PDA

View Full Version : Another Health/Diet Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Habspatrol
01-08-2014, 02:10 PM
I have a full time job, I watch every Hab game and almost every Pens game with the wife unless they are playing at the same time of course. Then we watch on different TVs (thank you Habsy for the projector so I can watch on 120" of beauty.) Plus we watch most new popular movies and a lot of TV shows.

This may explain why my ass is so fat. Down 8 lbs in the first week of 2014 though. My goal is 80 lbs this year.

blkngldbabe
01-08-2014, 09:11 PM
I can help with that....

Habspatrol
01-08-2014, 09:28 PM
I can help with that....

From 2000 miles away?

I'm going with a whole new approach this time. I usually go all out and lose like 25 pounds in the first 2 weeks. I eat way less and only eat healthy food and I am on the treadmill for an hour a day sweating my ass off. After 2 weeks to a month of that the weight stops coming off so quickly and I get discouraged. Next thing you know I bounce all the way back and eat like I'm making up for lost time. It just never works for me. It's obviously my fault... I'm a food addict.

This time I'm easing into it. Doing about a half hour on the treadmill every other day or so to start. I've started eating probably about 60% of what I was eating, but I'm not really cutting out the "bad foods" other than sugary foods and other snacks.We've also incorporated salads with most meals. I've started only drinking water, black coffee and tea instead of mostly diet pop.

So far it's 8 lbs in a week and I'm not really craving anything like usual. Seems a lot more sustainable and I plan to slowly cut out some of the less healthy stuff.

Montana
01-09-2014, 01:13 AM
Carbs are the real bitch....you severely trim those bad boys down and the pounds will melt away.

mbow30
01-09-2014, 06:44 AM
This time I'm easing into it. Doing about a half hour on the treadmill every other day or so to start. I've started eating probably about 60% of what I was eating, but I'm not really cutting out the "bad foods" other than sugary foods and other snacks.We've also incorporated salads with most meals. I've started only drinking water, black coffee and tea instead of mostly diet pop.

that's fine. a friend of mine lost about 80 pounds by doing just that. not depriving himself of anything and just cutting everything that he otherwise woudl have eaten i nhalf.

mbow30
01-09-2014, 06:45 AM
other than that -- yes, stray from sugar and carbs (which basically turn to sugar when your body processes them).

blkngldbabe
01-09-2014, 06:58 AM
And yes from this far.

Habspatrol
01-09-2014, 07:46 AM
that's fine. a friend of mine lost about 80 pounds by doing just that. not depriving himself of anything and just cutting everything that he otherwise woudl have eaten i nhalf.

That's what I figured I could do. We had pizza the other day... normally I'd stuff myself with 4 or 5 big pieces. This time I had a nice salad first then had 2 smaller pieces. I enjoyed the pizza and also enjoyed the salad.

I don't want to crave food all the time, and so far this route seems far more sustainable.

Habspatrol
01-09-2014, 07:48 AM
Carbs are the real bitch....you severely trim those bad boys down and the pounds will melt away.

Yeah I have started cutting them a bit, but I still have a long ways to go. I'll be looking to cut out a bunch of carbs when I reach my first plateau.

Habspatrol
01-09-2014, 07:49 AM
And yes from this far.

If I start to struggle, instead of just giving up this time I'll PM you and see what we can do.

PKForce81
01-09-2014, 08:30 AM
I am trying to do the opposite HP(have't been able to gain for a long time) and yea it's hard to stick to it. It helps getting into a routine that you like. I count everything so i'm quite picky..Figure out what your bmr is and depending on your level of activity you'll know how many calories you need daily. I would make a schedule of foods you eat or like to eat, pick a good balance(stay away from high salt, high sugar and try to reduce overall cals by 500-600(that way you'll lose roughly a lb per week)..If you can stick to that it'll be much easier instead of trying to force yourself to drop more in such a short time.

Leafovic
01-09-2014, 08:49 AM
The best thing is to really eat everything but control how much you eat. Weight is all about calories in/calories out. The worst thing is to feel guilty about eating certain things. Now being healthy is a bit different, for that, you need to cut down on the salt, sugar, and watch the fat content a bit. Skinnier people are generally healthier though because they tend to eat smaller portions if they are eating unhealthy. In fact, I've seen some research that suggests people that eat less calories tend to live longer.

I get you on the craving stuff HP. I am a normal weight but if I ate how much I could eat, I'd easily be an extra 20-30pounds. I always have an appetite, and if i eat sugary stuff especially, it just makes me more hungry.

I find a lot of people who are overweight do three things:
a) huge portions (overeating)
b) they don't consider drinks as something to worry about (oh ill piss it out)
c) they try to add healthy eating on top of their overeating (only adding more calories) and adding on to their weight. Yes, fruit is healthy, so are salads, and so is brown rice, but those things have calories too. (more than you think as well)

All that stuff adds up. I know people who have so much coffee, juice, beer, soda, milk, per day that they could easily have another full meal if they skipped on these drinks. Drink water. It's healthy. And if you drink something, drink half a glass, it has the same impact.

Eat slowly, drink slowly. Often our eyes are hungry and if we just slow down and enjoy the taste of what we eat/drink, you will come away saying "that was enough".

Leafyblue
01-09-2014, 09:07 AM
If you track your calorie intake, it's a lot easier to shed pounds. I used Lose It a few years ago. Worked like a charm. You can log entries with your computer or your smart phone. It sends you a daily email to show your totals so you can track your progress. MyFitnessPal is good too..it has a database of foods you buy in Canada( the whole Timmy's Menu in fact). After a week or so of logging in, you'll find it easy to stay under your calorie budget. Sugar and Bread. Cut them out and the weight falls off.

corksens
01-09-2014, 09:16 AM
I'm definitely an over-eater. Have a big appetite. But I must have good genes because despite that and no actual exercise regime (play hockey, golf, be active, but not gym rat stuff) I've managed to stay trim.

But after my ankle break I put on about 10 pounds more than I want to be (sitting at 186 - should be 175). I carry all my weight in alittle gut and in my face.

What's the best way for a guy like me to lose that targeted 10 pounds quickly?

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
01-09-2014, 09:34 AM
I'm definitely an over-eater. Have a big appetite. But I must have good genes because despite that and no actual exercise regime (play hockey, golf, be active, but not gym rat stuff) I've managed to stay trim.

But after my ankle break I put on about 10 pounds more than I want to be (sitting at 186 - should be 175). I carry all my weight in alittle gut and in my face.

What's the best way for a guy like me to lose that targeted 10 pounds quickly?

Take your two fingers and shove them down your throat after eating. The rest will take care of its self.

corksens
01-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the tip, houseplant.

BG
01-09-2014, 10:10 AM
The biggest culprit for me was always eating out at lunch-time. I never used to eat breakfast, so was super hungry by lunch-time and would gorge at Wendy's or A&W. I've taken to eating a little breakfast and bringing a morning snack to work. I also pack a lunch, or plan to be home for lunch. This has decreased my junkfood intake greatly and probably saved me some money over the last year.

At dinner time, use a lunch/sandwich plate to reduce portion sizes.

MikeRofalis
01-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Houseplant?

JackBurton
01-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Eating a good breakfast is really important to losing weight. Missing breakfast makes you gain weight.

Hoss
01-09-2014, 10:30 AM
I'm at a decent weight I feel... I have not been able to drop more than 10 in the last 15 years... but I am trying to keep my cholesterol in check. I have that genetic problem.. Mom's been on lipitor/crestor for over 40 years. My prob is my body doesn't make the HDL stuff very well, so my ratio is off.

it was slightly high in my last physical, so I wan't to redo it in about 4 months and see if my diet can change. Lots of fiber, good breakfasts every morning are my first steps. I have also stopped drinking beer daily. Save it for the weekend. I will actually try to not even have any this weekend, as I've stopped drinking since New Year's eve.

zeke
01-09-2014, 10:50 AM
If you have to wait until a special date like New Year's to start a resolution, it's not gonna work.

It means you don't really want to quit/change, but just feel you have to.

When you're ready to quit/change, you just do it, you don't wait for a date to start.

corksens
01-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Nothing wrong with having beers on occasion.

But daily beers and weekend binges (12 in a night) is what kills you.

JaysCyYoung
01-09-2014, 11:08 AM
If you have to wait until a special date like New Year's to start a resolution, it's not gonna work.

When you're ready to quit/change, you just do it, you don't wait for a date to start.

Couldn't agree more. People use New Year's as a crutch when the reality is that if you truly want to make important lifestyle changes, you can do so at any time.

Waiting until a specific date just gives you an excuse for inaction.

BG
01-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Setting a future date to make changes only serves to make it tougher, as most people will immediately crave things even more (anticipating the change) leading up to the start date.

zeke
01-09-2014, 11:26 AM
It's amazing how easy changing can be when you're actually ready to do it. Quit smoking 9 months ago and haven't touched one since. Even with friends still smoking all the time it hasn't been tough at all.

I'm starting to feel the want for some sort of exercise routine as well, I think.

Hoss
01-09-2014, 11:29 AM

I wasn't using new years as a resolution date... I just had my last physical in December and on New Years I drank alot, and the next day was sick (not so much from the booze but that stomach flu that was going around) and so I said that will be the change to my nightly drinking (I would have a king can every night before, now I am saving to have them on the weekends only) That's why new years came in.. it was just the timing of my physical results, and the stomach flu. Just like you decided to quit smoking 9 months ago.... that was your timing. How dare you schedule your quitting of smoking for Spring... that's the time of change and if you decided then, then you're just going with the seasons man...

corksens
01-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Exercise is funny.

I hate - HATE - "working out". Hamster wheel, lifting weights? No thanks.

But in the summer I love biking, and if someone asked me to play hockey every day I would jump at the opportunity. I love being active, but I hate working out.

Habspatrol
01-09-2014, 11:45 AM
The best thing is to really eat everything but control how much you eat. Weight is all about calories in/calories out. The worst thing is to feel guilty about eating certain things. Now being healthy is a bit different, for that, you need to cut down on the salt, sugar, and watch the fat content a bit. Skinnier people are generally healthier though because they tend to eat smaller portions if they are eating unhealthy. In fact, I've seen some research that suggests people that eat less calories tend to live longer.

I get you on the craving stuff HP. I am a normal weight but if I ate how much I could eat, I'd easily be an extra 20-30pounds. I always have an appetite, and if i eat sugary stuff especially, it just makes me more hungry.

I find a lot of people who are overweight do three things:
a) huge portions (overeating)
b) they don't consider drinks as something to worry about (oh ill piss it out)
c) they try to add healthy eating on top of their overeating (only adding more calories) and adding on to their weight. Yes, fruit is healthy, so are salads, and so is brown rice, but those things have calories too. (more than you think as well)

All that stuff adds up. I know people who have so much coffee, juice, beer, soda, milk, per day that they could easily have another full meal if they skipped on these drinks. Drink water. It's healthy. And if you drink something, drink half a glass, it has the same impact.

Eat slowly, drink slowly. Often our eyes are hungry and if we just slow down and enjoy the taste of what we eat/drink, you will come away saying "that was enough".

Yeah I normally drink a fair bit of diet pop and coffee with creamer.

I know my biggest problem is overeating. That's my biggest focus here is portion control and adding some exercise to my routine.

zeke
01-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Just cut out the soda already. That shit is straight up poison. And if you still eat potato chips, ditch those two. Pop + Chips IMO are the biggest reason why north america is so obese.

corksens
01-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Just cut out the soda already. That shit is straight up poison. And if you still eat potato chips, ditch those two. Pop + Chips IMO are the biggest reason why north america is so obese.And amazing.

Habspatrol
01-09-2014, 11:51 AM
I am trying to do the opposite HP(have't been able to gain for a long time) and yea it's hard to stick to it. It helps getting into a routine that you like. I count everything so i'm quite picky..Figure out what your bmr is and depending on your level of activity you'll know how many calories you need daily. I would make a schedule of foods you eat or like to eat, pick a good balance(stay away from high salt, high sugar and try to reduce overall cals by 500-600(that way you'll lose roughly a lb per week)..If you can stick to that it'll be much easier instead of trying to force yourself to drop more in such a short time.

If you track your calorie intake, it's a lot easier to shed pounds. I used Lose It a few years ago. Worked like a charm. You can log entries with your computer or your smart phone. It sends you a daily email to show your totals so you can track your progress. MyFitnessPal is good too..it has a database of foods you buy in Canada( the whole Timmy's Menu in fact). After a week or so of logging in, you'll find it easy to stay under your calorie budget. Sugar and Bread. Cut them out and the weight falls off.

That's going to be step 2 of this journey. I've done stuff like that before and then slingshot back to my old routine. I'm hoping that this time will be easier if I ease into it.

Habspatrol
01-09-2014, 12:02 PM

That's maybe true to an extent. No doubt you're better off just making the change when you're really ready. However, I quit smoking 7 years ago on New Years Day and haven't had a single puff since.

As for the eating thing I chose New Years more for the timing rather than the actual day. The Christmas season is notorious for food and overeating. I know myself and I know that I would have had a real hard time trying to change everything at that time of the year. So rather than torture myself for a week while everyone filled their faces around me I decided to just wait till after the holidays and start fresh.

I'm hoping this different approach leads to long term success.

JohnnyHolmes
01-09-2014, 12:04 PM

I do agree with you to an extent, but at the same time there is nothing wrong with setting a goal date like that.

The holiday season has to be the single biggest killer of diet and working out routines. So much food, so many parties, everyone is so busy. January 1st or 2nd is a natural starting point.

This is why gyms are almost unnavigable for the first few weeks of January, but usually they die down after people go back to normal.

And Cork, the last 10 pounds are always the hardest to lose. You pretty much have to be perfect with your diet and routine, especially when you get north of 35.

If you're a guy that likes to drink beer and eat chicken wings, sometimes you're lucky to break even.

corksens
01-09-2014, 12:07 PM
It's not even the "last" 10 pounds though. It's the "first" as well.

I am 10 (maybe 15 pounds) over an ideal weight - I'm 6' feet tall.

I just want to lose the garbage.

Hoss
01-09-2014, 12:08 PM
I am glad I ditched pop years ago.... I used to do the occasional diet coke (Mcdonalds fountain pop was a particular weakness) but since I've had children, I haven't touched the stuff. Maybe once a month, maybe. Just don't have it in your house.

I have a buddy whose wife is addicted... always drinks regular coke.. and gives the crap to her kids. guh.. My in laws bring it with them whenever we have a family get together because, god forbid I don't off you a pop as you walk in. All of these people share the same thing... a large, hard balloon stomach. Not fat, but distended and bullet like. It's facking gross.

blkngldbabe
01-09-2014, 12:10 PM
It's amazing how easy changing can be when you're actually ready to do it. Quit smoking 9 months ago and haven't touched one since. Even with friends still smoking all the time it hasn't been tough at all.

I'm starting to feel the want for some sort of exercise routine as well, I think.
Any of you who don't want to goto a gym, pm me and I'll give you some good options to get going on a fitness and nutritional fresh start.

JaysCyYoung
01-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Cut out coffee and pop and the pounds will melt off.

Habspatrol

Congrats man. Best thing I ever did was quit smoking. Once I realized that I had to decide I was never taking another puff it wasn't that tough.
My biggest mistake before that was after a couple weeks thinking that I could have a cigarette and then go back to not smoking. If you just decide to never smoke again it's far easier.

I haven't even had a craving in probably 6 years. It's like I never did smoke.

blkngldbabe
Don't diet. Eat clean. Cut out processed sugars to start. There are plenty of alternatives that are healthier. Then start to remove processed foods from your eating habits. It's amazing how quickly you'll notice more energy and feeling healthier. Doesn't mean you have to have tiny portions or eat like a rabbt either.

Habspatrol

Congrats man. Best thing I ever did was quit smoking. Once I realized that I had to decide I was never taking another puff it wasn't that tough.
My biggest mistake before that was after a couple weeks thinking that I could have a cigarette and then go back to not smoking. If you just decide to never smoke again it's far easier.

I haven't even had a craving in probably 6 years. It's like I never did smoke.

Habspatrol
01-09-2014, 12:16 PM
Just cut out the soda already. That shit is straight up poison. And if you still eat potato chips, ditch those two. Pop + Chips IMO are the biggest reason why north america is so obese.
Yeah pop is gone and so are all unhealthy snacks.

I'll probably still have a little popcorn here and there... but a much smaller portion than I used to have.

Habspatrol
01-09-2014, 12:19 PM
Cut out coffee and pop and the pounds will melt off.

Have I been misled or is black coffee not pretty good for you and doesn't hurt with weight loss?

Habspatrol
01-09-2014, 12:22 PM
Don't diet. Eat clean. Cut out processed sugars to start. There are plenty of alternatives that are healthier. Then start to remove processed foods from your eating habits. It's amazing how quickly you'll notice more energy and feeling healthier. Doesn't mean you have to have tiny portions or eat like a rabbt either.

I'll definitely be contacting you in the next few weeks. I will need some healthy alternatives.

hockeylover
01-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Weakness is carbs. Bread and pasta. Never really worry too much about the number just how I feel confidence-wise. I could probably lose about 15 lbs or so. I tend to overeat comfort foods in the winter. Usually cut out carbs almost entirely when I'm dieting.

UWHabs
01-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Hate the gym, but I definitely should do something. Gonna sign up for a couple sports to stay somewhat busy. Hopefully the weather gets warmer and I can at least get back out skating every now and then as well.

My goal this year is to cut back on junk, and cut back on carbs. I'm pretty good avoiding pop, but I drink a lot of milk and juice, which I know aren't always the best, and I snack too much at work. I'm only 10-15 lbs over my ideal weight, so I wouldn't call myself fat, but a few of my shirts are starting to not fit me anymore.

domi4president
01-09-2014, 12:48 PM

Agreed 100%. On a side note it's hilariously easy to spot the resolutioners, guys wearing brand new Under Armour/Adidas/Nike stuff with matching shoes while looking like the blob.

JaysCyYoung
01-09-2014, 12:51 PM
They were there in full force last night. Will have to go progressively later until the end of the month in order to avoid them.

JohnnyHolmes
01-09-2014, 12:59 PM
What is wrong with coffee? It has thermogenic and diuretic properties.

Unless you load it up with a ton of cream and sugar, you're not getting fat from coffee.

Habspatrol
01-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Maybe that's what he meant... if you use cream and sugar. Black coffee is pretty good for you as far as I know.

Leafovic
01-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Yeah, coffee is only bad if you load it up with tons of sugar/milk. Otherwise, the really bad coffee are the special drinks in places like starbucks. Those things can have at least 300 calories per drink. And even their sweets there are very caloric. Most of those treats, many of them look quite small are at least 350-400 calories, sometimes up to 700. Very deceptive. So if you had a special drink and some sweet, you are looking at 800-1000 calories. To use me as an example, ideally, to maintain my weight, i should be about 1800-2000 per day.

MindzEye
01-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Have I been misled or is black coffee not pretty good for you and doesn't hurt with weight loss?

Black coffee is generally excellent for you. It's the sugar and to a lesser extent the cream that does the damage.

JohnnyHolmes
01-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Counting calories though...what's the point.

Seems like an exercise in futility. You can't ever know exactly how much is in your food, especially if you don't make it yourself. Just use common sense. A half caf double sweet frappe with whipped cream on it is probably on the "no" list...

MindzEye
01-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Weakness is carbs. Bread and pasta. Never really worry too much about the number just how I feel confidence-wise. I could probably lose about 15 lbs or so. I tend to overeat comfort foods in the winter. Usually cut out carbs almost entirely when I'm dieting.

Carbs are an addition. Once you can get through a week without them, you stop craving them. With that said, I just had a major carb collapse over christmas. Between that and a gym related shoulder injury (getting old is a bitch), started to puff back up a bit.

corksens
01-09-2014, 01:42 PM

Seems like an exercise in futility. You can't ever know exactly how much is in your food, especially if you don't make it yourself. Just use common sense. A half caf double sweet frappe with whipped cream on it is probably on the "no" list...Most places list the entire fat/calorie count of their menu items...including drinks.

Doing it at home is far more time consuming.

MindzEye
01-09-2014, 01:44 PM

Seems like an exercise in futility. You can't ever know exactly how much is in your food, especially if you don't make it yourself. Just use common sense. A half caf double sweet frappe with whipped cream on it is probably on the "no" list...

It can be challenging, absolutely. I think the biggest thing to know is roughly what your daily goal for calories are, and what the calorie counts are in the foods that you eat regularly. As long as you have a pretty good idea where your calorie count is during any random point of the day, you're probably doing alright.

JohnnyHolmes
01-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Most places list the entire fat/calorie count of their menu items...including drinks.

Doing it at home is far more time consuming.

Yeah I am aware, but I still wouldn't trust the accuracy of it, especially when they bullshit you with the "servings" count.

Artnes
01-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Understand the type of carb and when they go in your system is a lot more beneficial then cutting them out.

Proper nutrition is 90% of the battle.

Anyone looking to loose weight pick up these books off Itunes or Kindle or directly from his website.

Its gives you the fundamentals of how to properly lose lbs and keep it off.
'
http://thedolcedietlivinglean.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/mike-dolce-books.png

corksens
01-09-2014, 01:50 PM
What is the conventional wisdom behind quinoa? I love the stuff.

Artnes
01-09-2014, 01:54 PM
High amino acid content, high fiber, protein and low on the glycemic index

zeke
01-09-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm never going to without Pasta and crusty italian bread. not gonna happen.

zeke
and hey, did you know that heartburn/acid reflux is actually caused by too little acid, not too much?

take a tbsp of vinegar instead of an antacid. it'll work.

corksens
High amino acid content, high fiber, protein and low on the glycemic indexIt has considerable carbs though, no?

Or is this one of those instances where its an okay carb.

Leafyblue
01-09-2014, 01:59 PM
I had Quinoa pasta the other day.. it was surprisingly good.

Artnes
01-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Its a good carb much like a vegetable. The low glycemic index rating basically means it doesnt elevate your blood sugar causing it to crash and make you crave more simple carbs or refined sugars

Habspatrol
01-09-2014, 02:08 PM

I'm sure if you really want to lose as much weight as possible calorie counting is very helpful... and I think most people cook most of their own meals.

I don't know if I'll ever be a big calorie counter though. I will do like you say, use common sense.

Habspatrol
01-09-2014, 02:10 PM
I had Quinoa pasta the other day.. it was surprisingly good.

Haven't tried Quinoa pasta but I really like Quinoa.

hockeylover
01-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Calorie counted the last time I was on a diet. You have to make all your own food though. Worked pretty damn well.

hockeylover
01-09-2014, 02:48 PM
Understand the type of carb and when they go in your system is a lot more beneficial then cutting them out.

I tend to overindulge on carbs. It's easier for me to cut it down almost completely if I'm trying to cut weight.

corksens
01-09-2014, 03:01 PM
HL, what are the chances we both need to lose about 10 pounds.

If there was only some kind of joint activity we could do that would shed the weight. I'll get back you when I think of something.

corksens
01-09-2014, 03:01 PM
ROWING.

Two person rowing.

It was on the tip of my tongue the entire time.

Habspatrol
01-09-2014, 03:03 PM
You still with that chick that wouldn't let you watch the Sens playoff games Corky?

corksens
01-09-2014, 03:05 PM
You still with that chick that wouldn't let you watch the Sens playoff games Corky?She's a monster.

Habspatrol
01-09-2014, 03:08 PM
So no? Just curious... haven't seen any mention of her lately.

corksens
01-09-2014, 03:09 PM
So no? Just curious... haven't seen any mention of her lately.We're still very happily together. I was just joking because of the hilariously stupid phrasing of your question.

corksens
01-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Us at a wedding a few months back...

Habspatrol
01-09-2014, 03:14 PM
We're still very happily together. I was just joking because of the hilarious phrasing of your question.

FYP

Habspatrol
01-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Us at a wedding a few months back...

Eesh... you do need to drop a few.

Seriously, congrats. Sounds like things are going well.

corksens
01-09-2014, 03:19 PM
That was only a few months after the break. I really put on the weight when I got back to 'normal living' (ie, beers, dinners, ect) but still couldn't be more active than physio and walking on a treadmill.

But thanks - things are super.

hockeylover
01-09-2014, 03:33 PM
HL, what are the chances we both need to lose about 10 pounds.

If there was only some kind of joint activity we could do that would shed the weight. I'll get back you when I think of something.

That's my other weight loss secret but I didn't want other people to be sad they didn't get to... row that often.

BeLeafer
01-09-2014, 03:38 PM
I put on some weight after getting a car (stopped regular cycling for 5 years and much less walking) and then quitting smoking. I'm built like a rugby player and so don't show weight much when I put it on, even though I had put on a ton at one point (tipped the scales at 260 about a year ago).

I went on a ketosis diet very little carb (40-60 g/day), NO sugar (refined or otherwise) and eat a lot more fat to replace much of the carbs. Lost 35 lbs within 6 months and then hit a plateau. I then ramped up my exercise with regular cycling and some yoga during the summer and then rowing machine/free weights/bike on rollers/yoga this fall/winter. Starting alpine skiing again for the first time in 20 years. I've lost another 15 since the summer and should be to my healthy weight (185-190) by the spring.

I never had to watch my diet until I was in my early 40s. I clearly have lost my ability to metabolize carbs like I use to when I was younger. I'll never go back to a carb heavy diet.

If you do ketosis properly, it will work. You have to be patient (it usually takes 6-8 weeks to start working fully). Best thing lots of prime rib roast. Worst thing no beer.

Habspatrol
01-09-2014, 04:15 PM
That's my other weight loss secret but I didn't want other people to be sad they didn't get to... row that often.

Any tips on how to row properly? Any favorite techniques?

MindzEye
01-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Keto protip:

Dry wines man. Red or white doesn't matter as long as it's fairly dry.

BeLeafer
01-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Keto protip:

Dry wines man. Red or white doesn't matter as long as it's fairly dry.

I have no idea how to determine without opening a bottle whether it's dry or not. I've been drinking little but vodka soda and bourbon/cognac for alcohol consumption. I love wine but the last time I had three glasses I woke up with a splitting headache ... lcbo does not post the number.

lecoqsportif
01-09-2014, 05:13 PM
If you really want to lose weight, you have to limit or cut out alcohol. 7 calories per gram is high, it's just a bit better than pop.

I drink moderately - generally only on weekend evenings. But there's a cost.

BeLeafer
01-09-2014, 05:28 PM
If you really want to lose weight, you have to limit or cut out alcohol. 7 calories per gram is high, it's just a bit better than pop.

I drink moderately - generally only on weekend evenings. But there's a cost.

You don't need to worry about calories on ketosis. The issue is sugar consumption. Although metabolizing alcohol is similar to sugar ... so, you do need to limit it to some extent on ketosis (not an issue ... rarely have more than 2 or 3 drinks).

lecoqsportif
01-09-2014, 05:32 PM
I'm not much one for diets, etc. but I read Mark Bittman's VB6 (Vegan Before 6:00 PM) book http://www.amazon.ca/VB6-Before-Weight-Restore-Health/dp/0385344740. Now, I'll never be vegan, but the concept is interesting and I think the "flexitarian" diet or a quasi attempt at "vegetarian before 6" is reasonable.

So I focussing on a few things: healthy breakfasts and lunches. And reduce/change evening snacks. It requires some effort (and time) and discipline, including proper sleep habits. A long day often means 4 meals...

After 6 I eat fookin' steaks and pizza.

Montana
01-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Keto + IF >>>>

TimHorton
01-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Keto >

Heroin >

Artnes
01-09-2014, 05:35 PM
I tend to overindulge on carbs. It's easier for me to cut it down almost completely if I'm trying to cut weight.

I agree limiting or cutting carbs out completely is a good fast track to losing weight quickly however taking the time to carb type and timing is more helpful for keeping the weight off long term

People have a tendency to fall off the wagon as they cant maintain a lower carb diet for a lengthily period of time.

If you can manage to figure out a proper nutrition plan that is more suited to your daily life style you will lose the excess weight and keep it off.

Artnes
01-09-2014, 05:37 PM
Or you can say **** it all and do a stack of anavar and test and get ripped to shit in 6 weeks

JohnnyHolmes
01-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Probably because it makes you feel weak and ready to tear people's heads off at the same time.

*cutting carbs.

lecoqsportif
01-09-2014, 05:43 PM
I agree limiting or cutting carbs out completely is a good fast track to losing weight quickly however taking the time to carb type and timing is more helpful for keeping the weight off long term

People have a tendency to fall off the wagon as they cant maintain a lower carb diet for a lengthily period of time.

If you can manage to figure out a proper nutrition plan that is more suited to your daily life style you will lose the excess weight and keep it off.

That's kinda Bittman's point. The change has to be permanent. Easier said than done, especially if one likes chips. *sigh*

zeke
01-09-2014, 06:20 PM
I'm just happy my body's so tight i don't need to lose any weight.

MindzEye
01-09-2014, 06:26 PM
I have no idea how to determine without opening a bottle whether it's dry or not. I've been drinking little but vodka soda and bourbon/cognac for alcohol consumption. I love wine but the last time I had three glasses I woke up with a splitting headache ... lcbo does not post the number.

By how sweet a win it is. Merlot's, Malbec's, etc are fine. Avoid Shiraz.

For white's, Sauvignon is probably your best bet. Stick to those 3 and you're looking at about a gram of carbs for every ounce of wine. So, a 6 oz glass is 6 grams of carbs. Having a few laughs with the Mrs and a few buddies and you drown an entire bottle and you're really only into ~25 grams of carbs. That alone would knock you out of ketosis for the next 3-4 hours no problem but by the time you woke up and the metabolism got fired up, you'd be fine.

MindzEye
01-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Or you can say **** it all and do a stack of anavar and test and get ripped to shit in 6 weeks

I've never gone down this road, but yeah, all the research I've done basically suggests that juice isn't remotely as damaging as is publicly believed as long as you cycle properly and do your post cycle treatment.

Wayward DP
01-09-2014, 06:29 PM
I dunno, I think 'diets' are pretty dumb. Eat healthy, exercise, voila.

I make almost all my own food, try to get some exercise daily, stay in really good shape. I also receive an organic fruit and vegetable box each week, which sort of forces my hand on the healthy eating side. Usually end up making some combination of two of a salad/stew/roast/soup for the week, usually run 20-30k, climb for 4-6 hours, with a sprinkling of hockey and volleyball in there. Helps that my bike is my primary method of transportation, recognize not everyone can do that.

domi4president
01-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Honestly, if I was getting into my late 30s, I'd seriously look into TRT/HGH therapy from a licensed physician. I know some guys getting into middle age who look better than most 20 year old gym rats from 100% doctor approved sauce.

MindzEye
01-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Honestly, if I was getting into my late 30s, I'd seriously look into TRT/HGH therapy from a licensed physician. I know some guys getting into middle age who look better than most 20 year old gym rats from 100% doctor approved sauce.

GH is the fountain of youth. I'm waiting for a bit of peer reviewed stuff to come out on it before I dive in, only 34 so I should still be producing an okay amount of it.

MindzEye
01-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Google Jeffry Life for anyone interested, but this is his transformation

http://www.odditycentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Dr-Jeffrey-Life2-550x366.jpg

Seriously, that's not shopped. Airbrushed, but not shopped. Growth hormone is the ****ing fountain of youth

Barry Bonds >>

Deckie007
01-09-2014, 06:49 PM

That star is smaller than I thought it'd be.

Shrinkage?

JaysCyYoung
01-09-2014, 06:50 PM
You just know that kb is lurking this thread fapping away too.

Deckie007
01-09-2014, 06:51 PM
You just know that kb is lurking this thread fapping away too.

Eh?

No pictures of males under 12 in here....

zeke
01-09-2014, 06:58 PM
That star is smaller than I thought it'd be.

Shrinkage?

heh. algonquin ain't too warm on september mornings.

Deckie007
01-09-2014, 07:01 PM
heh. algonquin ain't too warm on september mornings.

Don't I know it. Tobermory was freezing in mid-August.

JohnnyHolmes
01-09-2014, 07:37 PM
So how exactly do you get your doctor to give you HGH. I'm 42 now, I'd give it a go. Rather not buy it from the Tim Sharky types in Thailand though.

BeLeafer
01-09-2014, 07:45 PM
By how sweet a win it is. Merlot's, Malbec's, etc are fine. Avoid Shiraz.

For white's, Sauvignon is probably your best bet. Stick to those 3 and you're looking at about a gram of carbs for every ounce of wine. So, a 6 oz glass is 6 grams of carbs. Having a few laughs with the Mrs and a few buddies and you drown an entire bottle and you're really only into ~25 grams of carbs. That alone would knock you out of ketosis for the next 3-4 hours no problem but by the time you woke up and the metabolism got fired up, you'd be fine.
That's the thing though ... the wine that gave me a splitter was a Sauvignon.

25 g kicking you out of keto? I assume you're including the daily food intake in that, ya?

MindzEye
01-09-2014, 07:53 PM
25 grams of carbs in a reasonable short period of time, will knock you out of ketosis for a bit, absolutely.

Over the course of a day, not at all, but over the course of 2-3 hours (the amount of time it takes to socially drink a bottle of wine), yeah no problem.

My personal weapons of choice are a Merlot (.7 grams per ounce) for reds, and a Pinot (.8 grams per ounce) for whites.

BeLeafer
01-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Ah. Yeah, I've knocked myself out of it a few times but usually by grabbing a sandwich.

Love merlots .... I'll give it a try.

Artnes
01-09-2014, 09:45 PM
So how exactly do you get your doctor to give you HGH. I'm 42 now, I'd give it a go. Rather not buy it from the Tim Sharky types in Thailand though.

You have a better chance of TRT (test recovery thearpy) then GH. Say you're feeling sluggish and you're libido is low and you want to explore test recovery therapy.

JohnnyHolmes
01-09-2014, 09:52 PM
You have a better chance of TRT (test recovery thearpy) then GH. Say you're feeling sluggish and you're libido is low and you want to explore test recovery therapy.

and if I am not feeling any of those things...my test is fine?

I know that I am getting up there but I still feel like a teenager in a lot of ways. Boners and binge drinking being among them.

domi4president
01-09-2014, 11:30 PM

Best bet is to look up anti-aging/rejuvenation therapy type clinics. Same thing as guys who go to "men's health" clinics for TRT. GH levels drop during your forties, so if they find you're low you can get a prescription.

JohnnyHolmes
01-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Best bet is to look up anti-aging/rejuvenation therapy type clinics. Same thing as guys who go to "men's health" clinics for TRT. GH levels drop during your forties, so if they find you're low you can get a prescription.

Ok, NOW KB is fapping.

Artnes
01-10-2014, 02:55 AM
and if I am not feeling any of those things...my test is fine?

I know that I am getting up there but I still feel like a teenager in a lot of ways. Boners and binge drinking being among them.

You don't have to be I'm just saying to tell the doctor that to give it an extra boost. A cycle of test would give you a good boost.

HGH would be the better more permanent option though but you're looking at 500-600 a cycle and it takes around 2 to get the effects of it. Under guidance of a doctor would be highly recommended because proper dosage is key to get the results you want. Too much and you end up looking like Jay Culter too little and you won't see what you want.

corksens
01-10-2014, 09:08 AM

3381At least you are comfortable with who you are.

zeke
01-10-2014, 09:45 AM
At least?

corksens
01-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Err. I can see how that came across poorly. But I actually meant it.

Alot of people, even men, are super self-conscious about their body. A few pounds over where you want/should be? Big deal.

Not you though.

MindzEye
01-10-2014, 09:52 AM
You don't have to be I'm just saying to tell the doctor that to give it an extra boost. A cycle of test would give you a good boost.

HGH would be the better more permanent option though but you're looking at 500-600 a cycle and it takes around 2 to get the effects of it. Under guidance of a doctor would be highly recommended because proper dosage is key to get the results you want. Too much and you end up looking like Jay Culter too little and you won't see what you want.

Funny story. Met Jay Cutler a few years ago, a buddy owns a supplement shop and arranged for an in store appearance for a few hours. Dude is just immense (though short as ****) but I've never seen anyone in my life who looks like a ****ing super hero while being so ****ing clearly extremely unhealthy. The only time the dude wasn't wheezing when he breathed was when he was mowing down food, which he appeared to do every 30 minutes or so.

domi4president
01-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Funny story. Met Jay Cutler a few years ago, a buddy owns a supplement shop and arranged for an in store appearance for a few hours. Dude is just immense (though short as ****) but I've never seen anyone in my life who looks like a ****ing super hero while being so ****ing clearly extremely unhealthy. The only time the dude wasn't wheezing when he breathed was when he was mowing down food, which he appeared to do every 30 minutes or so.

It's insane the amount of abuse the body goes through to look that way at that size, it's so ****ing unnatural to be hovering around 300 lbs while staying under 10% bodyfat. Downloaded an e-book "Muscle" by Jon Hotten, had an entire chapter about Ronnie Coleman, the guy would be sweating and out of breath walking to an elevator.

CH1
01-10-2014, 05:55 PM
Isn't Jay Cutler 6 ft 3?

CH1
01-10-2014, 05:59 PM
BTW, I've been saying this forever -- the need for everyone to drink 8 cups of water per day is pure bullocks. Plus, coffee in moderation has a hydrating effect.

http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordpress/do-people-still-not-get-the-hydration-thing/

JohnnyHolmes
01-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Isn't Jay Cutler 6 ft 3?

This Jay Cutler is 6'3

http://musclemaximizerpromo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/jay-cutler-football-playerprofile-and-images-of-football-player-jay-cutler-lsguiswh.jpg

This Jay Cutler is 5'8

http://healthyceleb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Jay-Cutler-body.jpg

CH1
01-10-2014, 06:04 PM
gotcha. I never heard of #2. Is he part of a touring circus?

JohnnyHolmes
01-10-2014, 06:08 PM
No, he is the QB of the Bears.

CH1
01-10-2014, 06:12 PM
That's kinda Bittman's point. The change has to be permanent. Easier said than done, especially if one likes chips. *sigh*

My hack is I treat meat like a side dish and make veggies take centre stage. Easy to do at home but most restaurants make that complex and unsatisfying.

As for booze, I agree. Even one once of vodka has 64 calories. So a decent night of drinking is like eating an extra cheeseburger or two (plus it makes you hungry for cheeseburgers and/or poutine)

Habspatrol
01-10-2014, 08:38 PM
I was wondering... wtf? Jay Cutler is that out of shape but built like a super hero? Really?

Never heard of this Jay Cutler.

I know that nobody wants to have my build but I really don't know why anyone would want to be built like that either. It's just ridiculous and extremely impractical. Also, I'm sure there's a segment of women that find it attractive but most do not at all.

JaysCyYoung
01-10-2014, 08:46 PM
He looks absolutely ridiculous.

Habspatrol
01-10-2014, 08:59 PM
A guy who is unbelievable is Christian Bale. I'm amazed at his dedication and ability to transform his body in short periods of time. I'm sure it helps to have trainers and people cooking for you.

http://www.peoplestylewatch.com/people/stylewatch/package/article/0,,20768373_20773517,00.html

Velvet Goldmine, 1998
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2014/sandbox/news/140120/velvet-goldmine-1-600x450.jpg

American Psycho, 2000
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2014/sandbox/news/140120/christian-bale/american-pyscho-600x450.jpg

The Machinist, 2004
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2014/sandbox/news/140120/christian-bale/the-machinist-600x450.jpg

Batman Begins, 2005
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2014/sandbox/news/140120/christian-bale/batman-begins-600x450.jpg

Rescue Dawn, 2006
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2014/sandbox/news/140120/christian-bale/red-dawn-600x450.jpg

Terminator Salvation, 2009
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2014/sandbox/news/140120/christian-bale/terminator-600x450.jpg

The Fighter, 2010
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2014/sandbox/news/140120/christian-bale/the-fighter-600x450.jpg

The Dark Knight Rises, 2012
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2014/sandbox/news/140120/christian-bale/dark-knight-600x450.jpg

Out of the Furnace, 2013
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2014/sandbox/news/140120/christian-bale/furnace-600x450.jpg

American Hustle, 2013
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2014/sandbox/news/140120/christian-bale/american-hustle-600x450.jpg

Exodus, 2014
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2014/sandbox/news/140120/christian-bale/exodus-600x450.jpg

CH1
01-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Yeah, in terms of pulling in ladies

Bale >>>>>>>>>>>> Cutler + Hormones

zeke
01-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Pretty sure that was a fake belly in hustle.

Habspatrol
01-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Pretty sure that was a fake belly in hustle.

Not according to People... and look at his legs... he's pudgy. He's also pushing out throughout the movie.

Finally, Bale gets to eat! To get into the right "shape" for his turn as a soft-bodied con artist, the actor indulged in an endless amount of junk food – especially cheeseburgers – gaining 40 lbs. overall.

corksens
01-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Very hard on the body. Bale is as stupid as talented.

But I'm sure most of us good binge and purge under the guidance of trained professionals and 5m or more pay cheque.

blkngldbabe
01-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Personally, I find diets fail. A lot. Just try to start wait clean. While foods. Non processed. Frequent meals with non huge portions. Keep the water intake up and get a lot of carbs from veggies or whole grains if necessary. Lose as much processed sugars as possible and plan your meals so you aren't tempted while hungry to eat garbage. Start out like that and then tweak for what your goals are. It's a way of living/eating. Not a diet.

Habspatrol
01-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Personally, I find diets fail. A lot. Just try to start wait clean. While foods. Non processed. Frequent meals with non huge portions. Keep the water intake up and get a lot of carbs from veggies or whole grains if necessary. Lose as much processed sugars as possible and plan your meals so you aren't tempted while hungry to eat garbage. Start out like that and then tweak for what your goals are. It's a way of living/eating. Not a diet.
I'm doing a lot of this right now. Still need to start eating better foods, but I am eating a fair bit less... and incorporating salads and veggies a lot more. Also I've stopped drinking pop and removed cream and sugar from my coffee. I basically drink a green tea first thing in the morning then black coffee and water till like noonish then water for the rest of the day.

As of yesterday I have lost 13 lbs since Jan 1st.

worm
01-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Couldn't agree more. People use New Year's as a crutch when the reality is that if you truly want to make important lifestyle changes, you can do so at any time.

Waiting until a specific date just gives you an excuse for inaction.

Disagree.

Different things work for different people.

I am personally like you. But it works for some people...they just need a start.

worm
01-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Exercise is funny.

I hate - HATE - "working out". Hamster wheel, lifting weights? No thanks.

But in the summer I love biking, and if someone asked me to play hockey every day I would jump at the opportunity. I love being active, but I hate working out.

I am they same way.

I dont work out...I play sports (biking, hockey, running with the dogs, etc)

JaysCyYoung
01-14-2014, 12:26 PM
I vehemently disagree with that.

Virtually everyone that sets a goal by dates, at least in my specific experience, ends up relapsing later on. It's like blkgldbabe said, it's a lifestyle change. And you can't simply put a date on that.

You simply do it.

worm
01-14-2014, 12:35 PM
I'm sure if you really want to lose as much weight as possible calorie counting is very helpful... and I think most people cook most of their own meals.

I don't know if I'll ever be a big calorie counter though. I will do like you say, use common sense.

Never worked for me.

Basically what I did years ago was say...okay im going to count calories and give it a month....if it works Ill keep at it.

Even doing it for a few months you will understand things a lot better. IE: Going to Boston Pizza = an entire day worth of calories.

I also work better with goals. I find it funny. I set a goal of 25 pounds lost...made that goal easily. Then set a goal of 145 pounds...made it easily. But I seem to stop at that goal.

For some 'feeling better' works. For myself I need proof. My weight is the proof that the work has paid off. The added benefit is that with weight loss I do feel better, etc.

worm
01-14-2014, 12:47 PM

Virtually everyone that sets a goal by dates, at least in my specific experience, ends up relapsing later on. It's like blkgldbabe said, it's a lifestyle change. And you can't simply put a date on that.

You simply do it.

For HP and legoalie it seemed to work.

Why cant you change your lifestyle on Jan 1?

Habspatrol
01-14-2014, 12:49 PM

You simply do it.

I did it with smoking over 7 years ago and haven't so much as put a cigarette near my mouth.

JaysCyYoung
01-14-2014, 12:52 PM

Because if you truly want to stick out with someone you shouldn't need a deadline to do so. It's something that you internalize and commit to. Setting dates makes it too easy to make excuses and move the goal posts to future dates.

leafman101
01-14-2014, 12:56 PM
I would think that most people don't stick with radical lifestyle changes whether they pick a start date or not. It takes hard work and discipline, especially when people try to be perfect sticking with new diets or workout routines. I don't think the start date has much to do with not being able to maintain.

IMO people put too much pressure on themselves to make radical changes, and not cheat at all and its really hard to keep up with it. Just do your best. The results will come.

Habspatrol
01-14-2014, 12:59 PM

Like I said... January 1st is a good day to start your lifestyle change when it comes to eating. The Christmas season just had too many temptations. A food addict to try and quit eating poorly during that time is setting himself up for failure imo. By next Christmas I will be almost a year into my recovery and I'll be more equipped to deal with the temptations.

worm
01-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Because if you truly want to stick out with someone you shouldn't need a deadline to do so. It's something that you internalize and commit to. Setting dates makes it too easy to make excuses and move the goal posts to future dates.

For myself it was seeing a picture of myself.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/13769_221701985729_3874303_n.jpg
This one.

For some it is Jan 1. For some it is a birthday. Or a heart attack. Or a friend calling them fat. A break-up.

Tons of things to trigger a lifestyle change.

Most "Im going to lose weight" statements, or diets fail. I would be curious to see some data on new years vs all diets.

Habspatrol
01-14-2014, 01:05 PM
I would think that most people don't stick with radical lifestyle changes whether they pick a start date or not. It takes hard work and discipline, especially when people try to be perfect sticking with new diets or workout routines. I don't think the start date has much to do with not being able to maintain.

IMO people put too much pressure on themselves to make radical changes, and not cheat at all and its really hard to keep up with it. Just do your best. The results will come.

Exactly how my life has gone. I always have great intentions whether it's Jan 1st or June 15th... I go all out and make unrealistic goals and set an unrealistic pace. Then when I inevitably fail I fall back into my old routine out of habit/comfort. I honestly believe that this time I have set out a far more realistic game plan and I should have a much easier time maintaining it.

That's not to say it's going to be easy, and I'm sure that there's a probability that I will fail.... but I believe I will succeed this time.

worm
01-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Like I said... January 1st is a good day to start your lifestyle change when it comes to eating. The Christmas season just had too many temptations. A food addict to try and quit eating poorly during that time is setting himself up for failure imo. By next Christmas I will be almost a year into my recovery and I'll be more equipped to deal with the temptations.

Ya.

For me I think Jays is probably right. If I say "oh Im going to lose weight Jan 1" I will probably fail. Sort of like "Im going to quit smoking after this pack" ... but for some people it does work.

Or by next Christmas gaining a few pounds wont be a big deal. Like it is with me. I gained 5 pounds. But I will lose it again over time and go back to my normal weight.

worm
01-14-2014, 01:08 PM
Exactly how my life has gone. I always have great intentions whether it's Jan 1st or June 15th... I go all out and make unrealistic goals and set an unrealistic pace. Then when I inevitably fail I fall back into my old routine out of habit/comfort. I honestly believe that this time I have set out a far more realistic game plan and I should have a much easier time maintaining it.

That's not to say it's going to be easy, and I'm sure that there's a probability that I will fail.... but I believe I will succeed this time.

My big thing with all things...trending.

If I am trending down (over months not days). I am okay with it.

The other thing is that after you have lost weight it is actually hard to gain weight.

I set a goal of 145 pounds..and to stay under 150. Once you reach your goal you can return to 'normal' intake.

Eg. If you are currently eating 2500 calories per day...you lose weight by going to 1500 a day. Once you reach an ideal weight you can go to 2000 to maintain that weight (the numbers are just examples).

Habspatrol
01-14-2014, 01:09 PM
I would be curious to see some data on new years vs all diets.
I can only speak for myself but so far I'm probably about 0 for 10 or 15 on all diets... and 0-3 on New Years diets.

Most people who try and fail on diets are trying several times and only a few of those attempts happen to be resolutions. Or at least out of the fat asses I know.

domi4president
01-14-2014, 02:46 PM

So much this...the more you postpone, the less likely you are to just do it. I don't even remember when I decided to join the gym and get in shape, I just did it. It's hard to empathize with you guys the don't like exercise though, I thoroughly enjoy lifting weights.

In terms of dieting, just work on counting your calories and macronutrients before you start limiting yourself on certain foods. Obviously if you're drinking five litres of pop every day you're not going to stay under, but generally speaking its easier to limit portion size than limit taste.

corksens
01-14-2014, 02:52 PM
This shit is hard.

Only eating one real meal a day.

Juice in the morning. Juice at lunch along with either a banana or today I had a hard boiled egg and some celery with peanut butter. Dinner is open for a real meal...just low on carbs.

Edit: By juice I mean we got a juicer - apples, oranges, carrots, celery, beets, kale, spinach, melon...that stuff. Not tropicana.

worm
01-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Never drink calories. Fact.

corksens
01-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Never drink calories. Fact.If I was crushing a coke at 7am you'd have a point.

But having fresh made vegetable and fruit juice in the morning, instead of a big meal, is excellent.

JaysCyYoung
01-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Never drink calories. Fact.

That's easier said than done for those of us who don't live in the Mormon Heartland.

JaysCyYoung
01-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Ya.

For me I think Jays is probably right. If I say "oh Im going to lose weight Jan 1" I will probably fail. Sort of like "Im going to quit smoking after this pack" ... but for some people it does work.

Or by next Christmas gaining a few pounds wont be a big deal. Like it is with me. I gained 5 pounds. But I will lose it again over time and go back to my normal weight.

Hey you could absolutely be right, and I'm sure it does work for some people to set a date. I'm just speaking in generalities here though: most people that set dates inevitably fail because they don't make lifestyle changes condusive to meeting their goals and then they use the date as a crutch or an excuse when that happens. "Oh I'll do it at this point," or like you said "I'll quit after this pack," "I'll have one more beer and that's it." You have to be totally committed to changing yourself if you want to see results.

It's like going to the gym once a week: it may alleviate some of your guilt and it's certainly better than not going at all, but if you want real results you need to show more commitment.

domi4president
01-14-2014, 03:00 PM
It's freaking impossible to hit a decent amount of protein (while eating clean) without drinking some of it. Without a couple of scoops of whey I'd be eating a hell of a lot of chicken and tuna.

JaysCyYoung
01-14-2014, 03:01 PM
It's freaking impossible to hit a decent amount of protein while eating clean without drinking some of it. Without a couple of scoops of whey I'd be eating a hell of a lot of chicken and tuna.

After a good work-out where you burn over 1,000-1,200 calories from cardio and lifting it helps to get something like a Booster Juice. There's about 450 calories in one of the regular protein smoothies and about 25-30 grams of protein, thereby negating the need to eat a few birds.

worm
01-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Hey you could absolutely be right, and I'm sure it does work for some people to set a date. I'm just speaking in generalities here though: most people that set dates inevitably fail because they don't make lifestyle changes condusive to meeting their goals and then they use the date as a crutch or an excuse when that happens. "Oh I'll do it at this point," or like you said "I'll quit after this pack," "I'll have one more beer and that's it." You have to be totally committed to changing yourself if you want to see results.

It's like going to the gym once a week: it may alleviate some of your guilt and it's certainly better than not going at all, but if you want real results you need to show more commitment.

Actually you were speaking in absolutes.

Also...most people fail.

But I think we largely agree now.

worm
01-14-2014, 03:43 PM
That's easier said than done for those of us who don't live in the Mormon Heartland.

I do not anymore. Edmonton is not. Southern Alberta is.

But juice is bad for you (calorie and sugar).

worm
01-14-2014, 03:45 PM
If I was crushing a coke at 7am you'd have a point.

But having fresh made vegetable and fruit juice in the morning, instead of a big meal, is excellent.

Instead of a big meal yes.
And if you are making your own juice it might be okay.

I would much rather just have some fruit and veggies with water. Gives you a full feeling more than juice.

But that is just me.

I know plenty of people that switch from pop to juice and wonder why they do not lose weight.

worm
01-14-2014, 03:46 PM
After a good work-out where you burn over 1,000-1,200 calories from cardio and lifting it helps to get something like a Booster Juice. There's about 450 calories in one of the regular protein smoothies and about 25-30 grams of protein, thereby negating the need to eat a few birds.

450 calories is 1/4 of my daily calories.

MindzEye
01-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Yes, but you're a midget.

JaysCyYoung
01-14-2014, 03:51 PM
I do not anymore. Edmonton is not. Southern Alberta is.

But juice is bad for you (calorie and sugar).

My bad. For some reason I thought that you were still in the south (even though it's there in your location).

worm

Hehe. You do not have to say it like it is.

corksens

I would much rather just have some fruit and veggies with water. Gives you a full feeling more than juice.

But that is just me.

I know plenty of people that switch from pop to juice and wonder why they do not lose weight.Not instead of a big meal - instead of any meal - other than say a banana and a hard-boiled egg for protein.

I'm not trying to win a body-building championship. Just want to shed a few.

worm
01-14-2014, 03:52 PM
My bad. For some reason I thought that you were still in the south (even though it's there in your location).

Where?

For me it says:

Location edmonton

JaysCyYoung
01-14-2014, 03:52 PM

But that is just me.

I know plenty of people that switch from pop to juice and wonder why they do not lose weight.

It's obviously not on a Gary Roberts level in terms of advanced nutrition, but if you have a Magic Bullet, throw some strawberries and bananas in there, some vanilla Greek yogurt (more protein than regular yogurt), a few scoops of whey powder, and some ice cubes, blend, and you have a perfect post-workout shake.

You save a lot of money that way too.

JaysCyYoung
01-14-2014, 03:53 PM
Where?

For me it says:

No, I was saying it says Edmonton in your location. I was saying for some reason I thought you were still in the Lethbridge area.

JaysCyYoung
01-14-2014, 03:53 PM

Show some compassion. They prefer the term little people.

JaysCyYoung
01-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Actually you were speaking in absolutes.

Also...most people fail.

But I think we largely agree now.

Unless I'm mistaken, I used the term "virtually," which is not an absolute my friend.

#plausibledeniability

domi4president
01-14-2014, 03:55 PM
450 calories is 1/4 of my daily calories.

Just a little over 1/10th of mine :smilewinkgrin:

Not instead of a big meal - instead of any meal - other than say a banana and a hard-boiled egg for protein.

I'm not trying to win a body-building championship. Just want to shed a few.

I really can't help you then...when you're ready to step up for the Olympia let me know.

worm
01-14-2014, 03:55 PM
It's obviously not on a Gary Roberts level in terms of advanced nutrition, but if you have a Magic Bullet, throw some strawberries and bananas in there, some vanilla Greek yogurt (more protein than regular yogurt), a few scoops of whey powder, and some ice cubes, blend, and you have a perfect post-workout shake.

You save a lot of money that way too.

First I will have to work out.

But I will eat the strawberries, bananas, and yogurt :p

worm
01-14-2014, 03:57 PM
No, I was saying it says Edmonton in your location. I was saying for some reason I thought you were still in the Lethbridge area.

ahhhhhhhh

I see.

I was looking through my profile trying to find Lethbridge. Haha.

worm
01-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, I used the term "virtually," which is not an absolute my friend.

#plausibledeniability

Hate the word virtually (because it can mean "not in fact" or almost).

Now I will look back to what you said to start this. :p

worm
01-14-2014, 04:02 PM
I said:

Disagree.

Different things work for different people.

I am personally like you. But it works for some people...they just need a start.

Jays said:

You simply do it.

It appears you did say virtually but it also appears you didnt disagree with me at all...never mind vehemently.

:)

JaysCyYoung
01-14-2014, 04:03 PM
More anti-short people references or GTFO.

domi4president
01-14-2014, 04:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA

?

worm
01-14-2014, 04:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADpsIb7vfs

MindzEye
01-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Hehe. You do not have to say it like it is.

Accurately?

:smile(21):

MindzEye
01-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Show some compassion. They prefer the term little people.

and I prefer seeing how far I can throw them, if we're talking preferences of course.

mbow30
01-14-2014, 04:13 PM

the easiest place to start is what you drink.

stick to water, tea and coffee (no sugar).

we should only be consuming about a tablespoon worth of sugar in a day. a cup of orange just has over 2. a can of coke has 3.

and if you want to cut fat -- sugar is the most important thing to cut.

the other easy-ish thing to do (and i think you said yo uwere doing it) -- cut everything in half. if you normally have 5 slices of pizza, have 3. if you want a piece of cake, cut it in half and throw out the other half.

deprive yourself of nothing, but just control your portions.

it means being a bit hungry (though you will find that, generally, the 'still hungry' feeling is gone after 30 minutes or so -- if not, have some water).

but it's a great way to get the ball rolling and can be quite effective.

domi4president
01-14-2014, 04:42 PM

we should only be consuming about a tablespoon worth of sugar in a day. a cup of orange just has over 2. a can of coke has 3.

the other easy-ish thing to do (and i think you said yo uwere doing it) -- cut everything in half. if you normally have 5 slices of pizza, have 3. if you want a piece of cake, cut it in half and throw out the other half.

it means being a bit hungry (though you will find that, generally, the 'still hungry' feeling is gone after 30 minutes or so -- if not, have some water).

Great minds think alike.

UWHabs
01-14-2014, 04:58 PM

Okay, I'll switch to one slice of triple frosted fudge cake for breakfast. The start of a new me!

corksens
01-14-2014, 05:02 PM
How careful should one be about natural sugars? Ie, Apples, oranges, melon.

MindzEye
01-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Fructose has a Glycemic Index of 12-25. Glucose 85+

So the sugars found in fruit will command a significantly lesser insulin response than glucose will.

With that said, fructose should make up no more than 5% of the caloric intake based on current research (which of course is subject to change as a few years ago fructose was being researched as a potential silver bullet in the fight against diabetes). Keep in mind, that's just the sugar content, the sugar does not make up the entire caloric value of a fruit.

mbow30
01-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Okay, I'll switch to one slice of triple frosted fudge cake for breakfast. The start of a new me!

if you ate two slicse of triple frosted fudge cake for breakfast every day, and cut that down to one, over time you would lose weight and become healthier than you were when you had two slices of cake.

mbow30
01-14-2014, 05:28 PM

sugar isn't sugar, but it's still sugar (if that makes sense).

MindzEye
01-14-2014, 05:29 PM
sugar isn't sugar, but it's still sugar (if that makes sense).

I think what you're trying to say is that glycemic index is a thing.

lecoqsportif
01-14-2014, 05:52 PM

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jan/13/sugar-how-to-give-up-11-easy-steps

Habspatrol
01-14-2014, 07:53 PM

Virtually exactly what I'm doing. Except I have completely cut out any sort of unhealthy snacks like cake, cookies, chips and that shit. Although I have had a small serving of popcorn which isn't really a healthy snack per se. I'm only drinking green tea, black coffee and lots of water.

As for portions I think I've basically cut mine in half... maybe 60%. Tonight we had pizza but instead on my usual 4 big pieces I started with a good size salad and guzzled a big glass of water then I had 2 small pieces of pizza.

I still get to have pizza but I feel a lot better about it.

Habspatrol
01-14-2014, 07:56 PM
Fructose has a Glycemic Index of 12-25. Glucose 85+

So the sugars found in fruit will command a significantly lesser insulin response than glucose will.

With that said, fructose should make up no more than 5% of the caloric intake based on current research (which of course is subject to change as a few years ago fructose was being researched as a potential silver bullet in the fight against diabetes). Keep in mind, that's just the sugar content, the sugar does not make up the entire caloric value of a fruit.

I'm curious... and this isn't really necessarily just for you and you advice... but is all this advice for "a normal person" who just wants to be healthy? Or is it if you're looking to drop weight and or get ripped?

MindzEye
01-14-2014, 08:04 PM
Honestly, a person who is ripped, is just someone who eats healthy in proper amount, and follows a good lifting program.

Glycemic index is specifically about blood sugar though, which has repercussions for everyone. It can be the difference between someone a bit more serious having the size and definition they want without "supplementation", or it can be the difference between a truck driver being diabetic at 45 years old or not.

BeLeafer
01-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but it also matters how you ingest the frutcose. In juice it's much worse than in a fruit, due to the pressence of fibre in the latter which is generally removed from the former. The hardest thing about going keto for me was giving up the juice and fruit.

Habspatrol
01-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but it also matters how you ingest the frutcose. In juice it's much worse than in a fruit, due to the pressence of fibre in the latter which is generally removed from the former. The hardest thing about going keto for me was giving up the juice and fruit.

Couldn't you use a juicer? Then you get the fibre.

MindzEye
01-14-2014, 08:19 PM

The biggest difference there is that the sugars alone give no feeling of being full, and they're empty nutritionally. The fibre in a piece of fruit will at least calm your hunger for a bit and assists some necessary digestive processes.

BeLeafer
01-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Couldn't you use a juicer? Then you get the fibre.

Juicers remove a lot of fibre.

In general, I'd say it's okay to do it in moderation, but for keto you basically have to totally minimize all sugar.

BeLeafer
01-14-2014, 08:22 PM
The biggest difference there is that the sugars alone give no feeling of being full, and they're empty nutritionally. The fibre in a piece of fruit will at least calm your hunger for a bit and assists some necessary digestive processes.

My understanding was that the fibre helps to slow down the metobolization of the sugar/carb.

In terms of feeling full, it's amazing how much lowering carbs and replacing with fat will do the trick.

Habspatrol
01-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Juicers remove a lot of fibre.

In general, I'd say it's okay to do it in moderation, but for keto you basically have to totally minimize all sugar.

Oh I didn't realize that.

BeLeafer
01-14-2014, 08:24 PM
Oh I didn't realize that.

The pulpy shit that gets left behind is mostly fibre.

Habspatrol
01-14-2014, 08:27 PM
The pulpy shit that gets left behind is mostly fibre.

To be honest I have never used a juicer. I have a Ninja and I just blend a bunch of fruit and veggies and then drink the whole thing... pulp and all.

BeLeafer
01-14-2014, 08:28 PM
To be honest I have never used a juicer. I have a Ninja and I just blend a bunch of fruit and veggies and then drink the whole thing... pulp and all.
Best way to do it, imo.

Deckie007
01-14-2014, 08:41 PM

6/7 dwarfs aren't happy

MindzEye
01-14-2014, 08:44 PM
7/7 aren't tall

Deckie007
01-14-2014, 08:47 PM
1/7 are named Andrew.

Hoss
01-14-2014, 09:10 PM
As I've mentioned... I have had some issues with Cholesterol in my family and it took my doctor saying "you might want to start looking at statins because of your history". My moms been on them for over 40 years or so and my brother the last 10 or so, but I want to try to avoid them.

I have in the past few years have limited sugars... but I have increased the hell out of my fibre intake and I haven't had a beer or wine since Jan 1st, and haven't really missed it. I first started with telling myself to avoid it during the week and then the weekend came and I wasn't in a situation to need it. So far so good. I ain't banning it altogether, but I would like to see how long my will power will take me.

Habspatrol
01-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Luckily for me I almost never drink booze so I don't have to worry about those calories.

corksens
01-15-2014, 01:39 PM
Anyone have a good alternative option to tortilla wraps? I love the things but it's a not-so-good carb.

Last night the gf made me try fajitas with lettuce as the wrap. I debated suicide.

Hoss
01-15-2014, 01:48 PM
chinese duck in lettuce wraps are yum.... but I am convinced corn is the worst thing for you in terms of fattening you up.

Habspatrol
01-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Anyone have a good alternative option to tortilla wraps? I love the things but it's a not-so-good carb.

Last night the gf made me try fajitas with lettuce as the wrap. I debated suicide.

Yeah I've used lettuce for wraps before and it's not bad sometimes but overall it's shit. I'm not sure there is a good alternative. Maybe Saran Wrap?

Leafyblue
01-15-2014, 02:13 PM
Use meat instead. Ham rolls up nicely. So does turkey if you want less fat. Protein for the win.

MindzEye
01-15-2014, 02:24 PM

Almond flour tortillas. I have my Mexican gf working on the exact recipe, stay tuned.

corksens
01-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Almond flour tortillas. I have my Mexican gf working on the exact recipe, stay tuned.Muchos gracias.

corksens
01-15-2014, 02:28 PM
Use meat instead. Ham rolls up nicely. So does turkey if you want less fat. Protein for the win.Is this serious? I can see wrapping some veggies in a pounded out chicken breast.

But wrapping a fajita in ham? I barfed alittle in my mouth.

zeke
01-15-2014, 02:39 PM
get that shit they wrap spring rolls in.

mbow30
01-15-2014, 02:45 PM
get that shit they wrap spring rolls in.

rice.

blkngldbabe
01-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Gluten free wraps?

JohnnyHolmes
01-15-2014, 03:36 PM
This thread is getting into Richard Simmons territory.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/168/7/e/glee_gay_scale_by_gabberkittie-d53vvld.jpg

MindzEye
01-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Muchos gracias.

de nada

MindzEye
01-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Gluten free wraps?

You need to learn how to make proper tortillas. Corn flour is gluten free, dead simple to make into massa (dough) and with a tortilla press (http://www.amazon.com/IMUSA-Tortilla-Press-Pre-Cured-8-Inch/dp/B00164T384) you can whip together as many as you need in a pretty short period of time.

If you're looking for something closer to a store bought, flimsy consistency, add coconut & almond flour until you get it where you want.

domi4president
01-15-2014, 05:09 PM
This thread is getting into Richard Simmons territory.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/168/7/e/glee_gay_scale_by_gabberkittie-d53vvld.jpg

I wanted to turn the conversation towards lifting heavy shit...

corksens
01-15-2014, 06:07 PM
I wanted to turn the conversation towards lifting heavy shit...Yea, because that's not gay at all.

Leafyblue
01-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Question was about carbs, not gluten. I like the almond flour tortilla idea though. :)

Hoss
01-15-2014, 06:26 PM
I just bought a bag of Freekah.... a "new" ancient grain. Apparently its a green cracked wheat from biblical times.

Here is a write up from some site I found about the health benefits.

• Low glycemic index — for slowly released sustained energy.
• High in fibre — up to four times the amount of brown rice.
• Acts as a prebiotic — nutrient able to fuel the growth of healthy (good) bacteria in the digestive tract, which is important for bowel health and immune function.
• Rich source of lutein and zeaxanthin — phytonutrient carotenoids known for supporting vision and eye health.
• Good source of plant based protein
• Low in fat
• Rich in calcium, iron, and zinc

It has more fibre than Quinuoa but not as much protein (although it still has it)

I like the prebiotic nature. The more I have focused on that in my life the better I generally have fealt.

I cooked it tonight like a rice but I added some things. Water, some salt, a few shots of avocado oil, some minced garlic, and tumeric. Nice. It has nutty taste but my wife and kids really liked it.

domi4president
01-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Yea, because that's not gay at all.

Had no idea powerlifting and strength training was gay, please enlighten me.

corksens
01-15-2014, 07:17 PM
Had no idea powerlifting and strength training was gay, please enlighten me.Firstly, I was just joking.

Secondly, this is kinda gay...

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3T1oHJ8btkWS6Zv_meLy_9gcaLmhbl c-E7ir7Vnqnx0aFYriq

domi4president
01-15-2014, 07:18 PM
That's bodybuilding, which is totally gay in every way possible.

BeLeafer
01-15-2014, 07:30 PM
I've been doing some free weight training using only 25 lbs dumbbells. I've read a lot of conflicting information on building lean vs. bulky muscles. Just curious about any of the weight training posters' opinions on this front. I'd like to avoid getting too bulky. I do a lot of different exercises using 12-15 reps three times for each on the workout.

domi4president
01-15-2014, 07:38 PM
This is probably all broscience, but from what I've read and heard a muscle can only get bigger or smaller. The visual effect of leanness is a reduction of bodyfat to accentuate muscular definition. The shape and insertions of your muscles is pretty much determined at birth (for example, you can't make the peak of your biceps higher, contrary to many Men's Health workouts).

BeLeafer
01-15-2014, 07:54 PM
I think that is correct, d4p. I'm fairly broadly built skeletal-wise. Just interested if there's ways to reduce/minimize the bulking from weight training. I read that lighter weights and higher reps helps, but contrary opinions/evidence on that.

I'm just using this to be well toned. So maybe if I just keep these workouts to twice per week, that will do the trick.

lecoqsportif
01-15-2014, 08:25 PM

Yah, that's Vietnamese. What you want there is nuoc cham, not Mexican seasoning: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/nuoc-cham-sauce/

But, it ain't healthy - it's full of sugar and salt. Damn good though.

Hoss
01-15-2014, 08:48 PM
I think that is correct, d4p. I'm fairly broadly built skeletal-wise. Just interested if there's ways to reduce/minimize the bulking from weight training. I read that lighter weights and higher reps helps, but contrary opinions/evidence on that.

I'm just using this to be well toned. So maybe if I just keep these workouts to twice per week, that will do the trick.

as DFP stated, if your body fat is in check, the muscle you create can only become larger or smaller. But the idea of doing high reps with a low weight giving a cardio effect isn't necessarily true. Alot of people now say eat clean, and lift heavy for best results. Cardio really is only good for your heart... eating clean is the key to staying lean.

I've seen my best results when I've done heavy workouts and given my body time to heal and rest between body parts.

blkngldbabe
01-15-2014, 09:08 PM
There's a pretty cool resource site. Eat to perform. You guys who like to lift should check it out.

blkngldbabe
01-15-2014, 09:10 PM
As an aside, I am a Beachbody coach and if Any of you don't want to join a gym but still work with a program, pm me. There are a tonne to choose from for everybody's goals. Not pushing but if there is an interest I'd love to Chat about it.

MindzEye
01-15-2014, 09:19 PM
I've been doing some free weight training using only 25 lbs dumbbells. I've read a lot of conflicting information on building lean vs. bulky muscles. Just curious about any of the weight training posters' opinions on this front. I'd like to avoid getting too bulky. I do a lot of different exercises using 12-15 reps three times for each on the workout.

The odds of someone in your age bracket getting "too bulky" is pretty slim. You just don't produce enough Test & GH to promote that type of growth without a pretty perfectly designed diet and lifting routine.

BeLeafer
01-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Well, that's good to know ... just avoid the testosterone injections.

CH1
01-15-2014, 11:31 PM
Question for HabsPatrol (or anyone else interested in nutrition): how many of your meals, percentage wise are the home-cooked variety. And, no microwave dinners and other pre-cooked meals don't count.

I'm asking because other than specialty health food joints, restaurants and food processors want to make you happy. For them, everyday is your birthday so they load your dishes with butter, salt, sugar, fat and all the good stuff -- even if you're ordering a salad.

blkngldbabe
01-16-2014, 07:00 AM
This. ^

Habspatrol
01-16-2014, 07:53 AM
Question for HabsPatrol (or anyone else interested in nutrition): how many of your meals, percentage wise are the home-cooked variety. And, no microwave dinners and other pre-cooked meals don't count.

I'm asking because other than specialty health food joints, restaurants and food processors want to make you happy. For them, everyday is your birthday so they load your dishes with butter, salt, sugar, fat and all the good stuff -- even if you're ordering a salad.

We always eat at home now that I've changed the way I eat. We used to eat fast food 1-3 times a week though. As for cooking a meal from scratch... maybe 5 or so meals a week now. We eat canned soup or a frozen pizza or something easy like that 1 or 2 times a week still.

BeLeafer
01-16-2014, 08:02 AM
We always eat at home now that I've changed the way I eat. We used to eat fast food 1-3 times a week though. As for cooking a meal from scratch... maybe 5 or so meals a week now. We eat canned soup or a frozen pizza or something easy like that 1 or 2 times a week still.

Very hard to resist restaurants/take out, although I have a few nearby work that I can get to prep pretty healthy keto-friendly meals for lunch.

The canned soup is probably a killer (even the ones that bill themselves as natural/organic, etc. are full of salt and sugars). Making batches of soup and freezing them is a staple of my winter diet. It's pretty easy to do and delicious. Just need the freezer space and containers. You can make enough for several months over a weekend.

Habspatrol
01-16-2014, 01:19 PM
That's a great idea BL. There are a few home made soups I really love. We could make up a whack of them and freeze them.

CH1
01-16-2014, 01:31 PM
That's a great idea BL. There are a few home made soups I really love. We could make up a whack of them and freeze them.

I'm often making big amounts of soups/sauces/stews while watching NFL on Sundays. It's a pretty low maintenance endeavour that saves a ton of time during the week.

CH1
01-16-2014, 01:43 PM
You may also want to consider getting a programmable slow cooker -- dinner gets happening while you're at work.

http://www.amazon.ca/Crock-Pot-SCVT650PS-CN-Quart-Touchscreen-Cooker/dp/B00942VK0O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1389898074&sr=8-4&keywords=Programmable+Slow+Cooker

JaysCyYoung
01-16-2014, 01:53 PM
You may also want to consider getting a programmable slow cooker -- dinner gets happening while you're at work.

http://www.amazon.ca/Crock-Pot-SCVT650PS-CN-Quart-Touchscreen-Cooker/dp/B00942VK0O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1389898074&sr=8-4&keywords=Programmable+Slow+Cooker

http://buckslocalnews.com/content/articles/2012/07/28/the_advance/news/doc50142858f0fd77820635821.jpg

CH1
01-16-2014, 01:59 PM
nah, they shut off at certain temps - hence the word programmable

In any case, rebuilding one's home provides an opportunity for lots of great exercise.

TimHorton
01-16-2014, 02:08 PM
Slow cookers really are a god send.

BeLeafer
01-16-2014, 02:14 PM

If you'd like some help on making them, here's the way I did them before going on keto:

Soup Base

In a big stock pot or dutch oven ... this is the one I use (10L)
http://www.cuisinox.com/upload/8879_pot324h.jpg

Saute some onions, garlic in butter
Once softened up add 4 litres of really good vegetable or chicken stock
Depending on the key vegetable ingredients, add 1 or 2 peeled medium potatoes (this is for thickening)
Add a few celery stalks and 1-2 peeled carrots
Throw in 3 bay leaves and freshly ground pepper
Bring to boil

Now, add whatever you like in terms of vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, sweet potato, squash, green beans, split peas, spinach, mushroom or whatever and combos).
Reduce heat to simmer gentle boil and put the lid on.
Let simmer for at least 45 minutes (I often do it for an hour and a half)

Once done, remove the bay leaves (remember to do this!)

Take a hand blender and puree the shit out of it until it's all smooth. That can take a while.

I'm a minimalist and don't add much seasonings just to let the natural flavours of the vegetables come through. If you like seasonings, just do so to taste and experiment away.

BeLeafer
01-16-2014, 02:15 PM
Now that I'm on keto ... it's very difficult to thicken soups up without potatoes. So, I just add a ton of veggies and reduce to thicken it up.

Leafyblue
01-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Slow cookers really are a godsend.

Does anyone else find that everything tastes the same out of a slow cooker? It doesn't matter how many ingredients you put in...they all have the same taste. A carrot should taste like a carrot..not like the juice it simmered in for 5 hrs.

Leafyblue
01-16-2014, 05:15 PM
http://www.oxfam.org/sites/www.oxfam.org/files/oxfam-best-worst-food-map.png#sthash.KLlUt8CV.dpuf

UWHabs
01-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Does anyone else find that everything tastes the same out of a slow cooker? It doesn't matter how many ingredients you put in...they all have the same taste. A carrot should taste like a carrot..not like the juice it simmered in for 5 hrs.

But that mushy slow cooker taste is amazing.

Leafyblue
01-16-2014, 05:54 PM
That's true :)

Habspatrol
01-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Home crowd. Hee hee.

Nice pass by Moen.

:lol Wrong thread perhaps?