PDA

View Full Version : OT: Food & Drink Thread - Where to Go, What to Eat, etc.

Pages : [1] 2

BURG
01-04-2011, 06:29 AM
Recently, posters have been talking about food; steak in particular. Posters have mentioned where to go to eat, what cut of steak is best, how they prefer it cooked and why, etc. There have been other threads containing posts that dealt with different foods and places to eat. So with that said, I started this "Food Thread". I moved posts and copied posts from other threads into this one.

A few of the first posts will be copied from other threads and unedited so the continuity may be off. I will post exactly what I posted above at the end of the posts that were moved or copied here.

Anyway, if you want to talk about foods or places to eat, this is the thread for it.

Bon Appetit.

Krustchev
01-05-2011, 02:46 PM
As most of you already know, we are coming to Montreal for the Habs/Pens game on Jan 12th which is next Wednesday. We'll be getting into town on Tuesday (Jan 11th) evening. I'm not sure if we'll be up for doing a whole lot that night but you never know. Then we'll be leaving on the morning of the 13th to head back to Manitoba.

So the question is. If you had one evening and one day in Montreal what would you suggest doing/seeing.

We are obviously going to see the Habs on the second evening so that's the biggest thing.

Just looking for something to do on Wednesday during the day and possibly Tuesday after we arrive and check in at the hotel.

Go to St. Viateur Bagel and eat a bagel hot out of the oven, with nothing on it. They are open 24/7 so go whenever.

Krustchev
01-05-2011, 02:53 PM
That good? Might have to try that.

Actually better. It's impossible to compare a hot bagel of theirs. DO NOT go to Fairmount Bagel instead if a local suggests it.

Guibs
01-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Obviously, you have to go get some smokemeat sandwishes over at Schwartz. I mean, even celebrity go get one over there...

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/

Krustchev
01-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Obviously, you have to go get some smokemeat sandwishes over at Schwartz. I mean, even celebrity go get one over there...

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/

He should go but it is frequently crap, you must admit.

Krustchev
01-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Montreal is the great cheap food capital of NA.

puck_in_net
01-05-2011, 03:46 PM
There is a club called 281 that you could go to if you're bored at night. I've never been there myself but you might like it.

LMAO!!!!!!!

I know you said you were changing your eating habits but you must try to get reservations at Au Pied Cochon!!!! Its is a temple to over the top fatty foods.... Poutine with foie gras is a must have

Rolex
01-05-2011, 04:05 PM
La Banquise for poutine.....over 20 different types of poutine....try it....peak hour is 3-4 am ;)

GrandWazoo
01-05-2011, 05:09 PM
As for my suggestions, Montreal is a city of simple pleasure. In the evening, food and drinks is always a good option. Plenty of good restaurants to choose from and then try few different places for drinks. Walk as much as possible, that's the best way to appreciate the city. During the day, since you have only one, I would wander in the Old Montreal and try to make it to the Belvedere on the Mount Royal for great view of the city and the surrounding.

Sampling poutine, smoked meat, bagels and shish taouk should always be high on the list as well.

Hoiles
01-05-2011, 06:58 PM
I'd recommend 281 if you want to get Crosby's autograph after the game :)

My yinzer friends wanted to get poutine and bagels above everything else (they're vegan so they screwed themselves out of a smoked meat sandwich). If you want some post game brews (celebratory for yourself hopefully) I'd recommend Crescent below Ste Catherine which isn't too far from your hotel, Brutopia and Hurley's are my favourites around there.

xposbrad
01-06-2011, 12:39 AM
Holt here has a women department and cosmetics....but most women go to Ogilvy for their hardcore shopping needs....most women I see at Holts are there with their husbands....most women I see at Ogilvy are there alone...

Either way, HP, don't go to these stores.....save your money for the restaurants

Tiffany's is in Holts ..his budget vacation might get out of control

Habs, where did you decide to go for dinner? Let me know what kind of food you are into (steak/ital/french etc..) and I'll tell you a good choice..

Schwartzs , the smoked meat is very good, a bit more dry than some peopple are used to, but very flavorful ..But are you renting a car or just taxing around?

mtl79
01-06-2011, 11:10 AM
If you like Indian food, try out Bombay Mahal on 1001 Jean Talon West.... great place! not the nicest looking, but the food is excellent!

Isaac25
01-06-2011, 11:19 AM
you can't visit Montreal without getting some Lebanese grub...hit a little joint just around the corner from Concordia for a $2 falafel sandwich...

TropFacile
01-06-2011, 11:51 AM
For good Gyro/Souvlaki go to Marathon on Curee-Labelle in Laval.

Kizeb
01-06-2011, 11:58 AM
LMAO!!!!!!!

I know you said you were changing your eating habits but you must try to get reservations at Au Pied Cochon!!!! Its is a temple to over the top fatty foods.... Poutine with foie gras is a must have

Martin Picard is the chef, he's always on the food network, he has crazy talent and Foie gras is his speaciality and anyone living or going to Montreal should go there atleast once

Roof Daddy
01-06-2011, 01:07 PM
A place called Panama is not bad if you're looking for a Greek restaurant. It's on Jean Talon.

xposbrad
01-06-2011, 02:12 PM
There is a marthon right off Decarie, which is about 5-10 minutes from Westmount. Closer than Laval ..but definitely not a must eat here. Definitely stay away from the undercooked schwarma type food in Mtl, unless you want the runs.
There are many good restos in little italy for you to try, but if you're near westmount and want some good sushi there's Kaizen
In old montreal, Galiano's, Da Emma are decent ..
If you plan on going out at night, like on crescent, you can't go wrong with Weinstein's and Gavinos, it's decent and in a great location if you want to grab a drink on crescent.

xposbrad
01-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Like I said... we will do the hot bagel (probably on Tuesday evening after we get into town. We'll do Schwartz's for lunch on Wednesday afternoon. That leaves dinner before the game on Wednesday open. I think that's when we'll go for Greek or Italian.

I'd also like to squeeze in a felafel.

So if you're doing something before the game, I'd stick to the downtown area for dinner. There's a Keg near the bell center, it's not bad, it's in a good location. There's Da Vinci (expensive, a lot of seafood in their dishes), Weinstein's (good for younger people, more americanized italian dishes). La Medusa (overall good, a bit smaller ). Cavalli (if you like the italian businessman vibe, $$$$)..

Habshockeygods
01-06-2011, 03:17 PM
For supper you should consider Gibby's Steakhouse. Been around forever and is one of the best ribsteaks you will ever get.

http://www.gibbys.com/index.php

Krustchev
01-06-2011, 03:22 PM
For supper you should consider Gibby's Steakhouse. Been around forever and is one of the best ribsteaks you will ever get.

http://www.gibbys.com/index.php

Moishe's is better.

Habshockeygods
01-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Moishe's is better.

Moishe's is a lot more crowded and noisier. I think Gibby's has better ambiance.

Hoiles
01-06-2011, 04:32 PM
The place you're thinking of for shishtaouk/falafel is Boustan, I think, on Crescent. Basha on Ste-Catherine (near the Bell Centre) is also pretty good and popular. Most of Crescent is a bit Jersey-Shore-esque for my taste, but below Ste-Catherine as I mentioned there are some good brew/Irish pubs. Another option that there is a shortage of in Pittsburgh (or Winnipeg, I assume) is good authentic Asian food, you can't go wrong if you go to Chinatown. For steaks/ribs Baton Rouge is good, but you find similar quality in any city.

GrandWazoo
01-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Moishe's is a lot more crowded and noisier. I think Gibby's has better ambiance.

Gibby's is definitely a nice place, nice setting in the Old Montreal. The inside court is really nice in the summer. Moishe's might have better steaks, but Gibby's are definitely top notch as well and I like their setting better.

Habspatrol
01-12-2011, 10:30 AM
We ordered pizza from "Double Pizza" last night. (too tired to go out) The front desk guy told us it was voted best pizza in Montreal... it was alright... not great by any means though.

Krustchev
01-12-2011, 10:32 AM
We ordered pizza from "Double Pizza" last night. (too tired to go out) The front desk guy told us it was voted best pizza in Montreal... it was alright... not great by any means though.

Montreal is not a great pizza city. Most of the places are owned by Greeks, and since I am a racist, as per Xpo, need I say anymore?

mtl79
01-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Voted best by who? himself lol? The best greasy pizza in Montreal is probably Manzo's pizza, but they probably wont deliver where you're staying.... if you want more traditional style Italian pizza head over to Pizzeria Napoletana on Dante in Little Italy, it's my favourite pizza place anyway...

Habspatrol
01-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Voted best by who? himself lol? The best greasy pizza in Montreal is probably Manzo's pizza, but they probably wont deliver where you're staying.... if you want more traditional style Italian pizza head over to Pizzeria Napoletana on Dante in Little Italy, it's my favourite pizza place anyway...

Yeah I'd be surprised if that pizza was voted best pizza. It was very ordinary. Pretty much like Dominoes... which was good enough. It could have been a lot worse.

Thanks for the advice. I doubt we'll do pizza again though.

Habspatrol
01-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Good. And if it sucks, don't blame me.

Yeah right... the blame will be all yours.

Is there any particular flavour I should look for? Or are they all great?

Krustchev
01-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Yeah right... the blame will be all yours.

Is there any particular flavour I should look for? Or are they all great?

I believe they still only come in Sesame or Poppy. I like Sesame bu you know . . . whatever floats your boat. Just don't ask for Cinnamon-Raisin. They will either laugh at you or call you an American.

Isaac25
01-12-2011, 01:23 PM
traditional (sesame) ...don't think they sell others.

Isaac25
01-12-2011, 01:24 PM
hit fairmount bagel for doughy, flavoured ones...

Rolex
01-12-2011, 02:05 PM
And **** the bagels....

WTF....you come all the way to MTL to go eat bagels...I've tried both bagel places...yeah it's good but not worth all the fuss these guys are making it out to be....

There's so many more important places to go try than St-Viateur bagel.....go to Old Port....try restaurants there....it's worth it...and you are close to Bell Center when you are in old port...a 5-10$ cab ride, not even...

Krustchev
01-12-2011, 02:06 PM
And **** the bagels....

WTF....you come all the way to MTL to go eat bagels...I've tried both bagel places...yeah it's good but not worth all the fuss these guys are making it out to be....

There's so many more important places to go try than St-Viateur bagel.....go to Old Port....try restaurants there....it's worth it...and you are close to Bell Center when you are in old port...a 5-10$ cab ride, not even...

I didn't tell him just to eat bagels but yeah, Montreal bagels are unique.

Rolex
01-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Go try a poutine...you will never find as good as in MTL....try La Banquise...

go eat at Mechant Boeuf in Old Port....try le Garde-Manger....l'Orignal....fook me if I hear one more time bagels lol

Krustchev
01-13-2011, 12:10 PM
hp, did you like the bagel?

Habspatrol
01-15-2011, 02:32 PM
I did get the bagel... it was excellent. Probably the best bagel I ever had. That said... a bagel can only be so good. I'd recommend it to anyone that's in the neighborhood. It worked out well because it was on the west side of the city and we were heading west to go home.

I am glad we went to both places. I'd definitely recommend Schwartz's to anyone visiting Montreal. That smoked meat is amazing.

Krustchev
01-15-2011, 06:44 PM
I did get the bagel... it was excellent. Probably the best bagel I ever had. That said... a bagel can only be so good. I'd recommend it to anyone that's in the neighborhood. It worked out well because it was on the west side of the city and we were heading west to go home.

I am glad we went to both places. I'd definitely recommend Schwartz's to anyone visiting Montreal. That smoked meat is amazing.

Then you can't complaint. Glad you liked it. As for Schwartz's, if you go again, it might not be that great. The meat is inconsistent. Although that is part of its "charm."

Habspatrol
01-16-2011, 01:14 PM
For sure, thanks for the recommendation.

I wish we would have gotten around to getting poutine... but you can only eat so many times in a day.

Hoiles
01-16-2011, 02:58 PM
IMO, there are many places that make a smoked meat sandwich as good as Schwartz's but don't have the "charm" (aka long lines outside, rubbing shoulders with strangers, curt service)... I always go there with out-of-towners (or when I was considered an out-of-towner), but I usually go to other places otherwise.

Rolex
01-16-2011, 03:16 PM
For sure, thanks for the recommendation.

I wish we would have gotten around to getting poutine... but you can only eat so many times in a day.

Was at La Banquise just yesterday....ordered the T-Rex poutine....... FOOK YEAH !!!! Beats any smoke-meat or gay-bagel cravings !!!!

Rolex
03-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Pretty much.

Although there are many now who are almost become parodies of themselves and actually wanting us to throw games.

Count....completely off topic, but any good suggestions on places to eat in Downtown Vancouver ? Apart from Joe Fortes where I usually go...thanks

Lotusland
03-09-2012, 09:13 PM
We have a Dunn's now.

Personally I like The Keg for a decent steak. I don't do much upscale fine dining so maybe the Count will know more about those sort of restaurants.

Habspatrol
03-09-2012, 09:42 PM
The Keg makes an awesome steak. I don't care what any pretentious prick says.

GrandWazoo
03-09-2012, 11:12 PM

My only experience at the Keg says otherwise. And I don't care if you call me pretentious, I know a good steak when I eat one.

Habspatrol
03-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Maybe you had a bad steak there, but I've been there like 5 times and always loved the steak.

worm
03-10-2012, 12:46 AM
ya....not a huge fan of the keg

been there 4-5 times

not terrible but not worth the price

CH1
03-10-2012, 01:01 AM
The Keg is for steak amateurs who think they have a shot at banging the hot waitress.

Lotusland
03-10-2012, 01:19 AM
The 10oz filet mignon I had a few weeks a go at the Keg was a shade over $30.00 I think. It was delicious but I didn't pay for the meal and I wouldn't ever really consider paying that much myself for a steak so those that want to pay way more than that at the established steak houses, more power to you. I miss the Ponderosa personally.

Red
03-10-2012, 10:18 AM

Yes, I agree, they do make an awesome steak. But making an awesome steak is not rocket science, and the keg sells their spices in grocery stores. If you can get a good cut of meat from a butcher, you can make an equally awesome steak at home.

This is the reason I never get steak at The Keg. I get the prime rib. It is spectacular there. I can cook an equally awesome steak, but I cannot cook an equally awesome prime rib at home. I'm sure I could if I tried to a few times and figured out the recipe, but that also means buying a rather large roast, most of which I will not have an opportunity to consume before it becomes less ideal for eating. This would become very expensive and potentially wasteful.

Prime rib is the way to go at the keg.

lecoqsportif
03-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Yes, I agree, they do make an awesome steak. But making an awesome steak is not rocket science, and the keg sells their spices in grocery stores. If you can get a good cut of meat from a butcher, you can make an equally awesome steak at home.

This is the reason I never get steak at The Keg. I get the prime rib. It is spectacular there. I can cook an equally awesome steak, but I cannot cook an equally awesome prime rib at home. I'm sure I could if I tried to a few times and figured out the recipe, but that also means buying a rather large roast, most of which I will not have an opportunity to consume before it becomes less ideal for eating. This would become very expensive and potentially wasteful.

This. Good post. People are fussy about steaks and they can be prepared in so many ways, so at the end of the day the best steak is often one made at home. That said, there are excellent steaks restaurants.

CH1
03-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Prime Rib is good. Had one the other day at home.

You just have to ask your butcher cut you a nice steak (1.5 inches). Then sear it the way you would your other steaks and then finish the cooking in the oven. Can't go wrong.

Habspatrol
03-10-2012, 12:33 PM

No doubt, a good cut of meat is key. Then of course you have to to cook it decently.

CaptainBolduke
03-10-2012, 01:39 PM

You just have to ask your butcher cut you a nice steak (1.5 inches). Then sear it the way you would your other steaks and then finish the cooking in the oven. Can't go wrong.

Toronto has at least two excellent Keg's. I enjoy going there with the wife. IMO both the steak and prime rib are excellent. The one issue I have with PR is the amount of fat that is usually on it, but besides that it's great.

One downfall for the Keg is the fact that considering it is chain resturant the prices don't fly and shouldn't be as high as they are.

worm
03-10-2012, 02:36 PM
im going to try that ruth chris chain one of these days

Lotusland
03-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Toronto has at least two excellent Keg's. I enjoy going there with the wife. IMO both the steak and prime rib are excellent. The one issue I have with PR is the amount of fat that is usually on it, but besides that it's great.

One downfall for the Keg is the fact that considering it is chain resturant the prices don't fly and shouldn't be as high as they are.
I've never been a fan of prime rib personally because of the fat issue and most like this piece of meat cooked in the medium rare range to extract all the juices.

The US loves prime rib steaks above all else I think.

worm
03-10-2012, 06:21 PM
When you say cook at home are you talking on the BBQ or with the stove? I would love any tips on how to cook a good piece of filet mignon or even top sirloin using the stove... and I do like my steaks well done so that I find is a challenge.

I only cook steak on a BBQ.....so i would like to hear some tips as well

as for well done....just eat a hamburger :p

CH1
03-10-2012, 06:25 PM
When you say cook at home are you talking on the BBQ or with the stove? I would love any tips on how to cook a good piece of filet mignon or even top sirloin using the stove... and I do like my steaks well done so that I find is a challenge.

Get one of these old school cast iron pans. Often on sale at Canadiens Tire. Follow the seasoning instructions. You'll never use another steak pan in your life.

Roof Daddy
03-10-2012, 06:30 PM
sear steak two minutes on each side in a cast iron frying pan and then finish it in the oven

worm
03-10-2012, 06:31 PM
i kinda want steak for supper now

Sal_Butera
03-10-2012, 06:47 PM
im going to try that ruth chris chain one of these days

Save u'r money & buy a god slab of organic beef - Ruth Chris' is overrated IMO.

worm
03-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Save u'r money & buy a god slab of organic beef - Ruth Chris' is overrated IMO.

that is what i usually do

Red
03-12-2012, 08:57 PM

I had a nice top sirloin last night. I know top sirloin isn't usually the best cut, but it was quite good, and was only $6/lbs. I just put a little meat tenderizer on it and some keg spices, let it sit out at room temperature for about an hour, then cooked it to a nice medium rare on the BBQ. That with some potatoes, brocoli and carrots in a tin foil pouch with some butter and spices, and some spinach salad. Was a very nice meal. It had been a while since I had a nice steak.

CH1
03-12-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm a sirloin fan. I like the "steaky" flavor.

Some of the more expensive cuts like filet mignon are overrated (more tender but less taste)

I have a butcher that provides me with a a rare cut called the "clodhammer". Very tasty and tender if you cook it medium rare. $9/lb for an organic piece.

Red
03-12-2012, 10:41 PM

Some of the more expensive cuts like filet mignon are overrated (more tender but less taste)

I have a butcher that provides me with a a rare cut called the "clodhammer". Very tasty and tender if you cook it medium rare. $9/lb for an organic piece.

$9/lbs seems reasonable. I would pay that for a premium steak any day.

CH1
03-12-2012, 10:44 PM
$9/lbs seems reasonable. I would pay that for a premium steak any day.

The reason it's cheap is because it's a long, tender filet that can be rescued form the shoulder area (which is mostly tough and must be ground into burgers at $4/lb)

lecoqsportif
03-12-2012, 10:53 PM

Yep. That's why they are wrapped in bacon, the saviour of bland food. Not worth the cost...

Red
03-12-2012, 10:53 PM
The reason it's cheap is because it's a long, tender filet that can be rescued form the shoulder area (which is mostly tough and must be ground into burgers at $4/lb)

I have no problem with that, as long as it's tender. Thick steaks are no good if they're tough.

I should really study up on each cut and what it means for flavour and tenderness. Knowing is half the battle, after all!

CH1
03-12-2012, 10:57 PM
it's super tender..they call it "petite tender" in France

BURG
03-14-2012, 01:58 AM
Recently, posters have been talking about food; steak in particular. Posters have mentioned where to go to eat, what cut of steak is best, how they prefer it cooked and why, etc. There have been other threads containing posts that dealt with different foods and places to eat. So with that said, I started this "Food Thread". I moved posts and copied posts from other threads into this one.

Guibs
03-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Yep. That's why they are wrapped in bacon, the saviour of bland food. Not worth the cost...

Where the hell are you getting Filet migon? It's blasphemy to wrap that beaty with bacon (even if Bacon is indeed awesome). I don't know where you guys get your steak, but you can't beat a quality filet mignon.

Habshockeygods
03-14-2012, 10:13 AM
The most flavorful cut is the ribsteak with the bone in (cowboy cut in the US). An inch thick is pretty good. It also has enough marbling to ensure it will be juicy and flavorful. For best results when cooking is to brush some garlic and oil on both sides before cooking. This will allow the outside to sear the juices in while it cooks. I also like the "Montreal steak spice" by McCormack.

lecoqsportif
03-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Where the hell are you getting Filet migon? It's blasphemy to wrap that beaty with bacon (even if Bacon is indeed awesome). I don't know where you guys get your steak, but you can't beat a quality filet mignon.

Huh? What are you talking about?! Bacon-wrapped filet mignon is as old as the hills, a well-known classic. And as noted as CH1, filet mignon is tender but mediocre in terms of flavor. Hence the bacon.

Habshockeygods
03-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Huh? What are you talking about?! Bacon-wrapped filet mignon is as old as the hills, a well-known classic. And as noted as CH1, filet mignon is tender but mediocre in terms of flavor. Hence the bacon.

Bacon makes everything better. :smile(21):

Krustchev
03-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Best filet/beef tenderloin I've ever had is at the Lonesome Dove in Ft. Worth, TX.

Rolex
03-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Pappas Bros in Dallas and Gibson's in Chicago are hard to beat....

Gibson's is out of this world good.....

CH1
03-14-2012, 08:04 PM
I loved Primehouse in Chicago. I had the KC cut (basically NY strip with the bone in)

GGpX
03-16-2012, 07:21 PM
For those in the Montreal area, what's the best sub place you know?

The best place I know is Manzo in Ville Lasalle. It's a little out of the way to get there, but damn they have great subs.

CH1
12-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Good call, we're heading to the US in a couple days. I'll be sure to go buy something and tell them that the only reason I'm there is to support their decision.

While in the US don't forget not to go into a Chick-fil-A

Habspatrol
12-18-2012, 04:26 PM
While in the US don't forget not to go into a Chick-fil-A

Yeah that's definitely on the no go list. The wife likes the food but we've boycotted them.

BKerr
12-18-2012, 04:40 PM
I used to like the funny commercials with the cows during college football. But no I wont' eat there either.

I wish there was an In and Out burger where I'm going, but sadly no.

I'll have to hit up Friendly's though, and go for the happy ending.

Habspatrol
12-18-2012, 04:49 PM
I used to like the funny commercials with the cows during college football. But no I wont' eat there either.

If you haven't been to a "Five Guys Burgers and Fries" do yourself a favor and go.

BKerr
12-18-2012, 04:56 PM
If you haven't been to a "Five Guys Burgers and Fries" do yourself a favor and go.

We have many in the GTA... and yes they are great.

Anyone else out there looking for good chicken... go to Nando's

CH1
12-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Worth a trip to Toronto. The Burger's Priest.

http://i.thestar.com/images/b6/6b/b87419fe4e979bf47b71c07d281b.jpg

GrandWazoo
12-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Yeah that's definitely on the no go list. The wife likes the food but we've boycotted them.

About the gay marriage stance?

hockeylover
12-18-2012, 05:42 PM
I actually didn't like Five Guys at all. It was a bit disappointing to me.

CH1
12-18-2012, 05:47 PM

I agree. It's good, not great, unless you use McDonald's as a yardstick.

TheCountofMonteCristo
12-18-2012, 05:54 PM

Chick Fil A is good though

TheCountofMonteCristo
12-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Worth a trip to Toronto. The Burger's Priest.

http://i.thestar.com/images/b6/6b/b87419fe4e979bf47b71c07d281b.jpg

my arteries clogged just looking at it

worm
12-18-2012, 06:17 PM
too much green on that burger

CH1
12-18-2012, 06:28 PM
too much green on that burger

the only way a punk like you will eat his veggies

Habspatrol
12-18-2012, 06:40 PM
About the gay marriage stance?

Yep... I have no problem with anyone having their own opinion on the topic, but businesses/corporations shouldn't be propagating hate.

Habspatrol
12-18-2012, 06:41 PM

As far as food chains go it's pretty damn good IMO.

hockeylover
12-18-2012, 06:43 PM
As far as food chains go it's pretty damn good IMO.

It's not a burger place but my new favourite chain is Mucho Burrito.

BKerr
12-18-2012, 07:44 PM
It's not a burger place but my new favourite chain is Mucho Burrito.

Burrito Boyz is better IMO

GrandWazoo
12-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Yep... I have no problem with anyone having their own opinion on the topic, but businesses/corporations shouldn't be propagating hate.

To be fair, I don't think they were propagating hate. At least I didn't feel like they were.

Habspatrol
12-18-2012, 09:54 PM
To be fair, I don't think they were propagating hate. At least I didn't feel like they were.

Fair enough, in my opinion it's hateful to not allow two consenting adults who are in love to get married if that's what they want to make them happy.

BURG
01-27-2013, 04:29 PM
**** it. I'll bump this one too.

hockeylover
01-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Thanks a ton, Burg. Helpful for me.

Krustchev
03-31-2013, 12:59 PM
http://theleafsnation.com/uploads/Image/boooooookadri.jpeg

Yep.

He also looks like the dude who used to make the Schwarma at Fatouche. Just saying.

Sal_Butera
03-31-2013, 02:40 PM
He also looks like the dude who used to make the Schwarma at Fatouche. Just saying.
Not many people got that blvd St.Laurent reference I see.....

They made a damn good & cheap shawarma!

Krustchev
03-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Not many people got that blvd St.Laurent reference I see.....

They made a damn good & cheap shawarma!

You and I are a very select group here but I am shocked that Rolex did not comment.

CH1
03-31-2013, 02:46 PM
I was more of a Basha man.

Krustchev
03-31-2013, 02:49 PM

Is that place still there? It was okay.

Rolex
03-31-2013, 02:49 PM
You and I are a very select group here but I am shocked that Rolex did not comment.

The official press release is that Rolex ''has never tried any other shawarma than his wife's and mom's''

And let's keep it at that please...I don't want to sleep in the guest-house again....

Rolex
03-31-2013, 02:51 PM

I prefer Boustan.....that's where a lot of Habs players go for shawarma....

Krustchev
03-31-2013, 02:51 PM
The official press release is that Rolex ''has never tried any other shawarma than his wife's and mom's''

And let's keep it at that please...I don't want to sleep in the guest-house again....

Too bad. There's a place near me here, called "Hummus," owned by an Israeli family, that is excellent.

Sal_Butera
03-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Burned down a few times, for "remodeling" I take it.....

CH1
03-31-2013, 02:52 PM

It's become a chain but I still go to the original on St Catherine/Mansfield

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/basha-restaurants-montreal

CH1
03-31-2013, 02:55 PM

Boustan is yummy. Was more of a late night spot for me.

Lebanese food in Montreal is superior compared to other NA cities.

Rolex
03-31-2013, 02:55 PM
It's become a chain but I still go to the original on St Catherine/Mansfield

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/basha-restaurants-montreal

The one where Sports Expert is on the second floor...not far from Paramount Cinema ???

Rolex
03-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Boustan is yummy. Was more of a late night spot for me.

Lebanese food in Montreal is superior compared to other NA cities.

Plus the guy is soooooo funny....I heard he sold the place ??? One of my friends in the restaurant business told me he got offered a lot of money and either sold it or was contemplating doing it

CH1
03-31-2013, 02:56 PM
The one where Sports Expert is on the second floor...not far from Paramount Cinema ???

yep...they have a ton of daily specials/options and plenty of tables.

Rolex
03-31-2013, 02:58 PM
yep...they have a ton of daily specials/options and plenty of tables.

We were downtown last weekend walking around...the wife wanted some Lululemon bullshit overprices leggings for her bullshit hot yoga...we were hungry but we ended up going to M Cafe

Krustchev
03-31-2013, 02:59 PM
There were rumors that Fatouche was funneling money to Hamas but who knows?

Rolex
03-31-2013, 03:00 PM
There were rumors that Fatouche was funneling money to Hamas but who knows?

Who isn't ?

CH1
03-31-2013, 03:03 PM
We were downtown last weekend walking around...the wife wanted some Lululemon bullshit overprices leggings for her bullshit hot yoga...we were hungry but we ended up going to M Cafe

Thumbs up to Lululemon because their clothing makes women look hot and they have no problem wearing their tight fashions all over town.

Big thumbs down to MCafe. Should have bought one less pair of leggings and purchased a decent lunch.

Rolex
03-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Thumbs up to Lululemon because their clothing makes women look hot and they have no problem wearing their tight fashions all over town.

Big thumbs down to MCafe. Should have bought one less pair of leggings and purchased a decent lunch.

It's close to that watch place on De La Montagne....it was an easy set-up for me to fool the wife....eat at M Cafe, then walk up the street to look at watches

She even said it: ''you planned this all along didn't you ? '' I couldn't stop laughing

CH1
03-31-2013, 03:08 PM
You gotta up the complexity of your ruses. Don't be lazy, man.

Rolex
03-31-2013, 03:11 PM
You gotta up the complexity of your ruses. Don't be lazy, man.

:lol :cheers2:

By the way, did you see a redhead walking around town with a Bouillon jersey this weekend ??? (Count)

Rolex
03-31-2013, 03:11 PM
What about a man driving a Porsche Boxter with goalie pads (Legoalie)

DonKay
03-31-2013, 03:31 PM
It's close to that watch place on De La Montagne....it was an easy set-up for me to fool the wife....eat at M Cafe, then walk up the street to look at watches

She even said it: ''you planned this all along didn't you ? '' I couldn't stop laughing

Close to Wanda's too lol

BURG
03-31-2013, 10:36 PM
Went off on a little food tangent, so since there were enough posts, I decided to move them to this thread.

xposbrad
04-01-2013, 12:44 PM

I've gotten sick too many times from Boustan, I don't know if they even have time to cook the meat with some of the lineups they get. But I won't step foot in Boustan anymore, you figure 2-3 times, maybe it was the alcohol, then after another 3-4 more times of getting the runs the next day and your friend has them too, you realize, what kind of alcohol does that to you and maybe it was the chicken you ate.

TheCountofMonteCristo
04-02-2013, 08:55 PM
I know I am not as sophisticated food wise as you boys but I did enjoy my Bell Centre dogs on Saturday, my St Hubert chicken on Av des Canadiens and at the airport, and my Woodland's Pizza in Verdun this last weekend.

Rolex
04-02-2013, 08:58 PM
I know I am not as sophisticated food wise as you boys but I did enjoy my Bell Centre dogs on Saturday, my St Hubert chicken on Av des Canadiens and at the airport, and my Woodland's Pizza in Verdun this last weekend.

What ever happened to Bice and Cavalli's ???

Count, you're slacking big time buddy :nono:

:cheers2:

TheCountofMonteCristo
04-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Well I was there with a 9 yr old so his restaurant choices are usually based on whether he can have crayons or not.

Lotusland
04-02-2013, 10:23 PM

Whenever I return to Montreal I am hitting Kojax for the burgers and Lafleur's for hot dogs... and the Peel Pub for a pitcher of beer and a hot turkey sandwich for old time sakes. May even stop at Chenoy's for a smoke meat sandwich even though it was never very good there.

XPOFAN
04-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Nutella Pizza served at a restaurant in Genoa (Italy).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BHVyoiPCEAAJY9l.jpg

CH1
04-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Whenever I return to Montreal I am hitting Kojax for the burgers and Lafleur's for hot dogs... and the Peel Pub for a pitcher of beer and a hot turkey sandwich for old time sakes. May even stop at Chenoy's for a smoke meat sandwich even though it was never very good there.

Yikes. No need to recreate your cash stricken college days. Peel Pub has been fined for recycling beer.

I would hit Lafleur's on that list and skip the rest.

DonKay
04-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Xpo would never do that to a fellow paesano, even if he's 3-generations removed, just sayin....

XPO had me over for pasta night and he used ketchup as sauce...not sure how much of a paysan he is

XPOFAN
04-09-2014, 04:23 PM
XPO had me over for pasta night and he used ketchup as sauce...not sure how much of a paysan he is

I'd rather kiss Count's butt before that happened. :puke:

northernlou
04-09-2014, 04:27 PM
A buddy of mine used to put ketchup on spaghetti.
grossed me out the door

Habs-25
04-09-2014, 04:37 PM
grossed me out the door
some people put ketchup on Pizza

TheCountofMonteCristo
04-09-2014, 05:26 PM
grossed me out the door

damn just reading that got me remembering this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufYYOXiEtxM

northernlou
04-09-2014, 05:48 PM
thx for the bleeding ears

northernlou
04-09-2014, 05:49 PM

no! no! no!

Habs-25
04-09-2014, 05:53 PM
no! no! no!

I am serious lol

lecoqsportif
04-09-2014, 05:57 PM
grossed me out the door

Jail time.

lecoqsportif
04-09-2014, 05:58 PM

Firing squad.

TheCountofMonteCristo
04-09-2014, 05:59 PM
thx for the bleeding ears

the 2014 version of that type of song #selfie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdemFfbS5H0

XPOFAN
04-09-2014, 09:37 PM
I am serious lol

So sad.

CH1
04-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Watching those Chuck Hughes clips; can't believe everyone of these stiffs eats chicken and pasta before every game. Boring as f uck. There's other ways to get a protein and carb fix.

DonKay
04-10-2014, 04:00 PM
Watching those Chuck Hughes clips; can't believe everyone of these stiffs eats chicken and pasta before every game. Boring as f uck. There's other ways to get a protein and carb fix.

Max Paciorretty is apparently on the gluten free diet and he said he has never felt better...the way this guy is going maybe they should follow suit.

CH1
04-10-2014, 04:01 PM
chicken and more chicken for Max. Whatever works.

Habsy
04-10-2014, 04:44 PM
Max Paciorretty is apparently on the gluten free diet and he said he has never felt better...the way this guy is going maybe they should follow suit.

I started a gluten free diet last week. It's killing me.

CH1
04-10-2014, 04:48 PM
gluten free is the new devil. More BS from nutritional charlatans masquerading as scientists.

TheCountofMonteCristo
04-10-2014, 04:54 PM
chicken and more chicken for Max. Whatever works.

the Wade Boggs' diet?

worm
04-10-2014, 06:17 PM
gluten free is the new devil. More BS from nutritional charlatans masquerading as scientists.

yep

wife has to do it

it is actually much more unhealthy IMO.... they just pack the crap full of sugar or whatever instead of wheat

Habsy
04-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Naw, you can do gluten free naturally. Basically proteins, veggies and fruit

lecoqsportif
04-12-2014, 09:48 PM
I started a gluten free diet last week. It's killing me.

Are you gluten intolerant?

Habsy
04-12-2014, 10:04 PM
Are you gluten intolerant?

Doctor said tests showed possibility of Celiac.

XPOFAN
04-12-2014, 10:04 PM

What is that?

lecoqsportif
04-12-2014, 10:08 PM

That sux.

Habsy
04-12-2014, 10:09 PM
They're running more tests. It's my fault, having restaurants caused me to eat too well in life. Now paying for it.

I will say I've been feeling better since I cut out the gluten.

Habhead
04-12-2014, 10:12 PM
You likely are not celiac, I have a gluten problem and when I eat too much pizza, buns, and especially with lots of beer it wipes me out, but I'm not celiac.

Habsy
04-12-2014, 10:16 PM
I don't drink much beer anymore but I do like my bread.

That's what I'm missing.

GGpX
04-12-2014, 10:39 PM
yep

wife has to do it

it is actually much more unhealthy IMO.... they just pack the crap full of sugar or whatever instead of wheat

Yeah, I don't eat the gluten free stuff. I just try to eat stuff that just doesn't have any glutten at all.

Pelio diet ftw ;)

DonKay
04-12-2014, 10:45 PM
They're running more tests. It's my fault, having restaurants caused me to eat too well in life. Now paying for it.

The thing with gluten is that it bogs you down....its heavy and bloats you.

It's why a lot of people feel better when they cut it out, they feel more energetic etc....

I'd like to try but I like pasta, bread, cereals, starchy food too much

But I do notice that when I cut it down some it helps alot

DonKay
04-12-2014, 10:46 PM

What's your symptoms? I've gone through my fair share of stomach ailments

CaptainBolduke
04-12-2014, 11:18 PM
As much as people want to deny it, eating less gluten is good for you.

Science is a hell of a drug.

Habs-25
04-12-2014, 11:38 PM

i am sure you did full blood test and checked your level of iron but in case you didn't with Celiac symptom you need to verify the level of your iron to see if you have iron deficiency or vitamin B12 deficiency .also ask for Thyroid function tests to determinate hypothyroidism.
as it was mentioned you should stay with Gluten free diet , that is a must ...
Hope you feel better man .

worm
04-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I don't eat the gluten free stuff. I just try to eat stuff that just doesn't have any glutten at all.

Pelio diet ftw ;)

mostly the sauces, dressings, etc that are a pain

but of course when somebody tells you cant have pasta, dessert, bread, etc anymore...you are going to crave it

XPOFAN
04-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Anyone who says you can't have pasta should be shot.

Elliotlaker
04-14-2014, 05:28 PM
You can look at alternative pastas, when I did a gluten free diet, I was introduced to brown rice pasta, and there are other pastas that are gluten free. Gluten free breads can also be purchased at health food stores. Of course, gluten free means a different way of eating and it's not as tasty, but you'll get use to it.

The first week on a gluten free diet kicked the hell right out of me....felt like a zombie. then the benefits started. Hang in there, do your homework, and it will pay off.

TheCountofMonteCristo
04-14-2014, 05:29 PM
so you guys go without to enjoy life and likely will die before me, sucks to be you

CH1
04-14-2014, 05:37 PM
most people who give up gluten, only benefit because they are suddenly being mindful about their overall eating... and simultaneously avoiding foodstuffs that are processed along with gluten.

Unless you have celiac disease, you don't need to vilify gluten. Be mindful of all the crap you eat and still enjoy amounts of good quality pasta, bread and pizza.

worm
04-14-2014, 06:09 PM
you mean eating a loaf of bread a day wont make me feel superhuman?

CaptainBolduke
04-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Eating less gluten is a good thing. I think we can all agree on that. You don't need to be a nutritionist to know the obvious.

GrandWazoo
04-14-2014, 08:18 PM
Eating less is a good thing. I think we can all agree on that. You don't need to be a nutritionist to know the obvious.

Fixed for you

CH1
04-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Eat Real Food. Mostly Plants. Not too much.

real food = stay away from processed crap

DonKay
04-14-2014, 08:25 PM
When I cut carbs I felt much better....but I don't think I would ever be able to go gluten free too many of the best foods are glutenized

lecoqsportif
04-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Doritos are vegetables.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

CH1
04-14-2014, 08:28 PM
When I cut carbs I felt much better....but I don't think I would ever be able to go gluten free too many of the best foods are glutenized

gluten isn't the devil, it's just a protein found in grains. Believe it or not, Dr Kellogg thought you should only eat grains and avoid all other types of protein.

My point = nutritionists are hack scientists. Most of us know what's good for us. We just need to exert a little discipline.

lecoqsportif
04-14-2014, 08:30 PM
Exactly. An all-Chips-Ahoy diet is like a cleansing.

CH1
04-14-2014, 08:31 PM
Exactly. An all-Chips-Ahoy diet is like a cleansing.

important to drink the right amount of red wine

Rolex
04-14-2014, 08:35 PM
by right amount you mean 1 glass a day....max....or else you get a big tummy

northernlou
04-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Anyone who says you can't have pasta should be shot.

I could just about eat it everyday.

northernlou
04-14-2014, 11:04 PM
Farewell to gluten free: Why we are so easily fooled by pseudoscience and marketing gimmicks when it comes to food

Gluten gives fresh bread its pull and chew. A complex protein, it is to baked goods as tannin is to wine, more a feel than a flavour, but a key part of the sensory magic. It makes cereals satisfying, pasta al dente and crackers crisp. Bagels bounce on springs of gluten.

But gluten has lately acquired a famously bad reputation among trend-savvy nutritionistas, who blame it for everything from irritable bowels and autoimmune disorders to bloating and lethargy, even diabetes, depression, autism and schizophrenia. A whole industry has risen up to capitalize on its wholesale rejection, in which gluten-free foods are often sold at a massive mark-up over “regular” products.

But cracks are appearing, not so much in the medical science, which for the truly gluten-intolerant has made major strides in lockstep with the trend, but in gluten as the pop cultural food obsession du jour.

How we got here is a familiar story, said Yoni Freedhoff, an Ottawa doctor specializing in nutrition and obesity, and it reflects a modern dietary “guruism” characterized by fundamentalist claims and aggressive zealotry.

Helped along by the messianic testimonials of self-help pseudoscience and blatantly misleading advertising, “gluten free” appears to be on track to become the latest health food megatrend to collapse under the weight of time and common sense, like the low-carbohydrate Atkins diet, and the mantra of “no saturated fats,” recently undermined by a broad scientific review.

continued...http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/03/28/farewell-to-gluten-free-why-we-are-so-easily-fooled-by-pseudoscience-and-marketing-gimmicks-when-it-comes-to-food/

BURG
04-14-2014, 11:33 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/s403x403/1462922_222637771193647_296874621_n.jpg

BURG
04-14-2014, 11:33 PM
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/p403x403/1456802_222637741193650_1320002036_n.jpg

BURG
04-14-2014, 11:34 PM
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/s403x403/1441211_222637567860334_1972677840_n.jpg

BURG
04-14-2014, 11:35 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/p403x403/525454_197967856993972_32647402_n.jpg

BURG
04-14-2014, 11:36 PM
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/p403x403/936373_197968133660611_23034755_n.jpg

xposbrad
04-15-2014, 12:15 AM
This gluten free thing is nuts. There was gluten free matzah at my seder tonight. It's out of control now, this whole gluten free thing didn't exist 10 years ago, yet we all survived somehow.

Habs-25
04-15-2014, 12:24 AM
If you are into Persian food Tehran Restaurant on Maisonneuve and Decarie almost(not far from Vendome station) is just amazing, a bit pricey but the best Persian Kebab .

worm
04-15-2014, 11:37 AM
This gluten free thing is nuts. There was gluten free matzah at my seder tonight. It's out of control now, this whole gluten free thing didn't exist 10 years ago, yet we all survived somehow.

probably from all the processed crap we eat

Habspatrol
04-15-2014, 02:11 PM

Well that's a bizarre rational for thinking something is okay. People used to think smoking was fine. Asbestos? We used that shit for years.

I'm currently not on a gluten free diet cause it's a pain in the ass.... but when I was off gluten for a month I felt a hell of a lot better.

TheCountofMonteCristo
04-15-2014, 02:16 PM

Moses is rolling over in his grave, gluten free matzah ball?

DonKay
04-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Moses is rolling over in his grave, gluten free matzah ball?

Oy vey!!

BURG
08-01-2014, 03:18 PM
http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/53da1a606da8111d15e15123-840-7242/long%20beer.jpg

GGpX
08-01-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm headed to Tuck Shop tonight. Hoping it's going to be good.

OutOfReach
08-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Hi. Brand new to the board. I do have to travel through Montreal sometimes. I think I'm about fed up with St. Hubert BBQ. Any ideas for fast meals? Keep in mind that I don't really speak french and it is pretty intimidating. And for all the times I've heard that you can get by if you are not bilingual, the blank stares I have gotten have been embarrassing. Thanks.

xposbrad
08-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Hi. Brand new to the board. I do have to travel through Montreal sometimes. I think I'm about fed up with St. Hubert BBQ. Any ideas for fast meals? Keep in mind that I don't really speak french and it is pretty intimidating. And for all the times I've heard that you can get by if you are not bilingual, the blank stares I have gotten have been embarrassing. Thanks.

Can you give us a bit more info to work with? When/how long are you coming for? Do you have a car? What area of town are you staying in? Fast meals, like Nickels type of cheap/fast?

OutOfReach
08-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Can you give us a bit more info to work with? When/how long are you coming for? Do you have a car? What area of town are you staying in? Fast meals, like Nickels type of cheap/fast?

Sorry, I usually have to go through by car a few times a year but I do not stay over. Sometimes it's grab and go and sometimes it's dine in like at a family restaurant. I can say in all honesty that I don't tend to stay long because of the language barrier. It's difficult for me even though I've been trying to learn basic french. They don't teach you much here.

GGpX
08-02-2014, 02:12 PM
What's your price range, how many people are you, what kind of cuisine do you like?

GGpX
08-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Tuck Shop was amazing. ****ing great.

I can't afford to go to restaurants very often, but man, I'd like to go back there soon.

OutOfReach
08-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Sometimes it's just me, but up to 4 people. Price range would be anything from a simple burger joint/chain to about $40 per person, unless it's a more special occasion. Never heard of Tuck shop. Will look into it. Tend to like food that is not necessarily found all over the place. If I can get it anywhere in Ontario, doesn't usually catch my eye.

GGpX
08-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Tuck Shop will usually require reservations a week or so ahead of time because it's not a big place. It seats, maybe, 35-40 people.

My best recommendation, since you seem to be into just about everything, would be to check out Cult MTL's Best of Montreal 2014.

http://cultmontreal.com/2014/05/best-of-mtl-2014-food-drink/

They've listed a bunch of good places.

There's also the "38 Essential Restaurants in Montreal" website, although the restaurants aren't cheap.

http://montreal.eater.com/archives/2014/07/02/the-38-essential-montreal-restaurants-july-2014.php

OutOfReach
08-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Thanks. Especially that first one, cult. it has everything broken down. I'm gonna figure out how I can spend a whole week in the Montreal area during the season, get to a game if there are tickets and visit multiple places.

GGpX
08-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Yup. And if you settle on going to a place, it's best to reserve ahead of time. Most of them you can reserve a few days ahead of time and you'll be fine.

There's a place called Joe Beef that's always booked one month ahead of time. It's supposed to be amazing as well. I think the next available table for 4 is at the end of September.

CH1
08-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Milos has an amazing $25 lunch (but best to book ahead)

http://milos.ca/restaurants/montreal/menus/lunch

OutOfReach
08-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Just added Milos to my phone. I'm surprised so many places have a long book ahead period. The restaurant scene must be jumping.

By the way, and super sized sports bars like Real Sports in Toronto? The place is an absolute zoo, sometimes you meet athletes in there and that's where the MLSE gala is held.

http://www.bestoftoronto.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/PlayersGala-BestofToronto-012.jpg

BURG
08-02-2014, 03:09 PM

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb50/BURG74/welcome.gif to Forum Ice OutOfReach. :cheers2:

OutOfReach
08-02-2014, 03:25 PM
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb50/BURG74/welcome.gif to Forum Ice OutOfReach. :cheers2:

Thanks. Life long Hab fan in a sea of blue and white. Been around Montreal and it is electric when there is a big game about to happen. you can feel it. Can't find that anywhere else.

GGpX
08-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Just added Milos to my phone. I'm surprised so many places have a long book ahead period. The restaurant scene must be jumping.

By the way, and super sized sports bars like Real Sports in Toronto? The place is an absolute zoo, sometimes you meet athletes in there and that's where the MLSE gala is held.

http://www.bestoftoronto.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/PlayersGala-BestofToronto-012.jpg

I don't think there's an equivalent in Montreal. There are tons of sports bars (most family friendly place is probably Cage aux Sports, they're all over the place in the province. There's even one in the Bell Center.) all over the place.

BURG
08-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Thanks. Life long Hab fan in a sea of blue and white. Been around Montreal and it is electric when there is a big game about to happen. you can feel it. Can't find that anywhere else.

There are a few of "you" on this site.

OutOfReach
08-05-2014, 07:22 PM
There are a few of "you" on this site.

Fortunately, most of the Leaf fans I know are pretty decent in that you can sit an watch a game with them on rivalry nights. But I do often get to see delusion up close.

DonKay
08-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Sorry, I usually have to go through by car a few times a year but I do not stay over. Sometimes it's grab and go and sometimes it's dine in like at a family restaurant. I can say in all honesty that I don't tend to stay long because of the language barrier. It's difficult for me even though I've been trying to learn basic french. They don't teach you much here.

You shouldn't feel intimidated about not speaking french when your downtown Montreal....you can by just speaking english.

You gotta know that Montreal has its fair share of tourists and most stotes and restaurants know this and cater to that aspevt.

Dont worry about it

OutOfReach
08-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Really? Let me preface by saying I'm not one of those who are anti-french. If anything I sympathize.
But you did say when downtown, so I should also say I'm not just talking about right in Montreal, but in the other areas close by.

I've been lost and asked a cop in english which way to go and he told me in french, thus getting more lost. I've had to stop and sleep while in the area, so I went into one of those public information centres looking for a hotel and was told by the woman there that she does not speak english. She gave me directions in french. I've been to a hotel and called to try and get another room, but she could not understand that the sheets were dirty. Even in restaurants, I'd order in english and would be asked about things I could not understand in french. At many stores and gas stations, I just get blank stares. It could be just a bunch of unlucky situations, but usually I just prefer to pass through stopping as little as possible. :(

xposbrad
08-05-2014, 08:47 PM
Really? Let me preface by saying I'm not one of those who are anti-french. If anything I sympathize.
But you did say when downtown, so I should also say I'm not just talking about right in Montreal, but in the other areas close by.

I've been lost and asked a cop in english which way to go and he told me in french, thus getting more lost. I've had to stop and sleep while in the area, so I went into one of those public information centres looking for a hotel and was told by the woman there that she does not speak english. She gave me directions in french. I've been to a hotel and called to try and get another room, but she could not understand that the sheets were dirty. Even in restaurants, I'd order in english and would be asked about things I could not understand in french. At many stores and gas stations, I just get blank stares. It could be just a bunch of unlucky situations, but usually I just prefer to pass through stopping as little as possible. :(

You will be fine, my french sucks and I get by. A lot of people will accommodate you if they see you can't speak it. Cops though, are stubborn, and on power trips here, even though they are just ticket writers and enforce traffic laws but protest every 3-4 years for something. Downtown and west island you will be fine with english. What hotel are you staying at? There are a ton of good places downtown, just don't go to any french cuisine places, you will get small portioned and over priced food.

OutOfReach
08-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Part of my problem may be if I need to stop, the better prices would be outside of downtown including Drummondville, Boucherville, places just off the highway, etc with names that I recognize.

I suppose a lot of people would just say to get better at french. I've been trying and it is the second hardest thing I've had to learn as an adult (and if it were so easy to learn languages, people in service positions, no less, would all be bilingual).

If you guessed hockey was the hardest, you are right. I plan on asking if other people have had that experience in a different thread.

GGpX
08-05-2014, 09:26 PM
You will be fine, my french sucks and I get by. A lot of people will accommodate you if they see you can't speak it. Cops though, are stubborn, and on power trips here, even though they are just ticket writers and enforce traffic laws but protest every 3-4 years for something. Downtown and west island you will be fine with english. What hotel are you staying at? There are a ton of good places downtown, just don't go to any french cuisine places, you will get small portioned and over priced food.

The cops look like angels compared to the public transport workers. Easily the biggest pieces of shit in the city I've seen.

A few years back when I had to get my student bus pass, I was waiting in line and there was this fat dude with a black t-shirt written "INFORMATION". So a bunch of people went to the guy & asked questions. The whole time he treated everybody with no ****ing respect at all, almost like he was angry people wanted to talk to him. But then he blew up when someone dared to ask him a question in English. "On est au Québec icite, et me ferais pas parler de même par un hosti d'immigré. On parle FRANÇAIS." (We're in Quebec, and I ain't going to be talked to that way by some ****ing immigrent. We speak FRENCH.) What a complete ****ing buffoon.

OutOfReach
08-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Wow. That must be universal. There are continuous complaints about TTC employees in the Toronto area. It has also made them targets for public abuse and for being photographed and reported. Part of the backlash probably also stems from the fact that something like 1000 employees of the TTC make over $100,000/yr and they have people driving buses that make $140,000 and collecting tokens making $130,000. :shrug

worm
08-06-2014, 10:24 AM
So cork was right.

French people are the worst.

DonKay
08-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Part of my problem may be if I need to stop, the better prices would be outside of downtown including Drummondville, Boucherville, places just off the highway, etc with names that I recognize.

I suppose a lot of people would just say to get better at french. I've been trying and it is the second hardest thing I've had to learn as an adult (and if it were so easy to learn languages, people in service positions, no less, would all be bilingual).

If you guessed hockey was the hardest, you are right. I plan on asking if other people have had that experience in a different thread.

If you're talking places like Drumondville and Boucherville than yes you won't feel as comfortable being unilingual.

there's always the west island of course and anything going Westward pretty much

GrandWazoo
08-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Montreal is safe to speak English, as long as you don't venture too far East (by East I mean starting at Hochelaga-Maisonneuve). But out of the city you better be able to speak some French.

XPOFAN
08-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Report on Business ‏
Tim Hortons shoots for more sales growth with menu innovation, expected to launch dark roast

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BucqGLuIMAAuU74.jpg

XPOFAN
08-26-2014, 09:32 PM
I think I'm going to like this guy

Allan Walsh ‏
Montreal's Jiri Sekac with his new favorite baseball cap. #Expos

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bv-aP3-IIAEjA_h.jpg

Rolex
08-26-2014, 09:33 PM
That's Anthony Park's restaurant....

CH1
08-26-2014, 09:42 PM
That's Anthony Park's restaurant....

Have you been? I keep meaning to hit it when I'm in town.

XPOFAN
08-26-2014, 09:45 PM

I tthink you can get arrested for that?

Rolex
08-26-2014, 10:18 PM

Great restaurant....

Only dilemma when you get there: do you take the tasting menu or go a la carte ?

Most people take the tasting menu and swear by it.....I usually do a la carte there.

One problem though: you won't get the ''special'' sushis you see the Habs players eating (Anthony posts the pics on his facebook page)...those are custom made for his celebrity ''clients''....you have to take whatever tasting menu is the night you're there, or the regular usual items from the a la carte menu.

It's just like Chuck Hughes.....he used to make special dishes for Habs players, dishes that you can't order at his restaurant.

Sucks to be a normal Joe....:lol

GGpX
08-26-2014, 10:45 PM
Great restaurant....

Only dilemma when you get there: do you take the tasting menu or go a la carte ?

Most people take the tasting menu and swear by it.....I usually do a la carte there.

One problem though: you won't get the ''special'' sushis you see the Habs players eating (Anthony posts the pics on his facebook page)...those are custom made for his celebrity ''clients''....you have to take whatever tasting menu is the night you're there, or the regular usual items from the a la carte menu.

It's just like Chuck Hughes.....he used to make special dishes for Habs players, dishes that you can't order at his restaurant.

It's 10 minutes walking distance away from where I live, but unfortunately I don't like seafood & sushi. But yeah, it's apparently amazing. My mom went there a few weeks back and she absolutely loved it.

CH1
08-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Great restaurant....

Celebs having their own menu is so 1999. Tasting menus ain't cheap so give me the good stuff even I'm not a Hab. I don;t mind paying for it.

Habsy
08-27-2014, 11:39 AM

Does it?

Just make your own stuff.

Or let me guess, you don't cook.

Guinch
08-27-2014, 01:59 PM
My wife works for Antonio so I may be biased, but honestly, its some of the best sushi/seafood I have ever had. I am not not such a sushi guy, and dont eat shrimp etc... but his specialty is the fresh fishes anyways and he will always accommodate eating restrictions/allergies.

His lunch specials are amazing, but supper can get pricey, especially if you take the tasting menu...

Rolex
08-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Does it?

Just make your own stuff.

Or let me guess, you don't cook.

Don't be naive man....it takes years of experience to become a good sushi chef....i've made sushi at home a few times....its a hassle and can't be remotely compared to the good stuff i've had in restaurants

Habsy
08-27-2014, 06:58 PM
I was messing with you man. I think I know what it takes to prepare different foods and the expertise involved.

Isaac25
08-27-2014, 07:09 PM
Create a foodie thread dipshits!
:smilewinkgrin:

Exit716
08-27-2014, 11:25 PM
Create a foodie thread dipshits!
:smilewinkgrin:

The Food Network is on free preview on Rogers! I'm really enjoying catching up on the eight year old Diner Drive Ins and Dives Episodes.

Krustchev
08-28-2014, 03:24 AM
The Food Network is on free preview on Rogers! I'm really enjoying catching up on the eight year old Diner Drive Ins and Dives Episodes.

I recently went to a place in L.A. ("The Golden State") that they/Guy featured last year and it was actually excellent.

Exit716
08-28-2014, 07:24 PM
I recently went to a place in L.A. ("The Golden State") that they/Guy featured last year and it was actually excellent.

The episodes that air in Canada are at least a year old. They are still airing one which features a restaurant that Kid Rock owned that has long since gone out of business.

TheCountofMonteCristo
08-28-2014, 08:53 PM
Krust watches the Food Network? Holy Crap

GGpX
08-29-2014, 10:25 PM
Moishes is the shit.

CH1
08-29-2014, 11:11 PM
Moishes is the shit.

Only if you stay hungry.

xposbrad
08-29-2014, 11:25 PM
Krust watches the Food Network? Holy Crap

Diners Drive ins & Dives

rouah
09-02-2014, 01:05 AM
I'd watch Food Network if Guy Fieri wasn't there. Most annoying TV host of all time.

Habspatrol
09-02-2014, 01:11 PM
I'd watch Food Network if Guy Fieri wasn't there. Most annoying TV host of all time.

Can't you just avoid his show?

Krustchev
09-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Can't you just avoid his show?

Are you saying that the Food Network has other shows on besides DD&D?

Habspatrol
09-02-2014, 01:41 PM
I don't know... never watch it.

rouah
09-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Well that's the problem. This guy Guy is on like half of the time...

xposbrad
09-02-2014, 07:56 PM
The episodes that air in Canada are at least a year old. They are still airing one which features a restaurant that Kid Rock owned that has long since gone out of business.

I get DTV and have seen almost every episode. I wish we had some of that food here in montreal instead of fancy french places that give you almost no portion sizes and throw sauce on the plate to take up space. I salivate when I watch that show.

Krustchev
09-02-2014, 07:59 PM
I get DTV and have seen almost every episode. I wish we had some of that food here in montreal instead of fancy french places that give you almost no portion sizes and throw sauce on the plate to take up space. I salivate when I watch that show.

It's actually amazing that Guy is not fatter given what he eats.

lecoqsportif
09-02-2014, 10:06 PM
I get DTV and have seen almost every episode. I wish we had some of that food here in montreal instead blah blah blah blah I hate frogs blah blah blah.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/67/6618/Montreal/Diners?last_filter=cuisine&page=
http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/67/6647/Montreal/Southern-Soul-Restaurants

The internet is a wonderful thing, that took about 12 seconds.

I hear there are also one or two Italian and Greek eateries in Montreal. Word is they don't skimp on portions, so tuck in.

Geezus.

GGpX
09-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Any of you ever been to Joe Beef? Is it as good as everyone says it is?

GrandWazoo
09-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Any of you ever been to Joe Beef? Is it as good as everyone says it is?

Been there on my last trip to Montreal. It was amazing, especially the Lievre Royale, simply quite possibly the best single food item I've ever had in my life.

But I also mostly like the overall vibe of the restaurant, it's warm and down to Earth, it doesn't feel like some other snob fancy restaurants. They clearly love their food there.

xposbrad
09-03-2014, 07:57 PM
http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/67/6618/Montreal/Diners?last_filter=cuisine&page=
http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/67/6647/Montreal/Southern-Soul-Restaurants

The internet is a wonderful thing, that took about 12 seconds.

I hear there are also one or two Italian and Greek eateries in Montreal. Word is they don't skimp on portions, so tuck in.

Geezus.

I like frogs, I find them cute. You obviously don't watch the show if you think any place on that list would ever come close to being on DDD.

GGpX
09-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Been there on my last trip to Montreal. It was amazing, especially the Lievre Royale, simply quite possibly the best single food item I've ever had in my life.

But I also mostly like the overall vibe of the restaurant, it's warm and down to Earth, it doesn't feel like some other snob fancy restaurants. They clearly love their food there.

Next time you come to Montreal, try Tuck Shop. Heard a lot of good things about them over the last year & they lived up to it. I like that they have a small, ever-changing menu varying on what's in season at the market. My only complaint is that it gets a little loud, but really that's a minor thing.

I reserved a table at Joe Beef... First Friday for 4 at 6PM available was in late November, heh. Oh well, I'll wait.

GrandWazoo
09-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Yeah I was able to get one on a Thursday at 10pm, which was fine because our plane was landing at 8pm that day.

Maybe I'll try Tuck Shop next time but it's going to be hard to not go back to Joe Beef! :)

GGpX
09-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Ah, yeah, I guess that works.