PDA

View Full Version : GDT - CANADA v USA FEB 21st 12pmEST

Pages : [1] 2

Killer93
02-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Might as well start this now, tons to talk about and a huge game on Friday. If Canada plays the way they have then this game will be a blow out IMO.

Metalleaf
02-19-2014, 02:13 PM
No it won't...Canada's the only team in the tournament that has the horses to shutdown the Americans.

leafman101
02-19-2014, 02:14 PM
Defensively Canada hasn't given up very much. The big question is can they score enough.

MindzEye
02-19-2014, 02:14 PM
2 things...

1) Phil Kessel terrifies me going into this game. I now know how other NHL teams feel and I don't like it.

2) The silver lining for Canada is that the US also plays a North American styled game and doesn't have the defensive, big ice type players that we've run into so far with these lesser hockey programs. A more NA style game may be what we need for our forwards to really get going.

Metalleaf
02-19-2014, 02:15 PM
USAs had it easy, Canada's seen everything, it'll be a close game that could go either way, wouldn't be surprised if it went to OT.

MindzEye
02-19-2014, 02:17 PM
USAs had it easy, Canada's seen everything, it'll be a close game that could go either way, wouldn't be surprised if it went to OT.

US has had it easy against Russia & the Czech, while Canada has seen everything that Latvia and Norway can throw at you?

Metalleaf
02-19-2014, 02:20 PM
Talking styles here....they've had to survive suffocating trap style and a goalie who practically died stopping the puck.

hockeylover
02-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Survive Latvia? Come on.

Kristers is a .900 goalie in the AHL.

Metalleaf
02-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Hopefully Babcock puts Subban in for hamhuis.

Metalleaf
02-19-2014, 02:22 PM
Survive Latvia? Come on.

Not even what I said.

MyNameIsJonas
02-19-2014, 02:24 PM
Duchene for Kunitz
Subban for Hamhuis/Vlasic

please.

hairnova
02-19-2014, 02:28 PM
Well, Duchene should be back in the lineup because Tavares is done for the tournament.

MindzEye
02-19-2014, 02:32 PM
Well, Duchene should be back in the lineup because Tavares is done for the tournament.

Confirmed? I've been looking for updates and nada yet.

hairnova
02-19-2014, 02:35 PM
Confirmed? I've been looking for updates and nada yet.

StapeNewsday: Source says Tavares has a knee injury, done for Olympics. No word beyond that as of yet.

And Babcock just confirmed it.

MindzEye
02-19-2014, 02:41 PM
Thanks

zeke
02-19-2014, 02:41 PM
Should be in an interesting game.

I expect Canada to have the possession edge, but much like our leafs, the US has great quick-strike capabilities, and as good as our team defense is I'm still not sold on our goalies.

It'll be a close one I think, with a break or two either way deciding it.

MindzEye
02-19-2014, 02:43 PM
The U.S doesn't just have Leaf like quick strike abilities....the ****ers have our quick strike abilities.

I'm living in fear of that awkward, tard looking dude right now.

zeke
02-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
Toews asked about Kane.. “He’s alright, that Kessel guy is even better”

MindzEye
02-19-2014, 02:50 PM
We're going to get Philled

Habsy
02-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Two things.

1) Price plays well against Kessel usually.

2) I am concerned about the U.S. down low game if Vlasic is in the lineup. He'll get exposed for the weakling he is.

Volcanologist
02-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
Toews asked about Kane.. “He’s alright, that Kessel guy is even better”

heheh

but seriously, it's going to be so weird watching Thrill and hoping he doesn't do anything.

zeke
02-19-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm cheering for Phil.

Habsy
02-19-2014, 03:26 PM
I'm cheering for Phil.

So 4-3 Canada and Phil with the hatty?

ForeverTML
02-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Ach, 12 pm again on friday, might miss some of this one.

Agreed with most of you guys, our D has to be mobile enough to stop the speedy young americans in Kane, JVR and Kessel.

Our forwards better show up, cant keep relying on our D being gamebreakers. We just need a consistent lineup with people that can actually play with each other. We need the forwards badly.

And I wouldnt count on lineup changes. Babcock will be hesitant after a win, but one could only hope Kunitz sits I guess.

I am actually cheering against Phil. He scares me immensely - we've gotta 'Chara' him.

MyNameIsJonas
02-19-2014, 03:32 PM
With Tavares done, no one sits up front.

ForeverTML
02-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Agh, yes I forgot.

CaptainBolduke
02-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Crosby will show up. Enough said.

Habsy
02-19-2014, 03:42 PM
I just don't see enough speed on team Canada. It will be the Canadians that will slow the game down and trap on Friday.

Where is the real speed outside of Duchene and St. Louis?

Leafovic
02-19-2014, 03:43 PM
I'm cheering for Phil.

Why are you so anti-Canada? :D

CaptainBolduke
02-19-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm cheering for Phil.

Embrace the American Spirit. Praise the Stars and Stripes. Oppress the weak and poor.

GO USA GO!

hockeylover
02-19-2014, 03:46 PM
Two things.

1) Price plays well against Kessel usually.

2) I am concerned about the U.S. down low game if Vlasic is in the lineup. He'll get exposed for the weakling he is.

Kessel's got 13 pts in 12 games vs Price in the last three seasons.

trujaysfan
02-19-2014, 03:48 PM

Isn't that good for a goaltender against phil?

Metalleaf
02-19-2014, 03:56 PM
Duchene-Crosby-St.Louis
Perry-Getzlaf-Benn
Carter-Toews-Marleau
Nash-Bergeron-Kunitz

Match the Getzlaf line with Kessel's line.

hockeylover
02-19-2014, 04:01 PM
Isn't that good for a goaltender against phil?

It's an 89 point pace vs Price.
His pace for this year is... 89 points.
His pace for the last two years is... 89 points.

Phil is just Phil vs Price.

trujaysfan
02-19-2014, 04:43 PM
It's an 89 point pace vs Price.
His pace for this year is... 89 points.
His pace for the last two years is... 89 points.

Phil is just Phil vs Price.

my previous comment was sarcastic... sorry should have tossed one of these bad boys in the post :smilewinkgrin:

Habsy
02-19-2014, 04:45 PM

How many goals? I was thinking he didn't score that much, my bad for not thinking assists.

hockeylover
02-19-2014, 04:53 PM
my previous comment was sarcastic... sorry should have tossed one of these bad boys in the post :smilewinkgrin:

Haha, yeah, I shouldn't have quoted you. I just thought it was pretty cool all three numbers matched up.

hockeylover
02-19-2014, 04:55 PM
How many goals? I was thinking he didn't score that much, my bad for not thinking assists.

Ah, makes sense I guess. Three goals, ten assists - 13 points.

Hopefully we can shut down that line Friday. They look terrific.

Habsy
02-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Yeah three goals in 12 games isn't a lot for Phil but the assists are there.

Metalleaf
02-19-2014, 04:57 PM
They haven't played a team as good as Canada yet though, even with Canada's struggles. The US barely beat a terrible Russian team.

trujaysfan
02-19-2014, 05:12 PM
They haven't played a team as good as Canada yet though, even with Canada's struggles. The US barely beat a terrible Russian team.

Canada hasn't played a team nearly as good as the americans and we barely beat a terrible Latvian team

Metalleaf
02-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Finland isn't that far off, they're probably top 4 in the world now. Canada would've beaten Latvia 5-1 if they could have found the back of the net on some of those chances. Canada's had issues scoring, but they've barely broken a sweat in their own end.

leafman101
02-19-2014, 05:52 PM
The reality is Canada is undefeated and between Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf, Perry, St Louis and Tavares they have one goal. I know Tavares is out now, but all those guys are capable of scoring. A lot.

Just need to get some of that going.

corksens
02-19-2014, 05:52 PM
This is expected - but man are you guys overstating the Kessel factor here.

Canada has the best player in the world playing for them...and as quiet as he's been he's still the one most likely to blow open a game.

MindzEye
02-19-2014, 05:55 PM

He's been the best player in the olympic tournament and his skill set is perfect for big ice.

Canada has the best player in the world playing for them...and as quiet as he's been he's still the one most likely to blow open a game.

Best player in the world hasn't looked like the best player in the world in this tournament.

leaffan2005
02-19-2014, 05:57 PM
Oh no we didn't blow out another team! Alert the church elders!

We put up 56 shots. 56. The Latvian kid stood on his head, otherwise this game was not close. I think many of you just refuse to admit that other countries are good at this hockey thing too and it may cause "close" games to occur, especially with that kind of goalie performance. As somebody else mentioned, I don't see Jonathan Quick putting up that kind of performance on Friday, so a similar effort likely leads to a result that we are more accustomed to.

We smoke the Americans on Friday.

leaffan2005
02-19-2014, 05:59 PM
I do agree, however, that Babcock is an idiot with these line combinations. Just brutal stuff.

corksens
02-19-2014, 06:00 PM
He's been the best player in the olympic tournament and his skill set is perfect for big ice.

Best player in the world hasn't looked like the best player in the world in this tournament.Going into Fridays game - you can pick Kessel or Crosby. Who do you pick?

hockeylover
02-19-2014, 06:10 PM
Finland isn't that far off, they're probably top 4 in the world now. Canada would've beaten Latvia 5-1 if they could have found the back of the net on some of those chances. Canada's had issues scoring, but they've barely broken a sweat in their own end.

I think that's what's worrisome though. Who cares if you dominate in the offensive zone if you can't capitalize on your chances? I'm a little worried the USA might pull a Leafs on us.

TimHorton
02-19-2014, 06:11 PM
Going into Fridays game - you can pick Kessel or Crosby. Who do you pick?

Remember when you were comparing Kessel to Ryan? Now you're comparing him to Crosby. You must feel like a real dummy.

MindzEye
02-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Going into Fridays game - you can pick Kessel or Crosby. Who do you pick?

Right now, Kessel.

He's not the better player, but he's been lights out and in one game, a lights out Phil Kessel can provide all the offence a team needs by himself.

Montana
02-19-2014, 06:16 PM
Remember when you were comparing Kessel to Ryan? Now you're comparing him to Crosby. You must feel right a real dummy.

well played sir.

hockeylover
02-19-2014, 06:16 PM

Meh, even completely not mentioning Kessel - the US forwards have had way more chemistry and way more finish than the Canadian forwards.

No doubt Canada has a few guys that are incredibly talented and change that completely next game - I don't think anyone's denying that. They'd better actually do it though or we could be in trouble.

TheCountofMonteCristo
02-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Should be in an interesting game.

I expect Canada to have the possession edge, but much like our leafs, the US has great quick-strike capabilities, and as good as our team defense is I am not willing to give a Hab goalie any benefit of the doubt It'll be a close one I think, with a break or two either way deciding it.

FYP

MindzEye
02-19-2014, 06:18 PM

We put up 56 shots. 56. The Latvian kid stood on his head, otherwise this game was not close. I think many of you just refuse to admit that other countries are good at this hockey thing too and it may cause "close" games to occur, especially with that kind of goalie performance. As somebody else mentioned, I don't see Jonathan Quick putting up that kind of performance on Friday, so a similar effort likely leads to a result that we are more accustomed to.

Gudlevskis is a 21 yr old kid with about 30 games of professional experience (.900% in the AHL this season). You're taking the wrong lesson from pumping 56 shots on him. It's ****ing concerning that we didn't pump 5-6 goals on a 21 yr old kid playing in the biggest game of his life, while putting 50+ shots on him. Frankly, the kid didn't have many tough saves to make. The volume of shots was there, the volume of chances, wasn't.

corksens
Remember when you were comparing Kessel to Ryan? Now you're comparing him to Crosby. You must feel right a real dummy.I'm not comparing him to Crosby.

I'm stating the obvious - for all this feigned fear of Kessel by Mindz, he's forgetting that we have the best player in the world lining up on our side.

corksens
Right now, Kessel.

He's not the better player, but he's been lights out and in one game, a lights out Phil Kessel can provide all the offence a team needs by himself.Then you are an idiot.

TheCountofMonteCristo
02-19-2014, 06:19 PM

how many were goals

hockeylover
02-19-2014, 06:20 PM
how many were goals

Read the thread.

hockeylover
02-19-2014, 06:22 PM

We beat a team with two NHLers by 1 goal. You're just making excuses for them.

MindzEye
02-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Then you are an idiot.

You know Kessel leads the universe in scoring over the last 2 months in the NHL right? He's carried that into leading the olympic tournament in scoring.

Yeah, I'm an idiot because I'll take the hot hand .

The hot hand, that will more likely than not be matched up against Vlasic...because that's the babcock thing to do.

hockeylover
02-19-2014, 06:26 PM
I'm not comparing him to Crosby.

I'm stating the obvious - for all this feigned fear of Kessel by Mindz, he's forgetting that we have the best player in the world lining up on our side.

Wait, weren't you one of the people who argued Karlsson > Crosby before?

zeke
1. W P.Kessel: 4gms, 5gls, 8pts, +6
2. D E.Karlsson: 4gms, 3gls, 7pts, +5
3. W M.Grabner: 4gms, 5gls, 6pts, -2
4. D D.Doughty: 4gms, 4gls, 6pts, +4
5. D D.Weber: 4gms, 3gls, 5pts, +3

6. C M.Granlund: 4gms, 3gls, 5pts, +3
7. W J.VanRiemsdyk: 4gms, 1gls, 5pts, +7
8. C J.Pavelski: 4gms, 1gls, 5pts, +2
9. W A.Radulov: 5gms, 3gls, 6pts, +4
10. C P.Datsyuk: 5gms, 2gls, 6pts, +3

Nobody else over a ppg.

TimHorton
Yes he was, but that doesn't play well here.

TheCountofMonteCristo
02-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Read the thread.

would have taken you less time to type the number than your snarky response

hockeylover
02-19-2014, 06:30 PM
would have taken you less time to type the number than your snarky response

Just don't see how it makes a difference to be honest.

MindzEye
02-19-2014, 06:32 PM
I'm not comparing him to Crosby.

There's nothing feigned about it. We're a big slow team, on big ice, and the best player in the tournament so far is the 3rd leading scorer in the NHL with a toolkit that is perfect for big ice.

If you're not concerned that he's single handedly matched the production of our entire forward group going into this game, and instead cling to silly titles like "best player in the world", then spotting the idiot is easy.

hockeylover
02-19-2014, 06:34 PM
He's right that Crosby has the talent to break out at any time. I hope it happens because we need it. There's just more reason to be afraid of USA's forwards at this point.

TimHorton
02-19-2014, 06:36 PM
Crosby has been an abortion at the Olympics both times he's shown up. I hope he explodes, but I have no idea why anyone would expect it?

hockeylover
02-19-2014, 06:38 PM
I think it's gonna be close on Friday.

MindzEye
02-19-2014, 06:39 PM
He's right that Crosby has the talent to break out at any time. I hope it happens because we need it. There's just more reason to be afraid of USA's forwards at this point.

He's absolutely right that Crosby can go into beast mode at any given time and be the best player in any game. The problem is, he hasn't been the best player in any game we've played yet in this tournament (despite HC bringing a useless plug of a winger just because the guy has "chemistry" with Crosby...chemistry that appears to have disappeared), and the best player in the tournament to this point is on the team we're facing.

Everything Crosby is supposed to be for us, Kessel has been for the US so far. Corky is just ass hurt because he's never given Phil his due and looks ridiculous about it. The awkward **** is one of the best players in the world, and has been on a 2 month tear that a struggling Team Canada is about to walk into the middle of in a knock out format tourney.

MyNameIsJonas
02-19-2014, 06:40 PM
Kessel has better linemates than Sid at the moment

MindzEye
02-19-2014, 06:43 PM
Kessel has better linemates than Sid at the moment

You'd be hard pressed to find a lot of hockey people who would agree that JVR - Pavelski is better than Kunitz - St Louis/Bergeron.

MyNameIsJonas
02-19-2014, 06:48 PM
**** hockey people Kunitz is inferior. and Kessel has those cats going. Crosby doesn't have his

leafman101
02-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Well Kessel is the American Crosby.

corksens
02-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Wait, weren't you one of the people who argued Karlsson > Crosby before?

No. I wasn't.

worm
02-19-2014, 06:56 PM
Hopefully Babcock puts Subban in for hamhuis.

or for JT
need some offense from the forwards

Metalleaf
02-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Subban for Hamhuis makes the most sense, but Canada doesn't make decisions that make sense.

hockeylover
02-19-2014, 07:08 PM
No. I wasn't.

Best player in the game you said. Bob McKenzie said so, you said. Then you changed it to "most-impactful".

Don't lie, the posts are saved.

blacksheep
02-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Then you are an idiot.

When the U.S. have beaten us solidly, and Kessel ends up with more goals than Crosby this Olympics, I'll be curious to read your drivel then.

corksens
02-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Best player in the game you said. Bob McKenzie said so, you said. Then you changed it to "most-impactful".

Don't lie, the posts are saved.I said most-impactful up until his injury. Different than saying >.

But even then instead of engaging in the fight I said behind Crosby. None of this is relevant to the discussion though.

corksens
02-19-2014, 08:24 PM
When the U.S. have beaten us solidly, and Kessel ends up with more goals than Crosby this Olympics, I'll be curious to read your drivel then.Will that change anything?

Crosby is the best player on the planet - better than Kessel. If I am picking on I am going with Crosby...you would too.

PKForce81
02-19-2014, 08:28 PM

This is how i see it. We keep doing exact same shit as usual. The cycle game gives us chances but nothing amazing(many weak shots from bad angles). USA will be pinned in their own end but all of a sudden one quick pass and Phil is out of the zone going 2 on 1...Puck is in the back of the net. Add that a few more times..we manage 1 goal and it's over. We should have added some youth with skill and speed(Hall, Eberle etc) instead of so many of these imobile guys who depend mostly on their size.

worm
02-19-2014, 08:31 PM
eberle isnt fast

angelfish
02-20-2014, 07:06 AM
I see this as team Canada faking everyone out (Rope a Dope). They are still in it. Too much talent on the team. They have everyone in a panic. I'm not concerned as I belive they will come out and fake out an unsuspecting US team and go forward to the Gold Metal Game. :couch

WellPlayed
02-20-2014, 07:35 AM
Weren't we playing pretty shitty in 2010 as well, until we thumped the Russians in the Semis?

CTheBigPicture
02-20-2014, 08:04 AM
We weren't great but at least had one breakout game against Norway (8-0). And I don't remember nearly as many line shuffling.

Artnes
02-20-2014, 08:08 AM
We got this. The 2010 juju will work against the US

Metalleaf
02-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Weren't we playing pretty shitty in 2010 as well, until we thumped the Russians in the Semis?

After we lost to the Americans in the round robin, we beat Germany in a qualification game, then hammered Russia in the quarterfinals and beat Slovakia in a nail biter.

zeke
02-20-2014, 10:11 AM
The americans are the first team that is actually gonna try and play with us, which should mean our forwards will be able to create some real offense this game, especially off the rush.

JaysCyYoung
02-20-2014, 11:35 AM
Yeah, this game might actually work in Canada's favour. Instead of doing the gay-ass European trapping shit, the Americans play a free-wheeling, fast and open offensive game that should help Canada generate more chances offensively.

It's the first time we might see some decent hockey.

worm
02-20-2014, 11:36 AM
Canada is going to trap it up.

JaysCyYoung
02-20-2014, 11:38 AM
Hey now, Jacques Lemaire was on the coaching staff in Vancouver, not here.

Artnes
02-20-2014, 11:40 AM
It was hard to generate offense in a clogged up offensive zone for 50 mins a game. Expect to see a different team tomorrow.

worm
02-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Hey now, Jacques Lemaire was on the coaching staff in Vancouver, not here.

I actually expect it. Trap it up and go for the counter punch.

JaysCyYoung
02-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Are any of you familiar with the WWI term "Lions led by donkeys?"

worm
02-20-2014, 11:42 AM
no

JaysCyYoung
02-20-2014, 11:43 AM
Look it up.

It describes Team Canada in most tournaments quite aptly.

zeke
02-20-2014, 03:13 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bg8bKYWCQAAMOI7.jpg:large

trujaysfan
02-20-2014, 03:16 PM

Bubbly Snipes?

Matrim
02-20-2014, 03:16 PM

LMAO This is my new favorite picture.

JaysCyYoung
02-20-2014, 03:17 PM

Oh my God that's fantastic.

worm
02-20-2014, 03:40 PM
amazing

TheCountofMonteCristo
02-20-2014, 03:53 PM

We played them in QF, had nailed Germany in the qualification game.

JaysCyYoung
02-20-2014, 04:03 PM
Knocked around Germany 8-2 and then hammered Russia 7-3 (and both scores could have been even more lopsided as the Germans and Russians scored a goal each late).

Could have been 8-1 and 7-2.

Metalleaf
02-20-2014, 04:08 PM
Smaller ice and almost no smothering trap style hockey.

zeke
02-20-2014, 04:18 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/images/collegefootball/bieber-billboard.jpg

ForeverTML
02-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Why the eff do the Americans have the last change??

worm
02-20-2014, 05:54 PM
Why the eff do the Americans have the last change??

finished 2nd.....we finished 3rd

but im not even sure that is the reason

MindzEye
02-20-2014, 05:56 PM
Because Freedom, Bald Eagles, Fake Titties, and Shit

TimHorton
02-20-2014, 05:57 PM
I will not hear a bad word about fake titties!

MindzEye
02-20-2014, 05:59 PM
and I won't utter one...so all seems to be well.

worm
02-20-2014, 07:13 PM
fake fake tits are gross

TheCountofMonteCristo
02-20-2014, 07:52 PM
finished 2nd.....we finished 3rd

but im not even sure that is the reason

I think they had a better goal difference

Metalleaf
02-20-2014, 08:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svkK4JVtpTE

worm
02-20-2014, 08:31 PM
sakic is all kinds of awesome

BeLeafer
02-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Hopefully, one of the other coaches has talked some ****ing sense into Babcock.

It feels like this will be a blow out one way or the other. Canada might catch the US with their guard down or the US will just paste these ****ers.

BeLeafer
02-20-2014, 08:39 PM

That Jeeeoooe Sakic call is one of my all time favourites.

It's enough to make one cry that we have that doofus instead of Cole calling the game.

CH1
02-20-2014, 09:46 PM
That squad seems more loaded with sure fire HOF forwards.

Metalleaf
02-20-2014, 09:59 PM
Iginla-Sakic-Shanahan
Kariya-Lemieux-Yzerman
Nolan-Nieuwendyk-Gagne/Smyth
Lindros-Peca-Fleury

Pronger-Niedermayer
Blake-Foote
Brewer-MacInnis
Jovanovski

Brodeur
Belfour
Joseph

Metalleaf
02-20-2014, 10:04 PM
12 current/future hall of famers on that team.

Matrim
02-20-2014, 10:41 PM

This group has maybe half that.

Deckie007
02-20-2014, 10:45 PM
But it has great chemistry.

trujaysfan
02-20-2014, 10:47 PM
But it has great chemistry.

Kunitz, Bergeron, Vlasic and Hamhuis for HHOF

JaysCyYoung
02-20-2014, 10:51 PM

I count 15 inducted/legitimate future inductees.

Metalleaf
02-20-2014, 10:53 PM
Dunno if I'd call Foote/Blake/CuJo future HHoFs.

JaysCyYoung
02-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Dunno if I'd call Foote/Blake/CuJo future HHoFs.

Blake is absolutely a Hall of Famer and I would put money on him being one. Every single player in history who has been named to at least four year-end All-Star Teams is in the Hall of Fame, excluding Carl Brewer. And I don't need to tell you that is entirely related to his involvement in forming the original players' union and being a very independent, unique player at a time that they were all identical factory models.

Add in his Norris Trophy, Olympic gold medal, and status as the top defenceman on one of the most dominant championship teams in NHL history and Blake gets in comfortably. I would say in the next two years.

Lindros and Fleury also have legitimate chances, Fleury particularly improving his chances significantly over the past few years by coming forward with the admission of sexual abuse he suffered as a player (which explains away his "eccentricities" during his career).

Metalleaf
02-20-2014, 10:57 PM
I included Lindros, but not Fleury.

JaysCyYoung
02-20-2014, 10:59 PM

Fleury > Joe Mullen/Bernie Federko > Glenn Anderson >>>>> Clark Gillies

JaysCyYoung
02-20-2014, 11:07 PM
I'm just splitting hairs for what it's worth for the sake of conversation. In any event, that 2002 Canadian team is one of the best teams of all-time.

Pronger84
02-20-2014, 11:10 PM

I think Fleury makes the HOF.

CTheBigPicture
02-20-2014, 11:39 PM

that play by Lemieux....one of the best plays ever!

Metalleaf
02-20-2014, 11:41 PM
Yep, never seen a better decoy play since.

hockeylover
02-20-2014, 11:49 PM
Watching that video makes me really ****ing sad we get that twerp Hughson doing play by play.

What'd we do to deserve him, Simpson and Healy?

LeafGm
02-20-2014, 11:55 PM
Watching that video makes me really ****ing sad we get that twerp Hughson doing play by play.

What'd we do to deserve him, Simpson and Healy?
Yeah, it's pretty shameful stuff. Sadly, it's probably only going to get worse, with the company that's had Doug MacLean, Nick Kypreos, Darren Millard and Bill Watters as their signature on-air hockey "talent" taking over the broadcast.

MindzEye
02-21-2014, 12:17 AM
Watching that highlight package....

1) Bob & Harry >>>>>>>> seriously, they need to clone those ****ers

2) That Lemieux dummy, while it looks pedestrian to a footy fan, is so much harder when on ice, if you're not 100% sure that your winger is in perfect position. It just happens so much faster, not only on ice, but on a rush play.

3) Sakic...dat release

4) Anyone notice that it was all high skill players making a difference? No grinders, pluggers, etc. Everyone who did anything in that video pack was gamebreaker talent. Yet we never learn from this shit.

JohnnyHolmes
02-21-2014, 12:32 AM
I think that Team USA is going to spank us, and we will deserve it.

Artnes
02-21-2014, 08:23 AM
CBC had a great replacement in Cuthbert but managed to **** that up royally.

I think I'd rather listen to Mansbridge call a game then Hughson.

MyNameIsJonas
02-21-2014, 08:30 AM
Hughson and Healy are butchering the Finland/Sweden game.

" there's no intensity"
" there's no hate"

Metalleaf
02-21-2014, 08:36 AM
There's intensity and hate from the listeners.

leafman101
02-21-2014, 08:40 AM
Hughson is the worst play by play man in the history of sports. The only guy who sucks the excitement out of the game, instead of enhancing it. Thats his only job too. No one cares if Toews passes the puck to Sharp. His only job is to add emotion.

There is literally no difference between live Hughson, and NHL 98 15 year old technology computer Hughson calling a game.

ToanVu
02-21-2014, 08:53 AM
I think that Team USA is going to spank us, and we will deserve it.

this will be the first game cares about enough to try. easy win for canada

MyNameIsJonas
02-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Hughson is the worst play by play man in the history of sports. The only guy who sucks the excitement out of the game, instead of enhancing it. Thats his only job too. No one cares if Toews passes the puck to Sharp. His only job is to add emotion.

There is literally no difference between live Hughson, and NHL 98 15 year old technology computer Hughson calling a game.

GREAT SAVE...LUONGO

leafman101
02-21-2014, 09:01 AM
Finland with another close, one goal game, against Sweden.

MyNameIsJonas
02-21-2014, 09:06 AM
by all accounts Sweden should have shut them out.

That was a wacky Finn goal.

MyNameIsJonas
02-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Kunitz Crosby Bergeron remains intact

Duchene 4th line C.

MyNameIsJonas
02-21-2014, 09:47 AM
I assume

Kunitz Crosby Bergeron
Marleau Toews Carter
Benn Getzlaf Perry
Sharp Duchene Nash
St Louis

I almost like the bottom 2 lines more than the top 2

zeke
02-21-2014, 10:31 AM
almost?

JaysCyYoung
02-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Listening to Jim Hughson gives one's ears malignant cancer. He's that bad.

JaysCyYoung
02-21-2014, 10:41 AM
CBC had a great replacement in Cuthbert but managed to **** that up royally.

I think I'd rather listen to Mansbridge call a game then Hughson.

Cuthbert is fantastic, I agree.

"Sidney Crosby...THE GOLDEN GOAL!" is one of the best goal calls ever. Simplistic, full of emotion, but he didn't over-do it or insert too much commentary. He let the moment speak for itself.

worm
02-21-2014, 10:42 AM

i prefer mark lee

MyNameIsJonas
almost?

yeah poor words, though i would bet lines 2 and 3 get the same ice

Benn Getzlaf and Perry is the only line i like

MyNameIsJonas

combine it with the banter from Simpson and Healy too and it's god ****ing awful

JaysCyYoung
02-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Craig Simpson is apparently one of the most miserable bastards in hockey too. Total primma donna. **** him, I'm glad we drafted Wendel.

worm
02-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Cuthbert is fantastic, I agree.

"Sidney Crosby...THE GOLDEN GOAL!" is one of the best goal calls ever. Simplistic, full of emotion, but he didn't over-do it or insert too much commentary. He let the moment speak for itself.

he is the best one in canada

what happened with CBC and him?

Metalleaf
02-21-2014, 10:48 AM
CBC was cheap and TSN brought him in to do CFL and NHL.

Leafovic
02-21-2014, 10:58 AM
CBC has had amazing commentators over its history.

Bob Cole. Chris Cuthbert. Mark Lee. Ken Daniels. Don Wittman. Dick Irvin. (not the best but unique voice) Probably missing one or two as well.

They could have kept Cuthbert, Daniels, or even given Lee more time.

Wayward DP
02-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Hughson is a black mark on the CBC. When you're the voice of EA video games, I'm not sure that's a compliment.

Habspatrol
02-21-2014, 11:01 AM
I hate Babcock... what a moron.

KingTucker
02-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Jonas Siegel‏@jonasTSN105016 mins
Canada Lines: Kunitz-Crosby-Bergeron. Marleau-Toews-Carter. Benn-Getzlaf-Perry. Sharp-Duchene-Nash. St. Louis.

Jonas Siegel‏@jonasTSN105016 mins
Canada Defence: Keith-Weber. Vlasic-Doughty. Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo. Hamhuis. Goaltender: Price.

Metalleaf
02-21-2014, 11:05 AM
I hate Babcock... what a moron.

All will be forgiven if they win.

zeke
02-21-2014, 11:08 AM
The two highest-minute lines there are made up of one great player and 5 guys that should be 4th liners on team canada.

KingTucker
02-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Team USA Lineup vs. Canada

Dustin Brown – David Backes – Ryan Callahan
Zach Parise – Ryan Kesler – Patrick Kane
James van Riemsdyk – Joe Pavelski – Phil Kessel
Max Pacioretty – Paul Stastny – T.J. Oshie
Blake Wheeler

Cam Fowler – Kevin Shattenkirk
Brooks Orpik – John Carlson
Ryan Suter – Ryan McDonagh
Justin Faulk

Jonathan Quick
Ryan Miller

Scratched: Paul Martin, Derek Stepan, Jimmy Howard

Looks like no real changes and damned if I'm not feeling a little nervous on this one, that third line could kill us early.

Metalleaf
02-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Martin is a decent loss for the US.

MyNameIsJonas
02-21-2014, 11:17 AM
Bergeron on Sid's wing is a disservice to Sid, and to Bergeron....it's mind boggling.

Wayward DP
02-21-2014, 11:18 AM
US has a crazy balanced line up. Size, skill, speed top to bottom. And of course Phil.

MyNameIsJonas
02-21-2014, 11:18 AM
I think we need the Toews group to shut down Kessel's, and for the Getlaf line to be beasting since it's easily the best one that muppet constructed.

I'm also terrified that the U.S. forwards on the penalty kill are going to abuse Sharp on the point for a shorty, they are so damn quick

worm
02-21-2014, 11:21 AM
Bergeron on Sid's wing is a disservice to Sid, and to Bergeron....it's mind boggling.

Ya. I dont get it.

worm
02-21-2014, 11:22 AM
US has a crazy balanced line up. Size, skill, speed top to bottom. And of course Phil.

Yet only 3 of those forwards are good enough to make team Canada.

Babcock...ugh.

hockeylover
02-21-2014, 11:47 AM
Hoping the suggestion that a more wide open game will help to get some of our offensive players going proves correct.

Shame this isn't the final.

Metalleaf
02-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Is hughson calling a hockey game or reading me a story book?

hockeylover
02-21-2014, 11:49 AM
This is gonna be a way more entertaining game to watch isn't it.

Thrill showing that speed immediately.

Matrim
02-21-2014, 11:51 AM
To mute or not to mute. Hughson sucks so much, this is ****ing Canada vs. USA, show some excitement.

Metalleaf
02-21-2014, 11:54 AM
Kessels gonna be forced to play defence in this game.

zeke
02-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Kessel rules.

MindzEye
02-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Corky can go **** himself....Phil Kessel gets one touch, and turns it into the best chance of the game for the US.

zeke
02-21-2014, 12:00 PM
surprised at how good the US looks so far.

thought we'd control the play at least.

hockeylover
Yeah, Kessel's flying out there. Don't think we overstated anything.

hairnova
Kessel is gonna be a handful in this one.

Volcanologist
Kessel and Price have been great early on.

Metalleaf
02-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Both teams have looked good, no shitty trap hockey.

leafman101
02-21-2014, 12:01 PM
First good hockey of the tournament.

leafman101
02-21-2014, 12:02 PM
And Kessel is so dangerous on the small ice. Give him all that space on the big ice and its impossible to contain him.

zeke
02-21-2014, 12:12 PM
so crazy that Jeff Carter is our best forward this tourney. says it all, really.

Metalleaf
02-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Canada >> US so far IMO.

Metalleaf
02-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Crosby has no puck luck so far, every time he gets a puck it takes a crazy bounce.

zeke
02-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Kunitz stinks.

ForeverTML
02-21-2014, 12:15 PM
We need to finish some of these plays, our forwards look like they are squeezing the sticks.

zeke
02-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Crosby has no puck luck so far, every time he gets a puck it takes a crazy bounce.

at least he looks like he decided to show up today finally.

zeke
02-21-2014, 12:17 PM
kunitz, marleau, argh.

Killer93
02-21-2014, 12:17 PM
**** you Marleau

CH1
02-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Kunitz stinks.

Playing like a guy who's in over his head and knows it.

ForeverTML
02-21-2014, 12:21 PM
"Kunitz missess the net"

heh, come on.

zeke
02-21-2014, 12:22 PM
this is gonna be a nailbiter.

Metalleaf
02-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Canada keeps playing like that, it will be over soon.

Matrim
02-21-2014, 12:25 PM
As much as Canada is controlling the play, the Americans look more dangerous.

zeke
02-21-2014, 12:29 PM
Canada with the moderate possession edge, but USA with more fastbreak chances. Overall quality scoring chances pretty even.

Metalleaf
02-21-2014, 12:30 PM
US didn't generate a whole lot after the first 10 minutes.

axlsalinger
02-21-2014, 12:39 PM
Jamie Benn >

leafman101
02-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Sweet play by J-Bo.

Blueman
02-21-2014, 12:42 PM
I heart Jamie Benn

Deckie007
02-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Interesting penalty...

Killer93
02-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Marleau and Kunitz should be benched

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
02-21-2014, 01:05 PM

Yeah they have been terrible.

zeke
02-21-2014, 01:06 PM
that was close.

Metalleaf
02-21-2014, 01:09 PM

Marleaus been alright since that penalty.

leafman101
02-21-2014, 01:10 PM
http://vansunsportsblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/34fz7yh.gif

zeke
02-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Canada's the better team and it shows, but price is gonna have to make a few more saves in the third to seal the deal here.

worm
02-21-2014, 01:19 PM
that one that went through price was scary

BG
02-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Price has been great, Quick too. Gotta say, as mediocre as Carter has been the last few seasons, he's shown decent speed in this tournament.

Killer93
02-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Has St. Louis been playing?

trujaysfan
02-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Has St. Louis been playing?

0 min in 1st period and i believe it was the same in the 2nd

SundinsTooth
02-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Price is excellent.

zeke
02-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Kessel's gonna create a goal this period.

zeke
Price is excellent.

yep. he's having a game.

Killer93
Americans blocking everything

zeke
02-21-2014, 01:33 PM
Big Fat Rick Nash <<<

zeke
02-21-2014, 01:36 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhBHgbsCYAAyVSs.png:large

Killer93
02-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Time to shorten the bench babc0ck

zeke
02-21-2014, 01:39 PM
every shift kessel making something happen. and he's the only one.

Killer93
02-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Awful PP lets go boys!

Killer93
02-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Kunitz has the finish of Ponikorovsky

leafman101
02-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Its unreal how many great, wide open net chances Kunitz has been set up with and just flubbed. Makes you wonder how much Crosby could score if he didn't play with Kunitz and Dupuis. He turns those guys into legit first line production.

Killer93
02-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Carter lol owned by Carlson

Killer93
02-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Sweet win!

Montana
02-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Too easy

Killer93
02-21-2014, 01:53 PM
Unreal defensive performance by the Canadians

axlsalinger
02-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Can't believe how awful this team is, with all these awful players and awful coaches.

#goldmedalfinal #undefeated

#winning

trujaysfan
Boom

Metalleaf
Canadians are like Montana, ****ing robots.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
02-21-2014, 01:56 PM
WOOOOOOOOO!

da_next_kid
US was outclassed after the first 6-7 minutes of the game.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
President Obama now owes Prime Minister Harper two cases of beer.

Habsy
Price with the shutout... any more doubters?

Habsy
02-21-2014, 01:57 PM
President Obama now owes Prime Minister Harper two cases of beer.

Well, two cases of American beer = 1 case Canadian for alcohol content anyway.

trujaysfan
02-21-2014, 01:57 PM
http://media0.giphy.com/media/12zd7J5yCcV476/giphy.gif

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
02-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Well, two cases of American beer = 1 case Canadian for alcohol content anyway.

LOL! Very true.

CH1
02-21-2014, 01:58 PM
As convincing a victory as a 1-0 score can be. This is game porn for all the egghead coaches behind the bench.

da_next_kid
02-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Price has been extremely solid the whole tournament. Makes you wonder how he would do on in front of a team that was actually decent.

Habsy
As convincing a victory as a 1-0 score can be. This is game porn for all the egghead coaches behind the bench.

What a boring ****ing game. Canada is ruining hockey.

:couch

Volcanologist
great win.

Kessel and JVR didn't get hurt, which is nice too.

Habsy
02-21-2014, 02:00 PM
Price was extremely solid the whole tournament. Makes you wonder how he would do on in front of a team that was actually decent.

And there is my point. People argue a goalie's save percentage isn't team dependent yet Price has been good in international play and pretty much whenever he isn't playing with the Habs in front of him. Trade him to a better team and he wins the cup. Price on Chicago would be ridiculous.

zeke
02-21-2014, 02:01 PM
nice.

game turned into a bit of a dud after a hot start but this team is built to win ugly i guess.

Habsy
02-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Canada-Sweden will be another grind it out low scoring affair. Gotta get to Lundquist early. He has been known to get a little rattled with people in his grill. Gallagher gets to him all the time.

CH1
02-21-2014, 02:04 PM
What a boring ****ing game. Canada is ruining hockey.

:couch

HA As you know I didn't mean it that way. Just a quasi flawless effort that tactically diffused any US threat.

JohnnyHolmes
02-21-2014, 02:08 PM
great win.

Kessel and JVR didn't get hurt, which is nice too.

Typical Leafs. Don't show up when it counts most.

Metalleaf
02-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Canada-Sweden will be another grind it out low scoring affair. Gotta get to Lundquist early. He has been known to get a little rattled with people in his grill. Gallagher gets to him all the time.

I get the feeling he'll be getting a large dose of Corey Perry.

axlsalinger
02-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Bobby Ryan would have made all the difference.

Montana
02-21-2014, 02:10 PM
Typical Leafs. Don't show up when it counts most.

heh

awesome.

CH1
02-21-2014, 02:12 PM
USA's best defense was Kunitz