PDA

View Full Version : 2013-14 Champions League

andyt
06-24-2013, 10:27 PM
OK, it's early, but the first and second round draws were held today.

First Qualifying Round - to be played July 2, 3 and 9, 10

Shirak (Armenia) v Tre Penne (San Marino)
Lusitanos (Andorra) v EB/Streymur (Faroe Islands)

Second Qualifying Round - to be played July 16, 17 and 23, 24

Neftci (Azerbaijan) v Skenderbeu (Albania)
Steaua Bucuresti (Romania) v Vardar (Macedonia)
Plzen (Czech Republic) v Zeljeznicar (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
FC Sheriff (Moldova) v Sutjeska (Macedonia)
Birkirkara (Malta) v Maribor (Slovenia)
Sligo Rovers (Ireland) v Molde (Norway)
IF Elfsborg (Sweden) v FC Daugava (Latvia)
HJK Helsinki (Finland) v Nomme Kalju (Estonia)
FK Ekranas (Lithuania) v FH Hafnarfjordur (Iceland)
The New Saints (Wales) v Legia Warsaw (Poland)
Celtic (Scotland) v Cliftonville (Northern Ireland)
Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia) v CS Fola Esch (Luxembourg)
Gyor (Hungary) v Maccabi Tel-Aviv (Israel)
BATE (Belarus) v Shakhtyor Karaganda (Kazakhstan)
Shirak - Tre Penne winner v Partizan Belgrade (Serbia)
Slovan Bratislava (Slovakia) v Ludogorets (Bulgaria)
Dinamo Tbilisi (Georgia) v Lusitanos - EB/Streymur winner

These are the 17th - 53rd ranked associations according to the 2012 UEFA country coefficient.

jeffbear
06-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Well ... my Celtic Bhoys drew well, getting Cliftonville. At least nobody has to blow a bunch of money of travel expenses.

davemess
06-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Well ... my Celtic Bhoys drew well, getting Cliftonville. At least nobody has to blow a bunch of money of travel expenses.

Sure both Glasgow & Belfast police forwards are just thrilled with that draw.

jeffbear
06-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Sure both Glasgow & Belfast police forwards are just thrilled with that draw.

Yeah ... didn't really think of that, but you're right. Could be a bit tense in terms of community policing.

andyt
06-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Fenerbahce has been banned from European competitions for 3 years, with the 3rd year deferred for a probationary 5 year period. That moves 3rd place Besitkas up from the Europa League to the Champions League...except they were banned too. Both bans are due to match fixing. Fourth place Bursaspor moves up to the CL. Steaua Bucharest from Romania has also been banned from 1 European competition over the next 5 years.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1484628/fenerbahce-given-champions-league-ban-besiktas-given-europa-ban?cc=5901

jeffbear
06-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Match fixing has become a bit of an epidemic. I understand that there's some rumblings that there might be yet another scandal brewing in Italy in addition to Turkey and Bulgaria. I don't think ANYBODY wants to go turning over too many rocks in the Ukrainian and Russian leagues either ... FWIW.

Cali Ed
08-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Fenerbahce has been banned from European competitions for 3 years, with the 3rd year deferred for a probationary 5 year period. That moves 3rd place Besitkas up from the Europa League to the Champions League...except they were banned too. Both bans are due to match fixing. Fourth place Bursaspor moves up to the CL. Steaua Bucharest from Romania has also been banned from 1 European competition over the next 5 years.

Except, of course, that Fenerbahçe has appealed that ban so they get to play Arsenal at home today in the qualifying round. The case will be decided after the return leg. How upset would I be as Besitkas' management knowing that I don't have the right to determine my own European future on the pitch? The craziness that is UEFA.

First leg, 70th minute: Fenerbahçe 0-2 Arsenal

andyt
08-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Except, of course, that Fenerbahçe has appealed that ban so they get to play Arsenal at home today in the qualifying round. The case will be decided after the return leg. How upset would I be as Besitkas' management knowing that I don't have the right to determine my own European future on the pitch? The craziness that is UEFA.

First leg, 70th minute: Fenerbahçe 0-2 Arsenal

Besitkas was also banned so they have no rights to cry over Fenerbahce's appeal. They appealed too so they could play in the Europa League.

Arsenal won 3-0 with the last coming on a Giroud penalty in the 77th. It sucks that I can't watch or listen to CL matches without a subscription, so I'm stuck with the Chelski-Villa match.

Cali Ed
08-21-2013, 05:24 PM
It sucks that I can't watch or listen to CL matches without a subscription, so I'm stuck with the Chelski-Villa match.

Which ended up being a better match anyways. I stopped flipping over as often once Arse was up two, and stopped once Giroud converted the penalty.

Here were the other results today
Dinamo Zagreb 0 - 2 Aust Vienna
Ludogorets Razgrad 2 - 4 FC Basel
Schalke 04 1 - 1 Paok Salonika
Steaua Buch't 1 - 1 Legia Warsaw

andyt
08-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Last of the playoff matches today.

Zenit St. Petersburg v. Pacos de Ferreira. ZSP leads 4-1
AC Milan v. PSV Eindhoven. Tied 1-1
Celtic v. Shakhter Karagandy. Shakhtar leads 2-0
NK Maribor v. Viktoria Plzen. Plzen leads 3-1
Real Sociedad v. Lyon. Real Sociedad leads 2-0

Yesterday's results:

Austria Wien 2-3 Dinamo Zagreb Austria Wien advances 4-3 aggregate
Basel 2-0 Ludogorets Razgrad. Basel advances 6-2 aggregate
Legia Warsaw 2-2 Steaua Bucuresti. Steaua advances on away goals
PAOK Salonika 2-3 Schalke 04. Schalke advances 4-3 aggregate
Arsenal 2-0 Fenerbahce. Arsenal advances 5-0 aggregate.

After their match, Fenerbahce received a 2 year European ban, effective immediately. They were removed from this year's Europa League and banned from any UEFA competition next year. A decision on who will replace them in the Europa League Group Stage will be made on Thursday in Monaco. Additionally, the CAS confirmed Metalist Kharkiv's expulsion. They had beaten PAOK Salonika in the 3rd qualifying round but were removed before the playoff round and replaced by PAOK.

Cali Ed
08-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Wow! Stirring comeback so far by Celtic, scoring late in the first half and early on in the second to level the score at 2 on aggregate.

Cali Ed
08-28-2013, 04:44 PM
And with that James Forrest goal in the 92nd minute, the Hoops comeback is complete. WOW!

Final from Celtic Park

Celtic 3-0 Shakhter Karagandy

(Celtic advance 3-2 on aggregate)

jeffbear
08-28-2013, 04:52 PM
James Forrest just potted one in the 92nd minute. Looks like my bhoys are through again .... improbably after how crappy they played last week. That result for Celtic was worth about 16 million quid and a truck load of having something to play for. HUGE.

Should have hit refresh I see. Ed was all over that one.

andyt
08-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Here are the rest:

Zenit St. Petersburg 4-2 Pacos de Ferreira. ZSP advances 8-3 aggregate
AC Milan 3-0 PSV Eindhoven. AC Milan advances 4-1 aggregate
NK Maribor 0-1 Viktoria Plzen. Plzen advances 4-1 aggregate
Real Sociedad 2-0 Lyon. Real Sociedad advances 4-0

Here are the seeding pots:

Pot 1 - Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Man U, Arsenal, Porto, Benfica

Pot 2 - Atletico Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, AC Milan, Schalke 04, Marseille, CSKA Moscow, PSG, Juventus

Pot 3 - Zenit St. Petersburg, Man City, Ajax, Borussia Dortmund, Basel, Olympiacos, Galatasaray, Bayer Leverkusen

Pot 4 - Copenhagen, Napoli, Anderlecht, Celtic, Steaua Bucuresti, Viktoria Plzen, Real Sociedad, Austria Wien

The draw is 8/29.

Cali Ed
08-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Jeff, no big deal. I was watching the entire match (yes Celtic and not PSV/AC Milan) and never left this page so I had my comment in as soon as James struck that shot. Of course if not for that mesmerizing run by Anthony Stokes, he's not in a position to score that goal.

Andy: thanks for post that. I realized shortly after the match I hadn't posted the further updates but was too tired to come back to post it. ;)

andyt
08-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Andy: thanks for post that. I realized shortly after the match I hadn't posted the further updates but was too tired to come back to post it. ;)

Wikipedia had the pots listed before anyone updated the last 2 final scores. You can also see how much Man City got punished for finishing last in their group last year. They aren't even in the top 25; Spurs are the 4th rated BPL team at 21. With the 18th best club coefficient in the CL, they dropped all the way to the 3rd pot, while 2 teams (Porto and Benfica) from the 5th rated league ended up in Pot 1. Porto made the round of 16 in the CL last year, Benfica lost the Europa League final to Chelsea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_club_coefficient#Club_coefficient

jeffbear
08-29-2013, 08:08 AM
And Celtic got no bump whatsoever from making it out of Groups last season. Thanks a lot UEFA.

For what it's worth, with the selling off of Hooper and Wanyama, there's virtually no way that Celtic get out of Groups this season. So at least it's not that big a deal to remain stuck in the fourth pot.

andyt
08-29-2013, 08:29 AM
And Celtic got no bump whatsoever from making it out of Groups last season. Thanks a lot UEFA.

For what it's worth, with the selling off of Hooper and Wanyama, there's virtually no way that Celtic get out of Groups this season. So at least it's not that big a deal to remain stuck in the fourth pot.

It's going to be hard for them to get an traction in the rankings until the SPL coeffecient recovers. They're 23rd, up 1 spot from the last ranking. Napoli and Real Sociedad could get huge bumps with any result based on their league rankings.

andyt
08-29-2013, 01:04 PM
And the draw:

Group A: Man United, Shakhtar Donetsk, Bayer Leverkusen, Real Sociedad

Group B: Real Madrid, Juventus, Galatasaray, FC Copenhagen

Group C: Benfica, PSG, Olympiakos, Anderlecht

Group D: Bayern Munich, CSKA Moscow, Man City, Viktoria Plzen

Group E: Chelsea, Schalke, FC Basel, Steaua Bucharest

Group F: Arsenal, Marseille, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli

Group G: FC Porto, Atletico Madrid, Zenit St Petersburg, Austria Vienna

Group H: Barcelona, AC Milan, Ajax, Celtic

jeffbear
08-29-2013, 05:04 PM
It's going to be hard for them to get an traction in the rankings until the SPL coeffecient recovers. They're 23rd, up 1 spot from the last ranking. Napoli and Real Sociedad could get huge bumps with any result based on their league rankings.

I really do think that recent success in the Champions League ought to count for something more than it does in the point matrix. Still, it's a transitional year for Celtic regardless, so landing in a group with Barca, AC Milan and Ajax hurts less than it would have last season. And I truly look forward to seeing all three of those teams in Celtic Park.

jeffbear
08-29-2013, 05:06 PM
BTW ... compare the draws for Chelsea and Arsenal. Good God almighty, what a difference. The Gunners' pot 4 team is at least as good as ANY of the other teams in Chelsea's group. Ridiculously unbalanced.

Group E: Chelsea, Schalke, FC Basel, Steaua Bucharest

Group F: Arsenal, Marseille, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli

andyt
08-29-2013, 08:07 PM
And Arsenal's Pot 3 team lost in the final last year.

Man City got a favorable draw too. If Pellegrini can't get them out of the Groups, his tenure may be very short.

Cali Ed
08-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Jeff, Andy, I was thinking the same thing when I saw that draw. Ridiculous! UEFA needs to figure out a new coefficient rating somehow. A shame that anyone in Group F will miss out on group stages (well, maybe not Arsenal, unless they bring in some big names here at the end of the transfer window).

andyt
08-30-2013, 01:32 PM
The coefficient is calculated but taking the cumulative results over a 5 year period and 20% of the club's association coefficient. While that rewards consistency, it gives the same weight to results 5 years ago as last year. How many teams look the same now as they did 5 years ago? Fulham is a good example. They're ranked 45th, but 2/3 of their points were earned in the 09/10 season when they lost the Europa League final. They've played in Europe once since, losing in the Group stage of the 11/12 Europa League.

Here is a longer list of the coefficients than I posted the other day.

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2014.html

jeffbear
08-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Personally, I think they need to snip down the coefficient range to 3 years instead of 5 ... and they should weight success in Champions League and Europa League more heavily. After all, that is a lot more indicative of your ability to compete in those competitions than the relative strength of your domestic league.

andyt
08-30-2013, 02:50 PM
Personally, I think they need to snip down the coefficient range to 3 years instead of 5 ... and they should weight success in Champions League and Europa League more heavily. After all, that is a lot more indicative of your ability to compete in those competitions than the relative strength of your domestic league.

Either that or go to a graduated scale. For this year, teams would get 25% of their 09/10 points, 50% of 10/11 points and so on. It stil rewards consistency over a long term but gives more weight to more recent events. Since teams don't earn points for domestic competitions, the league coefficient should be eliminated altogether.

andyt
09-17-2013, 04:51 PM
First day of Group Stage:

Man U 4-2 Leverkusen
Real Sociedad 0-2 Shakhtar Donetsk
Copenhagen 1-1 Juventus
Galatasarary 1-6 Real Madrid - a hat trick for Ronaldo
Benfica 2-0 Anderlecht
Olympiakos 1-4 PSG
Bayern Munich 3-0 CSKA Moscow
Plzen 0-3 Man City

andyt
09-18-2013, 04:49 PM
Second day of Group Stage:

Napoli 2-1 Dortmund
Chelsea 1-2 Basel
Schalke 3-0 Steaua Bucuresti
Marseille 1-2 Arsenal
Atletico Madrid 3-1 Zenit
Vienna 0-1 Porto
AC Milan 2-0 Celtic
Barcelona 4-0 Ajax

Next round is 10/1-2

jeffbear
09-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Celtic really took a tough one in the face yesterday. They held nicely for 80+ minutes and even controlled the ball a lot at the San Siro ... which I'm not used to seeing. But eventually they cracked and let in 2 goals late. I see no way they get out of this group, but it would be nice to sneak ahead of either Ajax or AC Milan into a Europa League spot to keep the income taps flowing a little longer. Taking the odd point on the road is critical to that endeavor and they were THAT close to nipping a point in Milan. Oh well ... they host Ajax at home next and that one really is a must 3 points if they have any hopes of doing anything other than bringing up the rear in 4th place. No possible way they get points out of Barca this year after what they did to them last time around.

andyt
09-19-2013, 03:00 PM
No possible way they get points out of Barca this year after what they did to them last time around.

I know it's based on coefficients and all that rot, but whose shoes did Neil Lennon piss on to get Barca 2 years running?

jeffbear
09-19-2013, 04:51 PM
I know it's based on coefficients and all that rot, but whose shoes did Neil Lennon piss on to get Barca 2 years running?

Considering that he pretty much lives in the Scottish Premiere League's disciplinary hot water pot, I'd say virtually everybody's.

Seriously ... I loved Neil as a player and he's got the same fearsome demeanor on the touch line as a manager as he did patrolling the deep midfield ... but he needs to learn how to bite his tongue in the post game presser before the inevitable happens and he gets an EPL job.

andyt
09-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Tuesday's matches:

Basel v. Schalke
Steaua Bucuresti v. Chelsea
Arsenal v. Napoli
Dortmund v. Marseille
ZSP v. Austria Vienna
Porto v. Atletico Madrid
Ajax v. AC Milan
Celtic v. Barcelona

Wednesday's matches:

Bayer Leverkusen v. Real Sociedad
Shakhtar v. Man U
Juventus v. Galatasaray
Real Madrid v. Copenhagen
Anderlecht v. Olympiakos
PSG v. Benfica
CSKA Moscow v. Viktoria Plzen
Man City v. Bayern Munich

jeffbear
10-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Tuesday's results ....

Basel 0 Schalke 1
Steaua Bucuresti 0 Chelsea 4
Arsenal 2 Napoli 0
Dortmund 3 Marseille 0
ZSP 0 Austria Vienna 0
Porto 1 Atletico Madrid 2
Ajax 1 AC Milan 1
Celtic 0 Barcelona 1

Ugh ... Celtic undone by a stupider than stupid double foul by Skipper Scott Brown which correctly led to a red card. Down to 10, they stood no chance of holding on for the point, or sneaking away with 3. They held Barca to 1, defended well and created a couple of gold plated chances that they failed to convert. That's going to beat you every time against Barca ... you've GOT to convert and you cannot be limping around with 10 on the pitch.

Otherwise, big road results for Schalke, Chelsea, and Athletico and a big day for Ozil and Arsenal.

andyt
10-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Bayer Leverkusen 2-1 Real Sociedad
Shakhtar 1-1 Man U
Juventus 2-2 Galatasaray
Real Madrid 4-0 Copenhagen
Anderlecht 0-3 Olympiakos
PSG 3-0 Benfica
CSKA Moscow 3-2 Viktoria Plzen
Man City 1-3 Bayern Munich

Next round in 3 weeks

jeffbear
10-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Bayern just rolled Man City like a New York mugger ... that was in impressive display.

andyt
10-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Tuesday's matches:
Schalke v. Chelsea
Steaua Bucuresti v. Basel
Arsenal v. Borussia Dortmund
Marseille v. Napoli
Austria Vienna v. Atletico Madrid
Porto v. ZSP
AC Milan v. Barcelona
Celtic v. Ajax

Wednesday's matches:
Bayer Leverkusen v. Shakthar
Man U v. Real Sociedad
Galatasary v. Copenhagen
Real Madrid v. Juventus
Anderlecth v. PSG
Benfica v. Olympiakos
CSKA v. Man City
Bayern Munich v. Viktoria Plzen

jeffbear
10-22-2013, 10:10 AM
If my Celtic bhoys have any hope at all of squeaking out of the group stage again, they HAVE to get the win over Ajax today.

andyt
10-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Today's results:
Schalke 0-3 Chelsea
Steaua Bucuresti 1-1 Basel
Arsenal 1-2 Dortmund
Marseille 1-2 Napoli
Vienna 0-3 Atletico Madrid
Porto 0-1 ZSP
AC Milan 1-1 Barcelona
Celtic 2-1 Ajax

Celtic was the only home side to hold serve today. Group F is going to be a dogfight to the end. Arsenal, Dortmund and Napoli are all on 6 points with Marseille pointless.

jeffbear
10-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Good result for Celtic and they played a well balanced game. Now if they can nip a couple of points on the road ... prolly not.

andyt
10-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Today's results:
CSKA 1-2 Man City
Bayer Leverkusen 4-0 Shakhtar
Man U 1-0 Real Sociedad
Galatasary 3-1 Copenhagen
Real Madreid 2-1 Juventus
Anderlecht 0-5 PSG
Benfica 1-1 Olympiakos
Bayern Munich 5-0 Plzen

Man U got an own goal in the 2nd minute off Inigo Montoya...I mean Martinez. Aside from Kagawa and Chicharito, they had most of the first squad. RVP didn't dress. A couple of nice saves, a couple shots off the woodwork and a disallowed goal. PSG got a 4 spot from Ibrahimovic in their rout.

Halfway through, it looks like Man City will qualify for the knockout stage. It would be a real hoot if they drew Galatasaray. Bayern Munich and PSG have only allowed 1 goal, Real Madrid 2 goals in 3 matches.

jeffbear
10-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Speaking of PSG ... did anyone get eyes on the ROCKET that Ibra bombed in from about 30 yards for his third against Anderlecht? Thing of beauty it was. Power, anticipation, sheer gall ... Zlatan remains a beast.

andyt
11-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Tuesday's Matches:
Real Sociedad v. Man U
Shakhtar v. Leverkusen
Copenhagen v. Galatasaray
Juventus v. Real Madrid
Olympiakos v. Benfica
PSG v. Anderlecht
Man City v. CSKA Moscow
Plzen v. Bayern Munich

Wednesday's Matches:
Chelsea v. Schalke
Basel v. Bucuresti
Dortmund v. Arsenal
Napoli v. Marseille
ZSP v. Porto
Atletico Madrid v. Austria Wien
Ajax v. Celtic
Barcelona v. AC Milan

andyt
11-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Results:
Shakhtar 0-0 Leverkusen
Real Sociedad 0-0 Man U
Juventus 2-2 Real Madrid
Copenhagen 1-0 Galatasaray
PSG 1-1 Anderlecht
Olympiakos 1-0 Benfica
Man City 5-2 CSKA Moscow
Plzen 0-1 Bayern Munich
Basel 1-1 Bucuresti
Chelsea 3-0 Schalke
Dortmund 0-1 Arsenal
Napoli 3-2 Marseille
ZSP 1-1 Porto
Atletico Madrid 4-0 Austria Wien
Ajax 1-0 Celtic
Barcelona 3-1 AC Milan

Standings:
Group A
Man U 2-2-0 8 points
Leverkusen 2-1-1 7 points
Shakhtar 1-2-1 5 points
Real Sociedad 0-1-3 1 point

Anything is possible among the top 3. Man U really missed a chance to all but clinch a spot in the knockout round with their tie at Sociedad yesterday. RVP missed a penalty, Chicharito missed a tap in from inside the 6 and Fellaini was sent off.

Group B
Real Madrid 3-1-0 10 points
Galatasaray 1-1-2 4 points
Copenhagen 1-1-2 4 points
Juventus 0-3-1 3 points

Real Madrid has all but clinched. Had they not allowed Juventus to tie in the 65th minute yesterday they would have. The others are fighting for 2nd and 3rd.

Group C
PSG 3-1-0 10 points
Olympiakos 2-1-1 7 points
Benfica 1-1-2 4 points
Anderlecht 0-1-3 1 point

PSG is pretty well secure. Benfica is still not out of this. They're at Anderlecht and have PSG at home. Olympiakos has to travel to Paris for their next match.

Group D
Bayern Munich 4-0-0 12 points
Man City 3-0-1 9 points
CSKA Moscow 1-0-3 3 points
Plzen 0-0-4 0 points

Bayern clinches a spot in the knockout round. For all practical purposes, Man City has too, with an 11 goal lead over CSKA.

Group E
Chelsea 3-0-1 9 points
Schalke 2-0-2 6 points
Basel 1-2-1 5 points
Bucuresti 0-2-2 2 points

Chelsea has matches against Basel and Bucuresti left, so it would take an epic collapse for them not to advance. Schalke travels to Romania next; should they not win, Basel would likely need a win at Schalke to advance.

Group F
Arsenal 3-0-1 9 points +3 GD
Napoli 3-0-1 9 points +1 GD
Dortmund 2-0-2 6 points +2 GD
Marseille 0-0-4 0 points

Arsenal avenged its home defeat to Dortmund today, putting last year's finalists in jeopardy. Arsenal hosts Marseille next, Dortmund hosts Napoli. Arsenal must travel to Napoli for their last match, Dortmund is at Marseille. If Dortmund sweeps and Arsenal and Napoli win their home matches and lose on the road, all will be at 12 points.

Group G
Atletico Madrid 4-0-0 12 points
ZSP 1-2-1 5 points
Porto 1-1-2 4 points
Austria Wien 0-1-3 1 point

Atletico clinches a spot in the knockout round, Zenit and Porto are fighting for 2nd. Wien is making their first appearance in the Group Stage and likely won't advance to the Europa League.

Group H
Barcelona 3-1-0 10 points
AC Milan 1-2-1 5 points
Ajax 1-1-2 4 points
Celtic 1-0-3 3 points

Milan, Ajax and Celtic are all still alive for 2nd. Celtic hosts Milan while Ajax hosts Barca. The last matchup has Ajax at Milan and Celtic at Camp Nou.

jeffbear
11-08-2013, 10:54 AM
[
Group H
Barcelona 3-1-0 10 points
AC Milan 1-2-1 5 points
Ajax 1-1-2 4 points
Celtic 1-0-3 3 points

Milan, Ajax and Celtic are all still alive for 2nd. Celtic hosts Milan while Ajax hosts Barca. The last matchup has Ajax at Milan and Celtic at Camp Nou.

Naah. Celtic are done. They pretty much had to get points at Ajax this week to have any chance at all. No way they get anything out of that trip to Barca, and I'd be shocked to see anything better than a draw against Milan unless they are far too fond of Scottish beer.

andyt
11-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Today's results:
Zenit 1-1 Atletico Madrid
Basel 1-0 Chelsea
Steaua 0-0 Schalke
Arsenal 2-0 Marseille
Dortmund 3-1 Napoli
Porto 1-1 Vienna
Ajax 2-1 Barcelona
Celtic 0-3 AC Milan

Here is an article that covers all the permutations for all 8 groups through match day 5 for the teams who played today.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/championsleague/id/543?cc=5901

andyt
11-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Wednesday's results:
Bayern Leverkusen 0-5 Man U
Shaktar 4-0 Real Sociedad
Juventus 3-1 Copenhagen
Real Madrid 4-1 Galatasaray
Anderlecht 2-3 Benfica
PSG 2-1 Olympiakos
CSKA 1-3 Bayern Munich
Man City 4-2 Plzen

The link I posted has been updated with the complete match day 5 results.

andyt
12-09-2013, 11:20 PM
Last round of the Group Stage.

Tuesday:
Olympiakos v. Anderlecht
Real Sociedad v. Bayer Leverkusen
Man U v. Shakhtar
Viktoria Plzen v. CSKA
Copenhagen v. Real Madrid
Benfica v. PSG
Bayern Munich v. Man City
Galatasaray v. Juventus

Wednesday:
Barcelona v. Celtic
Schalke v. Basel
Chelsea v. Steaua Bucuresti
Marseille v. Borussia Dortmund
Napoli v. Arsenal
Atletico Madrid v. Porto
AC Milan v. Ajax
Vienna v. ZSP

andyt
12-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Today's results:

Group A:
Man U 1-0 Shakhtar
Real Sociedad 0-1 Bayer Leverkusen
Man U wins group, Bayer Leverkusen 2nd, Shakhtar to Europa League

Group B:
Copenhagen 0-2 Real Madrid
Galatasaray/Juventus suspended after 33 minutes due to hailstorm that made the pitch unplayable. The remaining time will be played on Wednesday starting at 1:00 CET.
Real Madrid wins group, Juventus advances with win or draw, Galatasaray must win to advance. Whichever team doesn't finish 2nd will go to Europa League

Group C:
Benfica 2-1 PSG
Olympiakos 3-1 Anderlecht
PSG wins group, Olympiakos 2nd on goal differential, Benfica to Europa League

Group D:
Bayern Munich 2-3 Man City
Viktoria Plzen 2-1 CSKA
Bayern Munich wins group on goal differential, Man City 2nd, Plzen to Europa League on goal differential

andyt
12-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Finishing up Group B from yesterday, Galatasaray beat Juventus 1-0 so they finish 2nd and Juventus goes to the Europa League

Today's results:

Group E:
Chelsea 1-0 Steaua
Schalke 2-0 Basel
Chelsea wins group, Schalke 2nd, Basel to Europa League

Group F:
Marseille 1-2 Borussia Dortmund
Napoli 2-0 Arsenal
Borussia Dortmund wins group, Arsenal 2nd, Napoli to Europa League. All 3 teams finished with 12 points, it came down to goal differential for all 3 spots

Group G:
Atletico Madrid 2-0 Porto
Vienna 4-1 ZSP
Atletico wins group, ZSP 2nd, Porto to Europa League on goal differential

Group H:
AC Milan 0-0 Ajax
Barcelona 6-1 Celtic
Barcelona wins group, AC Milan 2nd, Ajax to Europa League

So the group winners, and seeded teams are Man U, Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Borussia Dortmund, Atletico Madrid and Barcelona. The unseeded teams are Bayer Leverkusen, Galatasaray, Olympiakos, Man City, Schalke, Arsenal, ZSP and AC Milan. The Prem and Bundesliga get all 4 teams through, La Liga gets 3 of 4 with Real Sociedad dropping out. Ligue 1 only gets PSG, Serie A only gets AC Milan.

The draw for the knockout round is December 16.

jeffbear
12-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Celtic Football Club thanks UEFA for the huge check and will now slink away with our tails sufficiently between our legs.

See you next year.

andyt
12-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Here is the draw for the Round of 16

Bayer Leverkusen v. PSG 2/18 and 3/12
Man City v. Barcelona 2/18 and 3/12
AC Milan v. Atletico Madrid 2/19 and 3/11
Arsenal v. Bayern Munich 2/19 and 3/11
ZSP v. Borussia Dortmund 2/25 and 3/19
Olympiakos v. Man U 2/25 and 3/19
Galatasaray v. Chelsea 2/26 and 3/18
Schalke v. Real Madrid 2/26 and 3/18

VinatieriDefinesClutch
12-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Arsenal finally managed to avoid Barcelona this year.... I think they might rather play Barca.

jeffbear
12-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Arsenal finally managed to avoid Barcelona this year.... I think they might rather play Barca.

Yeah ... about the same really. Barca are really clicking right now, and Bayern is a doggone steamroller. I'd rather not see either one in the first knockout round. On the plus side of EPL sides, Chelsea did get a favorable matchup with Galatasaray. They look way better on paper than they do on the pitch.

andyt
12-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Yeah ... about the same really. Barca are really clicking right now, and Bayern is a doggone steamroller. I'd rather not see either one in the first knockout round. On the plus side of EPL sides, Chelsea did get a favorable matchup with Galatasaray. They look way better on paper than they do on the pitch.

Arsenal had Bayern in the knockout round last year too and lost on the away goals tiebreaker. Bayern won at the Emirates 3-1 but Arsenal won at Allianz 2-0.

andyt
02-18-2014, 07:33 PM
Today's results

Bayer Leverkusen 0-4 PSG
Man City 0-2 Barcelona

Tough tasks for the home teams today. Barça gets a penalty from Messi with Demichellis sent off in the 54th and the 2nd on 90 minutes. They dominated posses on 68-32. PSG got a goal in the 3rd minute and never looked back. Ibra had a brace.

andyt
02-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Today's results:

AC Milan 0-1 Atletico Madrid
Arsenal 0-2 Bayern Munich

The Arsenal match wasn't even that close. Szezcesny was sent off in the 37th minute for a foul on Robben but Alaba missed the penalty. Bayern took 26 shots and had a 79-21% possession advantage. Kroos scored on a screamer into the top right in the 54th and Mueller had a header from in close in the 88th.

So we're 4 matches in and the home teams not only haven't won, they haven't scored yet.

Cali Ed
02-25-2014, 04:35 PM
So here were today's results, with one big surprise

Zenit 2-4 Dortmund
A goal from Mkhitaryan (LFC Summer 2013 target who team wouldn't lay out enough £££ to get) and Reus in the first five minutes effectively end this match early, though Zenit did put up a fight in getting to within 2-1 and 3-2.

Olympiacos 2-0 Man Utd
Wow, this Red Devils team continues to look uninspired and eminently beatable in each and every match they play. First time Olympiacos (fair play to them) has won a game in the knockout round, and the first time ManU has lost to a Greek team in this competition.

jeffbear
02-25-2014, 04:38 PM
Olympiacos 2-0 Man Utd
Wow, this Red Devils team continues to look uninspired and eminently beatable in each and every match they play. First time Olympiacos (fair play to them) has won a game in the knockout round, and the first time ManU has lost to a Greek team in this competition.

Jeez ... at this point I'm wondering what Moyes is going through. Seems like everything has turned to crap for him in Manchester ... every single thing.

andyt
02-25-2014, 08:33 PM
Do we know if Moyes got on the plane back to England?

jeffbear
02-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Do we know if Moyes got on the plane back to England?

Good point. They might well have just made him hitch hike.

andyt
02-26-2014, 05:11 PM
Galatasaray 1-1 Chelsea
Schalke 1-6 Real Madrid

Galatasaray out possessed Chelsea 57-43 but needed a 2nd half goal to offset a Torres goal in the 9th minute. Chelsea had opportunities to put it away in the first half but couldn't. Real Madrid got 2 goals each from Benzema, Bale and Ronaldo. Schalke scored their goal at 90+1.

Through the first leg of the round of 16, Olympiakos is the only home team to win and Galatasaray is the only home team to tie. That doesn't bode well for many unseeded teams advancing to the quarterfinals. The 2nd leg matches are 3/11-12 and 3/18-19.

Cali Ed
02-26-2014, 11:30 PM
I split time between FS1 and FS2 for the first 20 minutes, until Bale scored the second. After that, I think I switched back a couple of times well after goals were scored. Gareth Bale, it seems, is really starting to take his game to that next level. What a goal!

As for Galatasaray/Chelsea, I have to say I'm surprised at the chances Chelsea bottled. Otherwise, they did a good job containing Drogba and outplayed them for long stretches. Should be a different story back at the Bridge. At this point, they may be the only English team to advance. Ugh.

andyt
02-27-2014, 08:08 AM
Ugh.

This. A thousand times this.

jeffbear
02-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Should be a different story back at the Bridge.

Galata is NEVER a fun road leg. That's a good one to get out of with a draw and with a road goal. Chelsea should be in pretty good shape.

andyt
02-28-2014, 03:45 PM
Man City manager Manual Pellegrini was suspended for 3 games by UEFA for comments made about the referee after their UCL match against Barcelona. One of the games was suspended for 2 years. He won't be on sidelines for the return leg at Camp Nou.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1731049/uefa-hits-manchester-city-manager-manuel-pellegrini-ban?cc=5901

andyt
03-12-2014, 09:08 AM
Yesterday's results:

Atletico Madrid 4-1 AC Milan - Atletico wins aggregate 5-1
Bayern Munich 1-1 Arsenal - Bayern wins aggregate 3-1

andyt
03-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Today's results:

Barcelona 2-1 Man City - Barcelona wins aggregate 4-1
PSG 2-1 Bayer Leverkusen - PSG wins aggregate 6-1

andyt
03-18-2014, 11:13 PM
Today's results:

Chelsea 2-0 Galatasaray - Chelsea wins aggregate 3-1
Real Madrid 3-1 Schalke - Real Madrid wins aggregate 9-2

andyt
03-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Today's results:

Man U 3-0 Olympiakos - Man U wins aggregate 3-2
Borussia Dortmund 1-2 ZSP - Dortmund wins aggregate 5-4

Man U gets a hat trick from RVP to reverse a 2-0 deficit after the first leg and join Chelsea in the quarter finals.

The draw is on Thursday. Here are the last 8, all of whom were seeded coming into the knockout round:

Barcelona
Man U
Atletico Madrid
PSG
Chelsea
Borussia Dortmund
Real Madrid
Bayern Munich

jeffbear
03-20-2014, 08:28 AM
Real Madrid 3-1 Schalke - Real Madrid wins aggregate 9-2

That's a really good Schalke side that RM just toyed with and threw away like a doughnut wrapper.

andyt
03-21-2014, 08:45 AM
Here is the quarterfinals draw:

Barcelona v. Atletico Madrid 4/1
Man U v. Bayern Munich 4/1
Real Madrid v. Borussia Dortmund 4/2
PSG v. Chelsea 4/2

The second legs will be the following weeks, 4/8-9

jeffbear
03-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Barca drew a team with which they are very familiar ... otherwise there's no real winners in this draw. Not that you'd expect many advantages when you get down the the final 8 clubs.

Cali Ed
03-21-2014, 12:13 PM
ManU drew the best team in Europe. HA-HA-HA!

The other three pairings are full of intrigue, for me. Atletico vs. Barca is a coin flip. I like Chelsea's chances, even though PSG may be the 2nd-best team in Europe right now. And Dortmund seems to handle this competition well. I can see Klopp plotting to stop Ronaldo right now. :)

Can not wait!

andyt
03-21-2014, 04:49 PM
To make it worse for Man U, RVP is out 4-6 weeks with a sprained knee. He'll miss both matches against Bayern and, if it's 6 weeks, will only get back for the last 2 BPL matches of the season, against Hull and Southampton.

VinatieriDefinesClutch
03-21-2014, 09:23 PM
Whatever deal RVP made with the devil for last season has clearly run out. I much rather he had made the deal for this year since the only team he plays for that I care about are the Dutch.

andyt
04-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Quarterfinals today:

Barcelona v. Atletico 2:45
Man U v. Bayern Munich 2:45

andyt
04-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Yesterdays results:

Barcelona 1-1 Atletico
Man U 1-1 Bayern

Today's schedule:

Real Madrid v. Borussia Dortmund
PSG v. Chelsea

jeffbear
04-02-2014, 04:47 PM
Today ...

PSG 3 Chelsea 1

Real Madrid 3 Dortmund 0

Two pretty decisive opening salvos there.

andyt
04-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Bayern Munich have denied press accreditation to The Daily Mirror and The Sun from covering the 2nd leg of their quarterfinals matchup against Man U. They complained that their coverage of Bastian Schweinsteiger was "...disrespectful, discriminatory and personally abusive...".

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20140403/bayern-munich-champions-league-schweinsteiger-newspapers.ap/?sct=obnetwork

andyt
04-07-2014, 01:48 PM
The Sun apologized so they have a credential now.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1777683/bayern-munich-accept-sun-apology?cc=5901

jeffbear
04-07-2014, 04:57 PM
The Sun apologized so they have a credential now.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1777683/bayern-munich-accept-sun-apology?cc=5901

Did they apologize for virtually every football related headline they've published over the last 15 years? Because ... they probably ought to.

Cali Ed
04-07-2014, 06:43 PM
They've never really apologized for Hillsborough (the one accompanying the infamous Wayne Rooney interview was a back-handed one) but they apologize for this?

smdh

andyt
04-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Second legs of the Quarterfinals today:

Dortmund v. Real Madrid - Real Madrid leads aggregate 3-0
Chelsea v. PSG - PSG leads aggregate 3-1

VinatieriDefinesClutch
04-08-2014, 10:39 AM
They've never really apologized for Hillsborough (the one accompanying the infamous Wayne Rooney interview was a back-handed one) but they apologize for this?

smdh

Did they ever try denying them credentials? It's not like they were planning on apologizing before that fact.

davemess
04-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Dunno why but I kinda fancy Chelsea to get through some how tonight.

Cali Ed
04-08-2014, 04:42 PM
I like Chelsea's chances, even though PSG may be the 2nd-best team in Europe right now. And Dortmund seems to handle this competition well. I can see Klopp plotting to stop Ronaldo right now. :)

Can not wait!

Dunno why but I kinda fancy Chelsea to get through some how tonight.

Finals tonight

Dortmund 2-0 Real Madrid (minus Ronaldo)
(Madrid advance on aggregate, 3-2)

Marco Reus was determined to help Dortmund pull it all back but in the end, three goals was one too many to pull back.

Chelsea 2-0 PSG
(Chelsea advance on away goals)

Hazard gets hurt and we get this result? Schurrle comes on for Hazard and gets Chelsea in the match by halftime, Ba comes in and nets the precious 2nd to help Chelsea advance. Mourinho does it again.

Marvelous football, both matches.

jeffbear
04-09-2014, 08:28 AM
Ba? Seriously?

Where the heck has that guy been since September? Talk about pulling one out of your butt. Chelsea just won't die in that tournament.

andyt
04-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Today's matches:

Atletico v. Barcelona - Aggregate tied 1-1
Bayern v. Man U - Aggregate tied 1-1

Looks like Rooney will be in the lineup for Man U. It's expected that he'll get a pain killing shot in his toe today.

Cali Ed
04-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Final results

Atletico 1-0 Barcelona
(Atletico advance on aggregate 2-1) - Atletico makes a fifth minute goal by Koke stand up, though they squandered enough chances to win the match comfortably. Neymar's late header flashed just wide, and Atletico are through for the first time ever to the semi-finals. Barca out of final four for first time in 7 years.

Bayern 3-1 ManU
(Bayern advance on aggregate 4-2)
Spectacular goal by Evra in the 57th minute, quickly offset by the equalizer, a great header by Mario Mandzukic. Then Muller guides one home, Robben gets a deflection on a low, hard shot and Bayern are through again.

Semi-final draw on Friday.

jeffbear
04-10-2014, 09:23 AM
The draw will be huge this time. Athletico's local knowledge of their Spanish rivals means a lot this time, methinks.

andyt
04-10-2014, 09:45 AM
The draw will be huge this time. Athletico's local knowledge of their Spanish rivals means a lot this time, methinks.

Atletico leads Real by 3 points and should be smarting after getting waxed by a 5-0 aggregate in the Copa del Rey semis.

jeffbear
04-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Exactly. I think Real Madrid would pretty much rather draw anybody else at this point.

davemess
04-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Athletico will be looking to avoid Chelsea if the story about Thibaut Courtois is true.

Seems there is a clause in his loan deal that doesn't exlude him from playing against Chelsea...... but does force Athletico to pay a massive bonus to Chelsea if he does.

andyt
04-10-2014, 02:39 PM
This article says he won't play because Atletico don't want to pay the €3 million they'd owe Chelsea.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10756906/Thibaut-Courtois-will-not-face-Chelsea-if-Atletico-Madrid-draw-Jose-Mourinhos-side-in-Champions-League-semis.html

andyt
04-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Semi Final Draw:

Atletico v. Chelsea 4/22 and 4/30
Real Madrid v. Bayern 4/23 and 4/29

So the drama over Courtois is delayed for a while.

Cali Ed
04-22-2014, 06:20 PM
First of the semi-finals fixtures, from the Vicente Calderón

Atletico 0-0 Chelsea

Oh man! That match set the game of football back thirty years! What a horrible exhibition by both sides, particularly Chelsea. This is why Manuel Pellegrini said what he said about hoping Liverpool win the league if not his side.

But again, the big news in this match, as in Monday's Prem League match, is the injuries. Peter Cech may have separated his shoulder after a nasty spill in the 15th minute, and John Terry appeared to have injured his foot in the 72nd minute. Both would be huge losses, particularly Cech, though I will credit Marc Schwarzer for his play coming on in relief of Cech.

andyt
04-22-2014, 07:22 PM
Mourinho confirmed the separated shoulder and said Cech is done for the season. I think Schwarzer got a start in one of their recent matched, so he wasn't coming in cold. TSO didn't have Hazard and didn't start Eto'o so I'm not sure where he thought the goals were going to come from. He also won't have Lampard or Mikel next week as they'll be serving yellow card suspensions.

jeffbear
04-23-2014, 08:54 AM
Pretty sure Mourinho was absolutely delighted with the 0-0 result .... form points aside. Even with all their woes, Chelsea gets Athletico back to Stamford Bridge for a winner take all in the CL semis, and start from scratch on aggregate. You'd have paid big money for that coming into the knockout rounds.

VinatieriDefinesClutch
04-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Torres actually didn't look bad, but he had no help whatsoever and every time he got the ball it was acres of space between him and his next line of teammates. I wish I hadn't watched this snoozefest.

jeffbear
04-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Torres actually didn't look bad, but he had no help whatsoever and every time he got the ball it was acres of space between him and his next line of teammates. I wish I hadn't watched this snoozefest.

So ... he looked like Rooney against Barca a couple of years ago in the Wembley Final?

Cali Ed
04-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Final from the Santiago Bernabéu

Real Madrid 1-0 Bayern Munich

Benzema's 19th minute goal holds up. Bayern never did figure out a way to break down Madrid in the final third despite a significant possession advantage (72-28) and twice as many shots. Thought Modric looked particularly effective, helping to clog up the Bayern midfield in the defensive third and looking dangerous on counter-attacks.

davemess
04-29-2014, 03:59 PM
Half Time Score

Bayern Munich 0 - 3 Real Madrid

Madrid lead 4 - 0 on agg.

WOW

andyt
04-29-2014, 04:53 PM
Final

Bayern Munich 0-4 Real Madrid. Madrid win aggregate 5-0. A brace each from Ramos and Ronaldo.

Chelsea need an outright win at the Bridge tomorrow to prevent a Madrid Derby in the final. The aggregate is 0-0, so an Atletico win or a draw that isn't 0-0 and they advance. Another scoreless draw goes to 30 minutes extra time and, if there are still no goals, penalties.

Cali Ed
04-29-2014, 06:30 PM
I still can't believe what I saw. That was a thorough dismantling. Has to be one of the top five dominant results in the last ten years. And good luck to either Atletico or Chelsea trying to slow down that team.

SO looking forward to the drama that is the final. It is sure to be full of intrigue because Real has made it. We are thus treated to either:
1) Another Madrid derby, with all the intensity and emotion those bring, or
2) Carlos Ancelotti vs. Jose Mourinho, both coaching against their former clubs.

Either way, Estádio da Luz in Lisbon will be rocking.

jeffbear
04-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Wow. Real Madrid is just embarrassing people now. Hard to see either of the other two semifinalists touching them at this point.

davemess
04-30-2014, 02:25 PM
Bit of an odd lineup for Chelsea tonight

23 Schwarzer
02 Ivanovic
03 Cole
04 David Luiz
24 Cahill
26 Terry
22 Willian
07 Ramires
09 Torres
17 Hazard
28 Azpilicueta

By my count that's 5 defenders, 6 if you count Luiz. They aren't going to switch to 5 at the back all of a sudden in this type of game.

My best guess ?

Ivanovic - Cahill - Terry - Azpilicueta

Willian - Ramires - Luiz - Cole

Hazard
Torres

Although I guess Azp and Cole could be swapped over.

VinatieriDefinesClutch
04-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Haven't watched it yet, just checked out the result in advance as I didn't want to have to suffer another version of the first leg. With that lineup, I'm glad we're having a Madrid derby for the final. How amazing would it be if Atletico did the double this year?

andyt
04-30-2014, 05:57 PM
Whatever it was, it didn't work.

Chelsea 1-3 Atletico Madrid.

With a 4 point lead over Barca and 2 matches against bottom half teams before closing the season at Barca, Atletico could be going for their first ever double.

Cali Ed
04-30-2014, 10:00 PM
Torres got that goal (and didn't celebrate, all credit to him) and I thought Jose had stolen another one. Then, Atletico struck. That was an impressive display.

The final is Atletico's 2nd-ever, and the first final to feature two sides from the same city. Will be alot of fun to watch.

jeffbear
05-01-2014, 08:38 AM
Looking like a Spanish year the same way last year was very, very German. I was surprised to see Chelsea buckle like that at home, but in retrospect I'm not sure why. Athletico have been carving out goals for fun all season long no matter the competition. I think we've ended up with a very fitting and interesting Final.

HNIM
05-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Yep - need to book that in my calendar so I don't get hijacked into something else.

davemess
05-25-2014, 02:49 AM
Real Madrid 4 - 1 (AET) Athletico Madrid

Crazy game, Real equalised with 90 seconds of injury time to go

andyt
05-25-2014, 07:43 AM
I turned it on about 30 seconds before Bale scored the winner. Looked like Atletico had no legs left.

davemess
05-25-2014, 08:11 AM
I turned it on about 30 seconds before Bale scored the winner. Looked like Atletico had no legs left.

That late equaliser just knocked the stuffing out of them, they never recovered.

HNIM
05-27-2014, 03:08 PM
My DVR ran out just before Bale scored. I fully expected him to do that, though, he's been on that kind of roll the last couple of years. I was surprised it wasn't him in stoppage.