

Preston_Mizzi
12-18-2015, 07:09 PM
And nobody can stay that angry forever. Not without putting a bullet in your head... or someone else's.

For the record I have a friend that interned on the show. There are so many things I want to say about it but can't because he can get in serious trouble... Bleh.

Metalleaf
12-18-2015, 09:41 PM
Star Wars....go see it....so much fun!

BKerr
12-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Star Wars

9.5/10

Metalleaf
12-18-2015, 10:00 PM
CNN
.@POTUS closes year-end press conference, "Ok everybody, I gotta get to #StarWars"

Even Obama knows whats up.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
12-19-2015, 08:08 PM
Star Wars was actually quite good. I have not seen the other Star Wars movies before other than little bits here and there through the years. Though, through friends I have a general knowledge of the plot.

The most recent ones, I did try and watch but they were just horrible.

I must say I really did enjoy this movie. It was a lot of fun and makes me want to watch the originals.

JackBurton
12-19-2015, 09:19 PM
Screener leak season has begun. Many Oscar contenders starting to appear online.

The Revenant just got leaked FYI. Not even out yet. I need to watch this.

MyNameIsJonas
12-19-2015, 09:22 PM
Spotlight was really good.

JackBurton
12-21-2015, 06:13 AM
The Revenant was very good. Maybe not quite as good as my anticipation as that teaser was one of the greatest I had ever seen. But it's quite an achievement in filmmaking.

That bear mauling scene is one of the greatest CGI scenes in movie history. DiCaprio is great. So is Tom Hardy. Dicaprio is a bit like Tom Hanks in Castaway. He doesn't say much for the vast majority of the film but is still very good.

hairnova
12-21-2015, 06:44 AM
Anyone else watching Making A Murderer?

Watched six episodes over the weekend, quite the story.

Hoss
12-21-2015, 08:33 AM
The trailer hooked me in, but it bored me in the first episode and couldn't see myself watching 10 episodes.

Anyone catching Bill Burr's cartoon called F is for Family... it looks a bit like a mike judge cartoon. I like how it's based in the late 70's early 80's and he curses like his regular stuff.

corksens
12-21-2015, 09:53 AM
I don't care if it's not Christmas-y...watch Sicario tonight.

Awesome movie.

Habspatrol
12-21-2015, 10:27 AM

We started it last night. Watched one episode... very intriguing.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
12-21-2015, 12:23 PM

Awesome movie.

BDT was excellent in it.

BG
12-21-2015, 12:36 PM
BDT was excellent in it.

+1 this

Santa - please bring us a season of True Detective with Benicio del Toro ...

MyNameIsJonas
12-21-2015, 12:42 PM
+1 this

Santa - please bring us a season of True Detective with Benicio del Toro ...

Benecio Del Toro
Chris Cooper

I'd start casting with this and work around it.

Preston_Mizzi
12-21-2015, 02:28 PM
I'm ****ing livid that Nathan for you hasn't been mentioned once in this thread. Absolute god damn mother ****ing morons AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoss
12-21-2015, 03:45 PM

Awesome movie.

oooh I wanted to watch that when it came out. Love BDT..... torenting it up right now.

Just came back from Starwars with the kids..... the 3D air fight scenes were pretty cool. Liked how it opens up alot a new questions to be answered in 8.

Bleedsblue&white
12-21-2015, 03:55 PM
You did the 3d eh?

I'm going to see it at the local theatre in regular-vision first. How did you feel about the 3D affecting the story in any way? As in, did you find it harder to concentrate on the story, or did they thow in things that were probably all about the 3D...that kind of thing.

Some movies (Avatar, that high-wire one) are made for it, others not so much.

JackBurton
12-21-2015, 03:59 PM
Hateful 8 is Tarantino's worst film imo. And I'm a fan of his.
Why shoot a film that takes place in a relatively small cabin for 90% in 70MM? It's a gimmick.

Hoss
12-21-2015, 05:38 PM
I'm downloading it now and I said that when I saw the previwe..... why shoot in 70mm when most of the dialogue takes place in the cabin. the 70 mm would work best when getting to the cabin and such. I thought Django was ridiculous, I bet this will be just the same.

I downloaded Creed as well. I heard alot of good things about it.

Hoss
12-21-2015, 05:40 PM
You did the 3d eh?

I'm going to see it at the local theatre in regular-vision first. How did you feel about the 3D affecting the story in any way? As in, did you find it harder to concentrate on the story, or did they thow in things that were probably all about the 3D...that kind of thing.

Some movies (Avatar, that high-wire one) are made for it, others not so much.

they don;t throw 3d just as a gimick, but there a few scenes in the xwing and millenium falcon that the 3D makes it feel like you are right in there. All of the reserved seating places only show it in 3D.

leafman101
12-21-2015, 05:50 PM
I found the 3D to be pretty subtle. Didn't really notice it much.

JackBurton
12-21-2015, 06:09 PM
Watching Joy Now.

MindzEye
12-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Saw Force Awakens...****ing outstanding.

Volcanologist
12-21-2015, 07:18 PM
going to see Star Wars over the holidays. all reports are it's awesome, which comes as a great relief tbh.

Habsy
12-21-2015, 07:21 PM
Seen it twice already. Found it predictable. Was well made though.

LeafGm
12-21-2015, 07:37 PM
Seen it twice already. Found it predictable. Was well made though.
Yeah, that was my main complaint. The story was about 25% nostalgia and 75% recycled plot points from the previous Star Wars movies.

Not a bad popcorn flick though, all in all. I liked all the new actors too, with the exception of Darth Emo.

Habsy
12-21-2015, 07:39 PM
Agreed. Much recycled.

Habsy
12-21-2015, 07:39 PM
I miss Jar Jar Binks.

MyNameIsJonas
12-21-2015, 07:42 PM
Watching Joy Now.

I feel like i'm going to hate Joy.

David O'Russell's schtick has worn very thin with me

Metalleaf
12-21-2015, 07:49 PM

Did you lol at Riot Trooper like I did?

Metalleaf
12-21-2015, 07:50 PM
Kylo Ren deserves more love.

Habsy
12-21-2015, 08:06 PM
You mean Ben?

Metalleaf
12-21-2015, 08:25 PM
In the expanded universe his name was Jacen.

As a young character with emotional turmoil he was fine. His character will get developed more over the the sequels. It was a good beginning.

Metalleaf
12-21-2015, 08:41 PM
I am biased of course. Daisy Ridley is my dad's cousin's cousin.

MyNameIsJonas
12-21-2015, 09:21 PM
I think Star Wars needed more Ben Affleck

UWHabs
12-21-2015, 10:15 PM
Star Wars was freaking awesome, but I thought Kylo was too much like the prequel Anakin that I didn't like him. There's potential there, and the fact that the other characters are all likeable, and that the story isn't entirely focused on him, makes me able to withstand him.

I did IMAX 3D for it, and maybe because I bought a ticket late and had a kind of shitty seat, wasn't a big fan of the 3D. Will probably plan to hit it up again in non-3D either over the holidays or maybe find a cheap Tuesday in January.

Habsy
12-21-2015, 10:18 PM
I saw it in IMAX 3D then in FDX 2D. Enjoyed the 2D better.

Metalleaf
12-21-2015, 10:23 PM
I saw it in IMAX twice will probably to regular 3D or normal....or probably both cause I have a problem.

Deckie007
12-21-2015, 10:29 PM
I think Star Wars needed more Ben Affleck

Wasn't funny on FB.

Still not funny.

MyNameIsJonas
12-21-2015, 10:57 PM
Wasn't funny on FB.

Still not funny.

Why do you say mean things to me?

BG
12-21-2015, 11:34 PM
3D in Force Awakens is really well done - particular emphasis on space, lightsabre battles and the ending sequence.

Really fun movie - probably the best acted as well, though I still think McDiarmid should have gotten more honours for his all-out Emperor performance in Revenge of the Sith.

JackBurton
12-22-2015, 05:06 AM
I feel like i'm going to hate Joy.

David O'Russell's schtick has worn very thin with me

I'm not a fan of his in general. I thought America Hustle was horribly overrated. I must say though, while Joy isn't a "Great" film, I found it solid. It grew on me.

JackBurton
12-23-2015, 08:58 AM
I wanted to like Sicario more. It has a fantastic opening and is very well made. The issue was, the main plot is very silly, clichéd and not believable.

MyNameIsJonas
12-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Watched Concussion.

Will Smith tried really hard, but this was all sorts of meh.

JackBurton
12-23-2015, 09:23 AM
I have Concussion on my computer. It is really hard to even care about that movie. I cannot see people at Christmas wanting to pay to see it.

The Danish Girl I just downloaded. Maybe Eddiie Redmayne can win 2 Oscars in a row.

worm
12-23-2015, 09:46 AM
I wanted to like Sicario more. It has a fantastic opening and is very well made. The issue was, the main plot is very silly, clichéd and not believable.

Ya. It was not very good at all.

JackBurton
12-23-2015, 09:53 AM
Now I can say it, 2015 is a weak year for movies. It is hard to figure which film will win best picture.

MyNameIsJonas
12-23-2015, 09:58 AM
very weak, will be Spotlight or Carol, should be Mad Max, Inside Out or Spotlight

JackBurton
12-23-2015, 10:01 AM
Mad Max is getting the most accolades from important lists like the National Board of Review. I cannot see it winning best film though. George Miller I think will win best director however. He deserves it.
You are correct about Carol or Spotlight. Those are the frontrunners now I believe.

MyNameIsJonas
12-23-2015, 10:08 AM
Mad Max, won't win but IMO should. Agreed on Miller

Preston_Mizzi
12-23-2015, 10:12 AM
I'M SO SICK OF THAT SAME OLD LOVE!

SundinsTooth
12-23-2015, 10:41 AM
are you on the cusp of an epic meltdown? where is my popcorn?

Preston_Mizzi
12-23-2015, 10:46 AM
THAT SHIT, IT TEARS ME UP!

TheCountofMonteCristo
12-23-2015, 11:32 AM
In the expanded universe his name was Jacen.

As a young character with emotional turmoil he was fine. His character will get developed more over the the sequels. It was a good beginning.
Yeah what is with the Ben bullshit. I loved his character.

TheCountofMonteCristo
12-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Star Wars was freaking awesome, but I thought Kylo was too much like the prequel Anakin that I didn't like him. There's potential there, and the fact that the other characters are all likeable, and that the story isn't entirely focused on him, makes me able to withstand him.

I did IMAX 3D for it, and maybe because I bought a ticket late and had a kind of shitty seat, wasn't a big fan of the 3D. Will probably plan to hit it up again in non-3D either over the holidays or maybe find a cheap Tuesday in January.
It is basically ANH redone but I didn't care. Loved it anyway.

MyNameIsJonas
12-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Jack, check out 99 Homes, a decent movie with a stellar performance from Michael Shannon

BG
12-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Jack, check out 99 Homes, a decent movie with a stellar performance from Michael Shannon

I feel like Michael Shannon should be busier, but there just aren't enough quality "bad-guy prick" parts being written for Hollywood.

MyNameIsJonas
12-23-2015, 01:52 PM
I feel like Michael Shannon should be busier, but there just aren't enough quality "bad-guy prick" parts being written for Hollywood.

He'd also be wise not to typecast himself into that role.

axlsalinger
12-23-2015, 09:05 PM
Yeah, that was my main complaint. The story was about 25% nostalgia and 75% recycled plot points from the previous Star Wars movies.

Not a bad popcorn flick though, all in all. I liked all the new actors too, with the exception of Darth Emo.

Just saw Force Awakens tonight. I have watched the original 6 over the past few weeks (again) in preparation. As for #7, I am a little conflicted, but certainly agree with what LeafGM said here. Good popcorn movie, fun to watch and I did really enjoy it, but it was definitely lacking in story, and I was also surprised at how a couple of major plot points were recycled. I did quite like the 2 new main characters and the droid (BB8) is awesome. Considering the reviews are so positive, I was expecting it to be a little better than it is, but still worth seeing. Definitely set up for the sequels on a number of levels.

Also, I saw it in 3D and loved that aspect of it. Highly recommended, doesn't detract from it at all IMO.

Metalleaf
12-23-2015, 09:23 PM
If it had Guns and Roses, 10/10.

axlsalinger
12-23-2015, 09:35 PM
I don't understand the point. Are you saying it was a 10/10 film?

LeafGm
12-23-2015, 09:39 PM
Just saw Force Awakens tonight. I have watched the original 6 over the past few weeks (again) in preparation. As for #7, I am a little conflicted, but certainly agree with what LeafGM said here. Good popcorn movie, fun to watch and I did really enjoy it, but it was definitely lacking in story, and I was also surprised at how a couple of major plot points were recycled. I did quite like the 2 new main characters and the droid (BB8) is awesome. Considering the reviews are so positive, I was expecting it to be a little better than it is, but still worth seeing. Definitely set up for the sequels on a number of levels.

Also, I saw it in 3D and loved that aspect of it. Highly recommended, doesn't detract from it at all IMO.
Yeah, I went into the movie having watched none of the trailers, and knowing nothing about the story or any of the new characters. So I was really caught off-guard by just how much they re-used from the previous Star Wars movies.

(highlight for spoilers)

An orphan with a mysterious past, latent, powerful force abilities and amazing piloting skills grows up on a backwater, desert planet.

That orphan's life is interrupted when their path crosses with a droid storing valuable confidential infomation that's on the run from a Sith Lord and the Empire, and trying to get back to the Rebel Alliance with its crucial information.

The orphan, the droid and a new friend/ally escape on the Millenium Falcon, with the help of a smuggler named Han Solo and his co-pilot Chewbacca.

The main conflict of the movie is that the empire has built a massive, moon/planet-sized weapon capable of destroying entire planets.

A few of our heroes (including Han Solo & Chewbacca) have to sneak onto this weapon, to save a girl that's been kidnapped by the Dark Side baddie.

A rebel pilot flies their ship into in this massive weapon and fires off their weapons, causing the whole thing the blow-up.

The hero of the story (the orphan) must seek out a legendary & powerful Jedi Master, who went into hiding after his star apprentice killed all his other pupils.

I'm sure there's a few more too, that I'm just not thinking of off the top of my head.

Now that Disney's on track to get a pretty solid return on investment for this movie, hopefully they can take a few more chances and cover some more original ground in the next couple of movies.

Metalleaf
12-23-2015, 09:40 PM
No. I was joking. And I'm bitter about the football pool.

I give it an 8.5/10 but I can't fully judge it til I see the whole story. I enjoyed it for the reboot it was and it gives me hope for the sequels.

axlsalinger
12-23-2015, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I went into the movie having watched none of the trailers, and knowing nothing about the story or any of the new characters. So I was really caught off-guard by just how much they re-used from the previous Star Wars movies.

Yeah, I somehow managed to avoid almost all spoilers as well, so I really didn't know much going in. Abrams does what he does very well, but I am not sure he was the right choice. I think Into Darkness is a better film than this one.

(Highlight for Spoiler)

Really, a Death Star? Again? For the 3rd ****.ing time? I'm glad they finally figured out they need to defend it with more than a few tie fight--, uh, nevermind.

Some of the other stuff makes sense, the idea of the "orphan" or parental issues has been a major theme throughout. Really liked the mystery of the stormtrooper's "awakening". I quite enjoyed his character throughout the film. Rey being a great pilot is also a common theme (Luke's daughter, perhaps?)

Loved the idea of having Han's son in the film as a bad guy. Not sure this part was handled particularly well in the screenplay, however.

LeafGm
12-23-2015, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I somehow managed to avoid almost all spoilers as well, so I really didn't know much going in. Abrams does what he does very well, but I am not sure he was right for this one. I think Into Darkness is a better film than this one.

(highlight for spoilers)

(highlight for spoilers)

But it's not a Death Star. This one's a "Star Killer". And it's built into a planet instead of being a space station, and it's like...a SUPER Death Star that's way bigger.

So that's, like...totally different, right?

Seriously though, I think someone needs to sit down those Empire types and gently explain to them that they need to think of a different strategy for achieving galactic domination. I mean...the third time definitely wasn't the charm, so maybe it's time to try something new?

axlsalinger
12-23-2015, 09:58 PM
(Highlight for Spoiler)

I'm sure they'll get it right in the next film.

MyNameIsJonas
12-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Maybe it's because i'm a Tarentino mark, but i adored the Hateful 8, and will reserve judgement about 70mm in a tight cabin until i see the film in theaters.

For me it might have been the strongest acting ensamble of the year. Jennifer Jason Leigh is hands down best supporting actress i've seen this year and in a weak year all of Kurt Russell, Samuel Jackson and especially Walton Goggins could yield a best supporting actor nom themselves. Tim Roth, Damien Bichir, Channing Tatum and Bruce Dern are also fantastic in sub supporting roles. They are so good, they made me forget how terrible Michael Madsen was for 3 hours ( if i have one gripe for Quentin, it's that he keeps giving this guy work, but even Madsen, was okay in this)

I'll understand if this seems too similar to Django (dialogue wise at least) for some, but for me this was a fun piece of work.

JackBurton
12-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Not a big fan of the film, but yes, give JJL the best supporting Oscar now.

One thing I did not like at all was the resolution of the "Mystery" aspect. It plays like another adaptation of Christie's "10 Little Indians". BUt I really didn't care about who did it or think it worked.

oscarheyman
12-24-2015, 03:46 PM
(Highlight for Spoiler)

Loved the idea of having Han's son in the film as a bad guy. Not sure this part was handled particularly well in the screenplay, however.

(Highlight for Spoiler)

I didn't particularly like how a couple (untrained by any Jedi) people were almost able to beat him - yeah he was suffering from the shot from Chewie but still you'd expect a person trained in the ways of the Force would've had an easier time against these two novices

MyNameIsJonas
12-24-2015, 08:21 PM
Not a big fan of the film, but yes, give JJL the best supporting Oscar now.

One thing I did not like at all was the resolution of the "Mystery" aspect. It plays like another adaptation of Christie's "10 Little Indians". BUt I really didn't care about who did it or think it worked.

Yeah for whatever reason it worked for me....Might be cause i'm a mark though

Did you think Tim Roth was doing a Christoph Waltz impression?

And for whoever wants to find more roles for Michael Shannon, he would have killed the Michael Madsen role.

JackBurton
12-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Spotlight was indeed very good. I'd say it was one of the best journalistic movies I've seen. Keaton was in one of the other bests with "The Paper" (One of Ron Howard's best films and very underrated).

JackBurton
12-24-2015, 08:41 PM
Yeah for whatever reason it worked for me....Might be cause i'm a mark though

Did you think Tim Roth was doing a Christoph Waltz impression?

And for whoever wants to find more roles for Michael Shannon, he would have killed the Michael Madsen role.

Yeah, although Roth was in Pulp Fiction, that did feel like a total Waltz role. You got the feeling he was just too busy and could not do the film but it was written for him.

Maybe QT offered Madsen the role to make up for Pulp Fiction. Madsen had the Travolta role but had to turn it down because Wyatt Earp ran long during filming (And was a huge bomb).

Habsy
12-24-2015, 09:30 PM
I think we all know who Rae is. They made it pretty obvious.

axlsalinger
12-25-2015, 03:21 AM
Really good review on The Force Awakens. I like this dude, I've seen a couple of his SW videos before and he's pretty good at this. Agree with many of his points on the film, quite positive review overall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWhIkeARKRM

Habsy
12-25-2015, 06:50 AM
he says he didn't see the bad guy being Han Solo's kid. How could you not? Clearly obvious the Skywalker bloodline would be used.

CRL
12-25-2015, 09:39 AM
https://youtu.be/ZIM1HydF9UA

JaysCyYoung
12-25-2015, 10:00 AM
he says he didn't see the bad guy being Han Solo's kid. How could you not? Clearly obvious the Skywalker bloodline would be used.

Spoilers much?

TheCountofMonteCristo
12-25-2015, 10:56 AM
I guess he missed the part where he referred to Darth Vader as grandfather

TheCountofMonteCristo
12-25-2015, 10:57 AM
Spoilers much?
If you haven't seen the movie by now, kind of hard to expect others not to discuss it openly.

MyNameIsJonas
12-25-2015, 11:07 AM
If you haven't seen the movie by now, kind of hard to expect others not to discuss it openly.

so much this.

JaysCyYoung
12-25-2015, 11:46 AM

You're right, it's not like half the posts on the previous page had spoiler tags and hidden text.

Also, some of us have been busy at work or shopping for Christmas gifts, and might not have had the opportunity to see the film yet.

I'm not a big fanboy, so I didn't see it a week ago at midnight, but you kind of have to see these sorts of culturally significant films, and carelessly revealing a major plot point like that sucks for those who haven't seen the movie yet.

Anyways, I'm not going to weep or anything, since that's about par for the course plot-wise I'd expect from the series (it's definitely not high art in terms of its screenplays), but a little courtesy, please.

TheCountofMonteCristo
12-25-2015, 11:52 AM
Seven days is the limit on spoiler complaints.

JackBurton
12-25-2015, 12:25 PM
The weird thing about Spotlight is, I skipped Church on Christmas Eve with family and hung-out and watched a movie about the investigation into priests fondling little boys.

BG
12-25-2015, 01:17 PM

Kylo -- KY-LO -- sKYwalker-soLO

axlsalinger
12-25-2015, 01:20 PM
It's pretty well established in Star Wars canon that Han and Leia had a kid(s), so I knew he/she would show up in the film at some point. I didn't know who it was either, going in. It's not really a big deal knowing that Jays, but I do agree with his point that people should avoid posting spoilers (just use the tag), the movie just came out.

JaysCyYoung
12-25-2015, 01:21 PM
It's pretty well established in Star Wars canon that Han and Leia had a kid(s), so I knew he/she would show up in the film at some point. I didn't know who it was either, going in. It's not really a big deal knowing that Jays, but I do agree with his point that people should avoid posting spoilers (just use the tag), the movie just came out.

Yeah, I'm not pissed off or anything. It just kind of caught me off guard. Like I said, it's probably not a huge revelation, I just would have liked to have known that later on. :(

Habsy
12-25-2015, 04:00 PM
Apologies, posted on tapatalk and didn't think to white out.

That being said, go see the movie already. I went during work the first time.

JaysCyYoung
12-25-2015, 10:13 PM
Apologies, posted on tapatalk and didn't think to white out.

That being said, go see the movie already. I went during work the first time.

What did you think?

BKerr
12-26-2015, 07:54 PM
I think we all know who Rae is. They made it pretty obvious.

Spoilers

I could see her as Luke's daughter or I could see her as Han/Leia's daughter too. Many of the signs that point to luke, could also point to leia, and we all know the trilogy is going to lead to a Kylo vs Rae showdown. The story telling is more powerful if its brother vs sister (like Luke vs Dader was father and son) than if they are cousins. That said, i still think its more likely that she is Luke's daughter. But they have left the opening here.

Habspatrol
12-27-2015, 03:20 PM

Just finished binge watching the series. Wow... just wow.

Spoilers: (kinda) I can't believe how pissed off it made me. How the hell are some of those cops, lawyers, investigators not in jail??

JackBurton
12-27-2015, 09:50 PM
Being about lesbians, "Carol" probably means I'll like it. But it is a very good movie. One of the best of the year. The last scene was very touching.

TheCountofMonteCristo
12-27-2015, 10:27 PM
Being about lesbians, "Carol" probably means I'll like it. But it is a very good movie. One of the best of the year. The last scene was very touching.
Serious question as I want to see it too. Were you the only straight guy in the theatre?

JackBurton
12-28-2015, 09:45 AM
Serious question as I want to see it too. Were you the only straight guy in the theatre?

I hate to admit it, but I got a screener off a torrent. I was a little worried about being the only guy in the theater if I were to see it.

Brokeback Mountain in the theater was rather uncomfortable to watch. All the guys in the theater looked so uncomfortable.

MyNameIsJonas
12-28-2015, 10:02 AM

I saw it in theater but couldn't get a full count of people's sexuality.

Only had so much time during teasers to ask, and some wouldn't fill out my questionnaire. Had to gauge the rest of my data based on haircut. Pretty sure 82% lesbian, 16% gay, 1% straight, 1% straight hoping to see boobs and snuck in lotion.

JaysCyYoung
12-28-2015, 10:18 AM
I saw it in theater but couldn't get a full count of people's sexuality.

Only had so much time during teasers to ask, and some wouldn't fill out my questionnaire. Had to gauge the rest of my data based on haircut. Pretty sure 82% lesbian, 16% gay, 1% straight, 1% straight hoping to see boobs and snuck in lotion.

http://i.imgur.com/dEL6l.jpg

Deckie007
12-28-2015, 12:42 PM
I hate to admit it, but I got a screener off a torrent. I was a little worried about being the only guy in the theater if I were to see it.

Brokeback Mountain in the theater was rather uncomfortable to watch. All the guys in the theater looked so uncomfortable.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ToMjGpn0Si90OyYBtny/giphy.gif

worm
12-29-2015, 01:42 AM
star wars was really good

new darth vader not so much once he took his helmet off

MindzEye
12-29-2015, 07:25 AM
star wars was really good

new darth vader not so much once he took his helmet off

Darth Emo was the weak point for me too.

Volcanologist
12-29-2015, 08:59 AM
Vader would laugh at that pansy. How are two people who have never picked up a lightsaber in their lives even remotely a challenge? pretty embarrassing stuff for a "sith".

Metalleaf
12-29-2015, 09:09 AM
He's not a Sith yet. Being force sensitive doesn't make one a Jedi or a Sith.

Vader would laugh at this pansy? Vader was this pansy.

JackBurton
12-29-2015, 09:20 AM
I'm watching the original trilogy before I see the new Star Wars. I really forgot what great films Star Wars and Empire were, and what an accomplishment it was for George Lucas to create them. Just masterpieces.

Volcanologist
12-29-2015, 09:57 AM
He's not a Sith yet. Being force sensitive doesn't make one a Jedi or a Sith.

huh? how does this address my point?

Vader would laugh at this pansy? Vader was this pansy.

According to what?? those shitty movies with Hayden what's his face?

Metalleaf
12-29-2015, 10:06 AM
Those are a part of the canon. So unless you feel inclined to grace us with your own personal fanfiction....you will just have to acknowledge it.

And my initial point addresses yours because you make the assertion that Sith = a master, when Ren is not yet a master. He fights with the Dark Side but he isn't a Lord yet, which is why he doesn't have Darth in his name.

Spoilers ahead:

He uses rage and anger to fuel himself but he has no control and that is why he ultimately lost. And as Snoke says he has to complete his training.

TimHorton
12-29-2015, 10:18 AM
Yeah I actually really liked Ren. The point (of the first movie at least) is he's this conflicted kid with massive power and no control. If you want a fully formed baddie, just watch 4,5,6

MindzEye
12-29-2015, 10:31 AM
Yeah I actually really liked Ren. The point (of the first movie at least) is he's this conflicted kid with massive power and no control. If you want a fully formed baddie, just watch 4,5,6

I dug what the character looked like it was supposed to be, pretty much exactly as you put it. I'm not thrilled with the performance put in at all though. Basically any time the helmet was on, Kylo Ren was excellent.

UWHabs
12-29-2015, 10:43 AM
I dug what the character looked like it was supposed to be, pretty much exactly as you put it. I'm not thrilled with the performance put in at all though. Basically any time the helmet was on, Kylo Ren was excellent.

He was too "Anakin" for me, not enough Darth, so made for a weird villain.

Although that being said, he wasn't Emo Kylo Ren for too much of the film that it was getting annoying, unlike the prequels where we had an awful lot of emo Anakin.

BKerr
12-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Those are a part of the canon. So unless you feel inclined to grace us with your own personal fanfiction....you will just have to acknowledge it.

And my initial point addresses yours because you make the assertion that Sith = a master, when Ren is not yet a master. He fights with the Dark Side but he isn't a Lord yet, which is why he doesn't have Darth in his name.

Spoilers

He was also badly injured by Chewy's cross bow/blaster, a weapon which completely incapacitated other people in the movie when hit. Ren repeatedly feels pain where he was shot, as he keeps hitting himself at the site of the blast throughout the fight with Finn and Rae

BKerr
12-29-2015, 10:56 AM

Exactly

BKerr
12-29-2015, 10:57 AM
He was too "Anakin" for me, not enough Darth, so made for a weird villain.

Although that being said, he wasn't Emo Kylo Ren for too much of the film that it was getting annoying, unlike the prequels where we had an awful lot of emo Anakin.

I think that was the point... he's more like Annakin than he is Darth... at least at this point in his training.

Volcanologist
12-29-2015, 10:59 AM
Sorry but even being challenged by not one but two people who have never picked up a lightsaber is pretty pathetic.

LeafGm
12-29-2015, 11:04 AM
One big thing for me is that I just had a hard time reconciling the "Darth Emo" we saw in the movie with the guy that supposedly slaughtered all of Luke Skywalker's students, and sent Luke running away to some rock in the ocean in a far-flung corner of the galaxy.

I mean, really? Some random storm trooper with no force abilities swinging a lightsaber for the second time in his life gave him just about all he could handle, and a girl with abilities but no training whatsoever using a lightsaber for the first time in her life gave him a solid ass-kicking.

How did Luke not slap-chop that whinging little pansy into tiny little pieces?

TheCountofMonteCristo
12-29-2015, 11:23 AM
Ren is his nephew, Luke would never hurt him. Luke ran away.

MyNameIsJonas
12-29-2015, 11:25 AM

I dug the character, i think my issue is with Adam Driver in the casting

TimHorton
12-29-2015, 11:29 AM
I mean, really? Some random storm trooper with no force abilities swinging a lightsaber for the second time in his life gave him just about all he could handle, and a girl with abilities but no training whatsoever using a lightsaber for the first time in her life gave him a solid ass-kicking.

He had a significant wound (Abrams beats you over the head with this), plus, it was quite evident he didn't want to kill Rey.

corksens
12-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Star Wars sucked.

I hate movies that need to have a full orchestra playing in the background to tell us how to feel.

TimHorton
12-29-2015, 11:38 AM
Star Wars sucked.

I hate movies that need to have a full orchestra playing in the background to tell us how to feel.

So the first 6 movies doing that didn't tip you off to the 7th probably following that lead? You're dopey.

corksens
12-29-2015, 11:57 AM
So the first 6 movies doing that didn't tip you off to the 7th probably following that lead? You're dopey.Well the last few sucked too.

The originals were classics - great story telling. This one was lame.

Metalleaf
12-29-2015, 12:00 PM
That had a full orchestral symphony soundtrack

Volcanologist
12-29-2015, 12:13 PM
Enjoying the nerdy outrage as well, I have to say.

JackBurton
12-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Star Wars nerds are terrific entertainment. I've loved reading Harry Knowles' posts on Facebook since Star Wars came out. He has nothing else going on in his life. He actually documented himself driving in the car to go to the theater to see it the first time.

TheCountofMonteCristo
12-29-2015, 01:22 PM
So the first 6 movies doing that didn't tip you off to the 7th probably following that lead? You're dopey.
Yeah that was a dumb take even for him.

axlsalinger
12-29-2015, 01:41 PM
So I guess all movies would be better with the score removed? :facepalm

SundinsTooth
12-29-2015, 03:54 PM
Star Wars sucked.

Wow this is pretty silly...

SundinsTooth
12-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Sorry but even being challenged by not one but two people who have never picked up a lightsaber is pretty pathetic.
Well one was a memory wiped force user and the other had been trained as a soldier since birth. It's really not that big of a stretch. Especially for a star wars movie. I mean it's a campy series since day one. What were you expecting? It's not like Luke Skywalker put in 10,000 hours of saber practice before going toe to toe with the greatest living martial artist in the galaxy. (and holding more than his own)

SundinsTooth
12-29-2015, 03:59 PM
One big thing for me is that I just had a hard time reconciling the "Darth Emo" we saw in the movie with the guy that supposedly slaughtered all of Luke Skywalker's students, and sent Luke running away to some rock in the ocean in a far-flung corner of the galaxy.

How did Luke not slap-chop that whinging little pansy into tiny little pieces?
I was a bit confused over that part but wasn't he simply one part of the Knights of Ren?

TheCountofMonteCristo
12-29-2015, 04:44 PM
I understand Jacen Solo aka Ben was trained by Luke but seduced by the dark side and joined the Knights of Ren. I suspect we will learn more in the books and episode 8

UWHabs
12-29-2015, 06:57 PM
Well one was a memory wiped force user and the other had been trained as a soldier since birth. It's really not that big of a stretch. Especially for a star wars movie. I mean it's a campy series since day one. What were you expecting? It's not like Luke Skywalker put in 10,000 hours of saber practice before going toe to toe with the greatest living martial artist in the galaxy. (and holding more than his own)

Plus you get the mystical "force" to act, and they can help explain anything.

SundinsTooth
12-29-2015, 07:27 PM
Plus you get the mystical "force" to act, and they can help explain anything.

Yep, a perfect story telling component.

JackBurton
12-29-2015, 08:59 PM
I gotta say, I enjoyed "Spectre" more than I thought I would. the reviews were too rough on it, and far too kind to "Skyfall". Spectre felt much more like a Bond film. And some plot points were not as silly as many reviewers made it out to be (At least the way they were presented in the film.

JaysCyYoung
12-29-2015, 09:19 PM
I agree with you that Spectre was a better movie than one was led to believe from the reviews (to me, it was a strong edition in the Craig sequence of Bond films), but Skyfall was an excellent movie in its own right, let alone Bond films.

Skyfall occupies a spot in the upper-echelon of Bond entries alongside Goldfinger, From Russia With Love, and Casino Royale, whereas I found Spectre just missed the cut. Waltz's performance was measured and extremely good though. He'll be a superb addition to more films down the line hopefully.

Craig looked a little tired, but we've been fortunate enough to have him through four Bond films. He's a superb Bond.

LeafOfFaith
12-30-2015, 03:26 AM
Finally saw the latest chapter of Mission Impossible last night. Very good, nonstop fast-paced action.

Saw Star Wars last week and while entertained, wasn't impressed much, to be honest. In fairness, I wasn't even a fan when I was a kid, since I saw the movies for the first time in college when the prequels were coming out, and have to say frankly that they suck if you didn't watch them in their own era when they were groundbreaking. The Force Awakens was fine, but so many holes, so predictable, and so little to emotionally attach me.

BG
12-30-2015, 09:22 AM
I don't think you can assume that there are any "plot-holes" in the first of a three movie trilogy, can you?

MindzEye
12-30-2015, 09:51 AM
I don't think you can assume that there are any "plot-holes" in the first of a three movie trilogy, can you?

+1

BG
12-30-2015, 09:53 AM
I like Adam Driver - and kind of think he might have been better cast as a young Han Solo in one of these spin-off movies.

JackBurton
12-30-2015, 09:59 AM
I like Adam Driver - and kind of think he might have been better cast as a young Han Solo in one of these spin-off movies.

I'd really find it hard to believe that odd-looking guy was a young Han Solo.

Metalleaf
12-30-2015, 10:07 AM

Chris Pratt, yes...Adam Driver no. He's fine playing the Anakin wannabe.

BG
12-30-2015, 12:04 PM
Chris Pratt overload.

JackBurton
12-30-2015, 11:16 PM
Saw Force Awakens finally. Good yes. Great no. It does feel like a remake of episode 4. The beginning and end are great though.

Metalleaf
12-31-2015, 08:45 AM
I can't properly judge the film until I see the subsequent films and see if just suffered a bit from opening episode syndrome.

number17
12-31-2015, 04:54 PM
I grew up with Star Wars so my review would be biased, inevitably, but I agree The Force Awakens was good, and well worth the $$. Was it great? No, and it most probably can't be because it's setting up the stage for the new trilogy.

I like how it goes back to the original trilogy (IV, V and VI) and avoided the 'cleanliness' and 'kids movie' feel of I, II and III, which is ironic cause this is a Disney reboot.

As a standalone movie, I think it's a decent Sci-fi. But you layer on top the '30 years reunion' of all the storylines of Hans Solo, Princess Leia, Luke, Chewy, Obi wan etc etc and all of a sudden the movie's 'upgraded' from 3 stars to a solid 4 stars for SW fans like me.

With such a storied franchise, I feel JJ Abrams avoided major pitfalls or mistakes introducing the new generation of story on the heel of the original series, and taht is no small feat already. Now I look forward to what he does with the stage he's set for himself in the next 2 movies.

Deckie007
12-31-2015, 05:27 PM
Star Wars is in no way Sci-fi. It's a Space Western through and through. Agree with your assessment in general however.

UWHabs
12-31-2015, 05:39 PM
Yep. On its own, the movie wouldn't have been much. But with the history, that upgrades it. Heck, it was even awesome to see some of the other old time characters like Admiral Ackbar back and make cameo appearances.

If you're not a Star Wars fan, I doubt you'd become one after watching it. And if you didn't know the history, you'd keep wondering who this bloody Luke character was that they kept trying to find, and why he was so important. But if you're a fan, it was definitely a good movie, and way better than any of the prequel trilogy ones.

TheCountofMonteCristo
12-31-2015, 05:50 PM
The problem with the prequels is that we all knew how they had to turn out. Now they are free to go where they see fit.

corksens
01-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Second season of Fargo is heating up. What a great time waster over the holidays.

Habspatrol
01-02-2016, 03:58 PM
Finally watched Star Wars. Loved it of course.

corksens
01-02-2016, 06:06 PM
Finally watched Star Wars. Loved it of course.Simpleton.

TheCountofMonteCristo
01-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Finally watched Star Wars. Loved it of course.
You know Kylo Ren and Rey will have a good fight in future episodes.

Habspatrol
01-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Well... If they do fight... It really shouldn't even be close.

TheCountofMonteCristo
01-02-2016, 06:14 PM
Well... If they do fight... It really shouldn't even be close.
Kylo's powers should get stronger now that he killed his dad. Snoke will complete his training.

JackBurton
01-02-2016, 06:17 PM
The Martian was good. Could have used a little tightening-up though.

Never been a big Damon fan but it was a real nice performance by him. It's a difficult challenge to have so many scenes by yourself like that.

Habspatrol
01-02-2016, 06:24 PM
Kylo's powers should get stronger now that he killed his dad. Snoke will complete his training.

I know it's been out long enough but I still don't want to spoil it.

Highlight to read: She kicked his ass with no training and not even knowing that she could use the force. She is clearly far more powerful than him.

Which leads me to what may be a dumb question.... is she Luke's daughter? That's the only explanation for how powerful she is and how much of a natural pilot she is.

TheCountofMonteCristo
01-02-2016, 06:24 PM
Two weeks after is long enough

Habspatrol
01-02-2016, 06:25 PM
The Martian was good. Could have used a little tightening-up though.

Never been a big Damon fan but it was a real nice performance by him. It's a difficult challenge to have so many scenes by yourself like that.

Agreed on all accounts. Really enjoyed it.

Habspatrol
01-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Simpleton.

Thanks man. Happy Knew Year.

BKerr
01-02-2016, 07:12 PM
I know it's been out long enough but I still don't want to spoil it.

All hints are that she is Luke's daughter. However I could also see her being Leia's daughter as a brother/sister fight is more powerful storyline wise than a cousin vs cousin fight. That said.

Kylo Ren doesn't have his full training yet either. And he was also injured by Chewy's crossbow prior to the fight. He kept hitting himself in the side (where the crossbow hit him) during the fight, so I think part of the reason he didn't look as good was because of that injury too

Habspatrol
01-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Two weeks after is long enough

It's long enough... but it's easy enough for me to just post in white.

Habspatrol
01-02-2016, 07:15 PM
All hints are that she is Luke's daughter. However I could also see her being Leia's daughter as a brother/sister fight is more powerful storyline wise than a cousin vs cousin fight. That said.

Kylo Ren doesn't have his full training yet either. And he was also injured by Chewy's crossbow prior to the fight. He kept hitting himself in the side (where the crossbow hit him) during the fight, so I think part of the reason he didn't look as good was because of that injury too

All fair points.

Hoss
01-02-2016, 07:48 PM
I can't post in white on my phone so spoilers below on my theory.

I think kylo and Rey are bro and sis as twins run in the family.....second I think that he will team up with Rey to finally destroy the dark side. I just think that when he said "I will finish what you started" to Vader's mask he might have been saying that he wants to finish killing the emperor/snoke.....he knew Rey was on that planet and was super pissed that she was captured....I think he didn't want the first order to know about her. Hence he leaves one guard to watch Rey? Also I think he had to kill Han to prove to snoke that he could be trusted. He says something to Han like "Help me do what I have to " and I think Han realized. Just a thought

Habspatrol
01-02-2016, 07:53 PM
I can't post in white on my phone so spoilers below on my theory.

I think kylo and Rey are bro and sis as twins run in the family.....second I think that he will team up with Rey to finally destroy the dark side. I just think that when he said "I will finish what you started" to Vader's mask he might have been saying that he wants to finish killing the emperor/snoke.....he knew Rey was on that planet and was super pissed that she was captured....I think he didn't want the first order to know about her. Hence he leaves one guard to watch Rey? Also I think he had to kill Han to prove to snoke that he could be trusted. He says something to Han like "Help me do what I have to " and I think Han realized. Just a thought

I mean it sounds good... but killing your father is awfully extreme to prove you can be trusted, especially when you already appear to be trusted.

Deckie007
01-02-2016, 08:06 PM
Yeah, just don't see "the dark side being destroyed" thing ever happening...it's really important to the Star Wars lore that both sides exist. There is so much content in the Star Wars universe besides the traditional Skywalker/Rebels storyline they'll never let one triumph over the other.

JackBurton
01-02-2016, 09:04 PM
"Creed" was good. Michael B. Jordan and Stallone are great. The final fight is a real crowd-pleaser.

The lead is so good I'd say he's the Michael Jordan of acting.

Metalleaf
01-02-2016, 11:00 PM
Yeah, just don't see "the dark side being destroyed" thing ever happening...it's really important to the Star Wars lore that both sides exist. There is so much content in the Star Wars universe besides the traditional Skywalker/Rebels storyline they'll never let one triumph over the other.

You can't have darkness without the light and vice-versa.

And Abrams may have borrowed the Jacen and Jaina from the Expanded Universe for this film, but I doubt Rey and Kylo Ren are siblings.

TheCountofMonteCristo
01-02-2016, 11:02 PM
And of course how would Leia and Han not recognize their girl.

Metalleaf
01-02-2016, 11:15 PM
Still like how Ren uses a broadsword.

TheCountofMonteCristo
01-02-2016, 11:15 PM
Still like how Ren uses a broadsword.
Yeah that was cool.

BKerr
01-02-2016, 11:59 PM
And of course how would Leia and Han not recognize their girl.

My theory, its a Jedi mind wipe.

Same reason Rey doesn't realize she has already started her training.

Now I'm not sure if they go with Rey as Luke's daughter or Leia's daughter. I still haven't figured that out.

But I think she was one of the padowans with Ben. She survived Ben going crazy and attacking the other padawans. For her own safety luke put her on the planet, and jedi mind-wiped everyone who knew.... Leia, Han, even Rey.... etc...

BKerr
01-03-2016, 12:00 AM
You can't have darkness without the light and vice-versa.

And Abrams may have borrowed the Jacen and Jaina from the Expanded Universe for this film, but I doubt Rey and Kylo Ren are siblings.

It makes so much more sense for her to be Luke's daughter... except for one thing. And that is the fact that Brother/Sister is so much more powerful a conflict than cousin vs cousin.

Metalleaf
01-03-2016, 12:03 AM
My dad's 2nd cousin is 2nd cousins with Daisy Ridley...so I'll check into that.

Also the real hero of Episode VII

http://img.ifcdn.com/images/050bc2753d4282df45b9087c9de37e067c1a2f5ce44308ef61 718df13cfa316b_1.jpg

UWHabs
01-03-2016, 01:04 AM
Bro/Sis is a pretty good story, but feels like there needs too many holes to make it happen. Cousins work. Another theory I read was that she is Obi-Wan's kid, and now she'll be training under Luke (to give the whole "student becomes master" storyline).

Anyways, there's a lot of ways to go with the storyline. I hope that they make episode 8 to fill in most of the gaps of all these questions we're asking, and then set it up so that 9 can have the epic confrontation, mirroring the original trilogy as well.

BG
01-03-2016, 08:57 AM
I have a feeling that like Anakin was tempted to the darkside to save his wife/unborn child, Luke will be tempted with an impossible choice. We'll know in the first scene of Episode 8 what the relationships are.

Leafin'
01-03-2016, 10:07 AM
Kylo Ren reminds me of JP from Grandma's Boy. Ruins the character a bit for me. You see such a cool villain and he takes off his mask and looks like a complete dork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ltORkYAdVk

worm
01-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Yep. On its own, the movie wouldn't have been much. But with the history, that upgrades it. Heck, it was even awesome to see some of the other old time characters like Admiral Ackbar back and make cameo appearances.

If you're not a Star Wars fan, I doubt you'd become one after watching it. And if you didn't know the history, you'd keep wondering who this bloody Luke character was that they kept trying to find, and why he was so important. But if you're a fan, it was definitely a good movie, and way better than any of the prequel trilogy ones.

Fan or not I think everybody knows who Luke Skywalker is.

I thought Luke was pretty boring and stupid in the original series but he seems like quite the badass as an old man.

worm
01-04-2016, 12:16 PM
It makes so much more sense for her to be Luke's daughter... except for one thing. And that is the fact that Brother/Sister is so much more powerful a conflict than cousin vs cousin.

I am a fan of the theory that she is O-B-1s granddaughter.

Maybe Luke and OB1s daughter's daughter.

worm
01-04-2016, 12:16 PM
Bro/Sis is a pretty good story, but feels like there needs too many holes to make it happen. Cousins work. Another theory I read was that she is Obi-Wan's kid, and now she'll be training under Luke (to give the whole "student becomes master" storyline).

Anyways, there's a lot of ways to go with the storyline. I hope that they make episode 8 to fill in most of the gaps of all these questions we're asking, and then set it up so that 9 can have the epic confrontation, mirroring the original trilogy as well.

Ya. This one.
I like that.

worm
01-04-2016, 12:19 PM
When does the next one come out?

BKerr
01-04-2016, 12:20 PM
When does the next one come out?
The story about how the rebels got control of plans for the death star (ie episode 3.5) comes out in december.

Episode 8 comes out in december 2017.

Then han solo's origin story in 2018

Episode 9 in 2019

Habspatrol
01-04-2016, 12:30 PM
I have my own theory re Rey.

In episode 1 when they discover Annikan and learn that he had no father and he was conceived via immaculate conception. This led them to believe that he was "the one" who the prophecies said would bring balance to the force. Perhaps they were wrong, and in fact it's Rey who was is "the one" and was also an immaculate conception who will bring balance to the force.

BKerr
01-04-2016, 12:31 PM
I have my own theory re Rey.

In episode 1 when they discover Annikan and learn that he had no father and he was conceived via immaculate conception. This led them to believe that he was "the one" who the prophecies said would bring balance to the force. Perhaps they were wrong, and in fact it's Rey who was is "the one" and was also an immaculate conception who will bring balance to the force.

Not bad

LeafOfFaith
01-04-2016, 01:02 PM
I think they've disclaimed Episodes 1-3. Not sure they would build on or tie into anything that had to do with those.

BKerr
01-04-2016, 01:17 PM
I think they've disclaimed Episodes 1-3. Not sure they would build on or tie into anything that had to do with those.

They haven't disclaimed them. They are still cannon... along with the clone wars, and rebels tv series.

They have written a lot of other tie in products out of canon... but not Episodes 1-3.

Metalleaf
01-04-2016, 01:29 PM
Ewen MacGregor did an unaccredited line for Force Awakens...they also made a reference to clone troops in the film and there were rumours of an Anakin cameo...so no, despite the prequels being poorly written they are still canon.

worm
01-04-2016, 02:39 PM
i
The story about how the rebels got control of plans for the death star (ie episode 3.5) comes out in december.

Episode 8 comes out in december 2017.

Then han solo's origin story in 2018

Episode 9 in 2019

oh cool

i did not know they were doing a 3.5 and han solo story

thanks

worm
01-04-2016, 02:40 PM
Ewen MacGregor did an unaccredited line for Force Awakens...they also made a reference to clone troops in the film and there were rumours of an Anakin cameo...so no, despite the prequels being poorly written they are still canon.

i wish they would re-do them

MindzEye
01-04-2016, 02:44 PM
i wish they would re-do them

or just CGI Hayden out of them. Make Anakin Skywalker some sort of CGI alien and dub in better dialogue.