PDA

View Full Version : OT: Vacations

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

hockeylover
07-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Is anyone going away this summer? Share.

Also, we're thinking of going somewhere all-inclusive this summer for cheap. Let me know where you stayed and what you thought of it.

SundinsTooth
07-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Hey HL,

I think we are going to go to Quebec to my fiancee's cottage in the Gatineau hills. We just got a puppy this summer so it is tough to get away now.

CRL
07-12-2011, 02:34 PM
right now having week off at Muskoka.

fergy57
07-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Did Northern Michigan fishing/drinking trip already. Beautiful up there. Basically, fish for the first couple of days, then everyone on the lake takes pontoon boats out into the middle of the lake and hooks up to each other. There is a keg on an 8x8 dock, and the only way to get to it is to walk across an 12' 4x8 plank. Epic.

Also did annual Sauble beach cottage trip, also very nice country. Always a riot. Great weather and was treated to an early morning Thunderstorm on the lake. Was very fun to sit and watch that.

Me and some friends thought of doing an all inclusive last year, after doing a weeks worth of hay baling in about 3 days. We ended up deciding against it, based on the logic: why pay money to go to a warm climate during our own warm weather?

We figured it would be much more rewarding/relaxing to go during the winter months, to break the cold weather up. Unless you are going somewhere like an Alaskan cruise, but that is big $$$.

blkngldbabe
07-12-2011, 02:39 PM
All inclusive in the summer is never a bad idea except for the pretty extreme heat. I've done this a few times as the money it costs to rent a cottage for a week and gas money, food booze entertainment etc adds up to WAY more than an all inclusive. Just sayin.

Hoss
07-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Just came back from Disney...hadn't been since I was nine.. So this time with the kids. I was so impressed with how well they do things there. I reserved my major restaurant meals and had the meal plan, and ate very very well. We stayed in Disney so travelling to each park was a breeze. (I can't imagine going in and out every day. That place is huge)

Not necessarily for the non family. But I could see it not being too bad if you stayed in a nice place (we stayed in the animal kingdom lodge... top notch).

Plus the weather said rain and thunder every day, and all we got was the last day it came down HARD for a few hours) Great trip all around.

hockeylover
07-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Unfortunately I'm so incredibly busy (and broke) during the school year that this is about the only time that makes sense. But yeah, I get your logic.

All inclusive in the summer is never a bad idea except for the pretty extreme heat. I've done this a few times as the money it costs to rent a cottage for a week and gas money, food booze entertainment etc adds up to WAY more than an all inclusive. Just sayin.

I have a friend who works for Sunwing too so it's looking like we'll get 20% off. :thumbup:

Where did you stay?

Hoss
07-12-2011, 02:41 PM
If your doing all inclusive summer go early in July. We went to the mayan riviera (best beaches I have been to... water was a blue I've never seen) but went in August and got caught in a pretty wicked storm.

hairnova
07-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Also, we're thinking of going somewhere all-inclusive this summer for cheap. Let me know where you stayed and what you thought of it.

We went to Dreams Punta Cana in April, really enjoyed it.

There are a few things I can let you know to watch out for if you check it out and are interested in this resort.

runninglow
07-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Just did 2+ weeks in Jasper/Banff with the family...even though the weather was crap (sunny for 3 days out of 16), the hiking was great, the sites beautiful and Alberta steak done medium rare is a gift from the heavens. My 4-year old was really into the hiking, topping 3 km's with no breaks by the end.

leaffan2005
07-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Came back a month ago from Punta Cana with the girlfriend. Gran Bahia Principe Ambar. We went here last year as well and we loved it so much we went back to the same place this year. Awesome resort, 5+ stars, amazingly clean resort (especially the rooms) and the food is exceptional. The beaches are private and taken care of very well and the staff are very cool and fun to be around. Its pretty cheap this time of the year (we booked for around $1100) but if you go to the same place in high season, you're looking at almost $2000 per person.

I would definitely recommend going here.

Hoss
07-12-2011, 04:08 PM
There is a guy on my staff that goes to that resort all the time.. I mean 5 times in the last two years. In fact this time on the way back, dominican immigration went through his stuff like crazy, thinking he was exporting or something. I will have to check it out. I have heard nothing but good things.

sensbk
07-12-2011, 04:11 PM
A good cheap resort that I've been to Iberostar Laguna Azul in Varadero. It opened in Sept of 2009 so it's still new and has nice clean grounds, great pools, an amazing beach, awesome staff... I'm pretty sure everybody that works there speaks four languages and some speak five.

Here's the tripadvisor review for it, not as fancy as some of the other places mentioned but I had a blast there.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147275-d1520230-Reviews-Iberostar_Laguna_Azul-Varadero_Matanzas_Province_Cuba.html

The restaurants are really great but I think it was only three that you get to go to if you're going for a week(or every night if you just sweet talk someone at the door), otherwise go with an open mind food wise and don't drink out of juice fountains and you'll have a fantastic time. Incredibly well stocked bars too for a resort at that price and the most talented bartenders I've ever seen.

j_15
07-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Went to Lisbon a couple of weeks back. Really like the city, and the weather was great.

Got a trip to Canada and Chicago booked for early October, which I'm pretty excited about. Know the weather wont be great by then, but its the only time me and my mates could get long enough off work to make it worthwhile.

voyager
07-12-2011, 04:18 PM
did a road trip to Florida with a stop in DC with the girlfriend back in May. In total, we were gone 12 days. Did the drive down in one day, leaving Toronto at about 10pm on Wednesday got to Daytona on Thursday evening around 7. Stayed there two nights as we went down to Titusville on the Friday to see the shuttle launch (unfortunately it was scrubbed about 2 hours before it took off). The next day we went to the Kennedy Space Centre then we drove to Orlando where we did Disney on the Sunday. Monday was a shopping day then we did 3 days at Universal. My girlfriend is a massive Harry Potter fan so we did the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Literally, she bought a robe, wand and bunch of other stuff and ran around the Harry Potter area in full get up.
With the exception of the Wizarding World, Universal Studios is kinda lame. Disney was much, much better. When we do the trip again (which i'm sure we will in a couple years) we'll probably do the reverse, 3 days at Disney one at Universal.

Then on the way back to Toronto we stopped in Washington DC for 3 nights. Then we got back to Toronto on Monday around midnight.

It was a busy ****ing trip, expensive too. Next trip i'm doing is definitely going to involve laying on a beach getting drunk.

sensbk
07-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Early October is consistently one of the nicest times of the year in Ontario.

CRL
07-12-2011, 04:54 PM
A good cheap resort that I've been to Iberostar Laguna Azul in Varadero. It opened in Sept of 2009 so it's still new and has nice clean grounds, great pools, an amazing beach, awesome staff... I'm pretty sure everybody that works there speaks four languages and some speak five.

Here's the tripadvisor review for it, not as fancy as some of the other places mentioned but I had a blast there.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147275-d1520230-Reviews-Iberostar_Laguna_Azul-Varadero_Matanzas_Province_Cuba.html

The restaurants are really great but I think it was only three that you get to go to if you're going for a week(or every night if you just sweet talk someone at the door), otherwise go with an open mind food wise and don't drink out of juice fountains and you'll have a fantastic time. Incredibly well stocked bars too for a resort at that price and the most talented bartenders I've ever seen.
been there also, but I think Blau Varadero has better beach. hotel is way better

blkngldbabe
07-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Depends on what you want out of your trip. I stayed in Cuba at Breezes Jibacoa. Small resort 200 rooms and no high rise buildings. Only one pool, beach isn't the white soft stuff of Varadero but it's 18+ and has a nice disco and good food and awesome staff. Mind you, it's been over 10 years since I visited. I would do it again in a heartbeat though. It was like 650 per for the week. PLUS early summer the hurricane season hasn't started so less chance of a ruined vacation. Used to be free scuba diving (not just in pool lesson) and all night long all inclusive bar...not like some that end at 1:30ish.

sensbk
07-12-2011, 05:36 PM
been there also, but I think Blau Varadero has better beach. hotel is way better

Yeah we shared a bus to the airport with people that went there, they all had nothing but great things to say. I'd like to try it myself, especially having just looked at the pics and reviews on trip advisor.

Prices are actually better than Laguna Azul to book through sunwing right now too.... Very tempting....

Leafin'
07-12-2011, 06:07 PM
It really depends on what you want out of the trip. I went with the girlfriend a few years back to Varadero and stayed at the Barcelo Solymar. If you're into the younger crowd this place might be for you. Keep in mind i was sh*tting green for a week as the food is disgusting in cuba. Out of all the places ive been, by far the nicest beaches and water.

Cancun is party central, but it sounds like you're going with the wifey, so i would refrain from going there.

Fitzgerald#11
07-12-2011, 06:25 PM
spent the last week on a Carnival cruise, now in Orlando going to Universal the next 2 weeks

heat is crazy down here though

fergy57
07-12-2011, 06:44 PM
I worked at Disney for a co-op from like June-September. Crazy hot there in the summer. The worst part is the humidity.

teeds
07-12-2011, 06:45 PM
If I am not by water in the summer I freak out. Everything is based on getting to water, as fresh as is possible with chemtrail programs worldwide polluting everything pretty badly.

CRL
07-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Yeah we shared a bus to the airport with people that went there, they all had nothing but great things to say. I'd like to try it myself, especially having just looked at the pics and reviews on trip advisor.

Prices are actually better than Laguna Azul to book through sunwing right now too.... Very tempting....
Blau is way smaller in territory but hotel it self just fantastic, and many different cuban musicians playing all day long everywhere

SundinsTooth
07-12-2011, 10:58 PM
If I am not by water in the summer I freak out. Everything is based on getting to water, as fresh as is possible with chemtrail programs worldwide polluting everything pretty badly.

What water do you normally hit up, teeds? I grew up on Owen Sound bay and miss living near water here in KW. I find the drives to a decent lake tedious as well....wondering if you have any tips? Cheers....

Hey Hoss, did you guys get a Savannah View room and was it worth it? Also did you try to eat at Boma's or Jiko's? Both are my faves (as well as Ohana.)

JackBurton
07-12-2011, 11:28 PM
All inclusive is the best deal you can get. It's ridiculous how cheap 4 and 5 star resorts are.

BUT, the heat does hurt your enjoyment a bit no doubt.

BG
07-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Spend every second weekend here in the summer:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/546632/Images/P1000533.JPG

Crystal clear water, an abundance of Walleye/Bass/Pike/Trout, a sauna, and a solar-powered cabin.

Also planning a trip to Salmon Arm/Kelowna this summer for the Roots & Blues Festival in August.

CRL
07-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Spend every second weekend here in the summer:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/546632/Images/P1000533.JPG

Crystal clear water, an abundance of Walleye/Bass/Pike/Trout, a sauna, and a solar-powered cabin.

Also planning a trip to Salmon Arm/Kelowna this summer for the Roots & Blues Festival in August.
NICE!

johnunit
07-13-2011, 11:54 AM
I grew up with a cottage on Georgian Bay (Tiny Township, accross from the lighthouse of Christian Island, for those who know the area) and I was so spoiled by it. Honestly, most of the small lake and river cottages don't really do it for me after that. There were no boats going by really close, you could swim out basically until you got tired, the water was crystal clear, and the property itself was massive. 300ish feet of waterfront, 200 foot deep lot to the road, and then we owned the untouched (since the 1800s or so when it was logged) forest back farther than I ever bothered to go on the other side of the road. It was a genuine log cabin, but built in the 60s so it was in nice condition and all that, 4 bedrooms with a largish kitchen and all that, but not a palace. Unfortunately, my grandparents became too frail to take care of it, and no one else in the family was in a position to take it on.

I can still enjoy my friend's places, on Lake Simcoe and one on a river near Huntsville, but the crowdedness, murky water, etc... It's just not the same.

BG
07-13-2011, 12:24 PM
The place is a two-hour drive from our home, which is too much for most of my family/friends. It's a little isolated, but that's why I love it. Jump out of the evening sauna witout worrying about neighbours - jump in the lake and stare up at the clearest night sky you've ever seen.

Blackheart
07-13-2011, 03:01 PM
I grew up in the area. A great place to grow up and visit, not great to find a good job.

I spent my childhood/teen years on the water. Swimming at the old concrete piers in Midland, or Red Dock in Penetang, the beaches at Tiny. Boating on the bay, or cottaging on Present Island, Midland Point, Tiny or Tay township.

Now I have the Ottawa River. Sigh.

Artnes
07-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Just got back from a two week trip to NL. Good time of year to go because of all the festivals going on. And the weather was actually quite nice.

This is the view from my parents house where I grew up. I kind of resented living there when I was younger because it was so boring but now I have an appreciation for it that I live in a city surrounded by wheat fields and refineries

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3138/2969391509_2e8bd22d7f_o.jpg

Metalleaf
07-13-2011, 06:35 PM
what are these vacations you speak of?

Hoss
07-13-2011, 11:37 PM
What water do you normally hit up, teeds? I grew up on Owen Sound bay and miss living near water here in KW. I find the drives to a decent lake tedious as well....wondering if you have any tips? Cheers....

Hey Hoss, did you guys get a Savannah View room and was it worth it? Also did you try to eat at Boma's or Jiko's? Both are my faves (as well as Ohana.)

we had the savanah view and it was great for the kids....we mostly ate at Boma for breakfasts and had some quick meals at Ohana. Didn't try Jiko. I would say that I was really surprised by the quality of food in most of the places. I wish I would have done more restaurants than buffets, as the restaurants we had were great. Really recommend the yak and yeti in the animal kingdom park. and we had a great japanese (cooking in front of us) in Epcot. Nothing super special but the atmosphere was great for the kids as well.

leafman101
07-14-2011, 09:59 AM
The place is a two-hour drive from our home, which is too much for most of my family/friends. It's a little isolated, but that's why I love it. Jump out of the evening sauna witout worrying about neighbours - jump in the lake and stare up at the clearest night sky you've ever seen.

Love the remote cottages. My exgirlfriend's family used to have one north of Bobcaygeon. It was just a shack built by her grandfather in the 50's, in the middle of the woods. You literally never saw the neighbours (aside from one time when the neighbour, who just happened to be Scott Stevens, was swimming by the dock with his daughter). Only problem was it was a pain in the ass to get to, so you could only go up a few times a summer.

My parents bought one on Simcoe, in Beaverton, a couple years ago, and I thought I'd hate the lack of remoteness, but there is something to be said about being able to get there in 45 minutes, and go whenever you want. Its a nice property though. The neighbours are all blocked out by trees and hedges, so you still feel like you're the only ones there.

But there is still nothing like actually being the only ones there.

mbow30
07-14-2011, 11:13 AM
only interaction with the neighbours is when a ball, frisbee.... or lawn furniture.. lands in their backyard.

Rumpleforeskin
07-14-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm jealous, we're to busy being preggos this summer to go on vacation. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be allowed to go up to the cottage for a weekend after the baby.

Hoss
07-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Our cottage (in laws) is up in Apsley... Chandos Lake. We bought it 11 years ago. The guy apparantly worked for GM.. Won the lottery and tore down the little shack he built and put up a bungalow long style cottage. He blew all his money and his kids were older so he sold it to my in laws. Left everything in there. When we bought it, there were still drinks in the fridge. Now we'd like to put an addition on so that our family can have it's own private spot.

hockeylover
07-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Anyone been to Cuba before and where did you stay? I've heard mixed reviews.

Fitzgerald#11
07-14-2011, 06:41 PM
go to Cayo Coco, good resorts there, amazing beaches too

Bleedsblue&white
07-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Perfect Family vacation; Wife and kids head to the farm for a few days, dad stays home, hangs with friends, drinks, eats steak...when they get home we're all a happy family again.
They leave in about 18 hours.

BURG
07-14-2011, 09:47 PM
heh

BURG
07-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Meanwhile, I still have to figure out what the hell I'm going to do for three weeks in August.

Artnes
07-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Anyone been to Cuba before and where did you stay? I've heard mixed reviews.

Beaches are awesome, people are awesome, Havana is cool but the food is so so. I am not a picky eater but it was pretty bland

Are you looking to party or just to go and relax?

mbow30
07-15-2011, 10:27 AM
she's DTF

Artnes
07-15-2011, 10:34 AM
If that's the case Cancun and go to Coco Bongo. That place is a zoo

hockeylover
07-15-2011, 11:28 AM
A little bit of both. My friend's bf just dumped her after four years so we're both single now. I'm a broke student and she's an unemployed teacher so we're just looking for a good deal.

Metalleaf
07-15-2011, 11:33 AM
If I were you I'd see if you could take a day trip to some of the tobacco fields while in Cuba. I remember watching a travel show on it and it seemed like a fun excursion.

CRL
07-15-2011, 01:48 PM
A little bit of both. My friend's bf just dumped her after four years so we're both single now. I'm a broke student and she's an unemployed teacher so we're just looking for a good deal.
cheapest option is camping trip. Cuba is second option or Mexico

Artnes
07-15-2011, 02:04 PM

What kind of budget are you on? Personally the best bang for your buck would be Cancun. Good night life and nice beaches

I personally don't like the place because it is to commercialized but for two single girls looking to have fun it would be good time.

zeke
07-15-2011, 02:39 PM
costa rica if you want to do more than just lounge.

dirt cheap, and everything from jungles to beach there.

hockeylover
07-15-2011, 03:11 PM
We were looking at a Barcelo in Cuba for around 700 so it's pretty much a shoestring budget. Under 900 preferably. If my friend that works for Sunwing pills through with his discount we're looking at Riu Naiboa in the DR.

Artnes
07-15-2011, 03:35 PM
CR is on my list after we head to Ireland for our honeymoon

Can't party like I used to so lounge locations are right up my alley

mbow30
07-15-2011, 03:50 PM
you for sure can, you just have to retrain your liver.

a few days before oweek leafman visited london and we went pretty hard on the rum. my liver returned to peak performance almost immediately, and i partied as hard as ever -- at 26 years old -- during o-week last year.

i've gone a bit soft this summer. but have no fear, late august will roll around and i'll be sure to get back in shape for another go-round in early sept.

Artnes
07-15-2011, 08:27 PM
I'll test that out when I come to TO. Plan on going to the home opener this year. Found 4 seats in the first balcony behind our goal for 270 each. Pricey but worth the trip

Anyone else planning on going?

teeds
07-15-2011, 08:37 PM
I don't know if we will have Stamkos by then, but I want to go to the opener as well. Just kidding about Stamkos btw. Don't shoot the joker.

Artnes
07-15-2011, 08:42 PM
You should be able to get some good seats Teeds. Down with the suits in the platinum

Hoss
07-15-2011, 08:46 PM

she teach in the tdsb??? not trying to hook up or anything.. just wondering:smile(21):

theREALkoreaboy
07-15-2011, 09:38 PM
i'm taking the wife to the local motel 6. i hear they have hourly rates.

WellPlayed
07-15-2011, 09:54 PM
I went to Varadero with a bunch of friends at the beginning of May. It was a great time, tons of people our age there to party. The bars were packed every night if you wanted to go off the resort. Now we went at the end of the school year and to a dirt cheap resort, so that helped with the party scene. I would definitely go back though. It took a solid week before I felt normal again from seven days of all day all night drinking.

hockeylover
07-16-2011, 01:12 AM
I went to Varadero with a bunch of friends at the beginning of May. It was a great time, tons of people our age there to party. The bars were packed every night if you wanted to go off the resort. Now we went at the end of the school year and to a dirt cheap resort, so that helped with the party scene. I would definitely go back though. It took a solid week before I felt normal again from seven days of all day all night drinking.

Yeah, hopefully we get a lot of students/people in their 20s. Glad to hear you had a good experience in Cuba though. Gonna have to creep your facebook pics now and see what it was like, lol. What was the resort?

she teach in the tdsb??? not trying to hook up or anything.. just wondering

Kawartha Pine Ridge. She's a substitute.

Leafovic
07-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Any of you been to New York? I wanna go.
The nice thing about New York is that you can find accomodation with people who regularly rent out for tourists quite easily. So it doesn't have to be expensive.

JackBurton
07-17-2011, 11:21 PM
I went to Temptation Resort in Cancun in May. Lots of chances to get laid with chicks of all ages.

JackBurton
07-17-2011, 11:23 PM
If that's the case Cancun and go to Coco Bongo. That place is a zoo

Oh yeah. Went there a couple of nights recently. Crazy there.

JackBurton
07-17-2011, 11:24 PM
go to Cayo Coco, good resorts there, amazing beaches too

It's beautiful there, but have they increased the activity there? I went 5 years ago and found it rather dull.

mbow30
07-17-2011, 11:38 PM
was hoping to go to vietnam this summer but the three weeks i had penciled in for the trip has turned to 2, and between the time it takes to travel there (the only reasonably priced departure i could find would take 24 hours), and the expense im' not sure it's worth it to do that now.

looking into costa rica for 7-10 days...

Artnes
07-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Just a warning to anyone traveling down south make sure you get your shots and be extra careful about what and where you eat. I recently picked up a bad parasite and have been sick since May. Dropped over 25 lbs and have been through endless amounts of tests to try and locate the exact problem. I am finally starting to get over it now but its been a rough ride

No matter how careful you think you are don't chance it. I don't wish this one anyone

mbow30
07-18-2011, 09:53 AM
where down south?

as for parasites.. you can get them anywhere. i got one in (i think) spain. was sick for a month and same thing with the weight loss (put off 20-25 pounds).

Artnes
07-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Mexico (Puerto Vallarta). There is no doubt you can get them anywhere but the one particular one I picked up (Giardia) is passed on most through water sources (or food) contaminated with sewage.

It was a week to day I got back when it started. I knew it was something from down there but having countless tests done with no results was a little scary.

mbow30
07-18-2011, 10:04 AM
yeah same with me (tests showed nothing). i got sick during my last day in spain (9th or 10th day there) so i must have caught it there. put off 20+ pounds. the worst was the pain -- for the first 10 days i was sick it felt like somebody was stabbing me in the stomach and running the knife back and forth along my waste line. just brutal.

LeafGm
07-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks for giving me yet another reason to never go to Mexico!

Blackheart
07-18-2011, 11:32 AM
I once got a parasite right here at home. Thats the problem with not gargling with whisky after performing analingus. It was pretty nasty.

zeke
07-18-2011, 12:12 PM
http://www.bloodsprayer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/alien-chest-burster.jpg

JohnnyHolmes
07-18-2011, 12:46 PM
I went to Coco Bongo's a few months ago.

I thought it was kind of a bait and switch operation. I was expecting to see some tribute bands, not some lame ass production show.

You can't go wrong with the $60 all you can drink part, plus the entertainment was ok to see once. I found it way overhyped though. I'd never go back.

BURG
07-24-2011, 07:01 AM
I posted this in the Habs fourm and figured I'd post it here too in case you may have some suggestions... read on.

So, the tentative plan for me right now is to be making stops in these cities in August and more than likely in this order from Nova Scotia to...

Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Pittsburgh, Chicago, Toronto and then back to Nova Scotia. Montreal may be a stop if I have time. If not, I'll just be driving through on my way back to Nova Scotia.

I'll be spending at least one night in each of these places and I will be driving. It's roughly a 5,670.7 km round trip. Out of the cities listed, I have been to New York, Chicago, Toronto and Montreal. If you guys have any suggestions of things I should see in either one of the cities, let me know. I will probably be taking in ball games at each city as well... well maybe except for Boston. When I'm planning on being there the Yankees are there and the tickets are really expensive for shitty seats.

mbow30
07-24-2011, 10:51 AM
i'd drop the cash for the sox-yanks game. a sox-yanks game during the middle of the stretch run at fenway? that'll be awesome. don't pass that up.

BURG
07-24-2011, 03:07 PM
I decided that I am going to the Red Sox/Yankees game... sunday night baseball, August 7th.

teeds
07-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Mexico (Puerto Vallarta). There is no doubt you can get them anywhere but the one particular one I picked up (Giardia) is passed on most through water sources (or food) contaminated with sewage.

It was a week to day I got back when it started. I knew it was something from down there but having countless tests done with no results was a little scary.

Parasites are the key to everything. Kill the bad ones and enhance the good ones, is what REAL medicine is all about. Regular doctors are as useless as Aki Berg with parasites. And thus, they are totally useless, unless you break a leg and even then they are pretty bad.

good luck with that, the gardia frequencies are 20,727,465,528,919,5000,2128. You will never get rid of the buggers with antibiotics. They will go into other areas, and reappear as something sinister in the future. But hey, what do I know?

teeds
07-24-2011, 04:47 PM
I once got a parasite right here at home. Thats the problem with not gargling with whisky after performing analingus. It was pretty nasty.

Don't laugh about that. I saw a prominent Toronto Maple Leaf doing just that in front of about 120 people six years ago at a party. With some unwitting stewardess. He must have been operational/blacked out.. It was alternatively the most disgusting AND humurous thing I have seen at a party.

Hoss
07-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Any of you been to New York? I wanna go.
The nice thing about New York is that you can find accomodation with people who regularly rent out for tourists quite easily. So it doesn't have to be expensive.

really?? where do you find this kind of stuff. The wife and I want to do a weekend trip to New York and the last time she went she stayed in the smallest (yet very nice ) hotel. I wouldn't mind staying in an apartment thing.

hockeylover
07-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Parasites are the key to everything. Kill the bad ones and enhance the good ones, is what REAL medicine is all about. Regular doctors are as useless as Aki Berg with parasites. And thus, they are totally useless, unless you break a leg and even then they are pretty bad.

good luck with that, the gardia frequencies are 20,727,465,528,919,5000,2128. You will never get rid of the buggers with antibiotics. They will go into other areas, and reappear as something sinister in the future. But hey, what do I know?

Good parasites?

Blueman
07-24-2011, 10:01 PM
i think he means bacteria..

angelfish
07-25-2011, 09:01 AM
I posted this in the Habs fourm and figured I'd post it here too in case you may have some suggestions... read on.

So, the tentative plan for me right now is to be making stops in these cities in August and more than likely in this order from Nova Scotia to...

Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Pittsburgh, Chicago, Toronto and then back to Nova Scotia. Montreal may be a stop if I have time. If not, I'll just be driving through on my way back to Nova Scotia.

I'll be spending at least one night in each of these places and I will be driving. It's roughly a 5,670.7 km round trip. Out of the cities listed, I have been to New York, Chicago, Toronto and Montreal. If you guys have any suggestions of things I should see in either one of the cities, let me know. I will probably be taking in ball games at each city as well... well maybe except for Boston. When I'm planning on being there the Yankees are there and the tickets are really expensive for shitty seats.

Hope you have/using a GPS. I can't seem to navigate my way out of a phone booth. LOL.
With all that traveling you'll inevitably make a wrong turn (saw that in a horror movie once. :( )

blkngldbabe
07-25-2011, 10:43 AM
where down south?

as for parasites.. you can get them anywhere. i got one in (i think) spain. was sick for a month and same thing with the weight loss (put off 20-25 pounds).

You boys could bottle that and sell it as a quick fix diet plan.

Bleedsblue&white
07-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Don't laugh babe, there is a "intestinal worm," diet.
Saw it on some show; You basically allow this one worm to grow and live in you until you've hit your weight. The problem is removing it; the best way is to take this medicine that causes the worm to want to leave your body...and that requires you sitting in the throne while the thing slowly, slowly crawls out of you.

blkngldbabe
07-25-2011, 12:00 PM
How pleasant. *shudder*

blkngldbabe
07-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Check THIS (http://fray.com/drugs/worm/01.html) story out. ewwww.

TheCountofMonteCristo
07-25-2011, 06:46 PM
A good tapeworm never hurt nobody.

We just got back from holiday. Contessa, Count Jr and I went to NYC and Montreal (Count Jr was in the Canadiens' hockey school). She spent a ton in NYC shopping. I shudder at my mastercard bill next month.

JaysCyYoung
07-25-2011, 06:57 PM
A good tapeworm never hurt nobody.

We just got back from holiday. Contessa, Count Jr and I went to NYC and Montreal (Count Jr was in the Canadiens' hockey school). She spent a ton in NYC shopping. I shudder at my mastercard bill next month.

http://www.murphywhips.com/Mike%20Murphy%20whip%20cracking%20at%20the%20natio nals-medium.jpg

TheCountofMonteCristo
07-25-2011, 07:24 PM
I laughed at a guy in the office once when I complained about how much money my family goes through. His wife is a stay at home, he's 33 and already has four children and wants two more. He asked me well don't you have a budget. I said yeah like I can control what my wife spends. She works too and makes decent coin (she works four days a week and stays home with Count Jr on the fifth day) but I make more than double what she does. Whenever I try to bring up the subject of limiting her spending or complaining that she is spending my money, needless to say it does not go over very well ;)

BURG
07-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Hope you have/using a GPS. I can't seem to navigate my way out of a phone booth. LOL.
With all that traveling you'll inevitably make a wrong turn (saw that in a horror movie once. :( )

I drove through Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Chicago and Milwaukee on my way to Winnipeg and Alberta last summer. It was only up until about three years ago that I used to do the map thing all the time. However, I do use GPS now.

blkngldbabe
07-27-2011, 04:12 PM
*SHUDDER* WRong turn. Nobody read my Tape worm thing?? It's both hilarious and barfmaking.

hockeylover
07-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Varadero in 9 days. :party:

fergy57
07-27-2011, 07:23 PM
yeah quite a layout on that tapeworm thing babe.

funny though, he/she thought it was spaghetti at first.

fergy57
07-27-2011, 07:23 PM

gratz.

blkngldbabe
07-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Yay Varadero!!! SO nice with the white sand and great resort dances.

JohnnyHolmes
07-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Cuba in the summer?

Porque?

hockeylover
07-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Cuba in the summer?

Porque?

Friend just got dumped, wanted to get away. Also kinda limited in when I could get a week off.

angelfish
07-28-2011, 12:22 PM

I wanted to go to Cuba this summer, however I'm due to get my hip re-replaced and I
kinda don't want to be out of the country if ol lefty should fail. :frown2:

SundinsTooth
07-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Just in the planning stages for a July 2012 destination wedding in Punta Cana - anyone been? Specifically, anyone been to the Melia Caribe Tropical resort? Hows the food?

blkngldbabe
07-28-2011, 02:54 PM
My whole family is currently in Punta Cana. I"ll give a report once they're back.

hockeylover
07-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Just in the planning stages for a July 2012 destination wedding in Punta Cana - anyone been? Specifically, anyone been to the Melia Caribe Tropical resort? Hows the food?

I've heard good things about the Melia chain but that's just second hand info, never been.

hockeylover
08-12-2011, 06:28 PM
back from varadero. resort majorly sucked but had a wicked time anyway. i'll post more once i recover.

Leafovic
08-12-2011, 06:37 PM
NYC for me Sept 30 to Oct 6

TheCountofMonteCristo
08-12-2011, 07:48 PM
NYC for me Sept 30 to Oct 6

I was just there, it was great. I loved the M&M's store in Times' Square

BURG
11-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Resurrecting an old thread here, but, I am considering going to New Zealand in February. That being said, who here has been to New Zealand and what are some places to visit and things to see and do that you would recommend? On the list is Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound, Auckland, Queenstown, Mt. Cook, etc. I've also looked into the TranzAlpine train ride, the Glowworm caves and the Glaciers.

So, and this goes for anyone (even if you haven't been there but heard about/read about places), any suggestions?

JohnnyHolmes
11-15-2012, 09:50 AM
I spent a month in NZ a couple of years ago. Queenstown was by far the most fun place I went. So much to do. Shotover jet boat, canyon swing, bungee jumps, sky diving. It's the extreme sport capital of the planet. Auckland is pretty nice as well. I had trouble finding the "happening" part of town though. The CBD is pretty quiet.

While there I did a 10 day south island tour and it was pretty good. www.hakatours.com was the company I went with. The US dollar (which I was in possession of at the time) was much stronger when I was there so it was like paying 1/2 price for everything. Not sure where it's at now though...I know the Australian dollar has skyrocketed since.

Do it.

angelfish
11-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Just in Punta Cana (Dominica Republic) last week, good times 2777

BURG
11-15-2012, 12:28 PM
I spent a month in NZ a couple of years ago. Queenstown was by far the most fun place I went. So much to do. Shotover jet boat, canyon swing, bungee jumps, sky diving. It's the extreme sport capital of the planet. Auckland is pretty nice as well. I had trouble finding the "happening" part of town though. The CBD is pretty quiet.

While there I did a 10 day south island tour and it was pretty good. www.hakatours.com was the company I went with. The US dollar (which I was in possession of at the time) was much stronger when I was there so it was like paying 1/2 price for everything. Not sure where it's at now though...I know the Australian dollar has skyrocketed since.

Do it.

I'll have about 14 days there. Well, in reality, I have 19 days, but taking into account the travel, I say 14 days. I've already looked into the Shotover canyon swing and the jet boat. As well, I think I will do some street luge. I know that I won't have enough time to do everything that I'd like, so I have to pick and choose what to do. $1 CDN = $1.23 NZD at the moment.

MyNameIsJonas
11-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Came back a month ago from Punta Cana with the girlfriend. Gran Bahia Principe Ambar. We went here last year as well and we loved it so much we went back to the same place this year. Awesome resort, 5+ stars, amazingly clean resort (especially the rooms) and the food is exceptional. The beaches are private and taken care of very well and the staff are very cool and fun to be around. Its pretty cheap this time of the year (we booked for around $1100) but if you go to the same place in high season, you're looking at almost $2000 per person.

I would definitely recommend going here.

I've been to the Grand Bahia Principe in Akumal.....and it was unbeleiveable.

worm
11-15-2012, 12:37 PM
I was just there, it was great. I loved the M&M's store in Times' Square

Is that the one I bought a truckload of Reese at?
I think it was the same store.

worm
11-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Thinking of Cuba this winter.

hairnova
11-15-2012, 12:39 PM
We're going back sometime in April, probably to the Dominican.

leafman101
11-15-2012, 12:40 PM
I'll have about 14 days there. Well, in reality, I have 19 days, but taking into account the travel, I say 14 days. I've already looked into the Shotover canyon swing and the jet boat. As well, I think I will do some street luge. I know that I won't have enough time to do everything that I'd like, so I have to pick and choose what to do. $1 CDN = $1.23 NZD at the moment.

I was there for about the same amount of time. We rented a car and drove down to Queenstown and then flew back to Auckland. Queenstown is definitely a must. Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch are just trypical big cities. You're not missing out if you don't go there, but there is a good nightlife. Though I;m not sure what Christchurch is like now after the earthquake.

Taupo is a cool little town with lots of volcano stuff. I really wanted to do the Tangeraro Crossing there, which is a hike over a super volcano, but it was too windy when I was there. There was also a pretty awesome ropes course somewhere around there.

I also stopped in Nelson which is a cool little hippy town on the south island. Its near a bunch of national parks so there is lots to do around there too.

You won't be able to get everything in, but you can see a lot in a short amount of time. Everything is pretty close together. It'll only take a few hours max to get from one city/destination to the next one.

corksens
11-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Going back to Mayan Riviera this year. My company is having a trip and I get a 750 credit for hitting some targets.

All in the trip will cost my gf and I $1500 total. Not bad for 7-days at a 5-star.

worm
11-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Going back to Mayan Riviera this year. My company is having a trip and I get a 750 credit for hitting some targets.

All in the trip will cost my gf and I $1500 total. Not bad for 7-days at a 5-star.

that is DAMN good

corksens
11-15-2012, 12:48 PM
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g153510-d209429-Reviews-Aventura_Spa_Palace-Puerto_Aventuras_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Oh, I should have included the fact that I am using $400 bucks in travels points from my credit card as well.

But yea, $750 a person out of pocket is amazing.

Leafovic
11-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Due to aeroplan miles...I have enough miles for a trip to any city up to about 3-4hrs away. It isn't ever totally free as it doesn't include taxes. But basically I can get a $600 trip for about $200...not bad.

Wayward DP
11-15-2012, 01:08 PM

I spent about 8 days there a couple years ago (not nearly enough time). As has been mentioned, Queenstown is a must. If you're up for it I'd go bungee jumping while you're there. Three different sites to choose from... Kawarau is I think the oldest bungee in the world, and a beautiful spot. If you're more of a daredevil you can go with Nevis. There are some amazing hikes around Queenstown as well. Mt Ben Lomond is pretty incredible. About 6 hours round trip, and reasonably physically challenging, but the views are well worth it. Milford Sound is spectacular as well. The drive out is simply stunning. Make sure you get a boat ride once you're out there too.

Auckland I found kinda meh, but there's lots to do around the city. Canyoning was pretty fun, and a cool way to see some of the country. I went to Rotorua too, but that was mainly to go Zorbing, and aside from that, there really isn't much there.

fergy57
11-15-2012, 01:12 PM
I have deer hunt coming up, that's a sweet vacation.

Unfortunately, my parents want to take the family to Cuba over Christmas as well. With me seeking employment at the moment, and already earmarking a week off for deer hunt, Cuba for me does not sound like a viable option :(.

A little dissapointing because I have never been off of this continent.

Hoss
11-15-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm doing gran Bahia ambar in march. A buddy of mine goes like three times a year to the same place. He is one of those exec members so he got us his deal. Glad to hear great things.

I just got back from the best New York weekend. Flew out Friday from porter (awesome) did some shopping dinner at bar americain bobby flays place. Then tickets to Book of Mormon. The next day was tours of the city on the busses. Shopping. Then tickets to Bill maher at the beacon. Then the wayans brothers at Caroline's. all while staying at the Hilton. And all comped by my sister in law

JohnnyHolmes
11-15-2012, 01:33 PM
I stayed at the Grand Princess in Playa Del Carmen a few years ago. Cost $1300 + tipping every staff member imaginable all the time. It was a few months after the explosion and part of it was still closed.

It's a decent area. You'll have a good laugh at the guy selling $8 Coronas in the airport parking lot. I had a pretty good time if you factor out the chick I went with melting down on day 3.

Lots to do. I went to Chichen Itza one day, took a ferry over to Cozumel on another, and of course drank copious amounts of Corona throughout the week.

Downtown PDC is pretty cool too. Lots of vendors and massage girls always working you but never felt unsafe there. Beautiful beach there as well.

GT's to be had.

corksens
11-15-2012, 01:40 PM
I stayed at a Riu palace in PDC last year so I know the area. I agree - never felt unsafe.

I wouldn't have gone back necessarily, but the cost was right and it's always alot of fun to go down with a group.

voyager
11-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Last January i stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres http://www.excellence-resorts.com/caribbean-and-mexico-destinations/excellence-playa-mujeres
Was absolutely amazing, had an upgraded room with a private plunge pool. Only thing that sucked was that my ex came with and only put out once - and just starfished.

This year i"m planning to do a couple smaller trips, Boston in February, possibly San Fran and Napa in spring/summer and hopefully will hit up Ireland in the fall -still toying with the idea of hitting Octoberfest. Though i'll definitely have to look at pricing.

corksens
11-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Low-to-no sex drive is the first sign of a failing relationship.

Glad you got out of that. Now go find some strange in other cities.

JohnnyHolmes
11-15-2012, 01:47 PM
I spent about 8 days there a couple years ago (not nearly enough time). As has been mentioned, Queenstown is a must. If you're up for it I'd go bungee jumping while you're there. Three different sites to choose from... Kawarau is I think the oldest bungee in the world, and a beautiful spot. If you're more of a daredevil you can go with Nevis. There are some amazing hikes around Queenstown as well. Mt Ben Lomond is pretty incredible. About 6 hours round trip, and reasonably physically challenging, but the views are well worth it. Milford Sound is spectacular as well. The drive out is simply stunning. Make sure you get a boat ride once you're out there too.

Auckland I found kinda meh, but there's lots to do around the city. Canyoning was pretty fun, and a cool way to see some of the country. I went to Rotorua too, but that was mainly to go Zorbing, and aside from that, there really isn't much there.

From my experience, NZ is not small at all. While cities may be 200 km apart it can take you 7 or 8 hours of driving up and down mountains to get anywhere. The single lane two way traffic bridges are also pretty interesting.

I had never bungee jumped before, and thought I was going to do the Nevis...until I saw a video of it. Changed my mind. I did do the Kawarau bridge though, but even then it took me a while to actually do the jump. One of their selling points was that some drunk had got turned away one day, and decided to jump off the bridge minus bungee and he still lived. Plus I watched 5 or 6 people go ahead of me but still...for me it was tougher than skydiving was.

If you like surfing there is a town named Kaikoura that is all about it. If you're on a tight sched, you should really think about one of the tours I posted the link to. They were totally flexible with mine. The 7 day and the 12 day were the same group, just a couple split after day 7, I split on day 10 and the rest finished on day 12. Group just got progressively smaller.

There was about 8 of us. All solo travelers except for a father / son that had a private room. So 6 of us usually stayed in the same room in hostels. 3 chicks / 3 guys. None hot, all not single anyway, but pretty sure they were all down for some vacation bone. Didn't try (wasn't really interested) but definitely got that vibe from each one of them.

Accommodations were all pretty decent. Some crappier than others. Actually I think the worst one was the Base backpackers in Christchurch. Bathrooms of death.

Anyway, hostels and backpackers are all over the place down there. It was bearable for me. We got around in a van. Tour guide was a guy named Si (Simon) he was awesome. They all seem to have really laid back / chill personalities. Definitely worth it. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

JohnnyHolmes
11-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Just for perspective. This is the Nevis bungy.

http://www.hooksfamily.co.uk/gapyear/images/simon_nevis004_nz_2001.jpg

http://www.lakevista.co.nz/images/nevis_bungy_lge.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Jump_from_nevis_bungee_platform.jpg

http://alamwahd.com/ar/share-learn/index/videoimg/18328

http://www.push.ca/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.38.71/blownOutRed.jpg

Two from my group did do it.

They told me that when you are done your jump, you have to pull a release pin from your ankles so that you can sit upright in the harness when they haul you back up to the platform. Apparently one woman was so freaked out and in panic mode that she refused to pull the pin and got brought up upside down which made her even worse.

Scary ass shit.

corksens
11-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Do not want.

PlayerToBeNamedLater
11-15-2012, 02:23 PM
I've skydived, but I still can't bring myself to bungy jumping.

angelfish
11-15-2012, 02:52 PM
I stayed at a Riu palace in PDC last year so I know the area. I agree - never felt unsafe.

I wouldn't have gone back necessarily, but the cost was right and it's always alot of fun to go down with a group.

this is where I stayed. Very nice (very large) place.

JohnnyHolmes
11-15-2012, 02:58 PM
I was adrenalin rushing.

I took so long that I had one guy telling me not to look down, to focus on the mountain and to just jump, and all I remember thinking was "what's the point of that?"

The whole reason for doing it is to face what you fear and to overcome it. I didn't want to distract myself. I had a chick on the other side grab my hand. I really can't remember what they were saying to me, but I do remember the guy saying "you're not listening to me" at least twice.

I took a deep breath and did a perfect swan dive. I have the whole thing on DVD, it's pretty funny to watch. The actual jump was over in a second. Split second free fall and then you feel the cord slowing you down. Then some guys in a raft came and picked me up.

I'm glad I did it. It's the perfect place for your first jump. It's a really nice spot, the mountains are in the background, the water is icy blue, the bridge isn't really that high. 141 feet.

northernlou
11-15-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm still cool with Wonderland for my thrills n' chills.

JohnnyHolmes
11-15-2012, 03:03 PM
http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/0e6feeb5-cce5-4caa-a13d-305dccab4b59.jpg

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/1/875222_f71eb5e956.jpg

http://www.dosomethingdifferent.com/images/store/experience/landscape_image/231/Kawarau_Bridge_Bungy_Jump1.jpg?1331572996

Wish I had my Go Pro for that vacation.

voyager
11-15-2012, 03:42 PM
I definitely want to bungee jump at least once in my life, and I really want do it in a very scenic location, preferably off a bridge. So NZ is high on that list!

zeke
11-15-2012, 04:06 PM
just wanted to use this thread to express my deep hatred of the term "VayKay".

corksens
11-15-2012, 04:06 PM
"Staycation" is far worse.

Having a vacation in the city you live in? What a stupid idea.

zeke
11-15-2012, 04:08 PM
I hate people.

Montana
11-15-2012, 04:13 PM
just wanted to use this thread to express my deep hatred of the term "VayKay".

...sounds like my buddy who is driven crazy by the term "appys"

zeke
11-15-2012, 04:13 PM
KB uses them both.

Montana
11-15-2012, 04:14 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Jump_from_nevis_bungee_platform.jpg

http://www.push.ca/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.38.71/blownOutRed.jpg

They told me that when you are done your jump, you have to pull a release pin from your ankles so that you can sit upright in the harness when they haul you back up to the platform. Apparently one woman was so freaked out and in panic mode that she refused to pull the pin and got brought up upside down which made her even worse.

Scary ass shit.

I'd like to give that a go....went bungie jumping a couple times here in BC and it didn't do much for me.

theREALkoreaboy
11-15-2012, 04:36 PM
KB uses them both.

i can say that until this very second, the terms "vaykay" and "appy" have never left my lips or my keyboard. and neither has "vajayjay"

corksens
11-15-2012, 04:38 PM
We already knew a vajayjay has never touched your lips, don't worry.

PlayerToBeNamedLater
11-15-2012, 04:39 PM
http://jeffpicard.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/rim-shot-johnny-utah.thumbnail.jpg

theREALkoreaboy
11-15-2012, 04:41 PM

i said it never LEFT my lips. hell, i'm sitting here with a vajayjay on my lips right now....

JohnnyHolmes
11-15-2012, 04:42 PM
I definitely want to bungee jump at least once in my life, and I really want do it in a very scenic location, preferably off a bridge. So NZ is high on that list!

Bonus is that the southern hemisphere's summer is in our winter. Probably looking at at least $2K for a plane ticket though. Plus, if you want to do stuff, it costs money on top of the tour prices. It's going to cost you. I spent $4K in a month and I didn't have to pay for the flight. You can certainly do it cheaper than that, but I figured that it would be a long time before I ever got back, if ever. There is no sense in sweating over money.

corksens
11-15-2012, 04:43 PM
i said it never LEFT my lips. hell, i'm sitting here with a vajayjay on my lips right now....And to think you posted that from a school computer.

What a pervert.

Montana
11-15-2012, 04:44 PM

*stands.....starts slow clap*

theREALkoreaboy
11-15-2012, 04:44 PM
thats the only thing keeping me from aus/NZ- ridiculous airfare. if i have a week or two to kill on a vaykay, spending two whole days travelling and paying $2k+ to do it is a big downer.

corksens
11-15-2012, 04:46 PM
thats the only thing keeping me from aus/NZ- ridiculous airfare. if i have a week or two to kill on a vaykay, spending two whole days travelling and paying $2k+ to do it is a big downer.How about those two whole months you get off every year? Could you manage to fit it into that tight hole in your schedule?

JohnnyHolmes
11-15-2012, 04:53 PM
NZ weather is shit at that time of year. Hell, Wellington in February felt like November back home.

JohnnyHolmes
11-15-2012, 05:00 PM
The flight wasn't that bad either. I went from AUK to LAX in 11 hours. There is a flight to YVR that can't be much longer than that. I had a pretty unique situation where I finished a contract in NZ, then got my scheduler to agree to fly me to my next contract which is against policy, so my final destination was Aruba. I can't remember the whole flight path, but I got to MIA at around 11:00pm, overnight in a hotel, and flew to Aruba the next AM. It was something like 10,000 miles total.

voyager
11-15-2012, 05:06 PM
i said it never LEFT my lips. hell, i'm sitting here with a vajayjay on my lips right now....

http://techredible.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/You-keep-using-that-word1-300x252.jpg

voyager
11-15-2012, 05:08 PM
"Staycation" is far worse.

Having a vacation in the city you live in? What a stupid idea.

A guy I work with always uses that term and his other favourite is Puerto-Backyardia, I seriously want to punch him when says that. A very annoying sentence, "Oh I'm having a glorious stay-cation in beautiful Puerto Backyardia"

corksens
11-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Kill him.

JaysCyYoung
11-15-2012, 05:18 PM
I'm pretty sure the Criminal Code would make allowances for murder in that situation.

Montana
11-15-2012, 05:21 PM
"Staycation" is an abhorrent term......but a common mistake many make, is not putting in the effort to enjoy the brilliance of the city/province around them.

JohnnyHolmes
11-15-2012, 05:21 PM
A guy I work with always uses that term and his other favourite is Puerto-Backyardia, I seriously want to punch him when says that. A very annoying sentence, "Oh I'm having a glorious stay-cacation in beautiful Puerto Backyardia".

I have never heard anyone say either of those, but Puerto Backyardia is kind of funny. I mean the first time hearing it.

voyager
11-15-2012, 05:23 PM
I have never heard anyone say either of those, but Puerto Backyardia is kind of funny. I mean the first time hearing it.

No, it isn't.

JohnnyHolmes
11-15-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm definitely using it. Staycation too, just to piss people off.

Funny enough, when I am on vacation, I go home.

theREALkoreaboy
11-15-2012, 05:54 PM
i think puerta backyarda is kinda funny, actually.

KingTucker
11-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Didn't go anywhere really exotic this year but got a "surprise vacation" when a friend needed to close a cottage in the Perce Rock area in Gaspe...the road trip was quite palatable except for the hour or so snarl in Montreal around 8:30 a.m.. That area is just fantastic, great to unwind those nerves.
People were invariably helpful and self-effacing but stuff was fairly overpriced. The seafood sauce spaghetti at $25 was...reasonably priced but couldn't finish it, just too much stuff. Really good though, especially with beer on the cheap.

Air was clean as all getout though. Buddy and I would get up, walk two miles to the nearest convenience store to get the paper (Journal de Montreal or Le Soleil), some crap to eat and then walk back. Gave us a nice change of pace from sitting around a computer until we plugged in the laptop for NHL news and to watch some classic movies (we're doing a run of classics, saw Princess Mononoke and The Big Sleep and Three Colors: Red over that week). Actually got a picture of my lardass taken at Perce Rock/Beach so I'll get a copy of that sometime and post it...but it was super rainy, bleh.
But yeah, if you can do without the enormous amenities a city has to offer, Perce/Maritime areas are fantastic. Oh, having to activate the pump for water and so on was heh, but the cottage was awesome.

10ish hours each way if you speed, took us 13 back because we followed the coast. As far as hockey sweaters, didn't see many but I did see a few guys in Habs jerseys and one Leafs cap...

JohnnyHolmes
11-15-2012, 07:32 PM
How about this for a "girls only" resort visit or cruise.

Straycation.

hockeylover
11-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Not really a vacation but next trip will likely be a road trip to Boston or Chicago.

Montana
11-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Come to Vancouver for the Giants November 28th game against the Moose Jaw Warriors to see Morgan Reilly.........drinks on me.

JohnnyHolmes
11-15-2012, 07:45 PM
I think I am going to hit Cuba for the March break. Never been there.

Habspatrol
11-15-2012, 08:32 PM
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g153510-d209429-Reviews-Aventura_Spa_Palace-Puerto_Aventuras_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Oh, I should have included the fact that I am using $400 bucks in travels points from my credit card as well.

But yea, $750 a person out of pocket is amazing.

Curious how serious you guys are getting. You flipping the whole bill?

corksens
11-15-2012, 09:30 PM
I am not. She prefers to pay her way. Which is just fine by me.

My perks make it cheap for us both. That's a fair deal.

Deckie007
11-15-2012, 10:17 PM
In 2010 and 2011 I did solo trips to Europe, namely Ireland, England, Germany, and Denmark. This year I did a road trip to the Sugenay Valley in Quebec and it was great too. Not sure what I'm doing next year, but would like to visit Iceland and maybe get back to Denmark as I simply wasn't there long enough. Would like to visit South America too...so much of the world yet to see, so little time and money to do it.

Habspatrol
11-15-2012, 10:22 PM

Wow... sweet deal.

JohnnyHolmes
11-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Wow... sweet deal.

I bet she's one of those book reading girls.

Habspatrol
11-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Oh... bummer.

worm
11-15-2012, 10:55 PM
I dont get it.

JohnnyHolmes
11-15-2012, 10:58 PM
In 2010 and 2011 I did solo trips to Europe, namely Ireland, England, Germany, and Denmark. This year I did a road trip to the Sugenay Valley in Quebec and it was great too. Not sure what I'm doing next year, but would like to visit Iceland and maybe get back to Denmark as I simply wasn't there long enough. Would like to visit South America too...so much of the world yet to see, so little time and money to do it.

You are so right.

South America is pretty damn cool. I've been up and down both coasts, and I spent a month in Peru this past summer.

Highlights:

Buenos Aires
Punta Del Este, Uruguay
Vina Del Mar, Chile (Close to Valparaiso which is about 3 hours from Santiago)
Ushuaia, Argentina. Full of hippies. Small, small village, gateway to Antartica if you can get down there. Billed as the southernmost city in the world.
Funny enough the Chileans claim that Punta Arenas is the southernmost city. The whole bottom of S.A. is pretty much Chile and Argentina and they really don't enjoy each others presence. Actually nobody likes Chile down there.

Miraflores district of Lima. It's got some nice area, but there are some scary ass parts of Lima where you don't want to be the solo gringo. Like tin shack slums.

Of course you have to go to Cusco and make your way to Machu Picchu.

Cartagena, Colombia has a pretty cool old town area.

If you like the Latina bishes, you'll love all these places.

I haven't been to Brazil, Venezuela, Guyana or Suriname.

By the way, the Latin Grammy's are on right now if anyone wants some fap material for the spank bank.

Leafin'
11-16-2012, 01:26 AM
Ive never been solo on any trip. Never even thought of it. I'd definitely not be bringing a female on any of these trips. Sand to the beach anyone?

Getting a buddy to travel with is always good, but was wondering how things go if you do a solo trip.

I've always found those people f*ckin weird. Anytime i'd meet someone and they say they're travelling alone, in the back of my mind i'd think "Why is this person alone? and what the hell are they doing here".

PQ
11-16-2012, 02:02 AM
I think I am going to hit Cuba for the March break. Never been there.

think I'll do that or dominican as well

BURG
11-16-2012, 03:53 AM

Scary ass shit.

I've looked into this as well. $260 NZD which is approximately $210.83 CDN (as of this post). Like one of the pictures shows, it's 134m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FQElXEEbBA

The Shotover Canyon swing is 109m. You can jump off a number of ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzYn_lUzzpk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcTlebyBTyw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_jRuFZvSnQ

BURG
11-16-2012, 03:56 AM
Bonus is that the southern hemisphere's summer is in our winter. Probably looking at at least $2K for a plane ticket though. Plus, if you want to do stuff, it costs money on top of the tour prices. It's going to cost you. I spent $4K in a month and I didn't have to pay for the flight. You can certainly do it cheaper than that, but I figured that it would be a long time before I ever got back, if ever. There is no sense in sweating over money.

$2144 return (Halifax to Auckland)

This trip will easily run me over $5K...

JohnnyHolmes
11-16-2012, 04:22 AM
I did the canyon swing. It was awesome. There are like 6 ways you can jump. Backwards, hanging, there was one where they pinned a gimp doll to you. The guys mess with you the whole time as well. Like pretending they are working their last day, or it's their first day, or their first day back since "the incident"

They also made fun of the Nevis bungy because when you sign up for that, they write your weight on your hand, so the canyon swing guys draw palm trees, etc... on your hand.

I just ran off the platform. I bought the video, which I lost and saw that my legs kept running all the way down. Even though you are tied to a cable, there was no impact at all. At least not noticeable.

I did it at the right time with respect to the dollar value, and having the flights covered was a huge bonus. I know its a huge ticket, but NZ is worth the cost. Just do it man. Money is just paper. None of it matters when you are dead.

BURG
11-16-2012, 06:01 AM
I did the canyon swing. It was awesome. There are like 6 ways you can jump. Backwards, hanging, there was one where they pinned a gimp doll to you. The guys mess with you the whole time as well. Like pretending they are working their last day, or it's their first day, or their first day back since "the incident"

They also made fun of the Nevis bungy because when you sign up for that, they write your weight on your hand, so the canyon swing guys draw palm trees, etc... on your hand.

I just ran off the platform. I bought the video, which I lost and saw that my legs kept running all the way down. Even though you are tied to a cable, there was no impact at all. At least not noticeable.

I did it at the right time with respect to the dollar value, and having the flights covered was a huge bonus. I know its a huge ticket, but NZ is worth the cost. Just do it man. Money is just paper. None of it matters when you are dead.

Oh, I am going. I've read so much about New Zealand in the last few weeks that I feel like I've already been there. I'm just trying to figure out if I can "squeeze" in a couple of days in Sydney, Australia, before I book everything to/in New Zealand. I just never know if I will be back in this part of the world again, so if I can at least spend a couple of days in Sydney, I can say I was in Australia too.

theREALkoreaboy
11-16-2012, 07:58 AM

you mean you get to write it off and stick it to the canadian taxpayer?

corksens
11-16-2012, 09:43 AM
you mean you get to write it off and stick it to the canadian taxpayer?If you could read you'd know that I used credit card points and had received a $750 credit from the parent brokerage for meeting a target. I know the idea of meeting targets and getting rewarded based on merit is lost in your field, but it's still alive and well in the private sector.

In your world, and your world only, do write offs = sticking it to the tax payer.

Just collect your paycheque and shut up.

JohnnyHolmes
11-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Sydney is a really nice city as well. It's like 1000 km away from Auckland though. Might be hard to squeeze in.

Habspatrol
11-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Ive never been solo on any trip. Never even thought of it. I'd definitely not be bringing a female on any of these trips. Sand to the beach anyone?

Getting a buddy to travel with is always good, but was wondering how things go if you do a solo trip.

I've always found those people f*ckin weird. Anytime i'd meet someone and they say they're travelling alone, in the back of my mind i'd think "Why is this person alone? and what the hell are they doing here".
:lol

I know several people that have done it. Like really fun people with lots of friends. I could never do it either though. But there really isn't anything weird about traveling alone. Some people are just more independent than me.

I assume you're still fairly young and not in a relationship if you would not be bringing a female on a trip. Those trips are only a "beach" when you're young and single. I love traveling with my wife.

JohnnyHolmes
11-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Most people can't get away for more than 1 or 2 weeks a year.

I am all over the place all the time. When I get my two months off, just about everyone I know is either away working or at home working. I don't think it's weird to go anywhere on your own. I think it's weird to stay home and do nothing because you think it's weird to travel somewhere alone :)

theREALkoreaboy
11-16-2012, 11:59 AM
If you could read you'd know that I used credit card points and had received a $750 credit from the parent brokerage for meeting a target. I know the idea of meeting targets and getting rewarded based on merit is lost in your field, but it's still alive and well in the private sector.

In your world, and your world only, do write offs = sticking it to the tax payer.

Just collect your paycheque and shut up.

got it. you're entitled to your entitlements and perks, i'm not. hypocrite.

corksens
11-16-2012, 12:01 PM
got it. you're entitled to your entitlements and perks, i'm not. hypocrite.Credit card points???

worm
11-16-2012, 12:02 PM
living off the backs of credit card companies

shame on you

corksens
11-16-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm so dependent.

JohnnyHolmes
11-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Please don't make this thread potato.

worm
11-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Please don't make this thread potato.

True.

Anyone have good ideas for a golf vacation this winter?

No clue where to start looking. Arizona?

theREALkoreaboy
11-16-2012, 12:11 PM
you mean you're using credit card points you run up on your business card for non-personal expenses that you can also write off? nice little racket. in my business, there are very strict rules that completely prohibit writing off ANY expenses i pay for anything, and we are strictly forbidden from using credit cards to pay for anything to specifically prohibit doing what you are doing.

again, i'm not complaining, but when you belly up to the entitlement/perk trough while telling me you want to claw me back, i tell you to go f*ck yourself. hypocrite.

JohnnyHolmes
11-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Hawaii.

theREALkoreaboy
11-16-2012, 12:22 PM
i've never been in a hurry to go to hawaii. very expensive airfare, very expensive accomodations, long flight, to get to a place that aside from the volcano and the jungle, isn't really all that much different from florida.

JohnnyHolmes
11-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Really I saw flights for about $800 last time I looked. Depends where you go. Lots of hippies / surfer bums are there. One of the smaller islands was full of them though I can't remember which one. Kauai perhaps...

Honolulu is going to be retarded expensive.

Depends what you want.

corksens
11-16-2012, 12:36 PM
you mean you're using credit card points you run up on your business card for non-personal expenses that you can also write off? nice little racket. in my business, there are very strict rules that completely prohibit writing off ANY expenses i pay for anything, and we are strictly forbidden from using credit cards to pay for anything to specifically prohibit doing what you are doing.

again, i'm not complaining, but when you belly up to the entitlement/perk trough while telling me you want to claw me back, i tell you to go f*ck yourself. hypocrite.You don't have a business.

Deckie007
11-16-2012, 01:43 PM

Solo vacations are awesome. Lots of freedom. It's nice to set your own schedule. The reason I started going solo is I was tired of waiting for my friends to get their act together. So I said F-it and never looked back. Best thing I ever did. Running around Europe from hostel to hostel is the best way to see it imo.

CaptainBolduke
11-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Solo vacations are way better than just going with one other dude. That's weird.

theREALkoreaboy
11-16-2012, 05:14 PM
my alltime dream vacation is to one day to the northern france battlefield tour by myself.

JohnnyHolmes
11-16-2012, 06:28 PM
I think I'd rather go to Asia and bang hot chicks the whole time, but to each their own I guess.

theREALkoreaboy
11-16-2012, 06:34 PM
i have a wife for that.

and if i got bored with her i could probably bang some northern french hookers on my trip if i was so inclined.

JohnnyHolmes
11-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Is she multiple hot Asian women?

theREALkoreaboy
11-16-2012, 08:12 PM
i could get multiple northern french hookers if i wanted on that trip. and mrs.KB is more than enough to handle while i'm home.

worm
11-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Is she multiple hot Asian women?

nice

theREALkoreaboy
11-16-2012, 09:00 PM
vic's dream trip?

going to thailand to get multiple "hot" asian ladyboys...

worm
11-16-2012, 09:00 PM
dream trip?

tmi

Leafovic
11-16-2012, 09:01 PM
I have zero interest in Asian guys.

Asia for me would be a totally culture/food trip. For that, I'd love to make it there.

The Green Hornet
11-16-2012, 09:01 PM
vic's dream trip?

there you go projecting again... real nasty habit of yours

BURG
11-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Sydney is a really nice city as well. It's like 1000 km away from Auckland though. Might be hard to squeeze in.

It's a 3 hour flight. If I can get a couple extra days off, I might do it.

JohnnyHolmes
11-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Well I wasn't suggesting that you swim it or anything.

I wasn't able to fit it in and I had a month. I guess I COULD have. I went back to Australia this past March. Spent a couple of days in Adelaide, then about a week in Sydney, and 4 days in Melbourne. Had to get back to Sydney for my flight home.

It's a cool place but it's gotten expensive as **** since I was there in 2008.

JohnnyHolmes
11-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Speaking of Thailand, a buddy of mine is a bit of a travel bum. He's from NZ, and hasn't been there in like 7 years or something. Just constantly travels. He went to Phuket and spent 3 weeks at a Muay Thai training place. Kind of like a boot camp. He said it was really good, and that it is full of beginners all the way to pros.

I've always wanted to go to SE Asia. If I can get a couple of months off in the winter I might do it. I have another couple of friends in Bali, and I know quite a few Filipinos as well. Might be fun to drift around for a while.

I've heard horror stories about the flight to Indonesia though. Like 2 days of airports and flights. Not looking so forward to that part of it, or the airfare, but hey...YOLO.

Also thinking of Puerto Backyardia if the weather is nice.

Habspatrol
11-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Also thinking of a staycation in Puerto Backyardia if the weather is nice.

FYP

JohnnyHolmes
11-17-2012, 12:43 PM
I can't believe I didn't think of that.

JackBurton
11-17-2012, 12:51 PM
I went to a sex resort in Mexico last year. Good if you want to get laid or crabs.

voyager
11-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Speaking of Thailand, a buddy of mine is a bit of a travel bum. He's from NZ, and hasn't been there in like 7 years or something. Just constantly travels. He went to Phuket and spent 3 weeks at a Muay Thai training place. Kind of like a boot camp. He said it was really good, and that it is full of beginners all the way to pros.

I've always wanted to go to SE Asia. If I can get a couple of months off in the winter I might do it. I have another couple of friends in Bali, and I know quite a few Filipinos as well. Might be fun to drift around for a while.

I've heard horror stories about the flight to Indonesia though. Like 2 days of airports and flights. Not looking so forward to that part of it, or the airfare, but hey...YOLO.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdi1x83KMB1r9723h.jpg

theREALkoreaboy
11-17-2012, 12:57 PM
I went to a sex resort in Mexico last year. Good if you want to get laid or crabs.

how does a "sex resort" work, pray tell?

BURG
11-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Well I wasn't suggesting that you swim it or anything.

I wasn't able to fit it in and I had a month. I guess I COULD have. I went back to Australia this past March. Spent a couple of days in Adelaide, then about a week in Sydney, and 4 days in Melbourne. Had to get back to Sydney for my flight home.

It's a cool place but it's gotten expensive as **** since I was there in 2008.

Well, if you use Google Maps for directions from Japan to China, you get this... (#43)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4rSBQ6e20Uo/TNtoyYVLCOI/AAAAAAAAO_0/KLYtDPvLulw/s1600/jet_ski_across_the_pacific_ocean.png

:smilewinkgrin:

JohnnyHolmes
11-17-2012, 01:12 PM
I hope he is kidding because Mexican hookers are damn ugly. I have seen only a handful of attractive Mexican women, period.

Their whole look just doesn't work for me.

During my travels I ended up having a beer at a whorehouse in Acapulco, then a parade of women in bikinis and high heels started and well...I didn't plan on partaking in anything anyway. I just find the whole concept very awkward and uncomfortable. Maybe I'll get over that as I get older and my options decrease. I won't rule anything out, but seeing what those girls looked like made it very easy to stay pure nomasayin.

theREALkoreaboy
11-17-2012, 01:17 PM
ME is gonna punch you in the mouth for saying that, johnny. you know his penchant for the latinas...

Leafovic
11-17-2012, 01:51 PM
During my travels I ended up having a beer at a whorehouse in Acapulco

Why not just save the money and go to Vanier?

theREALkoreaboy
11-17-2012, 01:59 PM
or rigaud

MindzEye
11-17-2012, 02:26 PM

I'm looking into some internationl contract work next year, 30 days in/30 out....I plan on making the best of the freedom as well, and Africa would be my starting point, so a lot of exotic locations are a reasonably short haul. We should smash beers in some sort of ridiculous location next year. I need someone well travelled to get ideas off of.

MindzEye
11-17-2012, 02:28 PM
ME is gonna punch you in the mouth for saying that, johnny. you know his penchant for the latinas...

He's somewhat right. Depending on where you are, there's a lot of mestizo bred into the population and those women aren't really my thing. The european looking ones though (I have an ex that fits the bill)....jeebus....they just ruin me.

CH1
11-17-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm looking into some internationl contract work next year, 30 days in/30 out....I plan on making the best of the freedom as well, and Africa would be my starting point, so a lot of exotic locations are a reasonably short haul. We should smash beers in some sort of ridiculous location next year. I need someone well travelled to get ideas off of.

Safari in Kenya is incredible. If you go to Kenya, don't miss Lamu, a small island that time forgot -- only two vehicles in town: a town ambulance and an official government car.

Aberdeen
11-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Madagascar is really wonderful.

theREALkoreaboy
11-17-2012, 02:47 PM
thats what the koreans almost bought it.

theREALkoreaboy
11-17-2012, 02:47 PM
and i agree with johnny about mexican women, generally. they tend to be prone to chubbiness in the wrong places, and bushy brows.

MindzEye
11-17-2012, 02:55 PM
and i agree with johnny about mexican women, generally. they tend to be prone to chubbiness in the wrong places, and bushy brows.

mestizo blood...it's not an attractive genepool, the mestizos.

The lighter skinned, more delicate looking european blood though...smoke show.

JohnnyHolmes
11-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Yeah sure I think I hav march and April off.

Now I didn't go to Acapulco to have a beer in a whorehouse of uglies. I was working and spent the day at a nice resort. On the way back to the ship, I split a cab with the art auctioneer and the golf pro. Art guy wanted to go, golf pro was indifferent, so we went to the "best" whorehouse according to the cab driver.

It had an outdoor bar & patio, and a bunch of rooms at the back. I saw a few heads poke out, then the parade started. It was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

It was so bad that the art guy who was the only one that really wanted to go didn't even pick one. Finished our beers and left.

I like the lighter skin Latinas, but my last one actually looked Asian, and was kind of in the middle of the darkness scale. Good girl too. Unfortunate how that ended but that's life.

JohnnyHolmes
11-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Madagascar is really wonderful.

Been there too. It's good if you're an Eco tourist / nature / evolution nut, but it's an ugly place. One of the least developed and poverty stricken places I've ever seen.

I just like places I can just hang out and chill. I don't really do museums or any of that. I mean I have been to some of the famous places like in Rome, Athens, Egypt. I've hit most of the real famous tourist spots, but the last thing I want to do is join the cattle herd. I've been very lucky to have seen so many places, but when you're in Rome every 10 days for 4 months it's easy to space things out.

When I actually go on vacation somewhere, I just pretty much hang out and do nothing. Like this past summer, I spent a month in Peru. I did the tourist thing for about 5 days of it, and actually skipped a lot of the main attractions in part because I expected to go back at some point, and the tourist trail is such a grind.

JackBurton
11-17-2012, 04:38 PM
how does a "sex resort" work, pray tell?

Well, there are some whores who visit at night, but it's also regylar joe's looking to get laid. All the "games" at the pool in the afternoons involve getting blowjobs. Most resorts it's waterpolo or scuba lessons.

Leafovic
11-17-2012, 04:46 PM
That is pretty disgusting.

JohnnyHolmes
11-17-2012, 05:02 PM
You misspelled "awesome".

Where is this? I've heard of Margarita Island but it looks really REALLY expensive.

I know there is a compound in Curacao called Campo Allegre but I think it's more of a day hangout. Educate us.

Leafovic
11-17-2012, 06:36 PM
I'm fairly liberal but there is something creepy about people selling their body for sex and those that take them up on that offer.

JohnnyHolmes
11-17-2012, 07:05 PM
So you're against marriage.

Leafovic
11-17-2012, 07:50 PM
That is not a bad point. lol

ok, I'm ok with it now. :D ;)

JackBurton
11-17-2012, 08:38 PM
You misspelled "awesome".

Where is this? I've heard of Margarita Island but it looks really REALLY expensive.

I know there is a compound in Curacao called Campo Allegre but I think it's more of a day hangout. Educate us.

I went to the Hedonism resort in Jamaca years ago. In Cancun, I went to Temptation resort. You can smell the sleaze as soon as you walk through the door. Its fun, but not for everyone.

It`s odd, there are people walking around in dominatrix outfits at breakfast. There were more hot chicks than I expected though.

JohnnyHolmes
11-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Yeah...I would expect zero so even one would be surprising.

Hedonisms aren't pay for play as far as I know though. Perhaps I am mistaken. Never heard of the one in Cancun. What's the ratio like? Is it mostly couples? I'd hate to walk into a sausage party for a week. It's bad enough that I work at one.

Bleedsblue&white
11-17-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm fairly liberal but there is something creepy about people selling their body for sex and those that take them up on that offer.
As long as the people are willing, it's all good.

JackBurton
11-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Yeah...I would expect zero so even one would be surprising.

Hedonisms aren't pay for play as far as I know though. Perhaps I am mistaken. Never heard of the one in Cancun. What's the ratio like? Is it mostly couples? I'd hate to walk into a sausage party for a week. It's bad enough that I work at one.

I was very pleased there was as many women as men. And like I said, I went in expecting a lot of pigs, but there were plenty of hot girls. There were some amazing hot ones getting all sexed-up and topless by the pool.

And I went off-season. It must be crazy in March.

Aberdeen
11-18-2012, 03:37 AM
Been there too. It's good if you're an Eco tourist / nature / evolution nut, but it's an ugly place. One of the least developed and poverty stricken places I've ever seen.

I just like places I can just hang out and chill. I don't really do museums or any of that. I mean I have been to some of the famous places like in Rome, Athens, Egypt. I've hit most of the real famous tourist spots, but the last thing I want to do is join the cattle herd. I've been very lucky to have seen so many places, but when you're in Rome every 10 days for 4 months it's easy to space things out.

When I actually go on vacation somewhere, I just pretty much hang out and do nothing. Like this past summer, I spent a month in Peru. I did the tourist thing for about 5 days of it, and actually skipped a lot of the main attractions in part because I expected to go back at some point, and the tourist trail is such a grind.

Agree with all of this. I doubt I've traveled as much as you but I hate the heard. I often end up staying in smaller, out of the way, places just to find a place I can really find my bearings and relax. It can't always be avoided when there is something you MUST see, but as much as possible. I'm a big fan of taking local transit. If you're patient and open minded you can end up in some great places.

Agree with Madagascar too. I thought India had prepared me pretty well for poverty but some of it was tough to come to terms with in Madagascar, especially how rich they should be off of their natural resources. But we did end up taking a dug out canoe trip down a river, sleeping on the river banks, that was an experience I will never forget. And the people were all very good to us there.

I want to go back to India, I was only there for a month, but it made a big big impression on me, there is an endless amount to see. Sometimes I look at how cheap it can be and I'm really tempted just to say 'F-it' and just go for like 6 months.

JohnnyHolmes
11-18-2012, 12:05 PM
I know the feeling.

If you are going that far away you have to go for at least a month. There are lots of travel bums that just bounce around until they run out of money. Just watch Locked Up Abroad sometime.

Even the backpacker trail is hectic. I'd much rather go live on a beach in Thailand for 3 months than get herded through the meat grinder.

There is definitely a sacrifice to living that way. Your home life is practically non existent. Relationships are practically impossible to maintain. We all end up dead in the end either way so you might as well enjoy the time you do have.

I wouldn't want my only travel experience to be a cruise when I am 80.

Aberdeen
11-18-2012, 12:12 PM
It's funny you mention the backpacker trail. Backpacker ghettos hold no appeal - I don't want to just wander about talking to other gweilo, much prefer either locals, or my own company. Khaosan Road is about the worst part of Thailand for me.

zeke
11-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Thailand is an epic dissappointment. the rest of SE asia makes up for it though.

JackBurton
11-18-2012, 12:30 PM
I lived a year in Australia and it was fantastic. Did everything you could. But I mooched off my rich uncle so I always had a place to stay.

Leafovic
11-18-2012, 12:34 PM
I've wanted to do India for awhile. I have friends there too. They lived here but their dad is a diplomat so they moved back years ago. From everything I've seen, it is a fascinating country. And as mentioned, when you go so far away, I wouldn't want to spend less then a month there.

Leafovic
11-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Thailand is an epic dissappointment. the rest of SE asia makes up for it though.

What didn't you like?

JohnnyHolmes
11-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Watch out for that Dehli Belly!

I am curious about Thailand as well. I know a few people that went and loved it. I worked with a guy from Toronto that went to Phuket for several months. I know a couple of others that have wifed up Thai chicks and Filipinas as well. It happens a lot when you work on ships.

I take it Khaosan road is full of drunk Australians and old fat white guys trolling for pussy?

Bleedsblue&white
11-18-2012, 02:28 PM
I did my travelling in the States, spent a few months in Florida, first visiting relatives, then just hanging on the beach for a month or so. I was getting kicked out of the house from 15 on so I was already used to being on my own. It was fun, glad I did it.

zeke
11-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Don't get me wrong, thailand is a blast.....but it is supercrass and touristy....and damn hard to get away from the tourist track. I mean, even Khaosan road is a blast if you're into it.

but if you're going over to SE Asia looking for pristine beauty and culture and not just drunken whiteness (not that drunken whiteness isn't fun), literally every other country there - Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia - beats it, IMO. Trekking up north in Laos and north vietnam beats norther thailand, just because it's less tourist-dominated, and the isolated beaches down the coast of malaysia beat the party beaches in thailand, too.

I remember spending my first 3 weeks up and down Thailand being vaguely dissappointed....and then literally the second I crossed over the border into Laos, it was exactly what I'd been hoping for.

But I guess it's all about what you want to do....thailand just feels little different than going to cancun, though.

Leafovic
11-18-2012, 03:32 PM
do most of you travel alone, with friends, gf, family, large group? or depends where you go?

I went to NYC last year alone..initially a friend was suppose to go but couldn't in the end. Other, more closer friends, were rather working or one simply didn't have the funds. Seeing as my best friends situation was unlikley to change..I figured, I shouldn't miss the opportunity anyways. And I'm glad I didn't. I met new people and it was a blast.